Pak to hire American security guards for Zardari''s security

JayATL

Kafirs to save Pak democracy!

OMG US Christians boys to the rescue? :p how pitiful...

http://www.thenews.com.pk/TodaysPrintDetail.aspx?ID=25667&Cat=2&dt=1/14/2011
Zardari to seek Karzai-like US security

Asif Zardari is mulling over asking his US interlocutors to provide him American security that was put in place for the Afghan president in his early days. Reports suggested that he would be urging the US authorities during his ongoing unofficial trip to the United States regarding his desire. However no denial or clarification was issued since the publication of the report by the presidency.

This was revealed by Afghan ambassador to Pakistan Majnoon Ghulab while talking to The News here against the backdrop of reports that Asif Zardari is mulling over asking his US interlocutors to provide him American security that was put in place for the Afghan president in his early days. Reports suggested that he would be urging the US authorities during his ongoing unofficial trip to the United States regarding his desire. However no denial or clarification was issued since the publication of the report by the presidency.

It is understood that Asif Zardari has developed some fear from unidentifiable direction about himself while staying in the federal capital or places of high altitude and mountain terrain. Incidentally he has gone to Washington that is again a place with high altitude and situated on a mountain. For the reason he has opted to travel to New York and from there he plans to proceed to Washington by road. He would not be having overnight stay in Washington and could return to New York for the journey back home.

The diplomatic sources told The News that Asif Zardari or the presidency has not made any formal request for the provision of special security from the United States but the request could be made from the diplomatic mission in Washington.

pmaitra

This is not surprising. After the assassination of Salman Taseer by his own bodyguard with tacit support of other bodyguards, who would trust a Pakistani security-person? Zardari knows better. Looks like killing each other has become the national pastime of Pakistan. It's sad, it's no longer cricket.

JayATL

it's one thing to re evaluate your security team, have a fresh group , do more intensive background checks - it's another to mull over asking Americans to protect you. Indira Gandhi was killed by Sikh , but it do not mean Sikhs were not to be trusted going forward.

Here is how it works at lest in the US secret service. besides the obvious background checks etc- agents are taught to be patriotic by always looking at protecting the position vs specific person. i.e. they are protecting the Unites sates Presidency and not just the individual president per say. So regardless of whom is president, they look to protect that person because of the mantle of presidency he/she holds. It's like looking at it as preserving the pride of the country!

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Islamabad, Jan 19 (PTI) In the wake of Punjab GovernorSalmaan Taseer''s assassination by his police guard, thePakistan government is considering a proposal to bring inspecial security guards from the US for President Asif AliZardari, according to a media report today.

While Zardari''s security has always been cause of"serious concern" for authorities, the government is alsomulling a proposal to hire foreign security guards for severalVVIPs, including the Prime Minister, provincial Governors andChief Ministers and a few federal ministers, The ExpressTribune newspaper quoted highly-placed sources as saying.

The proposal for the President''s security envisagesdeploying US guards in Zardari''s "inner-most security cordon",the report said.

The proposals are part of the government''s decision toreview security arrangements of key personalities followingthe January 4 assassination of Taseer, which validated "fearsthat religious extremism had penetrated the ranks of securityforces in Pakistan", the report said.

"An overhaul in the present security system has beenrecommended as an essential requirement by the authoritiesresponsible for the safety and well-being of the VVIPs," asource was quoted as saying by the daily.

An army unit, the 111 Brigade that has been used forseveral military coups, is currently deployed at thePresidency for the security of Zardari, while police guardsare posted around the boundary walls of the palatial buildingin the heart of Islamabad.

However, Zardari has engaged "many private guards fromSindh" for his personal security, "reflecting a distrust ofgovernment-provided security arrangements", the report said.

On several occasions, Zardari "has been quoted to havesaid in the presence of US diplomats and officials that hislife was in danger", the report said.

A secret US diplomatic cable released by WikiLeakssaid Zardari had instructed his son Bilawal, the chief of theruling Pakistan People''s Party, to name his sister FaryalTalpur as the President in case he is killed.

The fear about the presence of extremist ideology inthe security forces is not new.

It surfaced a few years ago when personnel of the airforce and army were involved in two unsuccessful attempts onthe life of then President Pervez Musharraf.

A young Major who had joined the Taliban in the pastyear after resigning from the Pakistan Army was interrogatedby security agencies for his alleged links with FaisalShahzad, the man who plotted last year''s unsuccessful TimesSquare bombing, the report said. .

In a related development, the police department of Islamabad has collected detailed data of its personnel afterTaseer''s assassination.

This data includes the religious leanings of personneland their family background, including affiliations withreligious organisations.

Authorities plan to purge the department of "suspectelements".

The report said "a few police personnel have alreadybeen removed from the security set-up".

Collection of similar data is being recommended forpolice departments of the four provinces.

Taseer was gunned down by Mumtaz Qadri, a police guardwho said he was angered by the politician''s criticism ofPakistan''s controversial blasphemy law.

Investigators have established that Qadri was assignedto protect VVIPs, including the Prime Minister and foreigndignitaries, despite being declared a "security risk" in 2004for his extremist leanings.

Investigators are yet to determine whether Qadri actedon his own or was part of a wider conspiracy.

http://news.oneindia.in/2011/01/19/...rity-guards-for-zardarissecurity-aid0126.html

Parthy

Air Warrior
Not feeling secure in their own country!! That itself says the condition of the Paki...

If the President himself not feeling secure, then think about other valuable assets, weapons and nuclear sites... Nobody can Save Pakistan..

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Who is going to foot the bill? The state? I am sure zardari will take 10% in his own security payments. Lol,

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
what's the big deal, pakistan is as such run as per the commands and on aid money of america, with the pakistanis, be they whoever, running to the american ambassador for all that they wish to see happen in pakistan and in their self interest, an ambassador who is no less than considered as the viceroy of pakistan. so what if a few americans secure zardari and form the inner most security cordon, waiting to see the day when kayani gets that american security cordon.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Rather unfortunate that the country cannot trust its own!

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
One curious question: Why not Chinese security guards?? :brushteeth:

DeletedUser

I heard that they were discriminating against guards with beards first and now this. Pakistan seems to be getting worse.

Welcome

Country flag
it happens with most of the failed states where no one can control the country. we know who is actually running the country.
1: Taliban
2: COAS kayani
3: ISI chief pasha
4: Mullahs
5: Even Anti political parties

But not Zardari.........

sob

Mod
Country flag
Friends correct me if I am wrong, post Mrs. Gandhi's assassination no Indian PM has had a Sikh Bodyguard.

I would be delighted if my observation proves to be wrong.

Last edited:

JayATL

Friends correct me if I am wrong, post Mrs. Gandhi's assassination no Indian PM has had a Sikh Bodyguard.

probably, but that did not mean no Indian was a bodyguard and we had Russians protecting the PM(s)

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag

I don't think that's true, because I have seen Sikh bodyguards for several dignitaries and VIPs in India. Also, the largest numbers in the Indian armed forces are Sikhs. That era of terrorism in Punjab is long past and people don't even remember it anymore. There is certainly no "policy" to that effect. And remember that our PM is a Sikh, and it would be extremely weird to suggest that there is still an active policy to prevent Sikhs from being bodyguards! Sounds implausible.

JayATL

I think that was true in the immediate aftermath but no longer.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Unfortunately as far as I know in the inner ring of the PM/SG/RG there are no Sikhs. I have also been watching this very carefully on TV and unfortunately this is the reality till date.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Uncle SAM is not so foolish to send his men to protect terrorists of pakistan..........

If he does so then he will weep very badly for the sin he committed............

Oracle

Crusaders protecting Pakistanis. How's that sound for Pakistan's religious fanatics.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles