One dead in T-90 tank accident

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
Published March 2, 2012 |

In a freak accident, a soldier perched over a T-90 battle tank was killed when its driver lost control and dashed against a concrete structure here Friday.

A concrete slab fell on the tank following the mishap, killing the soldier and injuring another at the Combat Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (CVRDE).

"It is an unfortunate accident. The tank was taken out for testing. The driver was inside the tank and two others were sitting outside," a senior official told IANS.

"The driver lost control and dashed against a concrete column. A concrete slab fell on the tank killing one person and injuring the other," he said.

The dead man was identified as Harish. Another source told IANS: "The tanks are parked inside a garage. The vehicle was taken out for a test run when the accident happened. "It seems one of the steering sticks of the tank got stuck and the driver lost control of the vehicle."

The injured soldier has been admitted in a military hospital. T-90 is a Russian battle tank. India also manufacturers modified T-90 tanks at the Heavy Vehicles Factory here. These are called Bhishma

One dead in T-90 battle tank accident in Chennai | idrw.org

This happens when Indian defence PSU's are in a race to match Chinese PSU's..:laugh:

Last edited:

indian_sukhoi

no matter how much careful you be, accidents like these could not be prevented.

p2prada

My condolence to his family.

@Jayram

No need to be sarcastic over other people's tragedies.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Jayram this is accident, no need to be sarcastic about it.

Blackwater

why the hell those 2 jawans sitting on outside of T-90 tank. is it Punjab roadways bus that people sit on outside??

p2prada

The weather may have been too hot to sit inside the tank.

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
My condolence to his family.

@Jayram

No need to be sarcastic over other people's tragedies.
@p2prada, @nitesh:

i am not sarcastic and willnot be. But i can only use such words on desperation that how priceless are these govt institutions taking the life of a soldier.. Be a soldier yourself or watch them growing, then you will feel how much hardships the 'genuine soldiers' have to face to get to a post and may be one day after entering service we can see his body in triflag colours.. Newly recruited soldiers are often posted in borders in infantry with little knowledge of scenario and they are ambushed like Saurabh in within days.. They are simply puppets or experiment bodies before govt..:tsk:

Nothing to hope.. we are loosing many soldiers in negligence more.. God knows how the stearing got stuck...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
why the hell those 2 jawans sitting on outside of T-90 tank. is it Punjab roadways bus that people sit on outside??

That is seen everywhere in india, most in trains..

a soldier perched over a T-90 battle tank
This seems to me a deliberate accident...

Blackwater

That is seen everywhere in india, most in trains..

This seems to me a deliberate accident...
You did not get my point. I said, was T-90 used as punjab roadways bus that jawans were sitting outside of it like punjab buses

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
You did not get my point. I said, was T-90 used as punjab roadways bus that jawans were sitting outside of it like punjab buses
i said not only punjab buses but we can see people on top and sides everywhere in india on any vehicle...

blackwater, how your join date is 2012?..

Last edited:

Blackwater

i said not only punjab buses but we can see people on top and sides everywhere in india on any vehicle...

blackwater, how your join date is 2012?..
Hahah conspiracy by MODS. They deleted my profile by (mistake) well i doubt it lolllllllll

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
hoops it's sad, They must be more careful and why they where sitting on tank when the Test is on ? During test no one will know what will go wrong :(

And also if the steering is locked is there no mechanism to control it ? what if this was happened in battle i am sure there will be counter mechanism or at least a kill switch, btb the Test driver would have been fairly experienced

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
R.I.P. & condolences to his family.

In my short time in armor service (a couple of years in peacetime before Desert Storm), I feared more of death by accident than in any other service. You can get run over, crushed inside by turning turret, injured by gun recoil, killed by low clearance tree limbs... etc.

And not to mention on the battlefield you are in a big target.

Ironically, the only accidental death in the unit was a soldier driving a jeep (M151). Driving down the road, the wind took off his hat, he grabbed for it and in doing so jerked the steering wheel to hard the vehicle flipped. He was thrown clear, but the lifting eye in one of the wheels struck him behind the ear and he died instantly.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles