Olympic silver-medallist Vijay Kumar wants to quit Indian Army

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Olympic silver-medallist Vijay Kumar wants to quit Indian Army

NEW DELHi: London Olympic silver-medallist shooter Vijay Kumar on Monday said that he wants to leave Indian Army as he has not been given a single promotion in last six years despite good performances at the national and international levels.

Unheralded Vijay, who is a subedar with 16 Dogra Regiment, provided the silver lining for India in London Games last week, clinching the second place in the 25m rapid fire pistol event.

"Indian army helped me in shooting by giving me coaching facilities and providing me with pistol and ammunition but I need money for my daily needs," said Vijay.

"Since 2006 I won many national and international medals that includes 2010 Commonwealth Games' three gold and one silver medal. But I have not been recommended by my seniors. I have not given any promotion or honorary award or any other kind of facility," he added.

Six-time national champion, Vijay had won two silver at ISSF's World Cup. And though he missed out on a medal in rapid fire event at Guangzhou Asiad, he won two bronze in air pistol and center fire pistol. He also won a gold at Doha Asian Games.

"I have been continuously performing well in shooting, but I have not given any reward. I am still a subedar," complained Vijay.

Asked if he has written to his seniors about this, Vijay said, "Nothing is given in written. It is done automatically. If somebody is performing well, he is recommended by seniors."

Himachal Pradesh government has announced Rs 1 crore for Vijay but he is not satisfied with it as he is not been given any state awards so far.

"After 2010 CWG, Haryana, Punjab and other states gave promotion to their players but I have not received any award from my state where Parshuram and Himachal Gaurav award is given to those players who perform well at national and international level," he said.

The Indian Army, on its part, said it may consdider giving Vijay promotion.

The Army also said that it will felicitate the shooter with some cash award once he is back from London.

Olympic medallist Vijay Kumar wants to quit Indian Army - The Times of India
At 26, this man is a Subedar and he did not have to undertake any Promotion exams and got his promotion for his wins in sport.

That he is a Subedar without doing anything that is Army like, excepting shooting under army's aegis at Mhow is, in itself is worth mention in Guinness Book of Records.

Dhan Singh Thapa and Hoshiyar Singh are living PVC, the highest gallantry awards, because they put their lives at stake so that we could sleep in the security of the blanket they provided us.

Did they want to have instant promotion flouting rules, which this Vijay has got for lesser achievements? Did they demand that now that they have put their lives at stake for the Nation, they should become instant Presidents of the Nation?

I agree recognition MUST be given.

But not illogical one and that too by threatening blackmail.

Let him quit.

Let him find a sponsor in the commercial world and let that company get him the best of coaches and facilities.

Good luck to him.

I am sure the Army will not miss a Lotus Eater, who comes into prominence because of the Army and then ridicules it!

He has made a hole in the very plate that he has eaten so far.

I find it disgraceful, but our populist Army under growing politicization will bend and acquiesce.

It will be another example of the rot that has set into the army trying to be egalitarian!

In the Army that I served, it was about serving the Nation and not about awards and recognition.

Demands for award and recognition is that of a mercenary!

We were not mercenaries.

We were there in the army since it was a calling and not merely a profession or an escape from poverty and I speak for millions of officers and men!

Last edited:

aragorn

Good for army!

Army can do very well without greedy people like him.

I read somewhere Sports minister Ajay makan has asked army to make an exception and give him status of an IAS officer equivalent.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Good for army!

Army can do very well without greedy people like him.

I read somewhere Sports minister Ajay makan has asked army to make an exception and give him status of an IAS officer equivalent.
I am sure, given the latest kowtowing set around, it will be accepted.

Moral uprightness and independence of the military is no longer there!

This Vijay chap signifies the rot that has spread all the way up and down!

Such a thought would never have come from a genuine army man of old!

How can we forget post retirement benefits that come with kowtowing - Governorship!

Last edited:

sob

Mod
Country flag
The correct approach for the Khel Mantri should have been to take it up with the RM, rather than give silly sound bites to the media.

parijataka

Country flag
leaves a bad taste in the mouth, this attitude of vijay kumar.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Vijay Kuram is to be faulted, if one wants to, because yes, the Army is about discipline, comradery and duty above all, but things have been long changing in the Army and Vijay isn't alone, but a telling tale of how the things have been changing.

A good friend and a bright chap, then a Major, now a Lt. Col. and comes from an Army background, back then was so enthusiastically talking about how eager he was about entering the corporate world and leaving the army that it almost seemed he was just not willing to serve the Army anymore, and was being forced on him. It's another thing he couldn't make through the institute he was targeting for MBA and so didn't venture, today he has been assigned an assignment with the UN by the Army.

Someone I have pretty much grown up with, slightly elder, a full time Col. today, serving, and you would wonder what was it that he had that he could make it through the SSB interview and like earlier days, continues to feature a pot belly, but then many things happen when you have your uncles serving the Army, and some at senior ranks.

Not that it is as common a sight, for there are many dedicated chaps and makes me remind of someone who said without any hesitation that his first love was the Army at the time of a marriage proposal, should have been a captain back then. Another someone I grew up with, a Lt. Col. today, and what passion for the forces. But things have changed a lot in the Army. It's definitely not what it used to be anymore, even the serving officers one gets to meet aren't what their retired seniors are.

Nor will I blame Vijay entirely because one can sense the aspirations within when he must be seeing his contemporaries in the shooting contingent and how a few of them would be living their lives without the responsibilities that come with the Army. The grudge of sorts seems deep rooted, it's just that he spoke out at a public platform, may be he should have picked up a better platform, and his outburst isn't a good indicator especially when the Army is running short of officers, when frequent suicides are being reported and here is a case of a Subedar trying to be a media darling for a wrong reason.

And if it's too deep a grudge and a resentment, it's better Vijay finds a better alternative with dignity than he ends up sulking all throughout his life, or the Army shows him the way.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Last edited:

Blackwater

he is free to go anywhere but where will he eat roti ????? this media coverage will be gone in few days and nobody will ask about him.

atleast army gives him status and roti.

on the other hand army should also change its policies about sportsman.if they want to encourage sportsman in army want them to perform in Olympics then they should reward them time to time

Ankit Purohit

Country flag
what about colonel Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, He is in service or not

arya

Country flag
he should be fired

what is if win a medal thats not means he is beyond the army .

he is like a bad son who refuse his parents after some success in public

shame on him

arya

Country flag
he is not showing respect to dress , he is a bad example for the others [/B]

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
"Indian army helped me in shooting by giving me coaching facilities and providing me with pistol and ammunition but I need money for my daily needs," said Vijay.
Doesn't make sense after the 1 crore given by the State Govt.
A sensible man or his sensible family can easily turn this money into permanent income source and he'll surely get promotion this time. What gives !! :(
Is Subedar salary and army perks not enough for his daily needs :mad2:

Regards,
Virendra

arya

Country flag
Doesn't make sense after the 1 crore given by the State Govt.
A sensible man or his sensible family can easily turn this money into permanent income source and he'll surely get promotion this time. What gives !! :(
Is Subedar salary and army perks not enough for his daily needs :mad2:

Regards,
Virendra

he is not a normal civilian he is army man and he letdown army by his statement .

a sex worker can easily earn money but she dont have the proud or respect in world

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I believe this Vijay Kumar is being given a Class 1 officer post in the SAI.

Good luck and God Speed!

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
I believe this Vijay Kumar is being given a Class 1 officer post in the SAI.

Good luck and God Speed!
Ray sir before condemning him think twice.after all he is one of the two individual silver medalists india has and considering that fact army's reluctance to offer any perk for him initially was to be blamed.Why couldn't army provide money abd promotion for such heroes who bring glory to the the forces.After all he didn't done any fake encounter in which innocents are murdered nor shown the pic of fake dead body of own soldier in Paki camo with tomato sauce . When his civilian counterparts are getting prices worth crores why couldn't him?
If armycan spare crores of rupees for the welfare of senior officers why couldn't they just provide a decent gift for such medal winners.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles