NSA Data Collection

cannonfodder

Country flag
https://www.stratfor.com/analysis/china-network-security-and-economic-interests-align

Not that easy to spy on China.They are much smarter and proactive in securing their networks. Having their own search engine, censored media and home grown products keep US enterprises away. I once asked one my chinese co-worker what would happen if there is student protest in mainland china and he replied press won't report such a thing happened. :laugh:

In another example of China attempting to push away foreign technology, China banned the installation of the Microsoft Windows 8 operating system on government computers in May 2014. It should be noted that Snowden's documents specified that Microsoft allowed backdoor access to encrypted communication in its Outlook.com service. Beijing would have been aware of this for at least a year before banning Windows 8.

China's need to boost cybersecurity and eventually begin serving its own technology demands will motivate the country to become increasingly active in developing its domestic industries through overseas acquisitions of technology firms and through partnerships. To the ire of foreign firms, partnerships with foreign technology companies will serve China's strategy to "co-innovate" and "re-innovate" — in other words, to imitate or develop technology independent of licensing. Moreover, industrial espionage and intellectual property theft will continue. For many foreign technology companies, the sheer size of China's growing technology demands makes having a stake in the market a necessity. This limits companies' ability to push back against China's ambitions.[\QUOTE]

Nuvneet Kundu

Lynch mob violence?

LYNCH MOB VIOLENCE?!?!?!

Oh wait. Logic does not apply to propaganda.

Poor, stupid me.
And 'Caste Violence' was used by BBC to fraudulently give the impression that one caste is clashing with another, when it was just a demand for reservations.

Anyway, check this racist bitch out :

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Hindus are getting feminized through modern liberal values while Muslims are piling up kids. Scary times ahead.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
And IF, JNU kind of situations arises one after another, then I am afraid that even GoI will have no choice left but to do mass e surveillance.

Country flag
All the large countries on the heat map are under heavy surveillance and many for political reasons and greed can also be bought easily. India is easy for big powers to gather intelligence if they spend the money and bribe right people.

pmaitra

Still doesn't explain why we are surveilled more than PR of China.

They have a kind of AI program that flags interesting people, events, places and so on. Besides they'll use it to target (beg, bribe, threaten, coerce, persuade and so on) people by connecting all their related info; these people could be politicians, media people, religious authorities, corporate leaders, military and intelligence and so on.
They could know in advance of chinks in the armor of not just military but people in power and influence.

I guess this is aim of effective espioinage summarized in one line. :)

Also @pmaitra Maybe I put this thread in the wrong sub folder. Maybe it should be elsewhere like "Internal Security" or "Americas" sub folders? Your call.
I have moved the thread to Americas section.

Now, coming to surveillance, the more the US starts to "listen" to PRC, the more they are exposing themselves to the Chinese. I am not an expert in networking, but I remember one professor once state, that Linux appears to be less vulnerable because it is used less than Windows.

AI depends upon your training data-set. You train your system, and then your system works, delivering excellent or abysmal results. It is not easy to fight noise, and it is easy for the enemy to flood the system with noise, that the system will fail with a probability of more than 50%.

Out of curiosity, did you study Bayesian Systems when you were in school?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I have moved the thread to Americas section.

1. Now, coming to surveillance, the more the US starts to "listen" to PRC, the more they are exposing themselves to the Chinese. I am not an expert in networking, but I remember one professor once state, that Linux appears to be less vulnerable because it is used less than Windows.

2. AI depends upon your training data-set. You train your system, and then your system works, delivering excellent or abysmal results. It is not easy to fight noise, and it is easy for the enemy to flood the system with noise, that the system will fail with a probability of more than 50%.

3. Out of curiosity, did you study Bayesian Systems when you were in school?
3. No, I haven't. Maybe I glanced through it.

1. I don't think that is how the US spy agencies operate, i.e. in a defensive manner, rather they would be offensive.

2. But can't the algorithm be so advanced that it can remove most of the irrevalent noise. And the rest will be done manually. We see news sometimes saying that the CHinese built the most powerful Supercomputer and other blahs, but James Bamford, an author who was granted access to the NSA, once stated that the most powerful computer on the planet was in NSA's possession and it is way more advanced than what is publicly stated even now in 2016.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
And 'Caste Violence' was used by BBC to fraudulently give the impression that one caste is clashing with another, when it was just a demand for reservations.

Anyway, check this racist bitch out :

the blessed caring white saviour helping the downtrodden and helpless <add color here> guy.
:aww:

pmaitra

1. I don't think that is how the US spy agencies operate, i.e. in a defensive manner, rather they would be offensive.

2. But can't the algorithm be so advanced that it can remove most of the irrevalent noise. And the rest will be done manually. We see news sometimes saying that the CHinese built the most powerful Supercomputer and other blahs, but James Bamford, an author who was granted access to the NSA, once stated that the most powerful computer on the planet was in NSA's possession and it is way more advanced than what is publicly stated even now in 2016.
  1. The US spy agencies operate in various manners. As far as NSA goes, they just collect bulk data, and I am not sure how much they analyse.
  2. An algorithm can be as advanced as the training data-set. Manual intervention has no substitute. The most powerful computer has the intelligence equivalent to that of a cockroach. :)
  3. You should look up some lectures on Machine Leaning. They are really interesting.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
  1. The US spy agencies operate in various manners. As far as NSA goes, they just collect bulk data, and I am not sure how much they analyse.
  2. An algorithm can be as advanced as the training data-set. Manual intervention has no substitute. The most powerful computer has the intelligence equivalent to that of a cockroach. :)
  3. You should look up some lectures on Machine Leaning. They are really interesting.
1. Okay.
2. I understand, the training set needs to be good. Most po... computer maynot be as smart as a roach but it can play chess better than any human, because as you say, training set. Similarly don't you think the NSA would have worked on "training sets" that can efficiently sift through and analyse data.
3. Yeah, I should, I've been putting it off for too long. :)

dhananjay1

China has a firm grip on it's communication networks, social media etc. It's difficult for US to penetrate that. Indians on the other hand use US controlled social media sites and use far more English than chinese do. And as most of the English speaking Indians are dhimmis of western ideologies it's easier to manipulate them.

pmaitra

1. Okay.
2. I understand, the training set needs to be good. Most po... computer maynot be as smart as a roach but it can play chess better than any human, because as you say, training set. Similarly don't you think the NSA would have worked on "training sets" that can efficiently sift through and analyse data.
3. Yeah, I should, I've been putting it off for too long. :)
Regarding the underlined portion, it is difficult to speculate. The Boston bombings happened. Well, it happened even after the Russians warned the US, not once, but twice. I really cannot come up with a hypothesis that does not sound like a conspiracy theory while making sense of all this. I guess the human intelligence in charge of NSA has the intelligence equivalent to that of a cockroach. :biggrin2:

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Meh... Everyone is stealing your data. All NSA has to do to get your data is flood the market with a few addictive & 'free' apps and people will willingly give away their info.

There is no way to protect yourself from surveillance as long as you use propriety/closed source software. Hell, even Open Source is not safe anymore, in light of last weeks Linux Mint hack.

Sword

Just admit it, you are mentally retarded

Global Defence

New threads

Articles