North Korea (DPRK)- News and Discussions

Pintu

NKoreans are getting ahead with their plans.

According to The New York Times the North Korea is ahead with the final preparations. The link and the report are following:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/04/world/asia/04korea.html?hp

North Korea Rocket Launch on Track

* Sign In to E-Mail
* Print
* Reprints
* ShareClose
o Linkedin
o Digg
o Facebook
o Mixx
o My Space
o Yahoo! Buzz
o Permalink
o

Article Tools Sponsored By
By CHOE SANG-HUN
Published: April 3, 2009

SEOUL — Determined to demonstrate its latest missile technology both to its adversaries and perhaps to potential buyers in the Middle East, North Korea pressed ahead with final preparations on Friday to launch a multistage rocket.

The countdown could begin as early as Saturday morning, and North Korea says its rocket will blast off sometime between then and Wednesday. It warned aircraft to stay clear of its easterly trajectory over northern Japan, toward the Pacific.

Weather forecasts say it will be cloudy with no strong winds over the Musudan-ri launching site on North Korea’s coast, meaning the North could launch the rocket anytime during the period.

“I think it’s almost certain North Korea will fire the missile,” President Lee Myung-bak of South Korea said Friday in London, where he had attended the Group of 20 summit, Reuters reported. Mr. Lee vowed a “strong and stern response.”

North Korea says it is launching an experimental communications satellite. But Washington and its allies see the test as a provocative demonstration of ballistic missile technology and an attempt to secure a place on President Obama’s crowded foreign policy agenda.

Neighboring governments were on heightened alert on Friday, and had navy ships with missile-tracking radar deployed in waters near North Korea. For its part, the North reportedly moved jet fighters closer to the launching site and threatened counter-attack if any government tried to stop it.

“It’s too early to say for sure whether the object the North is launching is a satellite or a missile,” said Lee Jong-joo, a government spokeswoman in Seoul. “But our principled position is that whether this is a missile or something else, it threatens peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula.”

Unable to persuade the North to cancel its plan, Washington, Tokyo and Seoul focused on how to forge a unified front with China and Russia in penalizing the North, while also drawing it back to six-nation talks on ending its nuclear weapons program.

North Korea is banned from ballistic missile tests under two United Nations Security Council resolutions, which were adopted in 2006 after it launched a ballistic missile and conducted its first nuclear test.

But if North Korea puts a satellite into orbit — as it claims, and as a growing number of analysts believe it will try to do — then any attempt to introduce new sanctions in the Security Council will be hobbled by disputes over whether the North violated the 2006 resolutions, analysts said.

In Strasbourg, France, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said the launching would be a violation of Security Council resolutions, and said “preparations” were being made if it went ahead, Reuters reported. He did not provide details in comments to reporters during a trip to Europe by Mr. Obama.

Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso told China’s president, Hu Jintao, during the Group of 20 summit in London that if the launching went ahead, there should be a new United Nations resolution, the Yomiuri newspaper reported. Mr. Hu showed “some understanding” but did not made a clear commitment, it said.

For the North Korean leader, Kim Jong-il, who suffered a stroke in August, a successful launch would demonstrate his country’s mastery of key missile technologies.

Mr. Kim is also using the tensions he has stirred up to rally his hungry people amid dwindling foreign aid, and to demonstrate to the outside world that he is still in charge, analysts said. In a sales pitch for his missiles, Mr. Kim may also have invited arms dealers from the Middle East to the launch site, they said.

“Evidence suggests that North Korea has had extensive dealings with Iran, Pakistan, Russia, Yemen and Libya on ballistic missiles and possibly even nuclear warheads,” said a recent report from the Congressional Research Service in Washington.

Experts believe that the rocket North Korea is about to launch is derived from its Taepodong-2 missile, which the North began developing in the 1990s. But they are not sure about its potential or the North’s ability to arm missiles with nuclear warheads.

The Congressional Research Service report said some analysts believe that the Taepodong-2 missile could deliver a 700 to 1,000 kilogram payload as far as 6,700 kilometers, within range of the Alaskan coast, as well as all American military targets in Japan and Guam.

The North Korean rocket would weigh about 80 tons and could place a payload of 100 kilograms into orbit at 400 kilometers, David Wright, co-director of the Union of Concerned Scientists’ Global Security Program, recently wrote, citing some inconclusive assumptions. When used as a missile, the same rocket could carry a 500-kilogram payload about 9,000 kilometers, far enough to reach San Francisco.

But “since it likely would be difficult for North Korea to build a first-generation warhead and heat shield with a mass of 500 kilograms, this wouldn’t represent a true intercontinental nuclear capability,” he said.

The North’s first test of the Taepodong-2 missile failed in 2006 when it blew apart 40 seconds after launch.

rock45

Founding Member/ RIP our friend
NK

Hi Guy
Japan has a very modern and well trained defense force much larger then some countries. They can defense themselves very well against North Korea and up to a point take the fight to them using air power. North Korea has these rockets and/or missiles basically nothing else. There army, navy, and air force is no direct threat to Japan, not by a long shot. I think most of Japan is 400, 500, and 600+ miles or more away from North Korea so there old Mig-23/29 are basically useless.

North Korea would suffer very badly if some sort of a nuke, gas, etc was fired at Japan.

I look at China as North Korea's big brother looking over their shoulder not for and not against, but looking. China can't appear to be on the Americans or Japan's side but they can't get drag down by North Korea's crazy Kim II or what ever his name or number is. China has big business with Japan, US, and others in the region supporting NK is risky. North Korea and China share a deep rooted hatred toward Japan, South Korea as well so its tricky.

Not that I support this launch which I don't but are they sure it's a missile?

Thanks

Pintu

satellite program is good in Japan but what good is it if you watch something happening and have no response, but I have a feeling US navy is there and plan of action must be prepared.

This is more pathetic, I have installed a camera in my front door, and watching helplessly buglers are getting in and am expecting help of my patron instead of facing them myself.

Country flag
Rock the real fear is that the Rocket modified into a longer range missile that could possibly target US west coast, many early ICBM have their origins as modified especially during the 1950's-60's same threat perception with Iran when they launched their satellite.

Country flag
This is more pathetic, I have installed a camera in my front door, and watching helplessly buglers are getting in and am expecting help of my patron instead of facing them myself.
History has shown that when one country in the neighborhood goes nuclear many more will soon follow.Russia-China-India-Pakistan-N.korea-iran now what will Japan do with all these nuclear neighbors?

Pintu

Hi Guy
Japan has a very modern and well trained defense force much larger then some countries. They can defense themselves very well against North Korea and up to a point take the fight to them using air power. North Korea has these rockets and/or missiles basically nothing else. There army, navy, and air force is no direct threat to Japan, not by a long shot. I think most of Japan is 400, 500, and 600+ miles or more away from North Korea so there old Mig-23/29 are basically useless.

North Korea would suffer very badly if some sort of a nuke, gas, etc was fired at Japan.

I look at China as North Korea's big brother looking over their shoulder not for and not against, but looking. China can't appear to be on the Americans or Japan's side but they can't get drag down by North Korea's crazy Kim II or what ever his name or number is. China has big business with Japan, US, and others in the region supporting NK is risky. North Korea and China share a deep rooted hatred toward Japan, South Korea as well so its tricky.

Not that I support this launch which I don't but are they sure it's a missile?

Thanks
Thanks for posting Rock 45, I am not here talking Japan's Military Capabilities vis-a-vis NKorea, but pointing out to the helplessness and nervousness shown by Japan.

Yes , China enjoys good business tie with Japan, but I think they will not come forward to help diplomatically Japan either. It is evident from that SCO did not take any effective step to persuade Pyongyang to cancel the test the Missile or launch the rocket, may what ever it be.

As for the launch concern only a clear picture can come after launch itself. Before that only Almighty God and Pyongyang know, what is being launched.

Regards,

Pintu

Pintu

History has shown that when one country in the neighborhood goes nuclear many more will soon follow.Russia-China-India-Pakistan-N.korea-iran now what will Japan do with all these nuclear neighbors?

Follow the suit and changing the constitution or else, depending upon the USA for support.

rock45

Pintu
I am not here talking Japan's Military Capabilities vis-a-vis NKorea, but pointing out to the helplessness and nervousness shown by Japan.
Got it and agree be bolder and just shoot it down.

LETHALFORCE
Its a bad thing and worse when the people controlling them aren't up to it.

LETHALFORCE
Rock the real fear is that the Rocket modified into a longer range missile that could possibly target US west coast,
Totally get it now.

Bad situation overall

Country flag
They have 3 nuclear neighbors and 2 are direct enemies and keeping a pacifist constitution just dosen't suit them at this point in time, every country can have a pacifist constitution but you have to give it up when new threats arise, and as far as USA goes it could be a sign for the neighbors that if anything happens to Japan they will always be involved that alone can act as a temporary missile shield,i guess Japan is comfortable with it not many countries would be.

Pintu

Very bad situation rock 45, for not only Korean Peninsula but Asia.

Pintu

Agree with you LF , one have to change him to suit him with the changing new environment, this is called as 'Adaption' but failing to do this will make him extinct.

Pintu

worse when the people controlling them aren't up to it.
All except Russia and India.

China is a professional proliferator, Pakistan has no control on Army therefore remains unable to control stockpile, and shamelessly biggest proliferator by allowing its 'scientist' to run N-racket, can n't say about Iran since now it has not tested N-device, though there is a chance that N-Technology may fall to the hand of Supreme Power of that country since it is an Authoratorian state and may passover to others, North-Korea earns living on proliferation.

Pintu

According to the Reuters , the USA is open to talks with North Korea .

The link and the report from the Reuter are as follows:

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN03336594

US says open to bilateral talks with North Korea
Fri Apr 3, 2009 11:56am EDT

Email | Print |
| Reprints | Single Page
[-] Text [+]
(Repeats with no change in text)

(Updates with quotes, Pentagon comment)

WASHINGTON, April 3 (Reuters) - The United States is open to bilateral contacts with North Korea and urges the communist state to refrain from launching a missile and return to six-nation nuclear negotiations, the U.S. envoy to the talks, Stephen Bosworth, said on Friday.

"Six-party talks, we believe, must be at the center ... of our efforts," Bosworth said and urged North Korea to halt its announced plan to launch a long-range rocket in coming days.

"That will not change. We will continue to have bilateral contact (with the North Koreans) and we are prepared to open that channel at any point," he said in remarks at the Foreign Press Center in Washington.

Earlier in Strasbourg, France, U.S. President Barack Obama said the international community would take steps if North Korea went ahead with the launch to show Pyongyang it could not act with impunity.

North Korea has said it will send a satellite into space between Saturday and Wednesday, and insists it has the right to do so as a part of a peaceful space program.

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak said it was now almost certain the North would fire the missile despite global protests, and if weather allowed the launch could take place as early as Saturday.

South Korea and Japan say the launch is a disguised test of the long-range Taepodong-2 missile, which is designed to carry a warhead capable of reaching U.S. territory but which blew apart about 40 seconds after launch during its only test flight in July 2006.

Bosworth said the United States would be "working very closely with our partners to ensure that after the dust from the missiles has settled a bit (that) we get back to the longer term priority ... of the six-party (talks)."

The United States along with China, Japan, Russia and South Korea, has been trying for years to persuade the impoverished North to give up its efforts to build a nuclear arsenal in return for massive aid.

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates discussed North Korea's impending launch late on Wednesday (Washington time) with the ministers of defense for South Korea and Japan, the Pentagon said.

"The secretary confirmed the importance of continuing to maintain close coordination and cooperation on this issue as well as handling the situation with the DPRK in a calm manner as it further develops," Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said. (Reporting by Arshad Mohammed, writing by Paul Eckert, editing by Vicki Allen)

ahmedsid

Top Gun
N Korea is bluffing I believe, they will try to get more Oil and concessions if the Missile if Shot down! Its just blackmail I believe. Their War Machinery is obsolete and even though its huge, they are not much of an use against "Shock & Awe". A War might be a good way for the US to get out of the current economical mess they are in, but the North knows that its not the 50s and a lot has changed.

rock45

Were in two wars now and costing billions per month don't think it's helping the economy, your right it's not 1950s anymore.

Their War Machinery is obsolete
I agree

To me they have more bargaining power by doing what their doing right now stringing the world along.

Iran should be the main focus followed by Pakistan.

Pintu

Well said Ahmedji, truely agreed with this, but 50's the N-Power USA was a Myth compared to NKorea, but still they did not care about it, but if it is a ploy then I will say a very well crafted and calculated ploy by North.

Pintu

To me they have more bargaining power by doing what their doing right now stringing the world along.
Agreed totally.

Iran should be the main focus followed by Pakistan.
Both should be the main focus.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Iran is actually not much of a concern.... Agreed Ahmedinijad is a crackpot, but real power lies elsewhere, he is just like a mad spokesman. Iranians are highly logical and proud people and they need not be hounded I believe. Iran has never attacked a country, but I would love to see the Clergy the current power they yield.

Pakistan...... well what can I say........ Uncle sams gonna give it billions of dollars in Military aid regardless of what you and me talk here.

N Korea is bluffing again I say.

Pintu

That's why I've said 'can n't say about Iran', Sirji.

Agreed totally about Pakistan,

and if this is Bluffing then I will say they have made it to an Art.

Regards,

Pintu

Pintu

According to AFP, John Bolton former conservative policymaker said that the USA, should weigh military action against the North Korea if it hits Japan in its upcoming rocket launch.

The link and the report from AFP follows herewith:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jczcYY9KkfIMQ9qOui4FFs-WK4nQ

Weigh military strike if NKorea hits Japan: Bolton

1 hour ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) — The United States should weigh military action against North Korea if it hits Japan in its upcoming rocket launch, conservative former policymaker John Bolton said Friday.

Bolton, who served as US ambassador to the United Nations under former president George W. Bush, said he did not support a pre-emptive strike as it was unclear how serious North Korea's test would be.

"But if there is a real possibility of this landing in Japan or in any populated area, then we would have to look at it very carefully," Bolton told AFP.

"The Japanese don't have the luxury of distance to see whether it's a grapefruit or a basketball or whatever," he said, referring to speculation on the size of the North Korean payload.

Bolton, now a senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, has been an outspoken opponent of what he sees as a policy of rewards to North Korea led by State Department negotiators both under Bush and new President Barack Obama.

"I don't expect much out of this administration. It doesn't seem to have any plans beyond going to the UN Security Council," Bolton said.

"If the only thing we have is a Security Council resolution that condemns the launch, it is not going to get very far," he said.

Bolton said the best way to influence North Korea was to press China -- Pyongyang's top ally -- to "rein it in."

"If China is true to its word -- and I believe it is true to its word -- it does not want North Korea to collapse and to see a reunification of the Korean peninsula," Bolton said.

"And so the Chinese, faced with the risk of resolving this through pressure, do not apply any pressure," he said.

Stephen Bosworth, the Obama administration's envoy on North Korea, on Friday held out hope that North Korea would not go ahead with the launch but stuck to the goal of resuming six-nation disarmament talks no matter what happens.

North Korea tested an atom bomb in 2006. It later agreed to a US-brokered disarmament-for-aid deal, which has deadlocked over disputes on how to verify Pyongyang is ending its nuclear program.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles