Pakistani Textbooks and Edu Sys: What went wrong with them?

OnePunchMan

Country flag
they have a education system?
since when did madrasssa provided education but i digress
wooooooowwwwww thats news to me OTOH my former firm spent more on stationary than the entire education budget of packistan NUFFF SAID.

OnePunchMan

Country flag

This probably not a private school but whatevs
bwahahahahahahahahahahaha packie girl after seeing a volcano calls it bomb blast on a mountain BC hahahahahahahahahahahah kya chu**yapa hai ye :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Zulfiqar Khan

This probably not a private school but whatevs
Oh that's Lyari - an immigrant slum town; made up of primarily Afghans, Rohingya, Bangladeshis and ect... it has rampant crime and one of the lowest standards in Pakistan; so I wouldn't be surprised.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I've studied in Pakistan for two years and 90% of what we learned in Islamiat was just about being a good human being, helping others, paying charity, brotherhood and ect...
Means you won't mind if I pick up my gun and put some bullets inside jihadi @$$ of hafiz sayeed?:eek:

vinuzap

so it means pakistan got influenced by islamic republic of iran and saudi and was juat a pawn in there war game so again its islamisation only because you took massive funding or bheek from them in the name of islam only

in the same period you faught siachin and created unrest in valley against a nation with whom 85% of your population share same dna not saudi or iran , that place called ;pakistan has religious shrine of hindus and shikh so that say what your forefathers where

condition is worse for pakistan now to because not it got influence by wahabism, islamic state , ummah and army

Flame Thrower

In some of way. Islam had always been a part of our education; but I don't get why you guys perceive it so negatively. I've studied in Pakistan for two years and 90% of what we learned in Islamiat was just about being a good human being, helping others, paying charity, brotherhood and ect...

Zia ul Haq's reign was weird; it wasn't really him pulling the string but it was many others. Iran's revolution had profound impact on Pakistan; Saudi Arabia fearing this also began to fund billions for the promotion of Wahhabism in Pakistan. Pakistan's education at this time wasn't really that standardized; so it was easy for outside interference.
C'mon man, I asked you a screen shot of Pak Textbooks

I need one word answer for above question...

With out the screen shot, no amount of words will satisfy me....

Please get me a screen shot, else don't even bother to reply.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Since this country was created, what has gone right with it so we are discussing education here.

airtel

Country flag
In some of way. Islam had always been a part of our education; but I don't get why you guys perceive it so negatively. I've studied in Pakistan for two years and 90% of what we learned in Islamiat was just about helping others, paying charity, brotherhood and ect...

Zia ul Haq's reign was weird; it wasn't really him pulling the string but it was many others. Iran's revolution had profound impact on Pakistan; Saudi Arabia fearing this also began to fund billions for the promotion of Wahhabism in Pakistan. Pakistan's education at this time wasn't really that standardized; so it was easy for outside interference.
correction , helping other Muslims , paying charity to poor Muslims , brotherhood with Muslims and etc..

what are Your views about Theory of evaluation ?? (not Darwin's theory ) .

Last edited:

airtel

Country flag
Burn these books, please!
Pervez Hoodbhoy — Updated Dec 12, 2015 06:25pm

WHATSAPP
192 Comments
Email
Print
The writer teaches physics and mathematics in Lahore and Islamabad.
NO, I take that back. Books shouldn’t ever be burned. Instead recycle the paper, use for wrapping vegetables or fish, or dispose of in some environmentally friendly way. But please keep our students away from the rotten science textbooks published by the Sindh Textbook Board (STB), an entity operating under the Sindh Ministry of Education. Else yet another generation will end up woefully ignorant of the subjects they study — physics, mathematics, chemistry, and biology. Tragically they will see these magnificent human achievements as pointless, boring, and dry as dust.

I have a pile of STB books b+efore me at the moment. Both in English and Urdu, they are the officially prescribed texts for classes 4 to 10 (ages 10 to 16) and are in current use. In addition, I have two manuscripts on general science for classes 4 and 5, scheduled for publication this year or next. My blood pressure is steadily rising as I turn the pages, and I take careful sips of water.

Imagine the torture inflicted on a class 4 kid from Sindh, a non-native speaker of English, when confronted with difficult words (no explanations provided) like ‘obesity’, ‘ulcer’, ‘characteristics’, ‘interpret’, ‘deficiency’, ‘osteoporosis’, ‘decomposers’, ‘ecoregion’, ‘translucent’, ‘trough’, ‘lukewarm’, ‘constriction’, etc. In class 5, he will be haunted by monster words like ‘monocotyledonous’ and ‘dicotyledonous’. Strewn across these unattractive books are hazy diagrams, hundreds of capitalisation and spelling mistakes, plus countless grammatically incorrect sentences.

Keep our students away from the rotten science textbooks published by the Sindh Textbook Board.
More serious than the get-up or language is the frequently wrong or nonsensical content. A doctorate in physics did not prepare me to deal with questions like: “Explain how one state of matter (solid, liquid and gases) dissolves in the other”, or with, “Explore that the greater the force, the greater the change in the distance covered by the object”. Or with an electric circuit described as, “The device that uses electricity converts it into other forms of energy such as heat, light and other forms”. Evidently someone who lacks common sense, not just knowledge of science, wrote this.

The science books in Urdu are no better. This underscores that lack of conceptual understanding — not language — is the real problem. Most teachers, and these textbook authors, don’t understand what they teach. Hence every science subject is reduced to dull drudgery and rote memorisation.

Mathematics, a beautiful subject that sharpens reasoning and logical thought, becomes a meaningless mind-deadening exercise, devoid of reason and motive. Why learn logarithms? Or matrices? I fruitlessly scoured the class 9-10 textbooks to find out. If our 15-year-olds know less math than a nine-year old Korean kid, you should know why.

The biology book (Urdu) for classes 9-10 is impossibly bad. A full-page tree chart of biological evolution, with English letterings, was obviously stolen from some unacknowledged text. But items in the chart find no mention in the text. Beyond reiterating the religious view that all life evolved from water, the book doesn’t say how life started. There are countless names of plants, animals and detailed descriptions; one dry fact follows another. But how any fact was established is not explained.

The class 9-10 physics book takes the cake. This book is so comprehensive, it says, that a student doesn’t need another. A couple of pages later the reader is told that uttering just one word brought this universe into existence “kuch lakh sal pehlay” (around 100,000 years ago). This misses the correct age of the universe by a whopping 13 billion years — so it’s wrong by more than one hundred thousand times.

Reader: ask yourself why STB books have a minimum of six authors (most have nine to 12 authors). That’s because everyone wants a share of the plunder — let consistency and pedagogy be damned! If this results in some awful gobbledygook with things scattered higgledy-piggledy, don’t be surprised. For example, one book introduces multi-cellular organisms in an earlier chapter and single-celled ones in a later one!

Let’s look at the economics of crookery. Sindh’s population is about 30 million, so each class 4 textbook title would have a print run of around 300-400 thousand. Multiplying by the number of titles, and about Rs150 per title, you see that billions of rupees are involved. The publishers, distributors, authors, and managers know the weaknesses of a public monopoly. In an opaque system, who profits how much is anybody’s guess.

It is time to dissolve the Sindh Textbook Board, and possibly its sister organisations in Punjab and KP too. Poor production quality proves that STB does not have the intellectual capacity, or organisational integrity, to deliver quality science books. Although PIA and Pakistan Steel Mills are said to be inefficient public-sector organisations, even they deliver better products.

Authorship of science textbooks by our college professors is seriously problematic. College professors, through no fault of their own, have generally received a poor education in science. Most don’t understand their subjects, and cannot solve the exercises in any decent ‘O’ or ‘A’ level textbook. Yet these badly educated persons have been entrusted with educating Sindh’s young.

The solution: instead of futilely experimenting with local authors, the government should purchase rights to adapt, translate, or cheaply reprint those books which have a good international track record. It is absurd to assume that science and math are Pakistan specific — water is H2O everywhere, and two plus two makes four even in Timbuktu. Pakistan’s universities and colleges already use books by foreign authors at the BSc, MSc, MPhil, and PhD levels. So why not extend to school books and make our science curriculum exactly that in other countries?

Pakistan needs to provide good, cheap books to its children through open competition. That only local authors are permitted violates this principle. Authors and their agents cleverly appeal to national or provincial pride but the real reason is the fat pickings. These vested interests have successfully thwarted reform and will keep doing so. The tiny number of Sindh’s children privileged to access British ‘O’ and ‘A’ level schools — and use their books — are doing okay. For the rest, one can only weep.

The writer teaches physics and mathematics in Lahore and Islamabad.

Published in Dawn, December 12th, 2015

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Report reveals why 98 percent students failed in CSS exams
A candidate wrote the question again and again to fill pages in Agriculture & Forestry paper.
ISLAMABAD (Daily Dunya) – Federal Public Service Commission (FPSC) has issued Examiners Report for the disappointing results in Central Superior Services (CSS) exams in 2016.
According to the report, a candidate had written the question again and again to fill space, pages in Agriculture & Forestry, while around 55 candidates out of 105 got zero in Applied Mathematics subject.
Only a few managed to perform well in Botany whereas some students had answered the questions in Urdu while attempting the paper of Persian Language.
A lot of the CSS exam takers filled the papers of Chemistry and Physics with unnecessary essays which generally require to the point answers.
The report by FPSC suggests that most of the candidates had grammatical and structural errors in their English papers. Around 5 percent of the people who attempted the Islamic Studies exam failed to clear it while a candidate interestingly filled the exam in Sindhi language.
80 percent people in Agriculture & Forestry and 55 percent in Applied Mathematics failed in their respective exams. Not even half the number of candidates got fifty percent marks in these exams.
Examiners Report recommends a qualification round for CSS aspirants according to which only those candidates will be allowed to sit in the exams who qualify the initial test.
It must be noted here that most of the students who failed their exams were graduates belonging from Punjab University, Peshawar University and Karachi University.
Look @Screambowl inke liye IIT ki baat kar raha tha! :doh:
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...out-of-regional-tech-meet.78015/#post-1247387

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
and those who passed they were from army who took VRS :p

Chinmoy

Country flag
this is the level of their current affairs CSS exams :p

View attachment 12615
:confused1:.... Is this question paper for Pakistani student or Indian student? Seems they are more concerned about working of Indian, US, Britain, Turkey, Chinese administration rather then their own, going by these few questions. I mean what the hell is wrong with these guys??? :doh:

Again their so called ANALyst would swear by Quran that India is Pakistan obsessive.:shoot::shoot::shoot:

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
:confused1:.... Is this question paper for Pakistani student or Indian student? Seems they are more concerned about working of Indian, US, Britain, Turkey, Chinese administration rather then their own, going by these few questions. I mean what the hell is wrong with these guys??? :doh:

Again their so called ANALyst would swear by Quran that India is Pakistan obsessive.:shoot::shoot::shoot:
this looks like class 9th SST paper :p

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag

With this type of textbooks, they dream to surpass India in S&T!

Relevant Thread:
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...-and-edu-sys-what-went-wrong-with-them.77896/

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles