Obama to India's president: Thanks but no thanks, I'll meet you there.

CCP

Obama to India’s president: Thanks but no thanks, I’ll meet you there. - The Washington Post

NEW DELHI — What's an inconvenient little tradition when it comes to security measures – and particularly when it comes to the security of President Obama.

When Obama visits India later this month to be the chief guest at the Republic Day parade, New Delhi may just decide to be a little flexible. Officials here say they may do away with the established tradition of the visiting chief guest and India's president traveling in the same car to the parade grounds.

It is the first time that a U.S. president will be a chief guest at India's Republic Day parade.

Obama's security officers appear to have indicated to New Delhi that he will prefer to travel in his own Beast (as Obama's limousine is called) — from Indian President Pranab Mukherjee's palatial residence to the parade grounds, a drive of about five minutes — because of security concerns.

Tradition demands that the visiting dignitary travel with the Indian president to the parade, which includes displays of military prowess and cultural floats.

One Indian official said that a final decision has not been made but that New Delhi is flexible. Another official dismissed it as local media speculation.

An article in the Indian Express newspaper on Monday quoted sources as saying that there are two options: "The two presidents travel in their respective vehicles or both travel in Obama's vehicle that will sport the flags of the two countries."

The Times of India newspaper reported that there will be a "never seen before" security cover at the venue.

The capital may be declared a no-fly zone for much of the day.

After the Jan. 26 ceremony, Obama — whose first visit to India was in 2010 — and Prime Minister Narendra Modi will hold discussions on a range of issues, including defense, education and energy.

But security is not the only major concern for the organizers, the Times of India said Thursday. New Delhi's infamous winter pollution is a cause for worry, too. Obama may just opt to sit inside a glass-enclosed space to watch the parade because of the poor air quality.

However, there has been no official confirmation of any scaling back of Obama's outdoor events because of the pollution.

Some other things are going to be different, too. Officials are working hard to keep stray cows, monkeys and dogs off the streets during Obama's visit.

What does the Indian president's convoy look like when it arrives at the Republic Day parade? Watch this video below (please forgive the soundtrack):

Reactions: Neo

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Last edited by a moderator:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Re: Obama to India's president: Thanks but no thanks, I'll meet you th

@abingdonboy your video became famous :thumb:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

@abingdonboy your video became famous :thumb:
But the music it makes me want to kill myself.

And worst: the song starts again (from the beginning) after 3:30 again after 7:00.

Why do you hate us so much @abingdonboy ? :taunt1:

Ten thousand years in the sixth hell for abingdonboy.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador

I think the beats of the song match with the soldiers parade!!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

I have not gone through what CCP has posted as a link, since it is to my mind is redundant.

He will be the fist Guest of Honour who will receive the President of India at the Republic Day Parade.

Or maybe we will be more magnanimous, in the Indian tradition?

He is not roaming around, not because of pollution, but he scared that Pakistan may hit him for what he did to Pakistan's God, Osama.

abingdonboy

Country flag

An article on Washington Post has used @abingdonboy 's video.

Seriously dude, @abingdonboy, that music, for that video ?
:dude:
:creepy:
:why:
But the music it makes me want to kill myself.

And worst: the song starts again (from the beginning) after 3:30 again after 7:00.

Why do you hate us so much @abingdonboy ? :taunt1:

Ten thousand years in the sixth hell for abingdonboy.
Of course the one vid where I am less than content with the music is the one vid that has to be featured in an article like this

ladder

Country flag

What is tradition?

The tradition actually was that President travelling in an open carriage 'buggey' from Rastrapati Bhawan to Red Fort. That has been changed due to security. Now President sometimes travels in that open cart to attend 'Beating the retreat' ceremony.

So, all these is much ado about nothing. Let President Obama travel separately, what's the big deal? Ultimately he will land at the Red fort for the ceremony.

abingdonboy

Country flag

Somewhat related

Upsc Ias

US asks for a no-fly zone over Rajpath on R-Day, India says no - TOI

NEW DELHI: India has politely turned down a suggestion by Barack Obama's security teams that a 5-km "no-fly zone" be imposed around the majestic Rajpath during the Republic Day parade, which will have the US President as the chief guest for the first time.

"The US team was told that this was simply not possible," said a source. The US security detail was apparently in touch with the directorate general of civil aviation about the no-fly zone but the proposal was shot down by military authorities.

"In any case, only twin-engine military aircraft and helicopters fly during the Republic Day parade. The actual flypast duration over Rajpath is around 10 minutes. Otherwise, throughout the year there is a no-fly zone over Rashtrapati Bhavan, South and North Blocks, the PM's residence and other nearby places," he added.

Sources said 18 fighter jets, five aircraft and 10 helicopters will take part in the flypast this year, flying at heights from 60-metre to 300-metre above the ground. It will include the Navy's first supersonic fighter MiG-29K as well as IAF fighters like Sukhoi-30MKIs and Jaguars, which will take off from different airbases in north India and converge over the Rajpath.

Obama will also get to see specialized military aircraft acquired from his country like the C-130J 'Super Hercules', C-17 Globemaster-III strategic airlift and Poseidon-8I long-range maritime patrol aircraft in deals worth upwards of $7 billion. More repeat orders as well as new ones worth $2.5 billion for Apache attack and Chinook heavy-lift helicopters are also in the pipeline.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles