No Indian dance, play sports, says David Cameron

Blackwater

London: Keen to take forward Team GB's success beyond the London Olympics, British Prime Minister David Cameron today said schools should spend more time on competitive sports than on 'Indian dance', a remark that raised several eyebrows.

Hopping across television studios this morning, Cameron defended his decision to scrap the target of two hours for sports in schools, and regretted that instead of sports, schools were spending the time doing things like 'Indian dance'.

"I see it with my own children... because you know, the two hours that is laid down is often met through sort of Indian dancing classes. Now, I've got nothing against Indian dancing classes but that's not really sport," said Cameron.

"The trouble we have had with targets up to now, which was two hours a week, is that a lot of schools were meeting that by doing things like Indian dance or whatever, that you and I probably wouldn't think of as sport, so there's a danger of thinking all you need is money and a target. If that was the solution we would have solved the problem by now," he added.

Indian dance, better known in London as 'Bollywood dancing' is growing in Britain, with several workshops and dance classes teaching the steps accompanied by popular Hindi film songs.

Besides its cultural value, 'Bollywood dance' is also seen as an exercise, but contrary to Cameron's remark, there have been few instances of it being taught or performed regularly in schools.

Cameron's remarks prompted a wave of online comments by readers who ridiculed the prime minister.

Many believed that 'Indian dance' was a form of exercise, while some joked how 'Team Bollywood GB' would do if 'Bollywood dance' were included in Olympics.

Reader Tony wrote to The Daily Telegraph: "There is nothing wrong with a bit of bhangra dancing... The objective is to get that body moving and use those muscles to keep fit. Whilst it's not exactly sport, not everyone is naturally good at sport. Indian music isn't to everyone's taste, but it is quite addictive after a while and far less boring than most modern electronic dance music - and it definitely puts a smile on your face. An hour's Indian Dancing is probably better for you than an hour in the gym, or an hour running."

A reader wrote to The Guardian: "Back in the seventies we did county dancing as part of PE in primary school. Indian dancing is quite physical and if it engages some pupils who think running around after a ball is not enjoyable then why not? Cameron's comment just seems racist to me."

Another wrote in: "Cameron is living on a different planet. Any kind of exercise is better than the blobbism we now have. Not everyone wants to do cross-country running, and if girls, or men, want to do Indian dancing.... great. Those Indian dancers look super to me."

"Indian dance or any form of dance would seem to me to be an excellent way of engaging students in physical activity," another reader wrote.

No Indian dance, play sports, says David Cameron | NDTV.com

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Those who were hard line supporter of Euro Fighter are behaving like this, Its not Cameron but many in Europe after the deal..

Tolaha

Well.. nothing wrong in what he said IMO! Playing an outdoor sport is always better than dancing or just exercising I feel!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I don't blame Cameron.

In an atmosphere of doom and gloom that has enveloped Britain, the only silver lining in the black cloud is the unexpected medal tally at the Olympics.

That has brought cheer and ecstasy to the beleaguered soul and he does not want that 'beautiful dream' to go past him and so he has to tilt at windmills a la Don Quixote!

Poor man Cameron does not realise that Britain was once a seat of culture, art and literature (maybe second only to France and Italy). So to disregard the cultural aspects that is there in Britain and instead gravitate to merely sports, shows to what dismal and abysmal level his troubled mind has crawled into.

He has been so fondly deluded by the medal tally that he might even soon state that more time should be devoted to sports than on text books and acquiring knowledge!

A tormented soul clutching at straws!

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
it's news to me that cameron has converted to Jihadism or should i say Jihateism ( people who hate the polite who use the term "ji" )

so now he has become Mullah Cameron - and the first "cannot" is - indian dancing

i wonder what's next - jewish culture i suppose ?

lcatejas

But youngster from India should take this as challenge rather going to DID and Indian Idol

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Was PM David Cameron present in the closing ceremony? Bhangra dancers were there to bid farewell to the Olympics. Was this a teaser?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles