Now, Will China Get It?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Editorial

Now, Will China Get It?

Published: November 13, 2010

American economic leadership seems to be on its heels. At the meeting of 20 leading economies in Seoul last week, China resisted Washington's demands to stop manipulating its currency and rallied Germany and Brazil to criticize the Federal Reserve's plan to inject billions into the economy. G-20 leaders also shrugged off an American proposal to set targets to reduce trade surpluses and deficits, calling instead for vague guidelines.

Summit meetings rarely produce breakthroughs. And despite these seeming defeats, the Obama administration may be close to achieving one of its core objectives. Internal economic pressure may finally force Beijing to let the value of its currency rise. That would be good for the United States economy, the global economy and China's economy. The cheap renminbi that helped build China into the world's export powerhouse is now overheating its economy. Despite the bluster in Seoul, some Chinese officials are suggesting the country could better manage these pressures if it let the currency rise.

A cheap renminbi doesn't just increase the price of imported goods for Chinese consumers. To hold down the value of its currency, the central bank must print renminbi to buy all the dollars flowing in. This is fueling inflation and bubbles in housing and stocks.

Trying to cool things down, the central bank raised interest rates last month for the first time since 2007. Last week, it told banks to hold more money in reserve and lend less. A rising renminbi would lower the price of imports and give the central bank more control over its money supply.

China has successfully followed this policy before. From 2005 to 2008, the renminbi rose a fifth against the dollar. This helped contain inflation as commodity prices rose around the world. It increased domestic consumption. The growth of China's trade surplus slowed. And China continued to grow by double digits until the financial crisis slammed the brake on the world economy, leading Beijing to abruptly reverse policy.

Reviving such a policy today would also do the world economy enormous good, taking pressure off countries whose manufacturers are struggling to compete with artificially cheap Chinese exports. It would create space for them to combat their own inflationary pressures by letting their own currencies rise.

Whether China's political leaders — always nervous about anything they can't fully control — get it is not clear. But no amount of bluster, or fearfulness, can paper over the damage caused by the cheap renminbi policy.

Will China Change?
How will China handle this tricky issue?

no smoking

Country flag
Well, probably not. Appreciate the currency quickly does nothing good to China. So, why we do that?
The only policy china will take is what it is doing: appreciate currency slowly.

Country flag
2 US presidents and 2 different treasury secretaries have failed in the currency issue with China, I don't think China has any intentions of becoming more flexible in it's currency policy.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I am one of those hurt by chinese manipulative policies. What I import is much more expensive than the cheap fakes others import from china. Daily thing for me to convince customers why they should buy from me.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
And the best part is the Chinese goods are copies and not up to the standard of the real McCoys!

badguy2000

Respected Member
I am one of those hurt by chinese manipulative policies. What I import is much more expensive than the cheap fakes others import from china. Daily thing for me to convince customers why they should buy from me.
in market economy, costperformance is the King. except Idiots, nobody would pay for low costfperformance goods.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Its not just you bro, its happening everywhere.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
in market economy, costperformance is the King. except Idiots, nobody would pay for low costfperformance goods.
Its not level playing field. The country I import from does not manipulate its currency. Does not subsidies its exports. And also the fakes my competition sells is really horrible quality.

badguy2000

Respected Member
Its not level playing field. The country I import from does not manipulate its currency. Does not subsidies its exports. And also the fakes my competition sells is really horrible quality.
1.Everyyear, CHina export 1.5 trillion USD goods.
no country on the earth can afford the subsidies for 1.5 trillion USD export.

2. does competition can be won by simply pegging currency?

go back home and figure out how many countries on the earlth peg their currency.
then figure out why only CHina can win the race.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Then why the hell doesn't china free up its currency and also stop all other protectionist measures. You are either plain idiot or just don't want to understand anything else apart from what your oppressive govt teaches you.....

badguy2000

Respected Member
Then why the hell doesn't china free up its currency and also stop all other protectionist measures. You are either plain idiot or just don't want to understand anything else apart from what your oppressive govt teaches you.....
Reason is very simple: "Both China and West are sure that CHina will win the race under the current game rules,so west decides to change the game rules while CHina wants to keep them!"

Country flag
1.Everyyear, CHina export 1.5 trillion USD goods.
no country on the earth can afford the subsidies for 1.5 trillion USD export.

2. does competition can be won by simply pegging currency?

go back home and figure out how many countries on the earlth peg their currency.
then figure out why only CHina can win the race.
how will china win any race when they are paid in bonds or an IOU??They are loser when they are sending goods and getting an IOU that USA will decide if and when they want to honor.

badguy2000

Respected Member
how will china win any race when they are paid in bonds or an IOU??They are loser when they are sending goods and getting an IOU that USA will decide if and when they want to honor.
keep on,guy.your kids are going to work for our kids....haha

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

That will be the day!

We are making you sing for your supper and that is why you are working for us and flooding our markets with your cheap goods.

We give you money and you work for us!

Balle, Balle!!

SHASH2K2

Why dream about something that is yet to happen or you dream that its going to happen ? lets discuss about present . What is china ?
China is nothing but a cheap labour source for Western economies. In short you all work for west so its better if you come out of your wet dream and accept the reality . Oops I forgot to mention that you act as labour for your best friend Japan as well as us .

Last edited:

no smoking

Country flag
Why dream about something that is yet to happen or you dream that its going to happen ? lets discuss about present . What is china ?
China is nothing but a cheap labour source for Western economies. In short you all work for west so its better if you come out of your wet dream and accept the reality . Oops I forgot to mention that you act as labour for your best friend Japan as well as us .
Well, every developed country started from producing some cheap products. The most important thing is you must start somewhere and don't stop there.

amoy

To a degree I agree that Chinese are working for many including Indians. China has a trade surplus over India. That's true.

Anyway Indians buy some of China's products though calling them 'cheap craps' in times.

My question, a bit simple or kind of silly,
How can Indians afford imports (no matter from China or elsewhere)? ? of course not with Rupees :happy_2:. Tell me where u get hard currency to pay for them

badguy2000

Respected Member
To a degree I agree that Chinese are working for many including Indians. China has a trade surplus over India. That's true.

Anyway Indians buy some of China's products though calling them 'cheap craps' in times.

How can Indians afford imports (no matter from China or elsewhere)? ? of course not with Rupees :happy_2:. Tell me where u get hard currency to pay for them
a big part is the oversee remittance from oversea Indian workers in gulf areas.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

PC Sorcer!

He is the chap at it!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles