Pakistan defers purchase of J10B Fighters

Neo

Rafale was never offered. F-16s were bought with US miltiary aid.
Rafale, Gripen and even F-18's were offered to Pakistan but the deal never materialised due financial restrains.
PAF has flown all three platforms as part of the evaluation.

Do get your facts right before you post them.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I have read about Rafale but not about F-18, so a link supporting claim on F-18 offer is requested. BTW why your pilots went for evaluation when there was no money to buy?

Kinshuk

From Pakistan's point of view, they should have considered Rafale or F 18, the time it was offered to them. The induction of JF 17 may lesson the gap eventually, but the competency of the aircraft, would be doubtful against any aircraft in India. Pakistan, today has nothing that can give a tough fight to the best aircrafts of India air force. J-10 would be introduced not before 2014 or 15 and there is no chance it can even stand against the current fleet of the IAF.

I have been advocating the same excuse that Pakistan don't have sufficient funds to procure fighters like Rafale etc as the are expensive. If we go back, for almost 2 decades, Pakistan haven't acquired any major systems for the PAF. So where is all the money that was allocated for the defense spending? Had I been a Pakistani, I would have welcomed induction of Rafale in small numbers instead of pushing money to China, when they are themselves not satisfied with the final product.

Regards,

KS

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Rafale, Gripen and even F-18's were offered to Pakistan but the deal never materialised due financial restrains.
PAF has flown all three platforms as part of the evaluation.

Do get your facts right before you post them.
There was never security commision approval of Rafale for export to Pakistan. Companies are not like China Inc where whatever they say is law. They must approach the government for approval. None was given for Pakistan, the fear of China connections and unstability of the country prevents first tier weapon exports at this time.

The Rock

hello !!!!!!!

anybody know which engine and avionics are to be used in J-10b?????????

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
All the talk of supposedly imminent sale of J10 to Pakistan is overblown by the media. In fact there probably has been no official negotiation over J-10 sale. People particularly the russo/india media, made big fuss over the supposed Mig29's triumph over JF-17/J10 in Burma, but the truth is more likely, just like the supposed sale of J10 to Pakistan, China was not involved at all.

Here are some more observations:

1. J-10 in its current state is not ready for sale. As long as J10 uses russia-supplied engine, a foreign sale is impossible. And with WS10 currently seen only on J11B, a WS10 powered J10 also doesn't look likely in the near future.

2. J-10 is, like Type99 tank, or 054 frigate, mainly for the domestic market. Currently 1 regiment of J10, around 28 aircraft, is formed each year with the PLAAF, don't think Chengdu can produce more than that.

3. J-10 is, even in the up-coming B-version, doesn't offer anything F16Block52/60 can not offer. And nor is it terribly cheap, so why should Pakistan go after an unknown aircraft while a better/cheap(read US-subsides) alternative is already in the fold.

4. J-10 was certainly never offered to Burma. It's also questionable if FC-1/JF-17 was offered either with the latter's operational status still being a question mark. Mig29, on the other hand, despite being outgunned more than often going against western aircrafts, is a known commodity, and suits Burma's needs perfectly. Also the aircrafts could be refurbished ones and thus ready for immediate delivery.

5. A country like Burma, when it chooses to buy fighter jets, performance is never the most important criterium. Economy and politics are far more important. Seeking to diversify its weapon source, buying some cheap but still fairly sophisticated (by south asian standard) jets from a powerful country is only logical. If you think Burma went through a rigorous bidding/evaluation process like India is with the MCRA purchase, then you are totally wrong.

6. Finally I don't think J10 will ever see service beyond the chinese border. China is not desperate for cash, and by limiting J10's service to the PLAAF, potential adversaries will have a harder time to assess J10's true capabilities.

Last edited:

p2prada

I only have to disagree with point #6 in your post Tony. The J-10 is available to Pakistan. If Pakistan is happy with it or finds it unaffordable is the right question.

Welcome

Country flag
Other options are there for example F-16s ,Typphoon,rafayle or F-18 as all of them are offered to us.
And we are looking for J10B or FC-20 not J-10 as if we needed the J10s we would have gotten then in 2005..
There are also plans suggesting PAF may buy around 150 FC-20s with TOT as it was stated by Pak defence minister on the inaugration of JF-17s production facility.
j-10b is also just similar to f-16....however pak prefer to buy it bcoz it's much cheaper than f-16. and i don't think so pak can buy eurofighter typhoon or rafael bcoz both cost is $91 mn and $60 mn. however i listen that f-16 production will closed by 2015 so usa will not able to supply it any more so the best option for pak is j-10b..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles