North Korea Says It Has Conducted 'Successful' Hydrogen Bomb Test

The Last Stand

Country flag
offtopic: it is safe to stay in india? i mean india gives me the impression that are incapable to have a strong police and secret services and are unable to stop a assasin for example.......
Just to say something to you mate,

This is the wrong thread.

But if India WERE unsafe, why would you think we have the time to laze around on a forum?

You think we won't have better things to do, like, you know, "trying to be safe".

Also, just because Indira (not expected, yes) and Rajiv (but THIS DUDE BROKE PROTOCOL) were assassinated doesn't mean India's "secret service" is not capable.

I wonder what you think of the US secret service which failed to protect Kennedy! And it is the best in the world? :p

Compersion

Country flag
http://m.timesofindia.com/world/china/North-Korean-H-bomb-a-test-for-China/articleshow/50490154.cms

Did north Korea surprise PRC with its bomb ...

(The ball is rolling ... And our chaps are on top of it ... Liking to read such from our own materials)

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0UL2DE20160108

See what Kerry says ...

What a joke the PRC played it and made USA admit such and make them look like idiots ... Trusting their approach ... More like knew to even did not know what would happen ?? Not business like usual !! What saying ... Business was unusual before and now and what about later . why not be a smart post facto and say USA knew this would happen and wanted to trap PRC belligerence ... History writing after the event. Who is reading ... Many versions.

I am saying it again India needs to test and it will in fact help these unusual policy making in east Asia where no one knows what to do except the alcoholic binge drinking PRC and north Koreans and pakis (who sip cheekily) who are laughing all way to town.

Please don't tell to Kerry what he is saying is it is okay to take USA for a ride and even with straight face (laughing now) !!

I would love to be in the room when India announce to USA we will test again . And this time it won't be like last time.

Along with the above article in the TOI newspaper there was a small section where it said the "academics" in The PRC saying that North Korea tested and cannot be control now because of India tests in 98 and how it is to blame. (Link added later)

http://m.timesofindia.com/world/chi...lame-for-test-Expert/articleshow/50490200.cms

I am sure that we can talk about all this AFTER India tests again.

We need to play with the big boys now ... The pakis and prc need to see who they really dealing with.

The UNSC that is going to act on this is going to be one of the most important in recent times. And india better have sent the signal already to the chaps be ready for the test and make preparations already ...

The Buddha never slept ... Enlightenment awaits.

Last edited:

Compersion

Country flag
I don't want to hog the thread but really feel we ought to be focusing on this versus the paki military strike on our air force base and also to see and read jokers like NSA of paki talking to NSA of India and even Delhi cricket requesting NSA of india time ... Our NSA ought to be in the talks and discussion on this north Korea test . we ought to be rattling the cage and rightly.

NSA of india needs to tell the world the circle is fitting into the hole perfectly this time for India. Our boys ought to be out making the preparations.

I also want to touch on Russia and feel they are having the chance to redeem against PRC. I read on Ukraine and border clashes and all way to Nixon and PRC copy and paste. North Korea is not Russia proxy and authority and PRC enjoys. The relations between Russia and PRC needs to be tapped into by India in this. I am not saying anything negative on india Russia relations but really obvious how PRC treating Russia ...

The same goes with USA and Japan and south Korea .

All being taken for a ride. And surprisingly a india nuclear test is a fine takeaway for all that need to !! This time I feel there will be either a green if not yellow light from our partners like France , Russia and even Israel. Even others like USA and uk special partners. Even pakis can be told this is our response.

North Korea Kim said he loved the noise. The noise of a india nuclear test please.

Victor3

Just to say something to you mate,

This is the wrong thread.

But if India WERE unsafe, why would you think we have the time to laze around on a forum?

You think we won't have better things to do, like, you know, "trying to be safe".

Also, just because Indira (not expected, yes) and Rajiv (but THIS DUDE BROKE PROTOCOL) were assassinated doesn't mean India's "secret service" is not capable.

I wonder what you think of the US secret service which failed to protect Kennedy! And it is the best in the world? :p
well surely noone can protect you 100% for sure... but at least you expect that the security in country to be at a certain level compared to other countries....and use those special tools like in the USA movies ....
i ask this because i intend one day to make a trip to india

warrior monk

Information on North Korea’s nuclear test on 6 January 2016

The seismological observatory NORSAR at Kjeller recorded today, 6 January 2016, at 01:40:48 UTC, seismic signals from the announced underground nuclear test in North Korea. This is the fourth in a sequence of tests carried out by North Korea since 2006.

Date: 2016/01/06 01:30:00 UTC
Place: North Korea (41.28°N 129.07°E)
Magnitude: 4.9
Depth: 0 km

The figure below shows seismic signals from each of the four North Korean nuclear tests recorded in Hedmark, Norway, plotted to the same scale. The magnitudes (mb) are based on NORSAR’s recordings and the explosive yield estimates are given in kiloton equivalent of TNT.

The event is estimated by NORSAR to have a magnitude of 4.9. In comparison, the previous North Korean nuclear test which took place on February 12, 2013, had a magnitude of 5.0. The first North Korean nuclear test on October 9, 2006, had a magnitude of 4.2.The location is estimated to be 41.28N 129.07E which is in the region where the previous nuclear tests have taken place. This is a distance of approximately 7360 km from NORSAR’s seismic station in Hedmark. Given that the seismic waves take approximately 11 minutes to propagate from North Korea to Norway, the measurements indicate that the event took place at 01:30 UTC.

From the size of the event, indicated by the seismic signals, we can say that this was a nuclear event. It is not possible to tell what kind of nuclear device this was from the seismic signals alone. Future observations of possible radioactive leakage may be able to address this question.

NORSAR’s accurate location for the latest underground nuclear test by North Korea.

NORSAR has been able to calculate an accurate location for this event.

- Data obtained from the international network of seismic stations pinpoints the location of the explosion. The explosion was carried out in the same mountain structure as the previous two tests, but a few hundred meters further into the mountain, reports CEO Anne Lycke.

- This explosion resembled the previous North Korean nuclear tests both in size and characteristics, adds Lycke.

From the size of the event, indicated by the seismic data, this was clearly a nuclear explosion. From such observations, it is not possible to confirm anything about the type of nuclear device used. Subsequent possible releases of radioactivity into the atmosphere may help to answer this question.

The new information indicates:
  • The explosion has taken place further into the mountain than the previous tests.
  • There is likely to be a greater overburden than previously.
  • There may therefore be a lower likelihood of leakage of radioactivity.
  • Without radioactive leakage, it will be more difficult to determine the kind of weapon that has been tested.
  • There is nevertheless the possibility that radioactive noble gasses can leak from the site of the explosion.
- It can take some time, maybe up to 60 days, before the gasses from such a leakage would reach radionuclide stations in the vicinity. The nearest stations are in South Korea, Japan, China and eastern Russia.

NORSAR estimates the explosive yield to be approximately 10 kiloton equivalent of TNT. This is a comparable size to the bombs that were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945.

About NORSAR
NORSAR is responsible for the operation of some of the world’s largest seismic monitoring deployments and has more than 45 years of experience in research and development for monitoring of nuclear tests, advanced seismological data processing, and analysis of data from seismic instruments.

NORSAR is the designated National Data Center (NDC) for Norway for verifying compliance with the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty and operates seismic stations located in Hedmark and Finnmark on mainland Norway, Adventdalen on Svalbard and on the island of Jan Mayen, in addition to a radionuclide station at Platåberget on Svalbard and an infrasound station near Bardufoss. The global network consists of 321 stations in 89 countries which ensures that no nuclear tests could be carried out undetected.

http://www.norsar.no/norsar/about-us/News/North-Korea-nuclear-test-on-6-January-2016

The Mb waves suggests that yield of about 12 to 13 kt assuming fired on dry rocks but it is distance and depth dependent so it might vary , which suggests a successful primary but might not have overcome the coulomb barrier so failed secondary probably now it depends upon post shot radioactivity observation . To confirm if staged or not.

Compersion

Country flag
well surely noone can protect you 100% for sure... but at least you expect that the security in country to be at a certain level compared to other countries....and use those special tools like in the USA movies ....
are you going to be on a special mission when you come to india ... and want to know what you will face ... is that why you ask ?? are you watching movies too much and not the reality. perhaps you are trying to say something else but dont have the guts. perhaps the truth is hard to deal with. is pride and anger clouding judgement. see beyond.

Victor3

well ....its important to me to know what i will face....personally i just want to help when i get there ....i am not 100% sure on what i;m dealing with .... but close... see as a smart person i think i can be a helper but that doesnt matter much if is too risky to come there...main think is that i want to help in secure conditions ....throught my life i have made some enemyes for me so i wanna stay secure....if that means to stay here where i am ...well that gonna count much in my decision.... despite the anger that i may have ...feelings say always what they are meant to say.... and if they request at least to know if i like india then i trully want to know it..... personally i try to see beyond what i was conditioned to see by some people around me ....nothing is imperative so i try to search for stable feellings about everything.... but at the base i surely have some opinions just that now probally are twisted by the things i am into ..... for me for sure is a basic formula of succes in life and i try to follow it ....some say i dont understand well others .....but the fact is it doesnt matter so much what others do .... i am what i am for some reasons and thats the chemistry of my body that act in every situation like is supposed to do ...

Compersion

Country flag
When someone worships a god or goddess(s)/he expects the worshipped god or goddess would provide.

In this world we work through fear of others, we talk through fear, we think through fear, alas!. . . We are afraid — that is a fact.Not everyone can utter— And fear? I am the Fear of fear, the Terror of terror, I am the fearless secondless One, I am the Rule of destiny, the Wiper-out of fact.

While I live , I hope. In god I trust. Jai Hind

Last edited:

The Last Stand

Country flag
Well, what better way than to make the trip before deciding how good the security is?

We don't have a record of allowing "good terrorists" to butcher tourists like our western neighbour.

Compersion

Country flag

I have heard a smart man say he has a sharp mind. No doubt and evident. Love it - righteousness and righteous thinking waiting for the enlightenment.

Victor3

my opinion is that NK is nothing compared with USA and others. think about that USA is ready to make the antimatter rocket. how the two can be compared? it's purely silly.
for making such a rocket probably must find a way to trap a antiproton after it's released by a beta decay and the smash it with a particle. maybe if we have a antiproton detector we may shoot with a particle accelerator to the antiparticle. and that may be done i dont know how.... since the antiparticles are invisible to everything like the particles are. maybe discovering the average angle of scattering of a antiparticle. we may have a row of bars where particles from decay are travel in line so then the angle of antiparticle may be discovered. then some particle accelerators may shoot direct at them. or we may could make a beta decay in totally separated 1000 chambers and shoot with a particle accelerator in circle to hope hit a antiparticle. so we may have a antimatter rocket propulsion. the device would be destroyed at explosed so that no second third explosion take place. and this would mean collision only of few atoms of antiparticle with particle thus achieving reasonable speed but not close to speed of light.

Nuvneet Kundu

NKorea/Pakistan’s thermonuclear test details

The International Monitoring System based at Petropavlovsk, Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia (comprising 5 primary and 13 auxiliary seismic stations, 4 infrasound stations, 8 radionuclide stations, 1 radionuclide laboratory), downwind from the North Korean Hanggyong mountain test site, has detected tritium. It confirms that the test Pyongyang was preparing for, and which the North Korean supremo Kim Jong Eun today confirmed, was of a hydrogen device, as warned in my blog on the subject three days ago. The seismic reading of 5.1 on the Richter Scale, in that rock hard substratum, translates to yield in the 50-100 kiloton range.

What experts believe is that given the relatively small yield for a fusion design but an apparently nearly flawless performance of the critical radiation channel that directs the fission energy from an atomic explosion into the tritium fuel package (that is the two stage system) in order to set off a full thermonuclear burn, the very good possibility is that the Pakistani designers have achieved something even more challenging — a successful tailored yield device and that too in miniaturized form!

This is a remarkable technical achievement even with Chinese weapons experts assisting and helping in configuring the design and vetting it before final engineering, for Pakistan to get right at the first shot — something India failed to do, whatever R. Chidambaram may say by way of obfuscatory explanations about the S-1 test in May, 1998.

But this is not the end. There is a certain method here. The 2013 test carried out in North Korea was of an FBF (fusion-assisted fission) device. The present one was “the lower-bound test of a dial-a yield TN weapon.” Far from being the terminus, there’s likely to be still another test in the series which will be full-fledged thermonuclear, and this new test could be conducted as early as July (or thereabouts) 2016 — i.e., just some six-odd months from now.

The strategic implications of Pakistan going fully thermonuclear with tested and proven weapons, courtesy the North Koreans and their making their test site available to the Pak Army’s SPD (Strategic Plans Division)-run nuclear weapons programme and hence providing Islamabad with plausible deniability — a brilliant working of the ‘rogue triad’ of China, Pakistan and North Korea, are too daunting to consider. For starters, it nullifies the official Indian doctrine’s misplaced reliance on “massive retaliation” as credible deterrence.
When an adversary confronts you with a proven and tested high yield weapon and you have only a notional fusion weapon that may or may not work — thanks to the lack of open-ended testing owing to the test moratorium persisted with by now four successive govts (including, so far the Modi regime) since the Shakti series of tests 17 years ago, then we have a problem.

The crucial difference is an incomprehensibly contented India habituated to thinking and acting small and minimal, sat still, thinking it had accomplished every thing, and is now where it was in May 1998 in terms of a noncredible thermonuclear arsenal. On the other hand, an unsatisfied Pakistan, displaying the sort of strategic verve and imagination absent in GOI, sought out other means of getting the weapons inventory it desired, and found a way out from under the US sanctions overhang in cahoots with its willing partners — China and North Korea.

Delhi sought Washington’s suffocating embrace and now finds itself inferior strategic weapons-wise to a rump state carved out of India some 70 years ago but one with a far stronger will, a formidable sense of its national self, and an infinitely greater flair for playing the international power game.

Guess where that leaves India?

Original at : http://bharatkarnad.com/2016/01/06/nkoreapakistans-thermonuclear-test-details/

Compersion

Country flag
We still have had no major update on the UNSC resolution for North Korea. The word on the street is that do not be too aggresive on North Korea because they are crazy and berserk.

Remember this is a North Korea that has tested over 10 years and also in regular intervals which shows it is not simple and must have advanced preparations. Just because PRC was apparently not informed and told USA that they think North Korea acted on its own does not signify NO ACTION. Kerry and the americans doing tango with PRC is making them look silly because clearly PRC had this planned earlier by their positions being dictated now. some will say american dont care and want to deal with prc because the latter will fail anyway. but that is not good for precedent because others will see what north korea is doing. and this is why USA and others might look at what India had done and can do ...

Now for all of the PRC good intentions we can remind the history:

PRC good intentions:

When India did the nuclear tests on 11 May - 13 May 1998 on 6 June 1998 that is 24 days (how many days since the last North Korea test) the UNSC had 15 voted for None voted against None abstained on the UNSC Resolution 1172.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Security_Council_Resolution_1172

That was unanimously done. And what has been said is that the UNSC resolution was made more stringent because of PRC. The PRC was at the forefront of making the sanctions.

People will also see there is another area by name of Pakistan in the UNSC resolution 1172. The sanctions clearly had a far major disturbence and impact to Pakistan compared to India. People will also understand that people called and labelled Pakistan far much worse compared to North Korea today. Crazy and berserk are tame words. People will also see how Pakistan got its Nuclear weapons. Pakistan will also be watching to see how far differently North Korea is being treated by PRC compared to how it suffered tremendously. Unless if Pakistan is part and parcel in this with PRC and North Korea.

Now when the stakeholders are making announcements and acting and trying to be serious and saying that action needs to be taken on North Korea but nothing that will destablise ...

It is funny that such words and actions were not at all thought and done for India and also Pakistan. Perhaps it is because India was on the UNSC resoltuion 1172 that made it fine because there was a sane and sensible party.

Perhaps that is what the world is saying that it would fine to sanction and progress that with North Korea if there is a sane and sensible party along with it.

When the stars are alligned for the next India nuclear test. Do we sit and think. Do we make action. Because not only will India have to face sanctions but it will allow the North Korea to do likewise.

We can do this for the world and world peace and development surely !!

A upcoming UNSC resolution for Nuclear Testing with North Korea and India to be party. We ought to have told the world clearly that if UNSC resolution is not done on North Korea by certain time period it will determine and acquiesce that India can do more enlightenment by way of the Buddah. We ought to have already said that if North Korea had and does test we would test. 10 years of testing by way of a PRC proxy province and looking at UNSC resolution 1172 what a joking nonsense.

Last edited:

Compersion

Country flag
One of reasons why Pakistan was and still is labelled far much worse compared to North Korea even today ...

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...north-korean-nuclear-test-116010801069_1.html

Foreign Office (FO) said in a statement that Pakistan has noted, with deep concern, the reports about the nuclear test.

"We have consistently supported a nuclear weapons free Korean Peninsula as agreed by all parties," it said.

The Foreign Office said Pakistan strongly believes that all countries should comply with their respective international obligations.

"We oppose any action which is detrimental to peace and stability in the region and militates against the prospects of reaching a solution to the issue in the framework of the Six Party Talks," it said.

Does Pakistan forget how much it suffered because of UNSC 1172. Where was PRC support and protection like North Korea is having now - is that determination North Korea is better to Pakistan and in importance to PRC. Why people talk about Pakistan nuclear proliferation with AQ Khan and give North Korea only mild labels. Pakistan was made to eat grass and much worse destabilization and with it being the first and only Islamic Nuclear testing area.

http://indianexpress.com/article/wo...lear-test-a-cancer-that-spread-from-pakistan/

I am sure India is making this known in the right ears to Pakistan ... and the voice of the PRC dissatisfaction in Pakistan is not too silent ...

I am sure that if India tests the unlikely positive support will come from Pakistan !!

Now if someone has evidence that Pakistan is in collaboration and in tune with PRC and North Korea for this North Korea Test. Please dont make it more obvious what India needs to do.

Also USA is not being made to look good in this. The PRC is clearly making and playing them better and with determination that they will get away with it. It is a generalization within PRC will get away with things when USA tries to corner them. It is like USA is not able to make PRC have the right approach and execution and only look at headlines and pictures. Wish it is not like this ... the North Korea is clearly a PRC province and client state:

USA is made to not look good by PRC.

Another reason why the USA might call up Modi and say and approve "when will the Buddha be smiling"

And we know how Russia is when they are told they are worse and are only surviving because of PRC in and from a shiny building in Shanghai.

Last edited:

Compersion

Country flag
And one more for the Pakis to see how superior the North Korean are compared to them and make the Pakis look like dogs and worse (even PRC implies this). Not forget how much worse the Pakis were made to be after 1998. The North Korea was even able to get 6 party talks and some label of common sense and even blame of their nuclear programme on AQ Khan and Pakis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chagai-I

Chagai-I is the code name of five simultaneous underground nuclear tests conducted by Pakistan at 15:15 hrs PST on 28 May 1998.

United Nations Security Council resolution 1172, adopted unanimously on 6 June 1998, after hearing of nuclear tests conducted by India and Pakistan in May 1998.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Security_Council_Resolution_1172

That was 9 days.

How many days since the North Korea nuclear test on 6 January 2016. Is someone too busy ?? Has someone been told what India will do.

Would love to hear what Pakis really think about the North Korea nuclear test (PRC test). And not their Foreign Office spokesperson who is not talking like the same tune to PRC.

India needs to have the nuclear test and it does not make shame that we take advantage of the situation and if it is making us be better and look better. I might add it will make the global and world peace better. Because there is a clear stalemate and clulessness on what to do with North Korea. We must not forget that there is South Korea, Japan and Taiwan also in the mix. There is all the South East Asia nations in the mix. There is USA and Russia in the mix. And India testing will allow for many positive take aways for the many stakeholders at play. And will one be able to say that Pakistan might also surprise with its support. Because clearly Nuclear policy of India has PRC concentric parameters.

Last edited:

no smoking

Country flag
India needs to have the nuclear test and it does not make shame that we take advantage of the situation and if it is making us be better and look better. I might add it will make the global and world peace better. Because there is a clear stalemate and clulessness on what to do with North Korea. We must not forget that there is South Korea, Japan and Taiwan also in the mix. There is all the South East Asia nations in the mix. There is USA and Russia in the mix. And India testing will allow for many positive take aways for the many stakeholders at play. And will one be able to say that Pakistan might also surprise with its support. Because clearly Nuclear policy of India has PRC concentric parameters.
Firstly, no one thinks that Chinese is supporting north Korean on this test;
Secondly, no one thinks this test is a success;
Thirdly, no one need India's support to handle issue of north Korean.

So far, no one has asked India's opinion in North Korean test, let alone another India's test.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Indian civilization has survived far worse periods of history than the current.

China may be planning something ominous but let us not worry ourselves to death.

The government is quite realistic and the government will take actions which are in the best interest of the country.

The first and foremost priority is economy. There will be no nuclear tests in near future.

The priority for military are modernisation programs in conventional arms.

garg_bharat

Country flag
I think India is not going to test. This may sound risky to a rational mind, but india has to worry about many things. Focussing on just one issue does not make a strong india.

As I said before, the focus is on modernizationation of arms. This is the most critical need.

Fighting a nuclear war is not on the agenda. Period.

The matter of how many weapons india has vs Pakistan and China is practically a highly theoretical discussion and will yield nothing tangible.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
India should perform a test only when they develop a proper fusion / hydrogen bomb. They should not risk a fission device test right now.

Compersion

Country flag
Firstly, no one thinks that Chinese is supporting north Korean on this test;
Secondly, no one thinks this test is a success;
Thirdly, no one need India's support to handle issue of north Korean.

So far, no one has asked India's opinion in North Korean test, let alone another India's test.
Thanks for reply. Why dont you please tell what they do think about North Korea test !! And who is "No One" ... Also this "no success" theme that is building up is silly because it implies and gives thought to allow them to test again ... because for over 10 years at regular intervals the PRC has not be able to do anything (what a shame). It also is a amateur reaction to do with audience control and stopping down to the level of the tester and not with much thought and i am glad i am not seeing it again after the initial reactions.

Finally if India is not on 6 party talks do you really think no one thinks the test had impact on India. Do i need to ask what Taiwan thinks about this. What about Philippines and even Vietnam. What about Russia. Also you seem to ignore the Pakistani think on this and how cruel PRC is to have not supported them in UNSC 1172 but making the world known how crazy and berserk North Korea is and not to do anything too forceful because they would fear doing something silly. How cute. Pakis really like to be double crosses by PRC it seems now. Why would it be crazy if Pakis suddenly starting asking PRC what is going on what are they getting out from CPEC. Perhaps PRC will share nuke test results with Pakis !! what a joke. You see the picture i attached above i think and feel the USA is being made out to be that only by PRC - its too predictable and only for show and picture - the PRC is playing the USA for fools - and that is really insulting.

You take it with much liberty to say No One thinks PRC is supporting North Korea on this test. The peasants of PRC will like to believe that because North Korea like Pakistan in the eyes of Chinese (PRC and others) is seen to be garbage. But Please be honest and sincere it wont harm you. The post facto response is evident enough. Look at the sudden reaction of the UNSC and where is the draft by the way - sitting on PRC lap only? is it lap ? Also everyone seems to think that India will be impacted economically by testing again. Please look out the window and see what would be the case if the North Korea test was done by PRC and also please look out and see the wonderful economic environment that is out there (not). See also the world global benefit that a india test would do because the response to North Korea test is being muddles and confused. North Korea also needs some normal and sane party to be there by its side when you know "sanctions are done". You seem to say no one needs India support on this - i am giving the best and most suitable way out of this for the world and region. People also need to start looking at national interest and it would be a good call and boldness and correct.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles