Pak Army seeking to topple govt: reports

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Islamabad: The floods in Pakistan may have increased the chances of the army taking over from what is seen as an inept civilian government, claim Pakistani media.

Reports coming out of Pakistan hint that the army and its allies are pushing for the formation of a national government without the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party headed by President Asif Ali Zardari.

The reports speculate that the only person to emerge with any credit from the floods that have devastated the country is Pakistan Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Kayani. Media reports suggest that Gen Kayani could move in to topple the incumbent government after the floods when the government is faced with the challenge of rebuilding the country.

However, the Pakistan government has quashed the threat.

"Pakistani Army is doing constitutional duty under orders of the PM. It's a disciplined force," Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi told CNN-IBN.

He also denied reports that the government has ceded relief operations in some areas to terror groups like the Lashkar-e-Taiba and the Jamaat-e-Islami and called them as "exaggeration and propaganda by savvy militants."

Source

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Let me quickly add my CT in this. Did the army create the flood to get an excuse to take over the country "again". It was not finding one so far, so it created one.

AJTR the other had come up with some theory on what could have happened to create this.

This report makes be put 2x2.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Let me quickly add my CT in this. Did the army create the flood to get an excuse to take over the country "again". It was not finding one so far, so it created one.

AJTR the other had come up with some theory on what could have happened to create this.

Its alarming. What even scares is the 5+ Billion USD aid thrown at Pak for relief operations. I am not sure where will the money go & Pak is demanding even more money than this every single day. Will Kayani start new dark chapter?

pankaj nema

Country flag
I have a different take on the issue.Pakistan army would not like a "crown of thorns"

Right now the security situation and economic situation is pretty bad.And there are no easy solutions in sight.

Any new government would be hard pressed for resources because of the flood relief and reconstruction work and the already tight fiscal position .This would severely limit a new governments ability to deliver.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I have a different take on the issue.Pakistan army would not like a "crown of thorns"

Right now the security situation and economic situation is pretty bad.And there are no easy solutions in sight.

Any new government would be hard pressed for resources because of the flood relief and reconstruction work and the already tight fiscal position .This would severely limit a new governments ability to deliver.
Kayani gang can follow the Democratic face to make things acceptable at home & abroad. For the underlined part, I don't think they are any committed to get the relief work done honestly.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

It wont be easy for Kiyani to move in.He is more comfortable to do the backseat driving.That way all the he will keep army from any blame of misgovernment.Anyway reports are coming in from pakistani papers that Baluchistan was flooded to save shabaz airbase.And Khyber-Pukhtoonwa government has asked the donor countries to bypass the islamabad and rawalpindi and give aid directly to the affected provinces.As i predicted earlier Balochistan and KP govt are blaming PA and federal govt in islamabad for these floods.Sistiuation is repeating same as that of 1970 after bhola cyclone in bangladesh.And this is not CT.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
quite possible.

ppp has proved to be utter useless and has lost public support. get a national government, which means all political parties clubbed in, other than the ppp. let the chaos continue and when that national government also proves its incompetence in another two years time, which it will anyways irrespective of what they do because the ever powerful pak army will never let them settle down, and when the confidence amongst the mass for democracy is at an all time low pull another coup, by when mass would have come to terms with no better solution than the pak army to run the affairs of pakistan.

let us not forget the present GoP is a coalition of ppp, mqm, and anp and if any one of them were to pull out the support the government falls. the whole drama will be staged with in the confines of the constitution of pakistan so there wont be any international condemnation nor will there be any angle that can be expedited by the SC of pakistan. mqm is as such complete sell out to the pak army.

no democratically elected government has ever completed full 5 years term in pakistan nor will it happen this time. but there is just one hindrance and that is pml (nawaz), they would want fresh elections to gain the max out of the emerging situation but the army would want a national government with the present setup, let us see how this situation evolves.

Last edited:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
I don't think there will ever be another military dictator of Pakistan...ever.

Pakistan Army/ISI seems to have learned a lesson from Musharraf's rule, especially towards the end of it, and seen how it's less profitable (in terms of foreign policy, ease in getting aid or foreign loans) to have run the country overtly.

Now on Pakistan will, on the surface, have a "democratically elected" government, and the Army runs the country with that government to build a facade. The people in the Army get their due.

neo29

^^^
Irrespective of a democratic govt or military dictator, Pak army has been and always will be controlling Pakistan.

It is almost impossible to change it. Over the years the ideology has passed down to from Senior officers to Junior officers that Pak Army is one who controls the country. The ISI its ally who has always helped in creating havoc in pakistan to make the democratic govt fear and ask help or bow down to Pak Army.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Yusuf this is what i was saying wrt to floods. voice are started coming out from sindh an balochistan.......There is some truth to my CT.

Pressure mounts for inquiry into embankment breaks

KARACHI: A growing number of politicians from opposition and ruling parties are putting their weight behind the demand for an independent inquiry into the unannounced and mysterious breaches in the Indus river embankments in upper Sindh that led to the inundation of large areas of Balochistan.

Local people and politicians have expressed frustration at the "secretive handling" of the case and the flat refusal by many government officials, both in Sindh and in the federal capital, to say on whose orders the river water was diverted.

The question still being asked is: who took the decision to breach the Jamali bypass?

"I don't know. It's a top-level decision. The word breach does not exist in our dictionary," says Sindh Irrigation Minister Jam Saifullah Dharejo.

However, former prime minister Mir Zafarullah Khan Jamali refuses to believe that the breach in embankments which destroyed his hometown and adjoining towns and villages was caused by water pressure or was unintentional. A furious Mr Jamali insists there could be a few specific reasons behind this decision.

"I believe there was American pressure on the authorities to safeguard the Shahbaz airbase," he told Dawn. "Furthermore, it is well known and established that the Jakhranis have a stake in this airbase and the contractors were linked to them," he said, adding that federal Minister Aijaz Jakhrani also had his land to protect.

"I was in Karachi when I was informed that Aijaz Jakhrani along with the local administration and Sindh police were trying to breach the Jamali bypass. I immediately tried to speak to the Sindh and Balochistan administrations, but to no avail," he said. "Then in the middle of the night, I telephoned Corps Commander Quetta who was kind enough to respond immediately," Mr Jamali said.

The former prime minister further said: "The civil authority at present is indecisive with no desire to save the country. All decisions to breach bunds are unfortunately being taken by merely looking at factors such as whose land to save."

This assertion is supported not only by the opposition members but even partners in the ruling coalition.

"These decisions are being heavily influenced by feudal lords of the areas concerned. It's not about saving people, the decisions are based on saving the land of these influential. We strongly condemn this," says Haider Abbas Rizvi, MQM's deputy parliamentary leader.

Several attempts were made to contact Aijaz Jakhrani to get his side of the story, but he refused to take calls. But some parliamentarians, when contacted for their views, pointed fingers at the military establishment, accusing them of influencing the decisions to breach bunds.

"The media is pointing fingers at Syed Khurshid Shah over the Ali Wahan controversy but the fact is it was GOC Pano Aqil who has been interfering in the case," claimed one PPP official.

However, the military rejects the charge.

"All these decisions are for the competent civilian authority to take based on their technical and political considerations. Once they have done that, the army engineers are there merely to execute the job," says Major-General Athar Abbas, the chief military spokesman.

While many appear perplexed, still trying to figure out how decisions are taken to breach bunds, the irrigation department tries to offer some assistance.

"Contrary to what some believe, there is actually a proper procedure to decide if a bund should be breached or not. We look at factors such as population density of the concerned areas, the direction of natural flow, elevations, water stopping points and so on," said a senior official from the Sindh Irrigation department.

But not everyone buys this claim.

"I have been closely following the floods since the 30th July. I am convinced that the government does not have any standard operating procedures in this regard," asserted PML-Q MNA Marvi Memon.

The flood water's journey towards Balochistan started with a breach at the Tori bund, which lies close to the Ghauspur town of Kashmore district. This breach triggered huge controversy as many argued that the breach was deliberately caused in an attempt to avoid a breach at Ali Wahan bund. Some critics and local people have alleged that despite being a logical and tested choice, the Ali Wahan bund has been spared to protect the interests of a federal minister. The breach at Tori bund flooded Guddu canal, Ghauspur, Karampur and entered the Shikarpur district. As the water headed towards Khanpur and Sultankot, the Begari Sindh feeder which is an offshoot of the Guddu canal was breached to save Shikarpur city. The water then made its way into Jacobabad district, causing mass destruction and evacuations. This is where Nur Wah, an offshoot of Begari canal and the Jamali bypass were breached to save Jacobabad city but leading the water into Balochistan. After initially moving north into Sohbatpur, Dera Allahyar and Dera Murad Jamali, the flood water made its way down south towards Usta Mohammad, Garhi Khairo and Qubboo Saeed Khan.

While the government denies any malafide intention, Baloch nationalists have a different perspective.

"The Balochs are a poor and deprived people. The government felt that these people would not be able to do anything anyway, so they decided to destroy our only greenbelt," Fahad Bugti, the nephew of the late Nawab Akbar Khan Bugti, told Dawn.

They too are demanding an independent inquiry to establish who issued the order to breach the embankments at different places, and to save whose land and property at the cost of houses and livestock of the poor Baloch people.

The irony, as pointed out by many people in the area, is that after causing mayhem in various districts of Sindh and Balochistan, the flood water is once again on course to re-enter Sindh to cause further death and destruction in Shahdadkot and adjoining areas.
If you want to follow news on your mobile, click on http://dawn.com/mobile/ and download Pakistan's first mobile news application.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Question remains if these malicious acts are going to create an increasing demand of independence from the Balochis at least. I think the International community will take a re-look at the way they distribute aid if at all. They might give direct aid to the Balochis and not through pak govt.

India can just stir the hornets nest by making an offer of aid directly to Balochis and of an amount greater than the one given to pak. I know they would refuse but then it would create a stir. Pak will cry and say india is creating trouble in balochistan but india can counter saying they just want to help the effected people directly.

Iamanidiot

yusuf one of the clauses in K_L bill is not do a coup.Right now they are the driver without being in the drivers seat.While they have power Zardari is the one who owns responsibility and he is also the one who recieves the flak.Right now they are no where near doing a coup it does give the PA any incentive

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Thanks for that info JP. But PA is not always rational when it comes to coups. They know about the centrality in the WoT and they know they can blackmail the US. What's more, the US is more than comfortable in dealing with dictators in pak.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
99% unlikley that PA will topple the government and do a coup. Right now the situation is so worse in Pakistan that any other party or PA would like to be in power and become unpopular. I think they will let this government until things stabilize and then perhaps do a coup.

Iamanidiot

Yusuf, Kiyani is PA right now he will not try for a coup as long the US doesn't withdraw from Afghanistan

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yusuf, Kiyani is PA right now he will not try for a coup as long the US doesn't withdraw from Afghanistan
On the contrary, if their is a coup now, Kiyani will be able to quickly consolidate his position as the US needs him. After the US leaves and they will not get any patronage from the US and it will be back to pressler kinda days.

Iamanidiot

Yusuf Kiyani right now has power no responsibility ,Why does he want responsibility all of a sudden.Yusuf..He saw Musharraf from close quarters ... and he knows the pros and cons of owning responsibility right now.Right now zardari is the coat hanger of all pakistani woes.Why would kiyani want to be that

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I knew it when Kayani asked for an extension in his posting! He was due to retire this month, when the army chief can extend his stay without the President or PMs support then you can know who is incharge. Most of Pakistans history is army rule and looks like they will never learn and they have extremely short memories to keep repeating the same mistakes.

Country flag
All coup de tat' that have taken place in Pakistan have been thru US backing, if US sees no need at this time nothing is going to happen.

Agantrope

I knew it when Kayani asked for an extension in his posting! He was due to retire this month, when the army chief can extend his stay without the President or PMs support then you can know who is incharge. Most of Pakistans history is army rule and looks like they will never learn and they have extremely short memories to keep repeating the same mistakes.
Coupe is expected scene in pakistan, but when it is now, they lose the incoming flood relief funds, as per insight they will weight till all the relief funds are obtained and then the topple will happen and emergency declared with a reason "CIVIL UNREST AND EPIDEMIC OUTBREAK"

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles