Open to Work With India on Missile Shield: USA

SpArK

SORCERER
Open to Work With India on Missile Shield: USA

Weeks after offering to sell its F-35 fifth generation fighter jets, the US today said it was open to work with India on joint development of a ballistic missile shield.

The offer was made by Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defence Robert Scher who said that the Indo-US defence ties were valuable and critical not only for the security and stability of the region, but globally.

"We are really open to it. And this is something we ask to and ask them if they are interested in it," Scher said on collaboration on the missile shield project in an interview to PTI, emphasising that US "is and will be a dependable weapons supplier to India."

The top Pentagon official disclosed that Washington and New Delhi had been involved in crucial discussion on the ballistic missile shield, adding that the US was looking forward to "restart" the dialogue.

Reiterating that US was ready for India to join in the multi-nation collaboration on F-35 fighters, Scher said that Washington was still awaiting India's response.

Referring to President Barack Obama's latest defence strategy in which the US commits itself to a long-term defence relationship with India, the Pentagon official said the US would certainly welcome discussion with New Delhi on F-35 and anti-missile system.

He cited the sale of C-130J transport aircraft to India ahead of the schedule as an example of readiness of the US armament industry to respond to India's need.

Scher said the US has received request for additional six C-130J Super Hercules transport aircraft.

"I will say that C-130J programme is a great example of valuable contribution of both of our countries. It is proof, I think that the US is and will continue to be a dependable defence supplier and it is also good example programme that we delivered on time and on budget," he said.

Given that the defence relationship between the two countries is relatively new, is not considered to be even a decade-old in many sense, the Pentagon official referred to defence ties with India as a "learning curve".

He said Washington wanted to focus on developing cooperative research and development in weapons technology with India so that both the countries could benefit.

"Closer cooperation on technology and research pieces within the military and that is where we are looking to expand upon," Scher said.

The Pentagon official said there was commitment on the US side as well as India to break-down bureaucratic hurdles in defence cooperation as the two countries understood "how important the relationship is and how more important the relationship is going to be in the future."

Responding to questions on the progress made by India and US on military pacts such as Communications Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement and Mutual Logistic Support Agreement, Scher said this issue has not been discussed.

"I will be honest with you. It has not come up in discussions that I had recently and numerous interactions. It is certainly something that we did talk about a lot," he said.
FILED ON: JAN 18, 2012

news.outlookindia.com | Open to Work With India on Missile Shield: USA

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
We should stay clear.

Frankly i dont trust them....this is sensative matter. It should be totally indigenous.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
We should stay clear.

Frankly i dont trust them....this is sensative matter. It should be totally indigenous.
Agreed. And its not about USA, missile shield should be a purely indegenous effort.

Last edited:

Nirvana

We should stay clear.

Yeah agree !! infact our ABM System is Doing well with First phase ready to be deployed in NCR while New Missile's for Phase 2 can be tested anytime soon !!

It will be good of United states if they just stop vetoing Israel for trying to sell Critical radar systems and Anti-ballistic Missiles like Arrow -II to us like they did in past - this leads to Trust deficit

trackwhack

What if the missile shield is to be deployed against the US someday? What happens to operability? Of course we should stay clear because any BMD system based on US technologies means dependability on US communications systems. It basically compromises our position in case of any strtegic or military conflict with US in the future. And there will be clashing interests for sure.

BMD must be an indigenous system. We will continue to buy planes from them, thats different.

p2prada

F-35s for the Navy, excellent.

ABM, depends on what they are offering. If it is related to something that we are not developing or are in the process of developing, like laser based systems, then I don't mind. If it is related to something we are already developing, then no thank you.

It does not hurt to look at what they are doing considering they have the most advanced systems.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Last month MoD clarified that India has not received any proposal for Missile Shield or F35. Still every 4th week there are some media reports.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles