One-third of Chinese do not speak Putonghua, says Education Ministry

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
One-third of Chinese do not speak Putonghua, says Education Ministry

As many as three in 10 of China's 1.3 billion population are unable to communicate in Putonghua, China's Education Ministry said during an annual event to promote the official language.

"Thirty per cent of our nation's population does not speak Putonghua, and out of the 70 per cent of population who possess Putonghua skills, only one in ten can speak Putonghua articulately and fluently," the Education Ministry revealed in statement published on its official website last week.

That could mean that at least 400 million citizens remain unable to communicate in the language that was made official back in 1955.

"[This shows] the mission to promote Putonghua still faces tremendous difficulties," the ministry said on the 17th anniversary of its first annual event to promote Putonghua.

Standard Putonghua is based on the traditional dialect used in Beijing, and is modified from a northern Han dialect, one of China's seven major dialects used by ethnic Han Chinese. Notable traditional examples include Cantonese, Hokkien, and Wu.

Other minority ethnic cultures in China also have their own dialects, which in various degrees differ from Putonghua.

The People's Republic of China government first established Putonghua as the official language with the aim of easing communication barriers between the country's diverse cultures and their different dialects. Since that time it has effectively driven the use of Putonghua in classrooms and the civil service, but many citizens still use their local tone in their daily lives.

"Putonghua as an official dialect is playing an increasing role in maintaining society's coordinated operation and enhancing social welfare," the ministry's statement said.

As part of the effort to promote the official language, advertisements urging the public to use Putonghua have been displayed on radio, television, buses and other public venues recently.

But some of the intense local government campaigns to push Putonghua have been viewed as controversial and have incited discontent in societies that suspect Beijing is intent on eliminating their manner of speaking.

In the summer of 2010, thousands of Cantonese-speaking citizens in the southern province of Guangdong took to the streets following reports of a plan to change television content on local channels from Cantonese to Putonghua for part of each day.

In Hong Kong, residents have expressed concern over worries an increasing emphasis on Putonghua education in schools is coming at the expense of Cantonese, the dialect overwhelming used by the population. Some fear local culture and identity could wane over time as a consequence.

One-third of Chinese do not speak Putonghua, says Education Ministry | South China Morning Post
Those who have followed me on China would have seen the vehement, vociferous denials by the Chinese posters on any and everything I wrote to prove that I was wrong and even called a racist.

Now, there is one of the issue on which the Chinese posters bluff has been called.

it is their own Communist Govt who have exonerated my contention.

And this one that Mandarin, which they claimed is one language and understood by all. This has been proved to be patently false and that I was right all through.

The Chinese Govt in 1955 introduced what is known as Putonghua or simplified Chinese has not been accepted to be universal inspite of very ardent effort to do so, and effort that is not difficult in a totalitarian country where protest and dissensions can be brushed out and trampled under the boot of the police brutality.

The Southern Chinese are clear about their separate identity and so they have not taken kindly to the sly and cunning imposition of the Northern Mandarin spoken in Peking by modifying it and selling it as the only Mandarin that is acceptable.

three in 10 of China's 1.3 billion population are unable and refuse to communicate in Putonghua

And they are not ready to have their TV programmes converted to the Peking style Putonghua Mandarin.

So much for the much touted and tomtomed Chinese posters claim that Han is one huge homogeneous whole!

One more Han falsehood promoted by our Chinese posters stands exposed by their OWN Government.

Any comment @nimo_cn, @mylegend, @CCP, @shiphone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Re: One-third of Chinese do not speak Putonghua, says Education Minist

Those who have followed me on China would have seen the vehement, vociferous denials by the Chinese posters on any and everything I wrote to prove that I was wrong and even called a racist.

Now, there is one of the issue on which the Chinese posters bluff has been called.

And this one that Mandarin, which they claimed is one language and understood by all. This has been proved to be patently false and that I was right all through.

The Chinese Govt in 1955 introduced what is known as Putonghua or simplified Chinese has not been accepted to be universal inspite of very ardent effort to do so, and effort that is not difficult in a totalitarian country where protest and dissensions can be brushed out and trampled under the boot of the police brutality.

The Southern Chinese are clear about their separate identity and so they have not taken kindly to the sly and cunning imposition of the Northern Mandarin spoken in Peking by modifying it and selling it as the only Mandarin that is acceptable.

three in 10 of China's 1.3 billion population are unable and refuse to communicate in Putonghua

And they are not ready to have their TV programmes converted to the Peking style Putonghua Mandarin.

So much for the much touted and tomtomed Chinese posters claim that Han is one huge homogeneous whole!

One more Han falsehood promoted by our Chinese posters stands exposed by their OWN Government.

Cantonese and Mandarin are not dialects but two different languages.

Southern Chinese do not know Northern language like Mandarin and vice versa.

CCP calls then as a dialects which is a big lie.

There various languages in China which are called dialects by CCP.

Compersion

Country flag

spoken and written and reading all different variables.

the presumption is that the reading variable keeps the unity, concord and harmony. also there is the dominance of english in business.

not sure what the Singaporeans, Malaysian, Indonesians, and overseas chinese and even taiwanese, hong kong, north korea and tibetans have to say to CCP presumptions and variable interpretations towards the same.

but it was ingenious (not sure the history how and why) to make the written "chinese" language common and matching in different spoken areas.

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag

I know that there are a couple of Indian posters here who have travelled around China, I think they are more justified to comment than the thread starter who mainly learns about China through Internet.

I hope they will come to share their experiences about China.

If my memory serves, @Bangalorean and @Singh have been to China.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk 2

amoy

first of all the OP is ridiculous to claim that "PRC first estbalished Putonghua as the official language". as a matter of fact there had been an official link language for thousands of years like the one of "elegance" used in the court as recorded in the 《Poem》of Zhou Dynasty.

historically there was a set of strict rules for nomination of officials of all ranks, like a certain level of positions could not be held by locals (as specific as within xxx—mile periphery around his hometown) to avoid nepotism and regionalism. national examinations (keju) were held to cull mandarins regularly and emporers had to meet those top performers in person. it was unthinkable the candidates were not able to communicate with Human Resources personnel (hubu) at the central which was in charge of their performance appraisal! or how could they govern without language proficiency when cross-posting was compulsory away from their hometowns?

the word "putong" means "common, ordinary".

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag

I know that there are a couple of Indian posters here who have travelled around China, I think they are more justified to comment than the thread starter who mainly learns about China through Internet.

I hope they will come to share their experiences about China.

If my memory serves, @Bangalorean and @Singh have been to China.

Though I have traveled to China 7 times (and to Hong Kong 12 times), I don't know a word of Cantonese or Mandarin. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to learn, since I was always on consulting assignments, staying in hotels, and all interaction happened in English.

So, I am by no means an expert on Chinese languages. But what I do know is that people from Hong Kong look down upon mainland Chinese - I have heard several Hong Kongers passing snide remarks about mainlanders. In fact, throughout East Asia, I observed a strange phenomenon: I have seen that almost everyone looks down on everyone else. The South Koreans hate the Japanese and Chinese, the Chinese hate the Japanese and South Koreans, the Taiwanese have political problems with China, and dislike Japan totally. Japanese don't like Chinese and Koreans, and look down upon them. Hong Kongese people look down upon people from mainland China, and detest the Japanese. Everyone hates North Korea - both Japan and South Korea hate the NoKo establishment. Chinese find them crazy and idiotic too.

nimo_cn

Country flag

Though I have traveled to China 7 times (and to Hong Kong 12 times), I don't know a word of Cantonese or Mandarin. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to learn, since I was always on consulting assignments, staying in hotels, and all interaction happened in English.

So, I am by no means an expert on Chinese languages. But what I do know is that people from Hong Kong look down upon mainland Chinese - I have heard several Hong Kongers passing snide remarks about mainlanders. In fact, throughout East Asia, I observed a strange phenomenon: I have seen that almost everyone looks down on everyone else. The South Koreans hate the Japanese and Chinese, the Chinese hate the Japanese and South Koreans, the Taiwanese have political problems with China, and dislike Japan totally. Japanese don't like Chinese and Koreans, and look down upon them. Hong Kongese people look down upon people from mainland China, and detest the Japanese. Everyone hates North Korea - both Japan and South Korea hate the NoKo establishment. Chinese find them crazy and idiotic too.
very honest observations!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Cantonese and Mandarin are not dialects but two different languages.

Southern Chinese do not know Northern language like Mandarin and vice versa.

CCP calls then as a dialects which is a big lie.

There various languages in China which are called dialects by CCP.
The Chinese Han loves to declare the different languages as 'dialects' in total conformity of their duplicitous approach and fooling the world.

I have repeatedly indicated that they are not dialects but different languages, but the Chinese posters go into a tizzy to prove that I am wrong. based on their personal opinion and with no facts to refute what I have stated with links!

They live in denial and peddling falsehood as truth.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Putonghua rated more 'weird' than Cantonese in language study

Putonghua ranks among the top 25 "weirdest" languages in the world, while Cantonese was among the 10 least "weirdest", according to linguistic findings from a US database.

The research, published by San Francisco-based consulting firm Idibon, may come as a surprise to language learners who struggle with the nine tones of Cantonese, compared with four for Putonghua.

"Weirdness" was determined by comparing the linguistic features of 239 languages, including word order, types of sounds and ways of forming negation, according to Tyler Schnoebelen, co-founder and senior data scientist at Idibon, which helps businesses make sense of language data.

By employing a "non-English-centric approach", the study evaluates "weirdness" of a certain language not by how different it is compared with English, but by how unusual its features are from all the other languages in the project, said Schnoebelen, who holds a doctorate from Stanford.

The language that was most different, or the "weirdest", was Chalcatongo Mixtec, spoken by 6,000 people in Oaxaca, Mexico. Hindi, one of the official languages of India, was rated the least "weird", or the most "non-deviant" language in the newly released Language Weirdness Index.

English ranks No 33 on the index.

"Part of this is to say that some of the languages you take for granted as being normal, like English, Spanish or German, consistently do things different," said Schnoebelen.

But surprisingly, Putonghua - commonly perceived as an easier language than Cantonese - is more "weird" than Cantonese, and even French, Icelandic and Japanese.

Unlike Cantonese, Putonghua has "uvular continuants" and some limits on "velar nasals" (as in the ng sound), which are features considered rare worldwide, said Schnoebelen. This could have contributed to its higher "weirdness" values.

In an e-mail to the South China Morning Post, Schnoebelen further explained:

An example of a "uvular continuants" in Mandarin would be something like "和" [often pronounced as hé, meaning "with"]. Mandarin is one of only 12 out of 567 languages that have a uvular sound but it is only a continuant - a continuant has continuing airflow. Cantonese doesn't have any uvular consonants at all.

Lester Chan, a Cantonese tutor in Hong Kong, said many features of the ancient Chinese language, now lost in Putonghua, have been preserved in Cantonese.

For instance, Cantonese can have a nasal sound like ng at both the beginning and the end of words, but Putonghua can only have the sound at the end. Chan said he wasn't surprised that such features was considered "weird" by the study.

"Cantonese is like the majority of the world's languages - 468 out of 567- in that it is happy having velar nasals anywhere in a word," said Schnoebelen. "A good example is the Cantonese pronunciation of 我 [ngo meaning 'I']."

Chris Lam, a Cantonese and Putonghua tutor at the International Language Centre in Central, said weirdness probably does not indicate how hard a language is to learn. Most of his foreign students have found learning Cantonese more challenging, he said.

"For starters, Cantonese has nine tones, and Putonghua has only four," Lam said.

But Lam said the fact that Cantonese is harder hasn't thwarted the students, who learn Cantonese to communicate with locals and Putonghua to do business with mainland China.

Said Schnoebelen: "I think people want to use the weirdness scale to talk about language difficulty. But I don't really think it can be used that way. Motivation [to learn a language] and immersion are much more important than structural facts."

Putonghua rated more 'weird' than Cantonese in language study | South China Morning Post

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Mandarin

GENERAL INTRODUCTION
Mandarin is the most widely spoken of all Chinese languages/dialects and is used by upwards of 720 million people in China, or 70 percent of the population of China (Grimes 1992). It is spoken in a huge area of the mainland running diagonally from the extreme southwest to Manchuria and also along the entire east coast north of Shanghai. To generalize, most of China with the exception of the southeastern provinces from Vietnam in the southwest to Shanghai in the northeast is Mandarin speaking. Other exceptional areas are in the far west. There are also non-Chinese speaking minorities in many areas of China.

Substantial numbers of speakers are in Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Russia, the USA, Mongolia, Vietnam, Brunei, South Africa, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Hong Kong. The total number of speakers in approximately 885 million (Grimes 1994).

LINGUISTIC AFFILIATION
Mandarin, belongs to an independent branch of the Sino-Tibetan language family. This includes several major subfamilies: Tibetan, spoken in Tibet; Lolo-Burmese, in Burma, and in discontinuous parts of southern China, etc.; and Karen, in lower Burma. Tibetan, Lolo-Burmese, and Karen are more closely related than the Chinese languages/dialects are to any of the other subfamily members.

The major linguistic distinctions within Chinese are Mandarin, Wu, Min, Yue (commonly known as Cantonese), and Hakka (Kejia). Wu, Min, Yue and Hakka are all spoken in the southern and southeastern provinces of China (Guangdong, Fujian, most of Hunan, Jianxi, and Zhejiang, and parts of Guangxi, Anhui, and Jiangsu) and on the islands of Taipei (Taiwan) and Hainan. Cantonese is more closely related to Min and Hakka; it is spoken in Guangdong and Guangzi provinces and in Hong Kong.

LANGUAGE VARIATION
Several subgroups of dialects have been distinguished, including: Northern, Northwestern, Southwestern, and lower Yangtze River dialects. For the most part these are very homogeneous and there is a high level of mutual comprehension among all speakers of Mandarin dialects. The Beijing dialect provides the standard for the national language which is officially called Putonghua in China, Guoyu in Taiwan, and Huayu in Singapore. There are some minor differences between these three. Other names which have been used are Pei, Northern Chinese, Potinhua, and Beijinghua. Modern Standard Chinese also is used to refer to the Beijing-based standard.

Although this profile speaks of "Chinese languages/dialects" the Chinese themselves refer to all forms of spoken Chinese as "dialects" even though some of them are as different as Spanish and Italian and are not mutually intelligible. The fiction of a single Chinese language--despite the many historical forms, styles, and regional variants--persists because of a common writing system with deep historical roots and because of a common ideal of cultural unity.

ORTHOGRAPHY
Mandarin is written in traditional Chinese characters, a system that developed over 4,000 years ago. It utilizes a set of logographs of several types: pictographs, ideographs, compound ideographs, loan characters, and phonetic compounds. The latter forms over 90 percent of the total set of as many as 40,000 characters (Li and Thompson 1979, 1987). There is also an official romanization called Pinyin. There are other systems but Pinyin, developed in the 1950s, has become widespread throughout China, and has received official encouragement.

There is little connection between the written and spoken language: the Chinese system of writing, for the most part, does not symbolize the spoken language. Because it is ideographic, speakers of all Chinese languages/dialects, regardless of the similarity of spoken form, can read and understand Chinese writing and literature (for further information see the Cantonese Profile).

LINGUISTIC SKETCH
Chinese is predominantly an isolating language, meaning that for the most part it is devoid of inflection, which characterizes many European languages including English. Word order, particles, prepositions and discourse--rather than a system of affixes attached to nouns or verbs--indicate grammatical relations, that is, how the various constituents of a sentence interrelate.

Compared to other languages, word structure is also simple and uncomplicated, with words consisting of one or two morphemes, and there are few inflectional morphemes, such as those in other languages that indicate, for example, tense, person, number, gender, and case.

There is some morphological complexity. Definite nouns may be overtly marked by various modifiers but usually any sentential constituents before the verb are considered as definite. Number also can be expressed by a suffix but only for nouns indicating human beings and also obligatorily for personal pronouns; otherwise it is ignored or shown by lexical means, e.g. a numeral. Modifiers precede nouns.

Verbs can occur in compounds in which the second element indicates result or direction. Tense is not indicated in verb phrases; instead there are particles which are suffixed to the verb to indicate certain aspects, such as perfect, durative, inchoative, and experiential.

There is also a set of particles which occur at the end of sentences; these function, for example, to change declarative sentences into questions, to produce commands or suggestions, and so on.

In Mandarin, compounding and derivational morphemes are common; thus, the language is largely polysyllabic in word structure in contrast to Cantonese, for example, where the characterization of "monosyllabic" is accurate.

The syntax is rather simple and uncomplicated but unusual from the standpoint of English. Notions such as subject, direct and indirect object play no significant role. Serial verb constructions in expressing subordinate relationships such as purpose are the norm and there are no overt markers for indicating subordination or coordination. The distinction between active and passive voice is often left unmarked but there are prepositions which can be used to indicate agents. Indirect objects in most cases are marked by a preposition and precede the verb. Pronouns are remarkable in how infrequently they are used.

Mandarin is a tone language in which each stressed syllable has a significant contrastive pitch which is an integral part of the syllable. All Chinese languages/dialects have tone, but Mandarin has one of the simplest systems, consisting of four basic tones (high level, high rising, dipping/falling, high falling) in contrast to Cantonese, for example, with nine contrastive tones.

Morpheme structure in Chinese is relatively simple, for example, consonant clusters are not tolerated and only a restricted number of consonants can occur in syllable-final position.

ROLE IN SOCIETY
Mandarin, under the term "Putonghua" is the official language of the People's Republic of China. It is also the official language of Taiwan, where it is called Guoyu, and is one of the official languages of Singapore where it is referred to as Huayu. All of the official standards are based on the Beijing dialect. The term Mandarin itself derives from a Beijing expression, which means "officials' language."

Since Mandarin, in the guise of Modern Standard Chinese, was adopted in 1956 as the officially sanctioned language for the nation, it has been actively and zealously promoted through the media of education, broadcasting, television, and the press. It is steadily making inroads in traditional non-Mandarin areas, especially as a written language.

HISTORY
Three periods in the history of Chinese can be distinguished: Preclassical from 1500 to 500BC; Classical from 500BC to 200AD; and Postclassical from 200AD to the present.

The earliest attestations date from the first period, in the form of inscriptions on bone and tortoise shell; they are in the form of short oracle inscriptions; later on they were done on bronze. Also from later in this period there is an anthology of 305 poems, called the Shijing (The Book of Songs, or Classic of Poetry) from which scholars have been able to infer much about the structure and form of the language from that period.

The Classical period begins with the earliest writings of Confucius and ends with the Han dynasty (206BC - 220AD). Many prose works dating from this time exist. The language of the postclassical period was modeled on that of the Classical period, but in the meantime the vernaculars had evolved to the point that the writing of this period when read aloud was not comprehensible. Nevertheless it continued as a form used by administrators, scholars and the literate and some of the greatest literature of the Tang dynasty (618 to 907) and neo-Confucian works were produced during this period. This style endured into the first half of the twentieth century when there was a reaction against some of the highly stylized literature of the various historical periods. In the early years of the twentieth century serious efforts were undertaken to provide the masses with a form of the language that could be understood by all. This culminated in 1956 with the adoption of Modern Standard Chinese whose model for pronunciation is the Beijing dialect of Mandarin, and for grammar the regional variant of Northern Mandarin, and for its lexicon the modern vernacular literature. Part of the reform movement included the simplification of the traditional characters and the formation and dissemination of a phonetic alphabet, known as Pinyin. Both were motivated by the desire to eliminate illiteracy.

REFERENCES
Arendrup, B. 1994. "Chinese." In R. E. Asher, ed. The Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics, Vol. 2:516-524. Oxford: Pergamon Press.

_____. 1994. "Chinese Writing System." In R. E. Asher, ed. The Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics, Vol. 2:530-534. Oxford: Pergamon Press.

Campbell, G. L. 1991. Compendium of the World's Languages, Vol. 1 -2. London and New York: Routledge.

Central Intelligence Agency. 1990. "Chinese Linguistic Groups" (Map number 719766 (545114) 9-90).

Comrie, B. (ed.). 1987. The World's Major Languages. New York: Oxford University Press.

Grimes, B. F. (ed.) 1992. Ethnologue, Languages of the World. Dallas, TX: Summer Institute of Linguistics.

Li, C. 1992. "Chinese." In W. Bright, ed. International Encyclopedia of Linguistics, Vol. 1, pp. 257-262. New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Li, C. and S. A. Thompson. 1987. "Chinese." In B. Comrie, ed. The World's Major Languages, pp. 811-833. New York: Oxford University Press.

Li, C. and S. A. Thompson. 1979. "Chinese: Dialect Variations and Language Reform." In T. Shopen, ed. Languages and Their Status, pp. 295-335. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Winthrop Publishers, Inc.

Linguistic Society of America. 1992. Directory of Programs in Linguistics in the United States and Canada. Washington, DC.

Ruhlen, M. 1987. A Guide to the World's Languages, Vol. 1: Classification. London: Edward Arnold.

Wang, W. S.-Y. and R. E. Asher. 1994. "Chinese Linguistic Tradition." In R. E. Asher, ed. The Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics, Vol. 2:524-527. Oxford: Pergamon Press.

UCLA Language Materials Project: Language Profile
What must be noted and is of import is that Mandarin, in the guise of Modern Standard Chinese, was adopted in 1956 as the officially sanctioned language for the nation.

Therefore, the Chinese posters remain exposed of the falsehood that historically, what they claim as the 'Chinese langiage' was the same!

Ping Pong maybe taken to be a game, but Ping and Pong are not the same when it is written.

Last edited:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

HongKong is also bullied by China and locals hate Chinese. HongKong wants freedom from China.

China Is on the Attack Against Hong Kong Democracy Movement Occupy Central - US News
China's verbal assault on Occupy Central is shameful.Beijing isn't pleased with the democracy movement in Hong Kong. Fresh from ranting against Hong Kong pro-democracy leaders for their recent visit to the United States and Canada, Beijing has issued a renewed verbal assault on protest movement Occupy Central, which plans civil disobedience action in the event that current negotiations don't produce an acceptable plan for universal suffrage for future Hong Kong elections.

Hong Kong's Democracy Movement Gets Attention in Taiwan
Taiwan's government called on China this week to respect Hong Kong's wishes to elect their own leaders. China has ruled Hong Kong since 1997. But, China promised to give Hong Kong some independence.Chinese officials said earlier this month they will not permit Hong Kong to have open elections. Instead, they want a pro-China group to approve candidates for chief executive.Many people in Taiwan have watched the relationship between China and Hong Kong closely. China claims control of Taiwan. But Taiwan has operated as a democracy since 1987.

Occupy Central protesters march with 500-meter long black cloth, which they say symbolizes the loss of credibility in Beijing's refusal to allow true democracy in Hong Kong, Sept. 14, 2014.

Hong Kong independence movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Hong Kong independence movement is a movement that advocates Hong Kong becoming an independent sovereign state.[1] Following the handover of Hong Kong to the People's Republic of China, many Hongkongers have expressed concern over the governance by the Communist Party of China over issues surrounding justice, freedom, democratic development, as well as well-developed economic environment after being a special administrative region.

esolve

these 1/3 is nearly the old Chinese ppl, especially the minority
or some middle-aged ppl with strong accent.
a chinese who speak putonghua with strong dialect is not counted as putonghua speaker
It is like, strong Indian-style English is not counted as English coz when some indians speak english with strong accent, many ppl can't understand

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

a chinese who speak putonghua with strong dialect is not counted as putonghua speaker
It is like, strong Indian-style English is not counted as English coz when some indians speak english with strong accent, many ppl can't understand
Thank you for your weak and lame excuse.

But then truth is not a virtue for Communist Chinese.

I presume you will also call the Chinese Govt Ministry and Minister as talking through the wrong orifice.

Maybe you are right.

But how can one be sure that others scrambling for cover of falsehood are not emulating them?

The Han normally speak with one voice, at least on this forum.

Last edited:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag

I get this.

It is when we DFIans cannot understand the strong Chinese posters in DFI who are hiding behind Italian flags and the hidden agenda behind their posts.

:pound: :rofl: :rofl: :pound:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

It is called 双面 欺骗; 骗局; 诡计; 骗子
Two-sided fraud; fraud; tricks; con artists

Sambha ka Boss

first of all the OP is ridiculous to claim that "PRC first estbalished Putonghua as the official language". as a matter of fact there had been an official link language for thousands of years like the one of "elegance" used in the court as recorded in the 《Poem》of Zhou Dynasty.

historically there was a set of strict rules for nomination of officials of all ranks, like a certain level of positions could not be held by locals (as specific as within xxx—mile periphery around his hometown) to avoid nepotism and regionalism. national examinations (keju) were held to cull mandarins regularly and emporers had to meet those top performers in person. it was unthinkable the candidates were not able to communicate with Human Resources personnel (hubu) at the central which was in charge of their performance appraisal! or how could they govern without language proficiency when cross-posting was compulsory away from their hometowns?

All your TV program are run with Pictograph subtitles because there is nothing called a single Chinese language. Mandarin is a proper language based on Putonghua.

Sambha ka Boss

All your TV program are run with Pictograph subtitles because there is nothing called a single Chinese language. Mandarin is a proper language based on Putonghua.

esolve

who told you that all TV program are subtitled?
besides, nothing wrong with subtitle, coz seeing is easier than listening, I prefer TV programs with subtitles, it is just a habbit

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

who told you that all TV program are subtitled?
besides, nothing wrong with subtitle, coz seeing is easier than listening, I prefer TV programs with subtitles, it is just a habbit
Are you Chinese?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles