Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize | Reuters

OSLO (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for giving the world "hope for a better future" with his work for peace and calls to reduce the global stockpile of nuclear weapons.
The Norwegian Nobel Committee praised Obama for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

The first African-American to hold his country's highest office, Obama has called for disarmament and worked to restart the stalled Middle East peace process since taking office in January.

"Very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said in a citation.

It awarded the prize to Obama less than nine months into his presidency. Despite setting out an ambitious international agenda, he has yet to score any breakthrough on the Middle East or Iran's nuclear program, and faces difficult choices on the conduct of the war in Afghanistan.

Last month Obama chaired a historic meeting of the United Nations Security Council, which unanimously approved a U.S.-drafted resolution calling on nuclear weapons states to scrap their arsenals.

Obama is the third senior U.S. Democrat to win the prize this decade after former Vice President Al Gore won in 2007 along with the U.N. climate panel and Jimmy Carter in 2002.

The prize worth 10 million Swedish crowns ($1.4 million) will be handed over in Oslo on December 10.

Vladimir79

Professional
:swtf: ... this is more premature than when they gave it to Arafat.

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
OMG :rofl:

What he has done for world Peace? Sending more troops to Afghanistan!! Planing to attack Iran!!! :D:D

Just 2 day before I was of the veiw (in shout box) that Nobel Peace prize is worthless. They proved me right. They tried it for Bush. But finally Obama got it.

Mahatma Gandhi, the greatest symbol of peace had never got it. That tells the story for me.

A.V.

for giving the world "hope for a better future" with his work for peace and calls to reduce the global stockpile of nuclear weapons.
when did they start giving nobel prize for HOPE rather than something in substance?

they have made the peace prize a joke in recent times, it would have been better if given at the end of 4 hours with some work to show for rather than just hope
throughly disappointed

ahmedsid

Top Gun
This has eroded any Respect I had (ANY) for the Nobel Peace Prize! Hell they should give one to me! I have been "HOPING" for Peace between India and Pakistan far longer than Obama has been calling for Peace!!!

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
He campaign for "Change" so Nobel peace prize policies got changed.

S.A.T.A

They've got to be kidding,Obama, with all due respects,has but barely managed to to bring about any change or instill any hope in USA,let alone the whole wide world.

The Prize committee has just allowed itself to be carried off by the Obama hype.....Or is it a case of 'anyone after Dubya a saint' syndrome.

Congratulations to Obama anyway!

Quickgun Murugan

Hey, Don't complain. After his Olympic debacle, they had to give him atleast something. I wont be surprised if he is given an Academy award for best Actor too.

ppgj

they have made the peace prize a joke in recent times,
only today i awarded the nobel peace prize 2009 to Martian!! in one of the china threads!!:crazy:

gokulakannan

Did obama ordered to their officials to reduce all the nukes in america? But he is telling others to reduce the nukes. this is ridiculous.:peace::lol: :clever66:

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
This got to be most outrageous thing that everyone would have heard or read this year. Nobel Peace prize lost my respect forever. I think the Nobel committee was on drugs while deciding Obama for peace prize.

Pintu

This is simply a mockery , in the name of giving Nobel Peace Prize, where contribution does not worth much , I think the prize it self may be at loss of interest. IMO academy award already lost its previous values , that's why they have decided to award him some thing else. Biggest joke of the century.

Regards

Pintu

Obama's Nobel seen as daring bet on future | Reuters

Obama's Nobel seen as "daring" bet on future
Fri Oct 9, 2009 11:21am EDT

By Wojciech Moskwa and Alister Doyle

OSLO (Reuters) - Barack Obama is not the first Nobel laureate to win mainly for raising hopes of a better world, rather than achieving peace. But rarely, experts say, does a politician win so soon after gaining power and without a major foreign policy accomplishment under his belt.

"The Nobel Committee wants the prize to have an impact and it certainly can with Obama, although in many ways it's premature," said Kristian Berg Karpviken, head of the International Peace Research Institute in Oslo (PRIO).

"I can't see another Nobel as daring as this -- to present someone who is only at the beginning and is yet to have a significant impact," he said.

The long process of picking the laureate by the Nobel Committee meant that Obama had to be nominated for the prize by the start of February, just days after he was sworn in as U.S. president.

In its citation, the Nobel Committee said: "Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future."

Nobel Committee Chairman Thorbjoern Jagland said what Obama had already achieved since replacing President George W. Bush -- including seeking nuclear disarmament and creating "a new climate in international politics" -- made him a worthy winner.

But not all agreed, even in Norway, which cherishes the Nobel Peace prize as its most heard voice on the global stage.

Siv Jensen, the head of Norway's biggest opposition party, said: "In the year he's been president he has not achieved concrete things in peace work. I mean that should be the criterion in handing out the peace prize, not expectations."

Jagland compared Obama's prize to the 1990 award to ex-Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev and the 1971 prize to then German Chancellor Willy Brandt.

But Gorbachev won a year after the fall of the Berlin Wall -- the main symbol of the ending of the Cold War -- although the Soviet Union had not yet disintegrated. And Brandt, who won for opening up to the East, had been chancellor since 1969.

Often Nobels are given as a sort of lifetime achievement award for peace makers, such as former U.S. President Jimmy Carter, who won in 2002, and the 2008 winner, former Finnish president Martti Ahtisaari.

Some likened Obama's prize to the 1978 award shared by Egyptian President Mohammad Anwar Al-Sadat and Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin, who negotiated peace between their countries which, at the time, provided much hope for security across the Middle East. Such peace still remains elusive.

Another prize based on hopes of achievement, rather than past success, and producing little impact was the 1976 award to Betty Williams and Mairead Corrigan, co-founders of the Peace People who vainly sought reconciliation in northern Ireland.

(Editing by Mark Trevelyan)

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
He absolutely did not deserve it. Come on! 9 months in office and verbally committing to a few peace deals, while others worked their lives out for peace? Giving promises and 'hopes' don't win Nobels, hard, testable work wins it. It's an achievement FFS!

The Bilderberg Group rigged the Nobel Peace Prize this year to give Obama the Nobel in an attempt to salvage his plummeting popularity especially after his failed attempt to win the Olympics bid for Chicago, another failed popularity stunt. He was merely a couple of weeks into office when nominations for the Nobel Prize were closed. There's no way he was deserving of the prize then, even more so now.

indian_blues

Country flag
As Rajdeep Sardesai said the Nobel is not for the individual Obama but for the brand Obama, I see him as a brand for hope. If an afro-american can be an American president anything can be achieved in the world, peacefull world can be achived someday by just hoping. Probably this is the message Nobel commitee delivers to the world by this award. Please see it in broader perspective.

macintosh

Ridiculous, ain't this ?. They didn't give it to MK Gandhi for years of practicing Non-violence, of which by the way I disapproved, but gave it to Obama for 9 month's of Grandiloquent and pompous rhetoric. Shame on the committee !. By the way I am sure to refuse it now whenever they offer it to me as I am against partisan behavior and feel that the prize has lost it's value.

Regards.

johnee

As Rajdeep Sardesai said the Nobel is not for the individual Obama but for the brand Obama, I see him as a brand for hope. If an afro-american can be an American president anything can be achieved in the world, peacefull world can be achived someday by just hoping. Probably this is the message Nobel commitee delivers to the world by this award. Please see it in broader perspective.
aahh, Rajdeep has given a good spin, but I dont think this will lend any credibility to this award. The fact is that Obama has done nothing whatsoever now nor in January(when the nominations for the Nobel Prize closed) to deserve this award. The fact that Mahatma Gandhi has not given a Nobel Prize, speaks volumes about this award. This award seems to be given to help the plummeting popularity of Obama. Especially, after failing to get olympics for Chicago. Nobel Committe is prone to political pressure, but this kind of illogical candidates will take any leftover credibility of the awards. Nobel Peace prize lost all its remaining credibility and respect.

Martian

Respected Member
For a while now, I've wondered if the Nobel Peace Prize committee was making awards based on politics, instead of merit. While I'm a big fan of Obama, I don't believe that Obama has accomplished anything yet that is momentous enough to justify the Nobel Peace Prize. After this mockery, I now believe that the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded on the arbitrary whims of the Nobel Peace Prize committee. In my view, the Nobel Peace Prize is not a reflection of the hard work by some outstanding human beings dedicated to peace. Instead, the Nobel Peace Prize is being awarded on popularity.

Also, I too am appalled that the Nobel Peace Prize committee never deemed Gandhi fit for the Nobel Peace Prize. We have the example of someone who is so deserving, yet who never won it. In contrast, we have someone who just won the Nobel Peace Prize on popularity. Taking the two examples together, it is hard to avoid the conclusion that the Nobel Peace Prize is meaningless.

For me, the Nobel Peace Prize can regain meaning only after significant reforms. Clearly, the current Nobel Peace Prize process is broken. We need transparency in the selection of the Nobel Peace Prize committee. Also, the decision of the committee has to be justified and published for the public to examine. Hopefully, reforms will result in better selection of Nobel Peace Prize candidates. Otherwise, the laughs all over the world will continue.

First black president implies a breaking of social barrier. It is a symbol of progress of race in American society. The white American voters voted for Obama. Obama is the recipient of change in American society. Obama did not cause the changes in American society.

indian_blues

Country flag
aahh, Rajdeep has given a good spin, but I dont think this will lend any credibility to this award. The fact is that Obama has done nothing whatsoever now nor in January(when the nominations for the Nobel Prize closed) to deserve this award. The fact that Mahatma Gandhi has not given a Nobel Prize, speaks volumes about this award. This award seems to be given to help the plummeting popularity of Obama. Especially, after failing to get olympics for Chicago. Nobel Committe is prone to political pressure, but this kind of illogical candidates will take any leftover credibility of the awards. Nobel Peace prize lost all its remaining credibility and respect.
Is life is all about failures? awards are not all for winners. I'm not supporting Obama but what I feel is we need to give some more time for him, after all you can't change the world in 9 months.

Ridiculous, ain't this ?. They didn't give it to MK Gandhi for years of practicing Non-violence, of which by the way I disapproved, but gave it to Obama for 9 month's of Grandiloquent and pompous rhetoric. Shame on the committee !. By the way I am sure to refuse it now whenever they offer it to me as I am against partisan behavior and feel that the prize has lost it's value.

Regards.
Why Mahatma Gandhi need an Nobel prize for his recognition? Nobel doesn't deserve it. Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, Dalai Lama, Therasa and Obama who got inspired from Gandhi probably deserve it. That speaks volumes about Gandhi.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles