Nirmala Sitaraman Selected as India's New Defense Minister

Vijyes

So she's a functionary then? I know Sushma is the agony aunt for lost PIOs but this new....

So if I must make an algorithm based on your inputs:

NS--->AJ---->AS<---->NM

Is this correct?
NS is a person who is loyal and gets things done as is told without unnecessarily over indulgence or corruption.

Defense ministry was streamlined well by Mr Parrikar in 2.5 years. Most of the critical issues has been sorted out and the next step is ruthless technology acquisition. Nirmala, being experienced in commerce ministry and loyal, is likely to be better fitting.

Spectribution

Tihar Jail
Banned
NS is a person who is loyal and gets things done as is told without unnecessarily over indulgence or corruption.

Defense ministry was streamlined well by Mr Parrikar in 2.5 years. Most of the critical issues has been sorted out and the next step is ruthless technology acquisition. Nirmala, being experienced in commerce ministry and loyal, is likely to be better fitting.
So she uses her contacts to Jaitley to clear contacts then? Modi is presidential in nature so he takes the final call in CCS then? If I get what you are saying. Amit Shah is Chief of Staff(unofficially).

Vijyes

So she uses her contacts to Jaitley to clear contacts then? Modi is presidential in nature so he takes the final call in CCS then? If I get what you are saying. Amit Shah is Chief of Staff(unofficially).
Amit Shah is 100% in political affairs, elections while Modi is 80% in administration and 20% in politics. BJP needs 2 things - excellent administration to bolster Indian defense and at the same time fight elections against the crooks who do 'farmer agitation', JNU agitation or pick random topics to create chaos, get funds and support from Saudi, ISI. So, Amit Shah needs to be completely focused on combating these rogues. He has little time for administration. Administration is handled by Modi. Doval, few former bureaucrats and loyal ministers work both Modi. RSS and politically sound ministers work with both Modi and Shah. Modi also slightly controls politics by taking international assistance from Israel, diplomatic channels etc

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
Big congrats to our new DM. Lets hope she removes many existing roadblocks.

Her biggest
challenge would be sorting out IAF's mess. There is a need for clear and immediate roadmap for IAF's future. On the other hand, IAF too needs to immediately arrange meeting with her and explain her firmly about their requirements. MoD and IAF should be on the same page when negotiating deals. A bold move (maybe unpopular) might be needed to sort this out.

Her tough management skill maybe useful to increase productivity of DPSUs. More privatisation and PPP model is immediate requirement. She needs to create a competitive and sustainable ecosystem for desi MIC.

On policy front, she needs to bring much needed change, maybe a few ground breaking policies to ensure less bureaucratic hurdles get in the way of the procurement process.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Big congrats to our new DM. Lets hope she removes many existing roadblocks.

Her biggest
challenge would be sorting out IAF's mess. There is a need for clear and immediate roadmap for IAF's future. On the other hand, IAF too needs to immediately arrange meeting with her and explain her firmly about their requirements. MoD and IAF should be on the same page when negotiating deals. A bold move (maybe unpopular) might be needed to sort this out.

Her tough management skill maybe useful to increase productivity of DPSUs. More privatisation and PPP model is immediate requirement. She needs to create a competitive and sustainable ecosystem for desi MIC.

On policy front, she needs to bring much needed change, maybe a few ground breaking policies to ensure less bureaucratic hurdles get in the way of the procurement process.
Don't put too much hopes on drastic changes, not enough time. Hardly 15 months..

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
Don't put too much hopes on drastic changes, not enough time. Hardly 15 months..
Just a Wishlist of expectations. BTW even if she solves IAF's fighter mess in 15 months it would be a big achievement in itself.

here2where

From making pickles at home to making pickles of our enemies ... Way to go NS-ji :biggrin2::biggrin2:

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
sorry to be speculating but is India Interested in the P-1 for its secondry ASW petrol Aircraft ????
As of now, it is only about the request for use of P-1 in Malabar-2018 which is accepted without any issues.
But it may be a nice replacement for IL-38 in near future...

Flame Thrower

JNU asked for a tank, They got a defence minister!!!

or other way to put it is that commies at JNU resisted a tank in the campus, they got a defence minister!!!

=========
This is her at JNU during the missing JNU student episode..

full version!!!

One thing is clear, she is a tough nut.

Dalals need to do a bit more homework, only with little chances of success.

I'd give her six months before commenting on her work. But I am 100% sure that she'd perform way above than Antony. If we can bear Antony for a decade, we can damn sure bear Mrs. Sitaramam. If she doesn't do her job well, then Modi would replace her with someone else. Parrikar is busy in Goa to improve BJP, that is for sure. I won't expect him to be back even if Mrs. Sitaramam is performing worse than Antony.

Thus I rest my case.

Otmshank7

Disgusting anyone would question her competence based on her being a woman.

Some people, who have, don't deserve to hAve a mother

sthf

Country flag
sorry to be speculating but is India Interested in the P-1 for its secondry ASW petrol Aircraft ????
India is interested in buying a tier 2 maritime patrol aircraft but it is not P-1. Jaitley is merely taking a joy ride.

ICG recently ordered 6 C-295 MPA. You can expect IN to order a good number of them in the decade to come.

abingdonboy

Country flag
As of now, it is only about the request for use of P-1 in Malabar-2018 which is accepted without any issues.
But it may be a nice replacement for IL-38 in near future...

NO. P-8I is for that role, IN will keep ordering them until it gets a fleet of 24-30 of them. P1 is atrociously expensive.

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
NO. P-8I is for that role, IN will keep ordering them until it gets a fleet of 24-30 of them. P1 is atrociously expensive.
P8i replaced the tu-142s and filling the extra procurement gaps.
The cost of p8i is almost double of P-1.
So, IN will check p1s potential at Malabar-2018 and than they might think about P1.

Rest may be speculated only after Malabar-18.

indiatester

Country flag
The new RM has articulated her priorities.
http://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...ity-defence-minister-nirmala-sitharaman-68049

Preparedness of forces, Make in India top priority: Defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman
"I shall ensure that all defence priorities are well attended to. I will be available round the clock," she said.
  • Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 16:42

Preparedness of the armed forces, push to indigenous defence production and welfare of soldiers are priority areas, said Nirmala Sitharaman after assuming charge as India's first full-time woman Defence Minister on Thursday.

"My priority will definitely be the preparedness of the armed forces. It is important that the armed forces receive all the attention in terms of getting necessary endowment and equipment to perform their duties with the best of equipment available," Sitharaman said.

"I will attend to all long-pending issues (related to defence), and in consultation with the Prime Minister and the cabinet... the Cabinet Committee on Security... and ensure that those issues get resolved," Sitharaman said.

"I shall ensure that all defence priorities are well attended to. I will be available round the clock."

"... Make in India in defence production is very important for India's defence capabilities... it is something that will be of great importance to us," she added.

Pointing out that India was one of the biggest defence equipment buyers in the world, Sitharaman said domestic defence production will receive a boost due to technology transfer to the country.

She said the welfare of soldiers and their families was also one of her top priorities. "Although I am saying this at the end, certainly not least in importance is the armed forces' families and their welfare."

"Soldiers (deployed) on the toughest border, challenging situations, should remain absolutely assured that their interests are being watched."

Sitharaman, a former Commerce and Industry Minister, was elevated to the Cabinet Minister rank and given charge of the crucial defence portfolio in Sunday's cabinet reshuffle by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

However, she could not take charge as Arun Jaitley, who was holding the additional charge of defence, was on a visit to Japan for a bilateral dialogue.

Sitharaman is the first woman to hold full-time charge of the defence portfolio. In the past, the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi held the portfolio twice -- from December 1 to December 21, 1975, and January 14, 1980, to January 15, 1982.

Attachments

abingdonboy

Country flag
P8i replaced the tu-142s and filling the extra procurement gaps.
The cost of p8i is almost double of P-1.
So, IN will check p1s potential at Malabar-2018 and than they might think about P1.

Rest may be speculated only after Malabar-18.
Nope, P-8I fleet will be 24-30 units by 2027- that much is certain, for the MMA/MRMPA role will be taken care of by the C-295 most likely (that is being designed by the DRDO/CABS as we speak).

P-1 has no future in India, especially considering the glacial speed the US-2 sale to India has seen.

abingdonboy

Country flag
The new RM has articulated her priorities.
http://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...ity-defence-minister-nirmala-sitharaman-68049

Preparedness of forces, Make in India top priority: Defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman
"I shall ensure that all defence priorities are well attended to. I will be available round the clock," she said.
  • Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 16:42

Preparedness of the armed forces, push to indigenous defence production and welfare of soldiers are priority areas, said Nirmala Sitharaman after assuming charge as India's first full-time woman Defence Minister on Thursday.

"My priority will definitely be the preparedness of the armed forces. It is important that the armed forces receive all the attention in terms of getting necessary endowment and equipment to perform their duties with the best of equipment available," Sitharaman said.

"I will attend to all long-pending issues (related to defence), and in consultation with the Prime Minister and the cabinet... the Cabinet Committee on Security... and ensure that those issues get resolved," Sitharaman said.

"I shall ensure that all defence priorities are well attended to. I will be available round the clock."

"... Make in India in defence production is very important for India's defence capabilities... it is something that will be of great importance to us," she added.

Pointing out that India was one of the biggest defence equipment buyers in the world, Sitharaman said domestic defence production will receive a boost due to technology transfer to the country.

She said the welfare of soldiers and their families was also one of her top priorities. "Although I am saying this at the end, certainly not least in importance is the armed forces' families and their welfare."

"Soldiers (deployed) on the toughest border, challenging situations, should remain absolutely assured that their interests are being watched."

Sitharaman, a former Commerce and Industry Minister, was elevated to the Cabinet Minister rank and given charge of the crucial defence portfolio in Sunday's cabinet reshuffle by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

However, she could not take charge as Arun Jaitley, who was holding the additional charge of defence, was on a visit to Japan for a bilateral dialogue.

Sitharaman is the first woman to hold full-time charge of the defence portfolio. In the past, the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi held the portfolio twice -- from December 1 to December 21, 1975, and January 14, 1980, to January 15, 1982.
Typical platitudes every defence minister has stated for the past 20 years, let's see what she is able to do, as it stands this govt has sabotaged itself at every stage regarding the MoD/military.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles