Nirmala Sitaraman Selected as India's New Defense Minister

Bahamut

that's the way i see it ....putting a young lady there means that He will by remote or direct control maintain the overall decision making while at the same time relieving Shri Jaitley of the extra burden and also scoring politically correct with women empowerment and all that bull
We do not need a remote control of PMO in MoD. If a person cannot handle MoF and MoD simultaneously , how can he handle with PMO and MoD. We need a minster that can reform MoD and this will require personal attention for more then 5 years .
See this vedio
We need a Minster like Mattis

Hemu Vikram Aditya

Country flag
No thanks Sir please I am not a Sir
isn't this a relevant thread for this discussion?
I am just curious how?
I'm of the opinion that people who know Defence isues should handle said ministry. And ex-military personel are best for the job.
As @Kunal Biswas sir said VK sngh; they ignored him, why?
The govt. wants someone who will toe their line, be completely obedient and will not be able to sway the armed forces under their charisma.
Picking some one from some other field like a card game is not appropriate.
The issue also has parallels to "women on frontline" idea, because they have a common stream of thought.
*Cough* *Cough* Manohar Parrikar *Cough* *Cough*

Rahul Prakash

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
.....aaaaand the New Defence Minister is ...wait for it

it's ....Shri Narendra Modi !!!!.....

that's the way i see it ....putting a young lady there means that He will by remote or direct control maintain the overall decision making while at the same time relieving Shri Jaitley of the extra burden and also scoring politically correct with women empowerment and all that bull

.....This move by Namo has give a new description to the letters PC .... it's not just politically correct but rather
POLITICALLY CLEVER !!

in business school they didnt teach me that the best business and political education is gained by selling tea to the public ! and instead of paying school fees actually you get paid instead ! !

it's a master stroke by the man !

i disagree with @spikey360 that woman cant be minister because it will actually be Namo who will be running the show and he needed a good executive who is clean and efficient and i think NM easily qualifies in those aspects

but i do agree with @spikey360 and indeed others that it will be a horrific mess to get women into combat ....

and i agree with all the terrible scenarios some of you have drawn when women enter into combat ....... the only way out is that with the same thing happening in other countries eg even in china , there will therefore be an equalizing effect

nevertheless it is something which is being pushed hard for whatever reasons and with good management not only can we avoid too many problems but actually get some good , we hope , out of it so that the men on combat duty will not feel too lonely , i suppose

but it must be ESSENTIAL for us to keep track of our demographic growth and demographic health when putting women into such combat positions so that we do not fall in to the same demographic mess like japan or the western euro countries

as an added comment i also feel Namo has moved towards a PRESIDENTIAL style of government where HE is THE MAN in charge with 566 inches and everyone else is just an efficient functionary following his orders

but if it does bring progress to india which is v much needed , then i say let the man do his thing ---- Modi seems to be helping india rise even faster and even better !!!!
The thing is being politically correct is itself a half defeat.

It means you are now playing on their terms.

the anti nationals will always use this narrative to cause problems.If you have to defend your decision by saying that we are empowering women in front of pc crowd,then tomorrow you will have to accept women in combat,etc and then what will you do.

You will be forced and then this cycle will repeat.Everything will be sacrificed in the name of these sjw causes and finally your country will become just a vehicle for these sjw causes until some group like muslims or chinese take over.

Right now the us exists for only 2 purposes:

1.To promotes social justice causes everywhere and punish countries with any own narrative.
2. To act as a market for big companies,mic,and as muscle for the deep state.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
The thing is being politically correct is itself a half defeat.

It means you are now playing on their terms.

the anti nationals will always use this narrative to cause problems.If you have to defend your decision by saying that we are empowering women in front of pc crowd,then tomorrow you will have to accept women in combat,etc and then what will you do.

You will be forced and then this cycle will repeat.Everything will be sacrificed in the name of these sjw causes and finally your country will become just a vehicle for these sjw causes until some group like muslims or chinese take over.

Right now the us exists for only 2 purposes:

1.To promotes social justice causes everywhere and punish countries with any own narrative.
2. To act as a market for big companies,mic,and as muscle for the deep state.
yes ...well said

i wrote that pc for namo was being politically clever an thus he will not have to play by their rules

so by having a woman Def Min , we may be able to circumvent all the other pc ( correct ) stuff and avoid women in combat ( at least in extreme cases ) by saying well, after all our Def Min is a woman so in india women are allowed to rise to their capacity, for sure and are not oppressed like in elsewhere ( ahem )

we can still have lots of women in the medical and other appropriate corps

ref @Razor

U mister haven't been out of the mandir for a while :truestory:
A sane women :hail: Roma ji marry me :basanti:
hahahaha thanks ! ....... you are better off with a younger woman Sir -ji !!

Last edited:

Mangal

Country flag
Wether NS will support women in combat role is matter of speculation. I believe if army resists it not much can be done by def. minister irrespective of who he/ she is. Army successfully resisted Antony's and Manmohan's attempt to give up siachin.
But it's sad to see few people here criticising the choice of NS as def. minister just because she is a women. She may have some other issues which could be criticized but being a woman is not a limitation of any sort. Women have time and again proven to be good administrators/ decision makers, equally if not better than men. And by far out of all defense minister nearly all were men. What outstanding accomplishment have they achieved? Let us have a woman as defense minister and give her time.
P.S I am anti feminism and against women in combat role.

indus

Living in Post Truth
Country flag
In my opinion Nirmala S was chosen for her management abilities. She can fast track files through bureaucratic mess and is a good negotiator as wto episode showed. Also defence minstry is a place where one can become corrupt very easily. Her clean image will be a deterrent for corruption. Coz of the intense lobbying and marketing companies make. She can take the pressures and stand with the decisions. Modi will not be interfering in each and every decision though in strategic ones he will be the decision maker. So overall a fair choice it seems.

Kay

Country flag
Good thing that we finally got a full time defence minister. She may not have experience in defence matters, but is a competent person. My only concern is her past association with Lockheed Martin and what it means for indegeneous weapons.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Would say that it came as a shock after news of AJ retaining defence portfolio which was doing round in morning. Will have to keep our fingers crossed on such a choice although being little political mindset, I do see a political gamebit here.

I do think that we may see a FGFA deal soon enough after this. Just when Modi is attending BRICS along with Putin, appointment of NS as RM would be a pleasant surprise for Russia. With this a political gamebit of upmanship has been played by India with both western as well as Russian counterpart.

Just hope that she would bring along her economic sense in cracking up deals in limbo and fast track things on home front.

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
Why are they sidelining general V K Singh for the defence minister post?
I don't doubt the capabilities of Mrs Seetharaman but I think General Singh would have been a better choice for this post.
Disappointed.

Vijyes

Why are they sidelining general V K Singh for the defence minister post?
I don't doubt the capabilities of Mrs Seetharaman but I think General Singh would have been a better choice for this post.
Disappointed.
We need a negotiator, not a commander. Unnecessarily clashing the army commander with defence minister is foolish.

We want a person to negotiate deals, not fight wars.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Their army, their report, their study mostly irrelevant here ..

Btw this is not about this topic, I am sure our new RM is not a front-line solider ..

Thread closed, Will open when find it suitable for opening ..

This 'pragmatic' thinking is what liberals rely on. This is marine corps report from 2015. They unofficially from 2010 - 2012 and 2014-15 conducted experiments on women in combat roles. By the US military recommendations, they wanted women in combat scrapped.

Liberals are cancer. Stop buying from MNCs that fund them. Buy Patanjali or other local crap and watch them melt away.

http://www.npr.org/2015/09/10/43924...ase-results-of-study-on-women-in-combat-units

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/g00/military/sdut-marines-women-in-combat-task-force-results-2015sep10-htmlstory.html?i10c.referrer=https://www.google.co.in/

Reactions: Kay

Vijyes

Army is more about management and discipline rather warmongering ..

Know the basics first ..
We do not need a defence minister to lead the army. We need a defense minister who can handle OFB, deals with France, Israel or US and coordinating with finance minister, cabinet and the prime minister.

Also, a person who is used to be in the army may have biases. Foe example, VK Singh had made objections to General Suhag's nomination in public. I understand that congress was unduly influencing army and keeping its own people there but making such remarks isn't delicate way of handling.

This is what I meant by clashes.

Indian Sniper.001

Country flag
We do not need a defence minister to lead the army. We need a defense minister who can handle OFB, deals with France, Israel or US and coordinating with finance minister, cabinet and the prime minister.

Also, a person who is used to be in the army may have biases. Foe example, VK Singh had made objections to General Suhag's nomination in public. I understand that congress was unduly influencing army and keeping its own people there but making such remarks isn't delicate way of handling.

Yes, to add to you point, I hear incidents that Gen VK Singh had a few clashes/misunderstandings with a few of his fellow officers, thus it was not advisable for appointing him. He would have created differences in the Armed Forces which we can't afford. And also, the IN and IAF would have felt undermined. I don't have to explain that point.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Don`t quote me media reporting, I know what happened alot more than people on internet do ..

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Today there was a nidhi razdan debate in NDTV about the new RM.

Interestingly all the participants came to the conclusion that new RM was given the post because of her competence and a good stint as commerce minister and not because of her gender. Ideally i would have said "Well said NDTV".

but when you remember all the hulla they made when pratibha patil was given the top post, they were pretty clear emphasising her gender.

if gender was not an issue, then why was NDTV advocating women's rights for all these years?

what can i say!!!

pruthvi24

Country flag
First of all congrats to her but i have my reservations
pro's
1.heard she is a tough negotiator
2.PM & NSA will run the ministry from behind like Narsimha Rao did during 90's economic reforms
Con's
1.My only reservation Libtards & Feminazi's turning the volume up for combative role for women which is not going end well. i'm not patriarchal or something like that .the thing is for women there 100's of other jobs in defence and in the world where female can be boss of their male colleagues like in DRDO or ISRO but please leave the combat role to the Men. armed forces are there for defence of this country not a ground for social experiments
when you have strong defence force you can do any kind of social experiments inside you country sorry for harsh words but i would like to tell SJW cuck's who are batting for combat role to go fuck themselves because we are living in most hostile neighbourhood in the world with barbaric neighbours

PD_Solo

The only one
Country flag
First of all congrats to her but i have my reservations
pro's
1.heard she is a tough negotiator
2.PM & NSA will run the ministry from behind like Narsimha Rao did during 90's economic reforms
Con's
1.My only reservation Libtards & Feminazi's turning the volume up for combative role for women which is not going end well. i'm not patriarchal or something like that .the thing is for women there 100's of other jobs in defence and in the world where female can be boss of their male colleagues like in DRDO or ISRO but please leave the combat role to the Men. armed forces are there for defence of this country not a ground for social experiments
when you have strong defence force you can do any kind of social experiments inside you country sorry for harsh words but i would like to tell SJW cuck's who are batting for combat role to go fuck themselves because we are living in most hostile neighbourhood in the world with barbaric neighbours
For your second point...

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles