Pakistani youth 'prefer Sharia to democracy'

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

Pakistani youth would prefer Islamic law or military rule over democracy, a British Council survey suggests.

More than half of 5,000 18-29 year-old Pakistanis polled said democracy had not been good for them or the country.Furthermore, 94% said Pakistan was going in the wrong direction - a figure up from 50% in 2007.

Almost a third of registered voters in Pakistan are under 30 years old, and are expected to play a big part in a general election due in May.When asked to pick the best political system, both Sharia and military rule were favoured over democracy.The survey points towards a pessimistic generation, disenchanted with democracy after five years of civilian rule, says the BBC's Orla Guerin in Islamabad.

Most of those surveyed had more faith in the army than any other institution.Approval ratings for the military were about 70% compared with just 13% for the government.A quarter of respondents said they had been directly affected by violence, or had witnessed a serious violent event.

That figure rose to more than 60% in the tribal areas bordering Afghanistan.The greatest concern for most was rising prices, not terrorism: Almost 70% said they were worse off now than five years ago.While many young people are registered to vote, less than half of those surveyed said they were certain they would do so.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Mashallah !
Jinnah was wrong. Proved tet again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Shirman

Country flag
Mashallah !

a man can be wrong he can also do wrong but devils are those who make others commit wrong and go on wrong path.......

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
This is the whole problem with Pakistani society. They live in an illusion that all their problems are because they are not following the "true path of Islam" and the moment they start following the "true path" they will automatically become a blessed society.

Of course, what this means is, the Pakistani populace will vote for thugs like Jamaat-E-Islami and Imran Khan, to get their "pure Islam".

This will be their undoing. Watch this space, and tell me in 1 year if I am wrong.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
This is the whole problem with Pakistani society. They live in an illusion that all their problems are because they are not following the "true path of Islam" and the moment they start following the "true path" they will automatically become a blessed society.

Of course, what this means is, the Pakistani populace will vote for thugs like Jamaat-E-Islami and Imran Khan, to get their "pure Islam".

This will be their undoing. Watch this space, and tell me in 1 year if I am wrong.
Guess what like us Pakistanis subscribe to cultural superiority beliefs.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
the figure is wrng or they have done the survey in agencies only

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
the figure is wrng or they have done the survey in agencies only
Since its done by brits they mustve done it in middle class areas

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Guess what like us Pakistanis subscribe to cultural superiority beliefs.

Nowhere close to us. Will type more about this tomorrow, its past midnight. :sleep:

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Since its done by brits they mustve done it in middle class areas

may be

but this is certainly next to impossible in pakistan..even the taliban are not able to do this in FATA

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Well why don't they just let Talibunnies roll into Islamabad and Rawalpindi. Oh wait they are already in Rawalpindi. Next stop Islamabad

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag

Pakistani youth would prefer Islamic law or military rule over democracy, a British Council survey suggests.
beheadings, treating females as property , men allowed to marry 8 year olds, stonings, honor killings etc good wow and nice you dumbasses choose to go the opposite way "does the word democracy and civilization ring any bells in your numskulls "good for you suckers

Last edited:

SLASH

The opinion would be mostly one sided as opinion of women would not have been taken. Pakistan has a dismal record of school enrolment of girls and high dropout rates.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
I don't see any harm there, Pakistan was supposed to be country to be governed by Islamic rules, and if the majority believe that ought to be the way forward, then so it should be.

Well why don't they just let Talibunnies roll into Islamabad and Rawalpindi. Oh wait they are already in Rawalpindi. Next stop Islamabad
The next logical step.

First get the Sharia implemented, then the extremists will go hammer and tong on their way and then the Afghan way, it will all come back home to roost, it always does.

The Ahmedis were discarded the same way, so are the Shias being discarded today, as kafirs. It is natural progression towards fanaticism.

If you look a little closely, it is difficult to figure out what is meant by a moderate Pakistani, because if one compares him with the definition we have here in India for a moderate, then that doesn't fit in, but such a person more resembles someone we would call an extremist here. The more right they will lean, the more they will be influenced by the Taliban school of thought, and with time will claim it to be a moderate version of Islam.

Mashallah !

There just happens to be one speech where Jinnah made reference to the minorities and that the state will mind it's business and religion be a personal thing. Ironically, Jinnah also extensively gets quoted by the Islamic hardliners of his strict leaning towards Pakistan a country only meant for Muslims, and it seems this view was presented in more speeches than one.

The opinion would be mostly one sided as opinion of women would not have been taken. Pakistan has a dismal record of school enrolment of girls and high dropout rates.
And what if majority of women also want the Sharia law.

The point being, when faith gets involved, what might seem oppressive to an open, liberal mind, the same might seem the only logical way for a mind deep in faith.

Remember, faith for majority was unquestionable, only meant to be followed. I have my doubt if the women would have given any different answer.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles