Pakistanis happier than Indians: Gallup survey

Blackwater

Washington, April 21 (IANS) India has ranked 71st in happiness with only 17 percent people describing themselves as 'thriving' in a new study of well-being that gives Denmark the top spot among 124 countries surveyed.

With Danes ranked the most contented people on the planet with a whopping 72 percent of residents considering themselves 'thriving,' Sweden and Canada followed close behind, each at 69 percent in Gallup's 2010 Global Wellbeing Survey.

The US came in somewhat near the middle of the pack, with 59 percent of Americans thriving.

A majority of Indians (64 percent) believe they are 'struggling' while 19 percent think they are 'suffering' according to the survey. Surprisingly Pakistanis were found to be happier. Pakistan was ranked 40th with 32 percent 'thriving'. Among other neighbours, Bangladesh was placed 89 with only 13 percent thriving, while China was ranked 92 with only 12 percent happy respondents.

A median of just 21 percent were found to be 'thriving' in the Gallup survey polling 1,000 adults, age 15 and older, in both face-to-face and telephone interviews in each country throughout 2010.

Outside of Europe and the Americas, however, other nations fared considerably less well. A mere 12 percent of the population considered themselves to be thriving in Egypt, followed by 6 percent in Kenya and, dead last, Chad with 1 percent.
:confused::confused::confused:

http://in.news.yahoo.com/pakistanis-happier-indians-gallup-survey-040138907.html

Blackwater

I doubt that ,May be Gallup people took survey in the elite neighbourhood of karachi and lahore. As they can't go out in rural and tribal areas coz of bombing. Elite class offcourse is happy in pakistan :becky::becky::arjun::agni:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Our people have a nasty habit of underrating their lifestyles and satisfaction levels, for strange superstitions and insecurities. No wonder why Indians fool so many surveyes and market researches. We never spill the beans :p
Having said that, I'm not implying that all is well.

Regards,
Virendra

Last edited:

TheLord

This is how they feel happy...

We have no problem eating grass, we have nukes.

We don't have food? Living on aid? The Indians don't have toilet.

There is no suffering in the hands of evil Hindus. Only the Muslims kill other Muslims here, so no problem.

And the Indians have small ........

ganesh177

Country flag
I dunno about gallup but there was another survey taken some time ago and surprisingly it put all the failed nations at the top of the table like somalia and pakistan. And better nations at lower side of the ranking. And hence concluding that these failed states are hopeless to such a extent that they have no optimisum left and they have developed a skill to be happy with their miserable existence. While the better nations continuosly strive to make their tommorrow even better than today.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Of course they are happy. They have lot lower standards than us.

I mean, there are people saying that Karachi is a beautiful city. When anyone who's been to the West knows that Karachi is a shithole. The MQM is their god.

As long as we keep these n***** from an alien mama in a state of permanent low equilibrium, they'll be happy even as they're led to the slaughter house.

Jai Pakistan!
Oh yeh, and Pakistan zulmabad!

prahladh

Respected Member
how is this survey done? I mean I didn't get any survey form/link.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Indians are, by and large, idealists and hence they are not so easily pleased.

If there was a Gallup poll of bellyachers, India would head the list.

Nothing surprising at all if this poll says Indians are not a happy lot!

mehwish92

Founding Member
Country flag
I dunno about gallup but there was another survey taken some time ago and surprisingly it put all the failed nations at the top of the table like somalia and pakistan. And better nations at lower side of the ranking. And hence concluding that these failed states are hopeless to such a extent that they have no optimisum left and they have developed a skill to be happy with their miserable existence. While the better nations continuosly strive to make their tommorrow even better than today.
Psychology 101:

- Increased Money = Increased Anxiety = Decreased Happiness.

- Therefore, this survey simply proves that Indians (and other relatively better off nations) have money, Pakistanis (and other failed nations) don't

=)

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Now how many Indians does this survey makes 'unhappy' ?

And how many Pakistanis are happier over this?

Just wondering.

ganesh177

Country flag
Psychology 101:

- Increased Money = Increased Anxiety = Decreased Happiness.

- Therefore, this survey simply proves that Indians (and other relatively better off nations) have money, Pakistanis (and other failed nations) don't

=)
It also proves that money cannot buy you happiness.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Sometimes culturally its immodest to say i am rich and happy like in India. Some people like to sound modest in some countries and we all know European culture is flamboyant and immodest, statics dont take a lot of things like that into consideration. Its also how people express themselves culturally.

pmaitra

Recall Wystan Hugh Auden's The Unknown Citizen or The Unknown Man. It talks about hedonism.

Some cultures like flamboyancy while some are modest. Some like to show off while some like to hide from others. Some deliver on the ground while some offer lip service.

Or course, it is a common refrain among many Pakistanis that they are a 'superior race', they 'defeated India in all/most wars' and their weapons are 'better' while in practise they are the ones who got drubbed almost each time. How one responds to certain questions depends a lot on his or her mindset.

Being happy with a banana in the hand or cribbing about cream on a cup of ice-cream is, so to speak, subjective and rather inconclusive when it comes to statistics. This begs the question, what is the credibility of this 'Gallup survey' anyway?

gogbot

What we can gather from this is that Indian's expect more and have a yearning to imporve our lot in life, unlike our neighbors , considering that pace at which lifestyles are changing in India this makes good sense. some of the 64 % of people who consider themselves struggling will be people who have yet to find peace or mind or financial security.

India has loads of problems with which one can find themselves struggling and suffering but i cant see how in A country like Pakistan that statistic can be any better.

Pak has
Unstable government
Out of control terrorism and militancy
Rolling power cut's due to huge shortages
Recovering from disastrous Floods 1 year back
Economy one the edge of bankruptcy
US bombing their country with drones
Public services as bad as any where else in south Asia , if not worse
Heavy tax burden from Huge Government debt(then again i keep hearing that most of them don't, pay tax)

I mean what exactly are they thriving on , what's the engine at work here
The most prosperous profession in Pakistan still seems to be the corrupt politician
Their elite Seem to flock to the UK every chance they get.

India has list of states each offering different opportunity , lifestyles and Standards of living.
Admittedly some worse than others but some which are actually decent.
And despite our own Bran drain , we have actually had people coming back to make lives in India.

In Pakistan one has to only leave Punjab to enter a war zone.
I guarantee u these guys went to do that poll in Pakistan and they only asked people in zones declared safe for foreigners.

With the current state of events Pakistan and Thriving is a juxtaposition.

Honestly the Pak people should be up in arms like the Egyptians over throwing their government , instead they seem to be content enough to put down thriving as their current condition

bhramos

Country flag
Our people have a nasty habit of underrating their lifestyles and satisfaction levels, for strange superstitions and insecurities. No wonder why Indians fool so many surveyes and market researches. We never spill the beans :p
Having said that, I'm not implying that all is well.

Regards,
Virendra
thats true, i have seen it, as i'm from a middle class family, and urban place, here people and neighbours write their elder people names who are dead in population, ration cards and voter surveys, so that they are not dead for them........

GPM

Tihar Jail
Banned
Any such indices are generally misleading.

Anyway, a nation trying to progress cannot have happy citizens at 100%. Large % of happy citizens are present only in lethargic nations, content with what their begging bowls contain. A beggar will tell you he is the happiest person in the town.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles