Painkiller taken for arthritis is heart risk

arya

Country flag

Millions of arthritis sufferers could be increasing their risk of a heart attack or stroke by more than one third by taking large doses of common drugs such as ibuprofen, according to one of the largest studies into painkiller

The research on more than 350,000 patients taking prescription doses of such medications found the chance of a heart attack or stroke rose by almost 40 per cent.
The study found the increased risk of cardiac side-effects from ibuprofen was similar to those of another arthritis drug, Vioxx, which was withdrawn from the market almost a decade ago when research had suggested it might double the risk of heart attacks.
The drugs,which are known as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and taken by millions of arthritis sufferers each day, were also found to double the risk of heart failure and serious complications such as bleeding ulcers, when they were taken in high quantities.
Researchers behind the University of Oxford study said their findings showed prolongued use of such medicines was "risky" - but said patients needed to weigh up the benefits of drugs which allowed them to function against the potential dangers.
More than seven million people in the UK suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, and many rely on high doses of NSAIDs, which are also sold in lower quantities over the counter for common ailment

The research, published in The Lancet, found that for every 1,000 people with a moderate risk of heart disease, around eight would normally have a heart attack or stroke each year.
When similar patients were given one year of treatment with a high dose of ibuprofen (2400mg daily) or diclofenac (150mg daily) that risk rose, with 11 patients suffering the major cardiac events.
One in three of the extra heart attacks were fatal, the study found.
The same dosage - which is the maximum normally prescribed, and twice the amount which is allowed over the counter - doubled the risk of heart failure, from 3 to 7 cases in 1,000, and more than doubled the risks of complications such as bleeding ulcers, the study found.
If all seven million people arthritis in the UK took the highest dosage of drugs, it would equate to an estimated 21,000 more heart attacks in sufferers.
Researchers said the study, funded by the Medical Research Council (MRC) and the British Heart Foundation (BHF), and led by the MRC's unit at the University of Oxford had studied the risks from common painkillers in "unprecedented detail".
Lead author Professor Colin Baigent, from the University of Oxford, said: "The research shows that, when used in high doses, diclofenac and ibuprofen increase the risk of cardiovascular disease, on average causing about three extra heart attacks a year in every 1,000 patients treated - one of which would be fatal.
He said patients suffering from arthritis needed to weigh up the benefits gained from pain relief with the extra potential risk, which he described as "small, but significant".
Prof Baignent said: "For many people who take these drugs for severe arthritis they make the difference between being able to go about their daily life or not... We are trying to say yes, they are risky but it may be worth it."
The findings, from an analysis of 639 randomised trials, found that a third drug, called naproxen, did not increase the risk of heart attacks or strokes, when a high dose of 1000 mg a day was taken.
The study found it was the most likely of the medications to cause bleeding from the stomach, but researchers said such problems were normally less serious.
Researchers said the cardiac risks from ibuprofen and diclofenac were "mainly relevant" to people with arthritis who were prescribed high doses of the drugs for long periods .
"A short course of lower dose tablets purchased without a prescription, for example, for a muscle sprain, is not likely to be hazardous," said Prof Baignent.
Last year almost 17 million prescriptions were written by GPs in England for NSAIDs for conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, as well as for severe back pain and patients recovering from surgery.
Around one third were for ibuprofen, one third for diclofenac and around one sixth for naproxen.
The study found the increased risks of cardiac side-effects from ibuprofen and diclofenac were similar to those of another arthritis drug, Vioxx, which was withdrawn from the market almost a decade ago, when research had suggested it might double the risk of heart attacks.
Professor Alan Silman, medical director of Arthritis Research UK, urged arthritis sufferers not to be "unduly concerned" about the findings, but said GPs were increasingly turning to naproxen because of the potential cardiac risks of the other medications.
He said: "There is an urgent need to find alternatives that are as effective, but safer. GPs are aware of the risks of NSAIDs, and there has been a marked reduction in the use of diclofenac and a switch to naproxen in recent years."
"For patients with arthritis, not smoking, a healthy diet and having their blood pressure checked regularly are more important factors in reducing the risk of a heart attack.
"We would advise people with arthritis who are taking NSAIDs not to be unduly concerned by these latest findings and to seek the advice of their GP."
Dr Shannon Amoils, Research Advisor at the BHF, said: "We would reiterate the advice that people should take the lowest effective dose of these drugs for the shortest time necessary to control symptoms. Although people who take painkillers infrequently needn't be overly concerned, those who need regularly prescribed painkillers should speak to their doctor about which drug is the most suitable choice for them."

link :: Painkiller taken for arthritis is heart risk - Telegraph

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The research on more than 350,000 patients taking prescription doses of such medications found the chance of a heart attack or stroke rose by almost 40 per cent.
The research does not describe any mechanism for the effect?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I hardly take any medicines. I only take if i dont recover within 3-4 days of being ill. Normally i recover within that period without any medicines.

arya

Country flag
I hardly take any medicines. I only take if i dont recover within 3-4 days of being ill. Normally i recover within that period with any medicines.
that' s right way , but i know many peoples for them painkiller is daily diet . they cant tolerant small pain or don' t give time to body for self react.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles