Nukes protect India from blackmail by other powers, NSA Shivshankar Menon says

sob

Mod
Country flag
I do not believe one single word of what our NSA has to say. First of all we had proved our capabilities in th 70s and even in early 80s it was widely reported and accepted that India had nuclear weapons.

Out of the established nuclear powers, only China can qualify for the statement given by Mr.Menon. Since we still do not have a delivery system to target the US, UK, France ( USSR is out of the context).

And ever since the debacle of 1962, China has had no reason to threaten India with nukes. Our leaders have always been more than willing not to antagonise the Chinese dragon.

Mr.Menon should be questioned on the basis of this statement and be asked to name the countries and the context in which they threatened us. Otherwise he should retract his statement and issue an apology immediately.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I do not believe one single word of what our NSA has to say. First of all we had proved our capabilities in th 70s and even in early 80s it was widely reported and accepted that India had nuclear weapons.

Out of the established nuclear powers, only China can qualify for the statement given by Mr.Menon. Since we still do not have a delivery system to target the US, UK, France ( USSR is out of the context).

And ever since the debacle of 1962, China has had no reason to threaten India with nukes. Our leaders have always been more than willing not to antagonise the Chinese dragon.

Mr.Menon should be questioned on the basis of this statement and be asked to name the countries and the context in which they threatened us. Otherwise he should retract his statement and issue an apology immediately.
The NSA said there was an explicit threat in 71 and it can only be from the US though China too can be one of those who threatened us.
the other implicit threat was Kargil war when missile base was activated by Pak for launch of nukes.
The third again has to be from Pakistan. Either during op Parakram or post 26/11.

As far as the explicit threat of the US/China is concerned, the war was over very quickly for them to even do anything.

As far as the implicit threat is concerned, it worked for the adversary as it successfully deterred India from attacking Pakistan.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod

Sob, the three instances were - 1971 by US, 1987 by Pakistan during brasstacks and in 1990 during kashmir crisis.

sob

Mod
Country flag
The NSA said there was an explicit threat in 71 and it can only be from the US though China too can be one of those who threatened us.
the other implicit threat was Kargil war when missile base was activated by Pak for launch of nukes.
The third again has to be from Pakistan. Either during op Parakram or post 26/11.

As far as the explicit threat of the US/China is concerned, the war was over very quickly for them to even do anything.

As far as the implicit threat is concerned, it worked for the adversary as it successfully deterred India from attacking Pakistan.
Yusuf, the NSA has mentioned prior to 1998, and not 1971. I am sure with the economic condition we were in the US had no reason to warn us of Nuclear Weapons. The CBG of USS Enterprise would have been enough.

Regarding China, there have never been any occasion since 1962 for them to have threatened with Nuclear Strikes. The Government of the day would have just to make it public at that time to have settled the issue.

Pakistan has always been ready with the bogey of nuclear weapons, even now they let loose the nuclear word to get their point across.

The whole sequence of events and other details do not support Mr.Menon's claims. In the interest of the security of the nation he should come out and let the Global community know the details.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
More false than true.

Nukes have actually upset the mil-balance in sub continent in Pak's favor.
No I disagree. The Nukes have made them a target of more nation than they could have ever imagined other than India.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yusuf, the NSA has mentioned prior to 1998, and not 1971. I am sure with the economic condition we were in the US had no reason to warn us of Nuclear Weapons. The CBG of USS Enterprise would have been enough.

Regarding China, there have never been any occasion since 1962 for them to have threatened with Nuclear Strikes. The Government of the day would have just to make it public at that time to have settled the issue.

Pakistan has always been ready with the bogey of nuclear weapons, even now they let loose the nuclear word to get their point across.

The whole sequence of events and other details do not support Mr.Menon's claims. In the interest of the security of the nation he should come out and let the Global community know the details.
Brahma Chellaney probably had more info and has tweeted that the explicit threat came in 1971.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
:facepalm:
STAGE (1) Te superpowers spent 30 years built a huge arsenal first to win a war by finishing the adversary completely. Then the adversary built more.
STAGE (2) Then they realized they need defence shields.
STAGE(3) Then they realizes damn even if one gets through millions will die.
STAGE(4)Then they eateries SALT, START, ABM. They knew there was no way they could afford to loose even one city. Sane actors don't want to lose even a city block let alone a city. Megaton nukes are not required for that.
Pretty nice debate even if yusuf says we've had it before

ive taken his post and divided part of it into 4 stages ---- going by that india has not even completed stage 1
we have some arsenal but by no means huge - in fact pakistan may be ahead of us in this stage

what«'s going on ? - gandhi and all that have gone and their philosophies which were fine for that day are not applicable now, surely ?

as another member has said - ALWAYS PLAYING CATCHUP !

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Pretty nice debate even if yusuf says we've had it before

ive taken his post and divided part of it into 4 stages ---- going by that india has not even completed stage 1
we have some arsenal but by no means huge - in fact pakistan may be ahead of us in this stage

what«'s going on ? - gandhi and all that have gone and their philosophies which were fine for that day are not applicable now, surely ?

as another member has said - ALWAYS PLAYING CATCHUP !
I don't believe india is playing catch in the nuclear field. Just like I don't buy the china has 200 nukes only I don't think india has fewer than 100.

I wrote an article on that.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
If we didn't had nukes we would also be probably ended up now in the league of Syria or Iraq or Iran and US with help of our beloved neighbors will be creating chaos inside our nation.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The only silver lining as I see, is that Mani Shankar Aiyer, who has been sidelined totally by the Congress and trying to find a place in the sun with preposterous claims, has been kicked in the teeth that he richly deserves.

p2prada

Menon's talking with Pakistan in mind.

"Unlike certain other nuclear weapon states, India's weapons were not meant to redress a military imbalance, or to compensate for some perceived inferiority in conventional military terms, or to serve some tactical or operational military need on the battlefield," he added.
Interesting to note that he thinks the conventional power we have over Pak is only "perceived" to be in our favour.

So, Pak is at parity with India in military power, or at least the Army is.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Sob, the three instances were - 1971 by US, 1987 by Pakistan during brasstacks and in 1990 during kashmir crisis.
DD, The US threat in 1971 I was not aware of. However even if they threaten us today, what the hell can we do about it. We cannot retaliate.

Likewise the same goes for Pakistan.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
DD, The US threat in 1971 I was not aware of. However even if they threaten us today, what the hell can we do about it. We cannot retaliate.

US is not a threat and will not threaten again. (we still have targets in Asia to deter US if it comes to that)

Pakistan is a bluff we need to call that I keep harping on.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag

Today's India is not Iran,its true that US can put pressure on us in certain matters but they wouldn't dare to threaten us unless their president is a mentally retarded one coz we still has got balls and some trusted friends plus we can turn the scenario of Afghanistan upside down.Also PRC will not risk their neighborhood to be infected
by USA

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod

It will not be same with US once we get nuclear submarines of our own and SLBMs and SLCMs.

As for Pakistan, its all bluff and bluster. No responsible nuclear state talks the way Pakistan does.

sob

Mod
Country flag
US has got more ways to play with India than to threaten with Nuclear Weapons.

LalTopi

Brahma Chellaney probably had more info and has tweeted that the explicit threat came in 1971.
Is there any other reference to this 'explicit' threat? also did Brahma actually say the threat was 'explicit' rather than implied?

Find at hard to beleive that the US would have risked nuclear war with USSR over Pak/Bangladesh - which of course they did not by backing down.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Is there any other reference to this 'explicit' threat? also did Brahma actually say the threat was 'explicit' rather than implied?

Find at hard to beleive that the US would have risked nuclear war with USSR over Pak/Bangladesh - which of course they did not by backing down.
It was an explicit threat in 71, he tweeted.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles