Obama Under Fire for 'Superpower' Comments

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
President Barack Obama says America's superpower status is a burden -- a remark that is beginning to draw fire from Republicans.

At the close of the two-day nuclear weapons summit in Washington, D.C., Obama was asked Tuesday how the summit would affect peace efforts in the Middle East.

"It is a vital national security interest of the United States to reduce these conflicts because whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower," he responded.

"When conflicts break out, one way or another, we get pulled into them. And that ends up costing us significantly in terms of both blood and treasure."

The comments received little attention in the mainstream media, but several conservative bloggers blasted the president for putting America's superpower status in negative terms.

On Thursday, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., begged to differ with his opponent from the 2008 presidential campaign.

The remark represents a "direct contradiction to everything America believes in," he told Fox News. "That's one of the more incredible statements I've ever heard a president of the United States make in modern times."

McCain, a Vietnam War veteran and former prisoner of war, also said: "We are the dominant superpower, and we're the greatest force for good in the history of this country, and I thank God every day that we are a dominant superpower."

McCain isn't the only person to take a dim view of Obama lately, as the president's approval rating has dropped below 50 percent in numerous polls.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/barack-obama-superpower-burden/2010/04/15/id/355838

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Hey, Obama, We LIKE Being Super

President Obama leapt into the role of reluctant Superman at the end of this week's two day nuclear summit in Washington. During comments on the final day he stated "...Like it or not, we remain a dominant superpower." Oh, if only I didn't have to wear this damn cape. How much happier I'd be as little Jimmy Olsen.

Seriously. "Like it or not"? Hands up those of you who don't like being a dominant superpower. C'mon, speak up...how many of you secretly wish we weren't so damn dominant? Or super. Those who feel burdened by our status please speak up.

Really, only self-flagellating apologists who feel it's hip to blame the U.S. for the world's ills should struggle with this question. For them, it's embarrassing that America remains a superpower...its unseemly that we somehow retain the ability to reach beyond our borders to influence others. It would just be so much better if we were all equal. How the world would love us if we could just shed this burden of superpoweredness.

What a load of crap. You know what sucks more than being the playground enforcer? Losing your lunch money and getting a nirple on a regular basis. You want to be the king or one of the huddled masses? You want to be champ or play for the Cubs? Sorry, couldn't resist, my wife is a life long Cubs fan. You get my point.

For years we've been telling our kids that everyone gets a trophy...we're all winners. Here's a medal for showing up. Now, we've got our commander in chief implying that we're uncomfortable or unhappy with being on top. No empire stays an empire forever. But frankly I'm not ready to hand in the cape just yet. You think China would feel awkward about taking over? I can just see them, full of angst and regret as they demand our lunch money. How pathetic.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles