Pakistan Taliban crisis deepens

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Pakistan Taliban crisis deepens

An interesting article in Pakistan's Express Tribune sheds further light on the demise of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan. The article suggests that the TTP is now in terminal decline, with its leader Hakimullah Mahsud isolated due to threats from drones and from the Pakistan military.

They quote a former associate thus: "He is virtually a lonely man running for his life "¦ he is always on the move and doesn't meet even his once most-trusted lieutenants".

As I suggested below in the article on Shamim Mahsud and the TTP in South Waziristan, the reason for Hakimullah's isolation is partly due to the existence of peace talks with the Pakistan government - although I was wrong in thinking that it was the Waliur Rehman faction that was excluded from talks.

In fact, it is Hakimullah who has refused to talk to Pakistan's government - presumably under the influence of al-Qaeda and other die-hard jihadists - while Waliur Rehman from South Waziristan and Maulvi Faqir Mohammad from Bajaur are reported to be in discussions.

The latest claim from Maulvi Faqir Mohammad came 10 days ago, when he said talks were progressing and that they had so far resulted in the release of 145 Taliban prisoners. However, Mullah Dadullah, leader of the TTP in Bajaur, quickly denied the claim, adding that fighting would continue until sharia law was introduced throughout the whole of Pakistan.

The Express Tribune article says that money has dried up for the TTP and this has led to the desertion of former supporters, many of whom only fought for money. The TTP's shura, or ruling council, has shrunk from nearly 40 members to less than 10.
The reason funds are in short supply, the article speculates, is that the Afghan Taliban has stopped paying the TTP because it is now in negotiations with the Afghan government.

Presumably Pakistan will introduce an amnesty for TTP members that agree to call a truce with the government, although the ISI will be happy if they continue to fight across the border in Afghanistan.
However, if talks with the Afghan Taliban leadership are really underway, this may be difficult. The big question is where this will leave the foreign jihadists. In his recent interview (see below), Shamim Mahsud was quite happy to show correspondents the houses in the Ladda area where fighters from Turkmenistan were living and training. How will they and the other foreigners fit into the picture?

Circling the Lion's Den: Pakistan Taliban crisis deepens
It prove two things.

One is that all the hype about Pakistanis being great adherents of Islam is false and that it is all about money.

And two, the US money is running short in Pakistan since the problems and so the ISI is unable to fund the 'strategic assets'.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Or is there something more that what meets the eye?

Are the Pakistani tiring of their so called Born Again Islamic fervour realising that it is but a mug's game and that they have been fooled into believing that their cause is something that is fantabulous?!

Notwithstanding the popular belief and hype that Muslim are blind to being humans when religion is involved, I think that they are as human as the next man Jack and they care for their own existence too!

I have not been a madrassa trained and so maybe I am not correct in my belief that we all are human, irrespective what religion has to say!

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
It prove two things.

One is that all the hype about Pakistanis being great adherents of Islam is false and that it is all about money.

And two, the US money is running short in Pakistan since the problems and so the ISI is unable to fund the 'strategic assets'.
That has been proved million of times already.Pak is a blot on it's religion.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles