Only 960 years left for Bhutto's war

ejazr

Ambassador
http://mjakbarblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/only-960-years-left-for-bhuttos-war.html

The Bhuttos, and Bhutto-led governments, seem lost in a rut that has become brittle and boring through over-use. Their only measure of Pakistani patriotism is the level of hysteria that they can simulate against India. A psychiatrist would be tempted to trace this habit to the fate of Sir Shahnawaz Bhutto, Prime Minister of Junagadh before partition, whose plan to merge his state into Pakistan went badly awry. Bhutto went, of course, minus his state, closely followed by the Nawab of Junagadh who left his family behind but escaped with his dogs. Such speculation, however, is not quite within the realm of a newspaper column.

It is unarguable, though, that the Bhuttos, having proved pathetically impotent whenever they waged war against India, have tried to reassure themselves with the flatulent hype of a war of words. Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto was the theorist as well as leader of the 1965 war for Kashmir, a claim that he would doubtless have stressed with far greater glee if Pakistan had succeeded. Operation Gibraltar and Operation Grand Slam failed miserably, an assertion proved by the simple fact that not an inch of territory changed hands along the Cease Fire Line in Jammu and Kashmir.

In 1971, Bhutto tried to camouflage humiliation in Dhaka by promising a thousand years of war against India. Well, we still have 960 years left. No hurry, then, for a peace treaty. Implicit in the 1000-year threat is the recognition that Pakistan cannot win on the battlefield, since if you win war ceases. Futility is, apparently, not sufficient reason for Pakistan to stop fighting.

Zulfiqar's daughter Benazir Bhutto came to Pakistan-occupied Kashmir in 1989, abused Narasimha Rao and promised Kashmir "azadi", her decibel levels rising to a shriek by the time she had finished the last "azadi" in her speech. Two decades have passed since then, Benazir has been assassinated in her own country, and not an inch of territory has changed hands in Kashmir. Her husband Asif Zardari's government will sooner or later leave office, either after a peaceful election, or a more violent ejection by the cantonment, and not an inch of territory will have changed despite his plastic smile or his Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi's immature incandescence. War, formal or clandestine, will achieve nothing.

It is possible that the Bhuttos and their servitors do not mean what they say, that this is their default position in the confrontation with their permanent foes in the armed forces. It is time, however, they learnt that terrorism has made the world too dangerous for bluster. The international consensus against this plague will not tolerate the tepid "root cause" argument, either, as justification.

Qureshi forgot that the world was listening when he said that terrorist-infiltrators in the Kashmir were India's problem. He would not last a minute in his job if he told America that Al Qaeda was Washington's problem and the Pentagon should deal with them once they had infiltrated into America. When the FBI wants a suspect, Pakistan picks up six in six hours. When India asks for Hafiz Saeed, Qureshi talks about India's home secretary G.K. Pillai — not in the quiet of a conference hall, but at a press conference.

It is no one's case that S.M. Krishna, a suave and seasoned politician, should stoop to Qureshi's levels of street rhetoric. Perhaps Krishna's courtesy prevented him from describing this as nonsense, but silence is not always the best answer to stupidity.

India is America's friend. Pakistan is America's ally. Islamabad has the transcript of David Headley's interrogation in which he exposed the fact that ISI gave at least Rs 25 lakh to fund the terrorist attack on Mumbai in November 2008. Any criminal enquiry will take the trail to the most powerful force in Pakistan. Qureshi had to try and deflect the terrorist issue. He did not have the intellectual sophistication and diplomatic skills for such a responsibility.

Pakistan does not have a foreign policy. It has relationships. Three, with America, China and Saudi Arabia, are as steady as an alliance between a benefactor and client. One, with India, is inimical; which is why Army controls India policy. America, Saudi Arabia and China factor in Pakistan, but do not hold India hostage to Islamabad's interests. However, Pakistan uses India as the bogey through which it can try to massage benefits from friends and sympathy from neutral countries or blocs. Confrontation suits it better than conciliation, domestically and internationally. Many Pakistanis are convinced about the wisdom of peace with India, but they are not strong enough to challenge the cantonment.

Dr Manmohan Singh's mandate to Krishna was to reduce the "trust deficit". One wonders how much trust is left after Qureshi has equated Pillai with a terrorist and dismissed Krishna as unprepared and incompetent. Delhi should not respond with hostility. But a little indifference could go a long way.

Iamanidiot

iam not able to understand what happened in the talks .What got querishis goat

Iamanidiot

Zulfiqar bhutto is known for his trash talk.Just prior to the 1971 war he is said to have called the bangla populace suar ki aulad.... in a public meeting in pakistan.That is something no leader will ever call his people such a thing.Another one of his classics is eating grass for making a bomb..thats superclassic.I have to admit they are dumb.

Pakistanis isn't bangladesh the best thing to ever come out of pakistan?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
A pretty well put up by the writer. Interesting that such articles are finding their way to Arab News who have just banned Lamhaa and Tere bin laden i think.

Iamanidiot

Indian posters do you think we will be having round two in kashmir with regard to pakistan.What will be our strategies and tactics and what should we do to drag pakistan into the cesspool further

Rebelkid

Soo much hate...such Reckless hate against Hindus and Indians...this is really sad..Most of them created by politicians and their false teachings of Hinduism they have given to their citizens.

Oracle

Indian posters do you think we will be having round two in kashmir with regard to pakistan.What will be our strategies and tactics and what should we do to drag pakistan into the cesspool further
I believe we will be having a final round on Kashmir in the near future. They want a solution, we will give them humiliation, as in the past.

ejazr

Ambassador
interesting, such an article finding space in arabnews.
They made up with giving some space to the PAkistani diplomat there. But looks like he was too emotional when he was writing it. MJ Akbar regularly contributes to ARab news.

http://arabnews.com/opinion/letters/article86335.ece
M.J. Akbar's anti-Pakistan rant

I am writing this to draw your attention to M.J. Akbar's article, "Only 960 years left for Bhutto's war" (July 18).

Let me say that I was profoundly disappointed over the manner in which the writer has hurled innuendoes against the leadership in Pakistan and their illustrious primogenitors. The choice of words and phrases against respectable leaders of Pakistan revered by millions of Pakistanis is certainly not expected of a journalist of M.J. Akbar's class. While expressing his otherwise well-known prejudice against Pakistan, the writer has scornfully ignored all the mannerism of respectable journalism that your esteemed daily is known for. No wonder Indian media and its pundits derive their lifeblood from the anti-Pakistan venom, for it sells at high profits among their folk.

You would agree that the longstanding issues that have bedeviled relations between Pakistan and India remain unresolved partly because of the Indian government's intransigence and partly due to its highly biased and violent media, which feed hatred. The article under reference is a case in point.

In the article, the writer has, out of his pathologically compulsive bias, reveled in commonplace and oft-repeated allegations against Pakistan's security agencies. In his writhing pangs of jingoism, he has overlooked the role the demonic Research and Analysis Wing (RAW), India's foreign intelligence agency, plays in neighboring countries. Having mastered in skills of destabilization and subversion, it has dexterously overthrown governments in the region, carried out murderous terror acts and fed violence. The role of the security agencies of Pakistan in their fight against terrorism, loss of thousands of precious lives of its soldiers and civilians and hindered economic progress worth billions of dollars remains elusive to an eye that is used to seeing darkness only. People in India's neighborhood live in a state of morbid fear owing to its hegemonic designs to realize the centuries-old dream of Maha Bharat (Greater India). Pakistan remains the most hapless victim of Indian RAW's terrorist designs, for it refuses to truckle to Indian browbeating and arm-twisting. I'm afraid they, including the writer, will have to wait a few thousand years more.

It is too convenient for Indian government and a large section of its journalists to point fingers toward Pakistan to the extent of ludicrousness for anything and everything wrong that happens to or in India. It would be too naive to dupe international community into believing that all that is happening in Indian-occupied Kashmir and more than 25 of its states clamoring for justice from the most ethnically biased government in New Delhi is of Pakistan's making.

The unrelenting persecution of Muslims living in India who are compelled to live lives worse than those of third-grade citizens has remained elusive to the Indian governments and the kind of intellectuals that we have referred to above. Who in India has forgotten the pogrom in Gujarat under the vigilant eyes of its Chief Minister Narendra Modi and destruction of the Babri Masjid at the hands of Hindu maniacs?

When Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi advised India to put its own house in order and search for the causes of terrorism in various Indian states, he was not entirely wrong. Would M.J. Akbar hold Pakistan responsible for the persecution of Dalits and their resultant wrath against supercilious Brahmins?

If Indian people and government are genuinely serious about peaceful coexistence with Pakistan and other small neighbors, they must extend a helping hand in fighting the common menaces like terrorism instead of trading in acrimonies. This has been an exercise in futility.

In the end let me state that the article has deeply hurt the Pakistan community, one of the largest in Saudi Arabia which is engaged in a constructive manner for the development and progress of both Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.

ejazr

Ambassador

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
They made up with giving some space to the PAkistani diplomat there. But looks like he was too emotional when he was writing it. MJ Akbar regularly contributes to ARab news.

http://arabnews.com/opinion/letters/article86335.ece
it sounded interesting to me because i am sure such an article with that tone would have never been entertained in earlier times on a daily like arab news of the ksa. point i have is that the editing team could very well have asked for a diluted version for the print and mj akbar would have no choice but to comply since he is a columnist with them which never happened, and this act on their part speaks volumes. not bad i may add, diplomatic wars being waged on numerous fronts and arabs are more than happy to listen to our point of view just the way it is being delivered, crisp and harsh. surely sounds of time changing!

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Read this article by Seema Mustafa and this was in February. Right after Musharraf surely but surely, the policy is going back to the 1990s.

http://www.tehelka.com/story_main43.asp?filename=Ne200210coverstory.asp
I wont think it gonna be cross-LOC terror in filtration like 1990s.It will be something like 1st Palestine Intifada (1987–1993).Like using adolescents and children and women as stone throwers to provoke security men and if someone dies add fuel to fire.thats what we saw in 20008 may and even recently.This brings up sympathy of leftist media and west.Right after turkish freedom flotilla incident i toald at that time just to wait for same thing get repeated in kashmir.

And regarding terror attacks by L-e-T it wont be cross-LOC in kashmir but it will be cross international border into indian cities.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
I wont think it gonna be cross-LOC terror in filtration like 1990s.It will be something like 1st Palestine Intifada (1987–1993).Like using adolescents and children and women as stone throwers to provoke security men and if someone dies add fuel to fire.thats what we saw in 20008 may and even recently.This brings up sympathy of leftist media and west.Right after turkish freedom flotilla incident i toald at that time just to wait for same thing get repeated in kashmir.

And regarding terror attacks by L-e-T it wont be cross-LOC in kashmir but it will be cross international border into indian cities.
what i am not getting is why is any sort of media coverage on all such incidents being given. take the media out and all the enthusiasm fizzles out.

ejazr

Ambassador

Lets not confuse with valid griveances with infiltrators and militants. Atleast in urban areas CRPF should be withdrawn and locals inducted into security forces like J&Kpolice or a local contingent of CRPF. Human Rights violations and fake encounter killings is a serious issue and in a strife torn area even more important. Not just in Kashmir but in Nagaland, Manipur and other NE states. For this proper training is needed and prosecution of those guilty. That is the best way to fizzle enthusiasm out of hte street protest.

The militants will come,and ifthe ISI wants to have its way, they will try to provoke a war with India so that they can withdraw and not go after the Taliban groups on the east. Mumbai was part of that but India didnt take the bait. Anditsonly a amtter of time they will try again.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
what i am not getting is why is any sort of media coverage on all such incidents being given. take the media out and all the enthusiasm fizzles out.
Then you'll be accused of infringing upon the fundamental rights.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Lets not confuse with valid griveances with infiltrators and militants. Atleast in urban areas CRPF should be withdrawn and locals inducted into security forces like J&Kpolice or a local contingent of CRPF. Human Rights violations and fake encounter killings is a serious issue and in a strife torn area even more important. Not just in Kashmir but in Nagaland, Manipur and other NE states. For this proper training is needed and prosecution of those guilty. That is the best way to fizzle enthusiasm out of hte street protest.

The militants will come,and ifthe ISI wants to have its way, they will try to provoke a war with India so that they can withdraw and not go after the Taliban groups on the east. Mumbai was part of that but India didnt take the bait. Anditsonly a amtter of time they will try again.
Then what you suggest pull out let the situation go out of hand like early 1990s and then go back instead sending Army or crpf learn from pakistanis and send MKI and carpet bomb whole valley?This you 've to agree that indian forces are not that trigger happy to go on killing speer like american or pakistanis or even chinese.And btw if im jobless i wont waste time in throwing stones i'll look out for job if not in valley then outside valley.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles