Osama Bin Laden was killed in Abbottabad, Pakistan

What do you think was Pakistan's role in Osama Bin Laden killing?

• 1. US operation, ISI, Pak Army or Government did not know squat

Votes: 100 62.5%
  • 2. US operation, Pak agencies were in the know, but did not play any role

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 3. US led operation with cooperation with active support from Pak

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 4. US led operation reluctantly supported by Pak

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • 5. US operation, Pak agencies knew and were told to lay off or face consequences

Votes: 33 20.6%
  • 6. US operation, Pak agencies knew and tried to put a spanner losing men, machines and face in the p

Votes: 5 3.1%

• Total voters

ejazr

Ambassador
OBL was the goose that laid the golder eggs in a way for Pakistani army.

Let me requote what I blogged a year back based on Tariq Ali's book on Pakistan: The Duel
(7) The most interesting was an chat with a close friend and a senior military intelligence officer in Pakistan. He states obliquely to him that Osama bin Laden is alive. Only a few important officers in Pakistan as well as a few US officials know where he is. Why would we (as in those in the security business Pakistanis or Americans) kill the goose that lays the golden eggs he says.
I wouldn't be surprised if PA felt that given the precarious situation and confrontation that President Obama and Pakistani Army were hurtling towards each other, they had to come out with a winner for Obama. Something that would really define his presidency and guarantee re-election. The Quid pro quo I am afraid might be Pakistan being given a free hand in Afghanistan.

OBL was much much more important alive than dead but then dead men can't tell secrets which was imperative for this to happen.

Abbotabad is literally a military cantonment so to think that the agencies had no idea that OBL was living right there is ridiculous.

Oracle

So # 1 is done. What about #2, i.e. the source of all terrorism? Pakistan.
And btw, OBL dead does not solve anything!

Last edited:

ejazr

Ambassador
New Delhi: President Obama announced late Sunday that Osama bin Laden, the leader of Al Qaeda responsible for the Sept. 11 attacks, was killed in a firefight during an operation he ordered Sunday inside Pakistan, ending a 10-year manhunt for the world's most wanted terrorist. American officials were in possession of his body, he said.

Here is the statement issued by Chidambaram on the incident:

Earlier today the United States Government informed the Government of India that Osama Bin Laden had been killed by security forces somewhere "deep inside Pakistan." After the September 11, 2001 terror attack, the US had reason to seek Osama Bin Laden and bring him and his accomplices to justice.

We take note with grave concern that part of the statement in which President Obama said that the fire fight in which Osama Bin Laden was killed took place in Abbotabad "deep inside Pakistan". This fact underlines our concern that terrorists belonging to different organisations find sanctuary in Pakistan. We believe that the perpetrators of the Mumbai terror attack, including the controllers and handlers of the terrorists who actually carried out the attack, continue to be sheltered in Pakistan. We once again call upon the Government of Pakistan to arrest the persons whose names have been handed over to the Interior Minister of Pakistan as well as provide voice samples of certain persons who are suspected to be among the controllers and handlers of the terrorists.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Pakistan army has been totally radicalised

There is no way that Osama has been SACRIFICED by Pakistan for a quid pro quo

As far as Afghanistan is concerned PA ISI were confident that after 2015 when US withdraws Pakistan will again rule Afghanistan through the taliban

AirforcePilot

Professional
Just got the good news. Celebrated with a glass of Absynthe!
Tonight is a good night to party! There are celebrations all across the US to celebrate OBL death. I have a few friends coming over and we will break out a few bottles of Jack Daniels.

mayfair

If indeed the operation was launched from Afghanistan, I am surprised and no less amazed that the US helos were able to traverse over several 100 km of rugged terrain into Pakistan and back, apparently undetected. It would be easier to fly over from India and be back before the Purelanders got wiser.

P.S. : A request to moderators, can we edit the title to say that Osama Bin Laden was killed in Abbottabad, Pakistan? Reads much better

Last edited:

Oracle

Jammu: Blast 'to avenge Osama' kills 1

One person was killed and three others were injured in a powerful blast inside a car in Udhampur town of Jammu region on Monday morning.

A senior police officer said the car had been parked near a roadside tea-stall on the strategic Jammu Srinagar national highway.

"A milk vendor was killed on the spot while three others, who were having tea at the stall, were injured in the blast. Senior police officers are already at the spot, collecting details," the officer said.

Some media reports indicated that militants triggered the blast in retaliation to the killing of Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden in Pakistan.

Security officials have now surrounded the area to conduct searches.

Rediff

pmaitra

Tonight is a good night to party! There are celebrations all across the US to celebrate OBL death. I have a few friends coming over and we will break out a few bottles of Jack Daniels.
Yeah, it was a great night. Just came back from the local bar. Unfortunately, it is Sunday night and most people won't drink too much as they have to go to work tomorrow. Still, I went and celebrated. :)

Its fun time here in NC, hope you have a great time in FL as well!

BTW, Jack Daniels is what Ke$ha uses to brush her teeth. Are you guys going to do the same thing? LOL - just kidding. :)

Cheers!

Oracle

If indeed the operation was launched from Afghanistan, I am surprised and no less amazed that the US helos were able to traverse over several 100 km of rugged terrain into Pakistan and back, apparently undetected. It would be easier to fly over from India and be back before the Purelanders got wiser.

P.S. : A request to moderators, can we edit the title to say that Osama Bin Laden was killed in Abbottabad, Pakistan? Reads much better
So that it's catchy :)

Vikramaditya

Country flag
Enjoys this moments USA, you have waited for this for long time.

pmaitra

Excellent idea. I fully support it. After all, the truth must be told, and the truth is Osama Bin Laden was hiding in Pakistan.

Respects to the US soldiers who risked so much and carried out this operations. Well done guys!

pmaitra

Enjoys this moments USA, you have waited for this for long time.
Why only USA? Osama had declared war not only USA, but had fought against our old friend and ally, the USSR, and had declared war on Russia, Israel and India as well, and practically all the 'infidels' of the world.

We all should celebrate!

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
It is done.

One more angel, isn't a US SSN was docked in Goa some time before (hardly one week). Is India involved in operation? At least with logistics

pmaitra

It is done.

One more angel, isn't a US SSN was docked in Goa some time before (hardly one week). Is India involved in operation? At least with logistics
India had long back offered Indian Air Force bases to the US fighter planes when the US decided to launch operation in Afghanistan. So I think your assumption could be that India was geared up for any contingency plan in case anything went wrong? Just speculating.

Last edited:

Vikramaditya

Country flag
MSNBC airing that pakistan has no idea about this operation until it has started.

ejazr

Ambassador
There are two ways this can affect Pakistan

(1) As Obama noted in his speech, Pakistan gets a little slack for having "co-operated" in the "joint" operation to kill Osama. Result is an uptick in relations with the US.

(2) Pressure and criticism from the US that OBL was living right under the nose of Rawalpindi for the last 10 years while Musharraf and others kept saying that he is not in Pakistan or even Afghanistan for that matter.

Either way, expect a backlash by the militant Jihadis in Pakistan against the security establishment for having colluded with the Americans.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles