Ningbo- Xiangshan Bridge Opens

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned

map

the purple route shows the distance a transit car has to cover without the bridge

Third cross-sea bridge of Zhejiang Province, Total length 47 kilometers, cost 7.5 billion RMB, some 73 billion rupees, project started on 12/30/2008 and will be open 12/29/2012.

The longest single span of the bridge is 688 meters, the highest tower is 225.5 meters, it allows 50K tonne cargo ship to pass under the bridge
and can stand up to category 14 typhoon.

the bridge reduced the current 120km distance from ningbo to xiangshan to 52 km,making a 2 hour travel 56 minutes.

people have to use ferry boat before to transit

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
So fascinating..

Another bridge opens!

Just like that bridge in Mumbai!

I am also remind of that engineering marvel of the tunnel under the North Sea linking Britain with France,both by rail and for road vehicle ferry!

The Channel Tunnel is the longest undersea tunnel in the world. The section under the sea is 38km long. The three tunnels, each 50km long, were bored at an average 40m below the sea bed, and link Folkestone in Kent to Coquelles in Pas-de-Calais.

Eurotunnel shuttles, Eurostar and national freight trains run in the two single track and single direction tunnels. These are connected to a central service tunnel by cross-passages situated every 375m. The service tunnel allows access to maintenance and emergency rescue teams and serves as a safe haven if passengers need to be evacuated in an incident. The service tunnel is a road tunnel used by electric and diesel-powered vehicles. Air pressure is higher in the service tunnel to prevent the ingress of smoke in case of a fire in one of the rail tunnels.

The two rail tunnels are 7.6m in diameter and 30m apart. Each rail tunnel has a single track, overhead line equipment (catenary) and two walkways (one for maintenance purposes and the other for use in the event of an emergency evacuation and on the side nearest the service tunnel). The walkways are also designed to maintain a shuttle upright and in a straight line of travel in the unlikely event of a derailment.

The service tunnel is 4.8m in diameter and lies between the two rail tunnels 15m away from each of them. In normal operations shuttles use the south tunnel in the France – UK direction, and the north tunnel when travelling from the UK to France.

Two undersea crossovers bring flexibility of operation as trains can pass from one tunnel to the other during night maintenance periods to isolate a section of tunnel.

The track in each rail tunnel has two continuously welded rails laid on pre-cast concrete supports embedded in the concrete track bed.

Fixed equipment in the tunnels comes under four categories: electricity and catenary, rail track and signaling, mechanical systems and control and communications.

Cooling pipes, fire mains, signalling equipment and cables are fixed to the sides of the tunnels and are fed by cooling plants at Samphire Hoe in the UK and Sangatte in France.

The overhead catenary supplies traction power to the shuttles as well as to other trains using the Tunnel, e.g. Eurostar and international rail freight trains. The catenary is divided into sections, so that maintenance work can be carried out in stages. Electrical power supplying the tunnels, drainage pumps, lighting and the trains, is provided by substations on each side of the Channel. In the event of loss of power from one side, the entire system can be supplied from the other side.

The fixed lighting installations can be switched on from the control centre or manually from within the tunnels. Various fire-protection and detection systems are installed at points along the length of the tunnels.

More at:

http://www.eurotunnelgroup.com/uk/the-channel-tunnel/infrastructure/

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am totally fascinated by the engineering marvels that are taking place all over the world.

Equally commendable is China's long distant High Speed train that is like a rocket!!

Also see this:

Last edited by a moderator:

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned
So fascinating..

Another bridge opens!

Just like that bridge in Mumbai!

....e/[/url]
I don't think it is fair to compare this one with the Mumbai Bandra-Worli Sea link. The latter only covers about 5.6 km, not even in the same league with this one's 47 km.

Brandra-Worli sea link also suffers a lot criticisms after it was open. First, the cost was not the projected 300 crore but actually cost 1,600 crore or about 430% cost overrun. Second, the project was 5 year behind schedule. Third, the supposedly reduction in commute time did not occur. Traffic bunched up at both ends of the Link causing nightmarish grid lock. The blame rest, as usual, on the notorious Indian corruption and political in-efficiencies.

This being said, it is still a good effort from India's will to enhance infrastructure, which should be encouraged.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am not comparing.

I am merely stating that how the world is overcome hurdles.

I am sure that if there was a necessity, then one would build greater and longer bridges.

If you recall, China has built the largest container port in the world by reclaiming from the sea. I do not remember the name, but I saw that on the Discovery channel.

It is obvious that China required to do and build such a marvel to cater for the huge export that it was catering to!

Necessity is the mother of Invention.

In Kolkata they are building an under river tunnel below the Hooghly to link Kolkata with Howrah by Metro. It would be unbelievable a few years back!

So, necessity is what moves the world.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Brandra-Worli sea link also suffers a lot criticisms after it was open. First, the cost was not the projected 300 crore but actually cost 1,600 crore or about 430% cost overrun. Second, the project was 5 year behind schedule. Third, the supposedly reduction in commute time did not occur. Traffic bunched up at both ends of the Link causing nightmarish grid lock. The blame rest, as usual, on the notorious Indian corruption and political in-efficiencies.
Deficiencies in Indian infrastructure is widely reported since being a democracy, we don't accept shoddy work or operations and the Govt or the Police cannot browbeat us into silence.

One could indicate how shoddy workmanship has causes disasters, but this is not the moment to raise such issues since one is here to applaud the engineering marvels that are taking place around the world.

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned
Deficiencies in Indian infrastructure is widely reported since being a democracy, we don't accept shoddy work or operations and the Govt or the Police cannot browbeat us into silence.

One could indicate how shoddy workmanship has causes disasters, but this is not the moment to raise such issues since one is here to applaud the engineering marvels that are taking place around the world.
I don't understand what you want to convey here, to a Chinese standard, it is nothing marvelous, it is just the third sea link bridge in Zhejiang province, it is not the longest nor is it most technical challenged. It is just a bridge.

There is no much likelihood between this one and that one of Mumbai except they are all bridges. If you want to imply Chinese bridges are shoddy then where will you put your indian bridges? need I put some comparison pictures?

This bridge is 8.5 times longer, two times higher, two times stronger and being built up 10 times faster and 2 times cheaper than the Mumbai sea link which is not working as it is supposed to. Speaking of shoddy which one is more shoddy?

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I don't understand what you want to convey here, to a Chinese standard, it is nothing marvelous, it is just the third sea link bridge in Zhejiang province, it is not the longest nor is it most technical challenged. It is just a bridge.
If it is just another bridge, then why this thread and the song and dance?

Propaganda?

To me, it still is an engineering marvel.

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned
If it is just another bridge, then why this thread and the song and dance?

Propaganda?

To me, it still is an engineering marvel.
Nah, this is to give forum users a complete and holistic view of China, there is no dance and song, even people using this bridge they don't dance or sing, they hold no celebration except a brief opening ceremony.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ah a bridge!

India has just constructed the second longest tunnel in Asia.

Any song and a dance being made here?

It is all a part of life and development. What was of delight was that Kashmir was joined by rail and not the second longest tunnel.

If there was a necessity to build a tunnel that would be the longest tunnel in Asia just to ensure Kashmir was connected by rail, then it would still have to be done.

QED.

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned
Ah a bridge!

India has just constructed the second longest tunnel in Asia.

Any song and a dance being made here?

It is all a part of life and development. What was of delight was that Kashmir was joined by rail and not the second longest tunnel.

If there was a necessity to build a tunnel that would be the longest tunnel in Asia just to ensure Kashmir was connected by rail, then it would still have to be done.

QED.

I am confused of asia's second longest tunnel part here
I have a list from wikipedia:
List of longest tunnels in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

would you let me know which one you are referring to?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be the main problem.

Check the forum.

It has just been commissioned.

Wikipedia is thus dated.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Pir Panjal tunnel, which is the second longest in Asia, is a vital link in the Railway dream project of connecting Kashmir to Udhampur in Jammu region.

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned
The Pir Panjal tunnel, which is the second longest in Asia, is a vital link in the Railway dream project of connecting Kashmir to Udhampur in Jammu region.
what? a 11,210m tunnel is Asia's Second Longest? you are kidding right?
Given any Chinese or Japanese tunnel, 11,210 is just a shortie. we can easily find many twice the length.

Seikan, Taihang, Qinling, Wuwei... are these nonexistant?

Forget about Japan, let's count China alone
China's longest rail tunnel is Guanjiao Tunnel of Qinghai-Tibetan railway, total length 32.65 KM, second longest is Qinling west,
28.2 km, third longest is Taihang, 27.38, the fourth is Wushaoling, 20.05 km, any of these double the 11km, if you don't count China as an asian country, you still cannot claim yourself the second longest, because Japan has at least 5 tunnels longer than 11 km.

Last edited:

Rage

DFI TEAM
Awesome! How many years did it take to build this?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Good.

china has the longest in everything including the tongue and ego!

China is Mohammed Ali!

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Looks fricking amazing. There's that totalitarian efficiency there at work again. Meanwhile in India we build 5 km bridges many times over the budgeted time and cost requirements and make a big hullabaloo over it!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Looks fricking amazing. There's that totalitarian efficiency there at work again. Meanwhile in India we build 5 km bridges many times over the budgeted time and cost requirements and make a big hullabaloo over it!

Amazing indeed.

But slow by Chinese standards.

They are excellent in the construction business.

I have seen them operating in Singapore (Mainland Chinese workers) and they built a huge building in next to nothing if equated in time!

With no offence being meant, they were more active than ants building their nest.

I am totally mesmerised at the dexterity and skill!!

I believe that the Chinese who work overseas get a better pay packet and more perks!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles