No shortage of artillery guns: Antony

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Actually that was a OFB project, anyways the 105mm IFG does not pack a big enough punch and neither does it have the range required to be a front line weapon for a desert strike corps, what i got was that it was developed keeping ladakh in mind specifically, note that we already operate BMP's there and any sort of SPG in those mountains is an asset.
It would be better to have as many as we can get in NE and in Kashmir, better have something then nothing. Plus it wont be that costly and they can fire MRSI.
Ordnance Factory Board
Ordnance Factory Board
Ordnance Factory Board

If we can play it smart and use guided ammo, in line with what has been learn from CLGM JV with Israel, this would make this deadly product and spin off can go to all the big guns.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
My post was in response to Kunal's where he mentioned use of 105mm in mountains. It's at least better than having nothing at all
I surely agree, But OFB 105mm range is out-range by 122mm on other side, IA recently ordered 122mm arty..

though we already have D-30 but Army wanted more..

105mm is excellent arty piece as towed over high altitudes, It occupy less space and give more range than a 120mm mortar, I seriously doubt any other arty can do that job even 122mm D-30s..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
OFB must make a SPGH based on their 155mm/45cal barrel tech..

pankaj nema

Country flag
What is true is the fact the common people will NEVER come to know about our real military strength

And perhaps all this whining about

1 Shortage of artilerry
2 NO submarines left
3 Depleting number of Fighter squadrons ; it is all just hype and spreading of false information deliberately
to keep the enemies guessing

Poseidon

Country flag
Can anybody tell me how can we tranfer 105mm howitzers to India when we have a shortage?

Classified By: Ambassador David Mulford for Reasons 1.4 (B, D)

¶1. (SBU) Summary. Embassy contacts have confirmed press
reports that India has supplied Burma 105 mm Howitzers and
associated equipment. However, the Ministry of External
Affairs (MEA) denied that any such deals had transpired.
India's rationale for supplying weapons to the junta is
ostensibly to support joint counter-insurgency operations
aimed at Indian separatist groups based within Burmese
borders. End Summary.

Cable Viewer

Though in this cable India denies in another Cable US officials are quite sure that India supplied Burma with 105's.I found it very tough to find that cable out of 61 pages of India related cables.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Possibly, OFB making these guns since early 80s, So if some of them ended in Burma is no surprise..

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Possibly, OFB making these guns since early 80s, So if some of them ended in Burma is no surprise..
Do you sincerely think that OFB is making 105mm guns all these years? I mean I want to know your opinion.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There are 100s of 105mm or most numerous in IA, Parts being manufactured all time, like barrel and shock absorbers, Whole system and newer models..

Rage

DFI TEAM
I used to think Antony was just inept, now I'm certain he's certified cukoo.

joe81

Rage- Contrary to your views that Antony being a cukoo, I think he is result oriented man. Proof- Large number of deals coming through than at any time in the past.
Another major step is NO MAJOR SCAMS inspite of the billiions being spent. Better than George, who was making a profit even with caskets in Kargil.

BTW will be intresting to see how people from the force view him?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I used to think Antony was just inept, now I'm certain he's certified cukoo.
not his fault he is saying what he is told by IA, how do he know he is not suppose to do physical check nor he knows which is better gun.

agentperry

well he may be right after all maldives may become next pakistan for us. then our present artillery capability will be more than enough and there will be shortage ever if we bomb it even for straight one year

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
Mr. Saint antony go and tell this bedtime story to your grand childrens , even they will not believe & kick u back

U Nincompoop , from which planet u politicians have come , u lie every minute of ur pethetic life

ssingh

Hello Guys,

Are artillery guns going to be effective over the himalayas?. The enemy can hide behind the mountails and considering the trajectory the fired shells takes, the shells won't reach the enemy. What the army need is something like bhramos with "deep dive" capability isn't it? where hiding behind mountains won't make any sense.

I think Anthony knows (or rather made known) what he is telling. I am not telling that, they won't be effective at all, but their use can be limited over mountains. The BAE light howitzer being purchased also can fire GPS guided shells which have their own control surfaces i think to guide them to their target and also with enhanced range. IA needs something like this more i think over there.

It was the mistake (??) of Pak army during kargil of not basing on other side of the mountain. they based as well on the side facing IA, who came under direct fire of Bofors. Then again they can't leave any side unoccupied so that IA ends up taking high ground

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles