Pakistan Economy: News & Discussion

stew98

Ullah
Country flag
Nowdays I usually don't visit Dawn.com . Currently, the election or barbariyat on Kashmir is main topic of discussion. But I went to see the comment on article about moody's downgrade. One person commented that The delight of Indians on 'bad condition of their economy' is pure evil and the happiness will be temporary (because evil evil never wins.). In the end he proclaimed the patented Pakistani sentence that "Nothing can undone Pakistan".

I have never heard any person from any country saying that. Pakistanis are very vocal in saying that their country is undone-able.
I am always tempted to reply "Whatever has a beginning must have an end." and
"Religion, the force which made Pakistan shall unmake it."
Let me tell from my experience of talking to Terroristanis. They all are delusional to say the least. They have habit of verbal diarrhea, without backing thier point. Let me give you one example. I was chatting with this lady from Terroristan Panjab. She was telling how muslim have devastated and looted India. I said to her, "Do you know from where muslim armies were coming from? they used to come from Gazna, Afghanistan from up north. they used to loot kill people and rape women from the place they conqueror. BTW we are who still holding on to over religions and thriving because we were strong and weak like you in Terroristan were converted by sword. now you know how brain dead terroristanis like you are nothing but product the those rapes and atrocities committed. Also, don't forget to ask you father about his ancestors names you'll come to know what I'm saying".

stew98

Ullah
Country flag
If Torroristan is blacklisted then consider next week or two, PKR will cross 130.

One FATF meeting is at the corner. Last meeting in February was the thriller. It was like Pakistan narrowly dodged the graylisting. Saudi (GCC), China, Turkey were objecting, in the end the with deft diplomacy Pakistan was pushed into greylist. Saudi (Gulf Countries Corporation) got permanent membership and China got seat in head office of FATF from july.
Now the four month is over and the meeting is again in way, it will again be diplomatic heavy weight. If Pakistan is blacklisted, then it will be huge. But the blacklisting is rarest of rare case. Only North Korea and Iran has been on the list whose America is sworn enemy, But Pakistan has many resources working inside USA, Europe and UN. So, there is very little chance of happening.

mayfair

Let me tell from my experience of talking to Terroristanis. They all are delusional to say the least. They have habit of verbal diarrhea, without backing thier point. Let me give you one example. I was chatting with this lady from Terroristan Panjab.
Don't leave us hanging there..Tell us what happened next, what was her reply....

The Juggernaut

Country flag
PKR will cross 130.
It can reach 130 even without any help. If Pakistan is blacklisted, it will be HUGE. A blacklist will mean export will blocked. Oversees pakistanis will not be able to send money home which will crush of whatever of remaining incomes of state. The process to move money will become very difficult, investment will move out. People in UK, US, and Canada will get under surveillance, Many could face deportation. Blacklisting will have far off implications.

Butter Chicken

Country flag
Pakistan suffers setback in Turkish firm case as stay order vacated

ISLAMABAD: Due to the failure of the caretaker government to deposit Rs15 billion security guarantee, a stay order in favour of Pakistan on the execution of the $846 million (Rs84.6 billion) arbitration cost awarded to the Turkish firm, Karkey Karadeniz Elektrik Uretim (Karkey) in the Rental Power Projects (RPPs) case has been vacated, an official source revealed to The Express Tribune.

The official described it as a major setback for the country. The cost was imposed by the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) in RPP case.

Likewise, the sources told The Express Tribune that when the deadline to deposit the security guarantee ended on June 22, the Turkish company on Friday approached the US court for the enforcement of award against Pakistan.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
It should be noted that Pakistan's govt is under president rule due to elections, which means that there are no policy makers at the helm. Once new elected govt comes to power, paki economy may bounce back.

prohumanity

Country flag
All India needs is a stable govt. next year and continued crackdown on corrupt ,fraudsters like Lalu, Mamta Gang, Pawar types, Kochars and Dhoorts etc.
Once the World notices that Indians have guts to create RULE OF LAW and financial cleanliness....believe me..investments will flow non stop towards India.
No one wants to invest in a place where there is too much corruption, infighting and risk to their money.
If BJP gets a clear majority again..stock markets will fly..rupee will become stable ...if "Thug Bandhan " mafia wins..run and put your money under your bed-sheet or pillow.
The corrupt snakes will rise again..more poisonous than ever...Last year I wrote to PM Modi....either don't hit the snakes...and if you do..make sure you destroy them fully....because half killed corrupt snakes are much more dangerous..

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
All India needs is a stable govt. next year and continued crackdown on corrupt ,fraudsters like Lalu, Mamta Gang, Pawar types, Kochars and Dhoorts etc.
Once the World notices that Indians have guts to create RULE OF LAW and financial cleanliness....believe me..investments will flow non stop towards India.
No one wants to invest in a place where there is too much corruption, infighting and risk to their money.
If BJP gets a clear majority again..stock markets will fly..rupee will become stable ...if "Thug Bandhan " mafia wins..run and put your money under your bed-sheet or pillow.
The corrupt snakes will rise again..more poisonous than ever...Last year I wrote to PM Modi....either don't hit the snakes...and if you do..make sure you destroy them fully....because half killed corrupt snakes are much more dangerous..
I'm withdrawing ALL my money from my banks if UPA wins in 2019.

john70

Country flag
PAKISTAN : OUR ECONOMY: THE TROUBLES ARE REAL !!!

PAKISTAN’S external sector troubles refuse to go away while the world watches everything and takes decisions accordingly.

The recent downgrading of Pakistan’s rating by Moody’s from ‘stable’ to ‘negative’ is not without reason.

In eleven months of this fiscal year, the current account deficit has increased to about $16bn, from a little more than $11bn in the year-ago period. But thanks to amortisation of roughly $4bn foreign loans obtained mostly from friendly countries, overall balance of payments showed a surplus of nearly $6.5bn.

This gave the central bank room to draw down on forex reserves for external debt servicing. But the pressure on the exchange rate, due to the massive C/A deficit, kept mounting. And, despite depleting its reserves, the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) could not keep the local currency stable. It had to let the rupee fall during the current fiscal year.

SBP’s net forex reserves have plunged to $10.264bn now (as of June 14), enough to cover imports of just a little over two months, from $16.145bn at end-June last year—showing a decline of $5.881bn or more than 36pc. And, the rupee has plummeted to 121.46 to a US dollar (as of June 21) from 104.85 per dollar at end-June last year.

All hopes pinned on a dramatic rise in foreign direct investment also collapsed and the country barely managed to haul in $2.5bn of FDI in eleven months of the fiscal year, the same as in the year-ago period.

Home remittances and exports kept growing during eleven months of this fiscal year, the former at a nominal rate of 3pc and the later at an impressive rate of 15pc. But in eleven months of the year, imports consumed $55bn—an amount that exceeded the combined earnings of exports ($21.3bn) plus remittances ($18bn) during this period.

Moody’s June 20 decision to downgrade Pakistan rating from stable to negative “is driven by heightened external vulnerability risks,” the international credit rating agency stated in a press release.

“Foreign exchange reserves have fallen to low levels and, absent significant capital inflows, will not be replenished over the next 12-18 months. Low reserves adequacy threatens continued access to external financing at moderate costs, in turn potentially raising government liquidity risks,” the press release said.

Cutting through the jargon, the statement simply means that even if Pakistan returns to the international financial markets for raising external funds via bonds, it cannot do so without offering higher interest rates because its central bank’s net forex reserves have fallen below the internationally acceptable level of equal to three months of the country’s imports bill.

And that, in turn, will further aggravate the federal government’s fiscal account because if the government makes no external borrowing at all, meeting external debt payments will become difficult but if it does borrow, it would add to an already high cost of external debt servicing. So, here we are.

This is why the caretaker government is making an all out effort to make the tax amnesty scheme, introduced by the previous political government, a success and get as much foreign exchange back home as possible.

The SBP is also lending a helping hand in this regard. In the latest move, the central bank simplified the procedure for declaring hidden assets under the ongoing tax amnesty scheme and introduced a few provisions in the rules, all aimed at ensuring that after declaration forex assets held abroad are brought back home via banking channels.

All tax payments, under the tax amnesty scheme, can be made through banking channels either from the accounts of those making tax declarations “or from the accounts of immediate family members i.e. his/her parents, children, spouse and siblings,” SBP said in a notification issued on June 21.

The central bank is understandably eager to fix the external account situation by trying to get back undeclared wealth parked abroad as the caretaker government is not authorised constitutionally to borrow funds from the International Monetary Fund (IMF). Only the next elected government can do so.

This makes holding elections on the due date of July 25, and the smooth installation of the new elected government, all the more important.

On the one hand, firefighting on the external account front continues and on the other Pakistan is also struggling to strengthen its anti-money laundering and combating financial terrorism (AML/CFT) regulations to skip any adverse action from the Paris-based Financial Action Task Force (FATF).

Just a few days ago, the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP) issued a unified set of rules and regulations to check money laundering and combating financial terrorism. And, caretaker Finance Minister Dr Shamshad Akhtar warned the corporate sector, in her maiden meeting with officials of the PSX, to behave responsibly.

Whereas the newly introduced unified set of regulations of SECP seeks compliance from corporate Pakistan, including non-bank finance companies, the central bank through an elaborate AML/CFT regime has already been seeking such compliance from all banks and development finance institutions.

In mid-June, the SBP took another important step towards deeper monitoring of banks for evaluation of risks to the entire banking system including in the area of AML/CFT and designated three banks i.e. HBL, UBL and the state-run NBP as systemically important banks.

This earned a credit positive from Moody’s and the rating agency has duly appreciated this move. In fact, by declaring the three banks as systemically important ones, the central bank has not only helped itself in risk evaluation of all kinds but has facilitated foreign regulators and credit rating agencies, officials of these banks say proudly.

Published in Dawn, The Business and Finance Weekly, June 25th, 2018

Compersion

Country flag
Do Pakis still have those grand fathered agreements in place with prc on Nuclear plants and technology that evades the ban and also sanctions placed on everyone else and rest of world.

Only seeing and observing the oil and missile transfer deal with India and others ...

Perhaps Pakis are going to be cooked and taken out to remove such silliness...

But perhaps the statement is made, codified and set to be a precedent - when sanctions and ban appear you sign grand-fathered agreements ... with unknown number of forward contracts ... it’s futures trading after all - paid for now with delivery on later date. The best is that sanctions can be waived for Pakis for behaving in much worse ways. Perhaps for even abetting and even stealing technology and sharing it with others. To even abetting nuke testing (Pakis, PRC and others). A bit like disturbing regional and western balance. A bit like how Pakis have set other mad precedents. A bit like how Pakis helped make other countries strong. Power of veto ? Power of consensus? But what about working together with India!! Unfortunately they have been set now need to rectified. Some precedents needs to be shown the consequences of their actions. This includes dealing with India and others. The faster Pakis break up and finish their current form the better for the world.

Last edited:

The Juggernaut

Country flag
The grey-list was the default option. The meeting was for putting them on the black-list. They slithered out of this one again it seems.
Blacklisting was not viable per se, only iran and North Korea are in it means it is only for few America's enemy countries, not for those who are concubines or slave.

Edit: also means that grey-list is already big thing.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles