Discussion in 'Pakistan' started by A.V., Feb 18, 2009.
Invincible- pakistani army can't continue without more money isn't that an army issue?
yes army does need money but it seems the discussion is getting to much economic oriented so i decided to open a new dedicated thread for the economy.
economic and army discussions can be co-related from these two threads .
this would be easier to read and track for all the members.
In response to my own unanswered question re: Pak's fulfillment of tranche parameters....
IMF to clear Pakistan's $800 mn second tranche
Islamabad:The International Monetary Fund (IMF) will approve a second $800 million tranche of its $7.6-billon loan to save Pakistan from defaulting on external payments, a senior official said Wednesday.
"The Executive Board of the IMF will approve the second tranche for Pakistan by the end of March," Pakistan's Finance Secretary Waqar Masood told DPA from Dubai, where the two sides concluded their talks.
The two teams agreed on all major macroeconomic targets for the fiscal year ending on June 30 as they reviewed financial targets set for the country to qualify for the second tranche of the IMF loan approved in November 2008.
The IMF said Pakistan was on track to comply with its economic programme. But, it warned, "the deterioration in the global economic environment and weaker economic activity call for an update of the economic framework and a recalibration of economic policies".
A senior Pakistani official privy to the talks, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the country's GDP target had been revised downward from 3.5 percent to 2.5 percent for the ongoing fiscal year, as suggested by the IMF.
Officials from the world organization and Pakistan also agreed to envisage a GDP growth target of 4 percent for the 2009-2010 fiscal.
Pakistan's central State Bank would decrease discount rates by March if inflation was brought down. Otherwise, a tight monetary policy would continue in the remaining period of the ongoing fiscal, official sources said.
Pakistan, a key ally of the West in the war against terrorism, is witnessing a deteriorating law and order situation with growing militancy in its volatile tribal areas, affecting foreign investment.
The country approached the IMF last year for a rescue package as it grappled with a 30-year high inflation rate and fast-depleting reserves that held barely enough to cover nine weeks of import bills.
Pakistan has requested a raise of $4.5 billion to the approved $7.6-billon loan in the ongoing talks with the organization. It was not clear whether the request was commended.
Source: Indo-Asian News Service
They are, but you are missing the essence of my comments. Refer to my previous posts.
I particularly agree with this, your last para:
"As for misappropriation such allegations even if true couldn't be publicly revealed as that would tantamount to NATO operations in Afghanistan being jeopardized. US is taking appropriate actions against Pakistan and Pakistan is "reaping" the benefits of its location."
26/11 calls traced to Pak serving colonel
26 Feb 2009, 0034 hrs IST, C Unnikrishnan, S Ahmed Ali & Kartikeya, TNN
MUMBAI: The VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) calls made by the 26/11 terrorists to their handlers have been traced to a serving colonel of the
Pakistani army, investigations have revealed.
Although the 11,509-page chargesheet in the 26/11 case filed by the Mumbai police on Wednesday does not spell this out explicitly, it does name the officer as Colonel R Sadatullah from the SCO.
The SCO, army sources say, stands for Special Communications Organization, a telecommunications agency of the Pakistani government which is run by officers from the army's signals corps and operates only in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir and the conflict-wracked Northern Areas.
During the 58-hour siege of Mumbai, a total of 284 calls, running into 995 minutes, were made by the terrorists using mobile phones from the Taj Mahal hotel, Oberoi-Trident and Nariman House to their handlers in Pakistan. They took the minutest of instructions from their handlers sitting in Pakistan. The Pak-based co-conspirators also gave their agents in Mumbai pep talks to keep them going.
The chargesheet says that the calls which were made over VoIP — a cheap way of making international calls using the net — were traced back to an IP address created with Callphonex, a VoIP service provider based in New Jersey, USA.
The payments for this were made by opening an account in the name of Kharak Singh from India. However, the payments to this account were made on two occasions by wire transfer through MoneyGram and Western Union Money Transfer by two Pakistani nationals, Javed Iqbal and Mohammed Ishtiaq.
These two, while communicating with Callphonex, used the e-mail id [email protected]. This e-mail id was accessed from at least 10 IP addresses, says the chargesheet. One of them, 188.8.131.52, belongs to Col R Sadatullah whose official address is SCO, Qasim Rd, Rawalpindi, Pakistan. Sadatullah's official e-mail id is [email protected], which police say is the official e-mail service for all SCO officers.
One of the wanted accused is `Major General sahab' whose name crops up repeatedly in the taped conversation between the terrorists and their handlers. Incidentally, the general manager of SCO happens to be Major General Muhammad Khalid Rao, who joined the Signals Corps in 1979.
Asked about the involvement of the Pakistani army, joint commissioner (crime) Rakesh Maria said, ``We are looking into the involvement of two army personnel, who could be supposedly serving or retired.''
The chargesheet is against 38 persons, 35 of them yet to be apprehended. The three who are in police custody include the lone Pakistani terror operative caught alive, Ajmal Amir Kasab, and two Indians, Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ansari.
The 35 wanted accused include high-profile Lashkar-e-Taiba operatives. Kasab was not brought to court because of security concerns. Described as an LeT operative responsible for the conspiracy and the attack on Mumbai, he was charged under nine different laws, including waging war on the government of India under the Indian Penal Code. The other charges are under the Foreigners' Act, the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, the Railways Protection Act, the Explosives Act, the Explosive Substances Act, the Arms Act, the Bombay Police Act and the Customs Act.
* The origin of the detonators used in explosives and the AK-47s is still not known
* M V Kuber, in which they entered Mumbai, was not hijacked
* There was no direct local support provided to the 10 terrorists
* After the terrorists landed at Badhwar Park, two took a dinghy to the shore near Oberoi
* There were no phone calls made by the terrorists to any government agency or police for negotiation
* The terrorists made a call to the Israeli embassy from Nariman House but made no demands
* The whereabouts of Al-Husseini in which the terrorists set out from Pakistan are not known
Govt. rejects peace agreement in Bajaur
Thursday, 26 Feb, 2009 | 03:05 AM PST
PESHAWAR: The government on Wednesday denied that any peace agreement had been reached with militants in Bajaur and said that security forces would continue to conduct operation in the restive tribal region.
‘There is no peace deal between the militants and the government,’ Fata secretariat said in a statement issued here. ‘The operation is continuing as originally planned,’ it said.
The official strongly denied media reports of a possible deal with the militants, insisting that the Inspector General of the Frontier Corps, Maj. Gen. Tariq Khan had in fact gone to Bajaur on Tuesday to discuss operational matters with his officers on the ground.
The statement comes in the wake of a unilateral ceasefire by militants in Bajaur tribal region.
Subsequent follow-up negotiations between tribal elders from Mamoond tribe and the political authorities fuelled speculations of a possible peace agreement between the two sides.
A senior security official told Dawn that unilateral ceasefire by the Taliban in Bajaur had in fact been prompted by a surprising occupation of two dominating heights overlooking militant stronghold of Omari in Mamoond area late Sunday night.
‘We literally caught them napping,’ the official closely involved with the operation in Bajaur said.
The move exposed militants to snipers and also put them under a virtual siege. Officials and local residents say militants had vacated Inayat Kalli, another of their strongholds, anticipating advance of paramilitary forces in the area.
Hours later, Haji Muhammad Omar not only announced a unilateral ceasefire, he also said that militants would not attack security forces and government installations and would in fact help security forces in the search operation to prove that there were no foreign militants in the area.
The official said that the government wanted militants to lay down their arms and surrender. ‘The forces will move regardless whether the militants choose to fight or not to resist. As far as the government is concerned, it will not hesitate to use force if the advance parties of the security forces were fired at or any of the posts attacked,’ the official said.
‘This sudden change of mind by the Taliban does not mean that they have had an overnight change of heart and have become good guys. This change of mind has been forced by circumstances of events. They are no longer in a dominating position. They are losing territory and their stronghold is no longer safe to ensure their security. That’s why the tribal elders they used to despise for being pro-government have now become their saviors,’ the official commented.
Pak army downplays link to 26/11 carnage
Evading the army link to 26/11 Mumbai attacks, Pakistan army has today said that chargesheet is very vague and doesn't pinpoint armyman linked to the terrorist strikes.
It also said that there are many Col Sadatullah in the Pakistan army.
The chargesheet filed on Wednesday by the Mumbai police claimed that Pak army Col Sadatullah had instructed the terrorists
But not in the SCO! Why always these pathetic attempts to skirt the real issue!
Pathetic attempt from there side to say at least. They denied everything from beginning and accepted everything same will happen with this also
This topic is of partial relevance to the discussion forthwith:
Just saw on TV that Pak naval chief has said that 26/11 is a big failure on the part of Indian Navy, and Coast guard. Not only that, he said that there is no evidence of Kasab using Sea route and must have come through Land!
Kayani asks US to give Pakistan Cobra helicopters
LAHORE: Pakistan has asked the United States to provide it military hardware, including Cobra and Apache assault helicopter gunships, a private TV channel quoted unidentified military officials as saying on Friday. According to the channel, Chief of Army Staff Gen Ashfaq Kayani gave a list of demands to the US during his meetings with senior US military officials.The sources said Pakistan had also sought spare parts for existing gunships, most of which are past their operational prime and need urgent refurbishment, the channel reported.
'313 Brigade' may hold fresh clues, say investigators
Will this be possible:
Army will stay out of politics, says Kayani
Pak navy chief retracts statement on Kasab
28 Feb 2009, 2012 hrs IST, PTI
KARACHI: Distancing himself from the controversy over his remarks that there was no evidence of Ajmal Amir Kasab taking the sea route to India to
launch terror strikes, Pakistan's navy chief on Saturday said he had not contradicted interior ministry's findings on Mumbai attacks.
Admiral Noman Bashir said there were no differences between the navy and the interior ministry on the investigation into Kasab's role in the Mumbai attacks.
Bashir, the brother of foreign secretary Salman Bashir, sparked a controversy on Friday by saying that there is no evidence that Kasab travelled from Pakistan to India by sea.
His remarks were the latest in the edition of a series of flip flops by Pakistan over the Mumbai attacks probe.
Bashir reiterated on Saturday that he did not have any evidence to suggest that Kasab had reached India via Pakistani waters but added that this did not mean he was going against the interior ministry's findings.
The Pakistan navy is not investigating the Mumbai incident and it is possible the interior ministry has evidence which he had not come across, Bashir told reporters on the sidelines of a function at the Karachi Shipyard.
"We have not been directly involved in the investigation, which is under the domain of the Interior Ministry. Therefore they are better equipped, they have better knowledge and information," he said.
Bashir also said that he had not contradicted interior ministry's findings in the probe into the attacks and Kasab's role in the incident.
"According to the information with me as of now, it is not proved that Ajmal Kasab travelled from here in a boat. We can look into this issue after we get more evidence," Bashir had said at a news conference on Friday.
When it was pointed out that interior ministry chief Rehman Malik had said that terrorists travelled from Pakistan to Indian waters in boats and these vessels had been found by Pakistani investigators, Bashir had said the navy had no evidence in this regard.
Interior Ministry chief Rehman Malik had admitted on Feb 12, when Pakistan gave its response to Indian dossier, that the Mumbai attacks were "partly" plotted on Pakistan soil and launched from its shores for which it has arrested six persons.
Malik had disclosed that Pakistani investigators had located three vessels used by the terrorists.
Bashir had also questioned why India's Coast Guard and navy had not detected Kasab and the other terrorists if they had reached Mumbai by sea.
No differences with Interior Ministry on Kasab report: Naval chief
Sunday, March 01, 2009
KARACHI: Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Noman Bashir on Saturday clarified that there were no differences between the Pakistan Navy and the Interior Ministry with regard to the report on the Ajmal Kasab case.
He was talking to reporters after the launching of the second indigenously constructed Small Tanker-cum-Utility Ship at the Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works.
Admiral Noman said the Pakistan Navy was not investigating the Mumbai case and he had no knowledge of such claims.
He said Pakistan had a coastline of 1,000 miles, all of which could not be monitored at a given time, as it could not be manned everywhere.
The naval chief said the navy was not directly involved in the investigations into the Mumbai attacks.
Admiral Noman said he had stated on Friday that the Pakistan Navy had no evidence regarding the case, but it did not mean the Ministry of Interior also had none. app
<Self edit>: The blokes seem intent on ruining their credibility.
15 militants killed in Mohmand Agency
Updated at: 1920 PST, Sunday, March 08, 2009
MOHAMAND AGENCY: Security forces in an action in Mohmand Agency killed 15 militants, sources said on Sunday.
Security forces backed by gunship helicopters pounded militants hideouts in Gorgaray, Sapri and Mula Ghani areas of Tehsil Yaka Ghand, killing 15 militants.
Meanwhile, curfew remains imposed in Machnai area of Tehsil Shabqadar during which search operation is underway.
Security forces destroyed houses of 2 local commanders of the militants identified as Ahteshamul Haq and Raheel while 3 suspects have been arrested in Tehsil Haleemzai.
Dead bodies of 14 security men handed over to families
Updated at: 1843 PST, Sunday, March 08, 2009
Dead bodies of 14 security men handed over to families PESHAWAR: The corpses of 14 slain security men kidnapped on Saturday following a clash with extremists have been handed over to their families in Mohmand Agency.
Meanwhile, security forces have declared an indefinite curfew in Machni and launched search operation.
According to sources, the dead bodies of 14 security men found in Aishakorona area of Shabkadar tehsil were shifted to the Yakaghond area after post-mortem from where they were handed over to their families.
On the other hand, security forces torched the houses of two militants’ commanders and the process was underway to demolish more hideouts.
HIT hands over 570 tanks to Pakistan Army: National Assembly body told
February 11, 2009, 9:55 pm
TAXILA, Feb 11 (APP): The Standing Committee of National Assembly on Defence Production on Wednesday was apprised that Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) has handed over 570 state of the art tanks to Pakistan Army.
During a briefing to the visiting committee headed by Sheikh Aftab Ahmed Chairman HIT Lt. General Ayyaz Salim Rana informed that HIT would handover a lot of 30 tanks to Pakistan Army by mid this year.
He said with the completion of the last batch of 30 tanks would accomplish the project of manufacturing of 600 Alkhalid and Alzarrar main battle tanks.
The HIT was awarded project by Pakistan Army in 2002. In addition to the manufacturing of tanks, HIT also manufactures Armed Personnel Carriers (APCs), Security Vehicles and other defence related machinery while it plans to start manufacture Dozers, Prime Movers, Dumpers and equipment of commercial value.
HIT has been negotiating deals for supply of Security Vehicles to provincial government of NWFP.
Chairman of the Committee while expressing satisfaction on the performance and achievements of HIT said the organization has been making highly valuable contributions in augmenting the country’s defence.
He appreciated their role and said that they have been playing vital role in saving huge amount of foreign exchange whereby offering considerable relief to the national exchequer.
Sheikh Aftab Ahmed said, “ We are proud of our defence forces which are always charged to defend the motherland.”
He assured their help to overcome hurdles on the way to export defence production of the country adding that the Committee would submit its recommendations to the government soon.
Later, the Committee also went around various factories and witnessed different stages of manufacturing different products.
The Committee also was taken to the Education Park set up for imparting quality education to the children of HIT workers and youth of surrounding areas of Taxila.
The Education Park homes Montessori school to University besides a separate educational institution for Deeni Taleem.
All visiting members of the committee including, Mian Abdus Sattar,
Sher Muhammad Baloch, Azeem Daultana, Mrs Belum Husnain, Sahibzada Muhammad Fazle Karim, Naseer Bhutta, Omer Sohail Zia Butt, Malik Nauman Ahmed Langrial, Mrs Fouzia Ejaz Khan, Muzaffar ul Mulk, and Tariq Mehmood Bajwa including Chairman planted separate saplings in the park.
The title is a bit misleading, it is intended to imply that Heavy Industries Taxila has handed over a mix of 570 Alkhalid and Alzarrar MBT's to the Pak Army so far, not as a single lot. Still, it is cause for some concern.
RIP for the security people who were killed. This entire incident only reinforces my belief that the honeymoon period of the ceasefire is coming to an end fast with the daily attacks on security personnel and the daily case of bombings....
I think they'll be fighting each other in no time again...
Ceasefire is in SWAT, this happened in Mohmand. Two different stories .
Separate names with a comma.