NIA books Italian marines for Kerela fishermen's murder

Blackwater

Re: Italy warns India of consequences if marines face death

All are illegal?
most of them were illegal before. when Italy needs labor, they invited all illegals to get regular .Most of Punjabis ran from other EU countries and settled in Italy,Spain,Portugal.

most of them are now regularized and have work permit for 2 yrs extendable offcourse

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned

Italy has largest indian diaspora beating UK and germany.
Ok, maybe. But, it was not visible in the few cities I visited in Italy (I missed Sicily island, though). I even had to vomit there a few times as I had to survive on pasta & Pizza (plus, I am a veggie). Even if they were hidden somewhere, Indian restaurants were nowhere to be seen. One of my lady colleague even lost her handbag in daylight snatching & the cops refused to logde a complaint. We did not pursue it & left it at that. So, I had somewhat hard time in Italy.

Indians are certainly more visible in UK & even in Russia with reasonably enough Indian delicacies on platter.

not everyone is registered with indian govt
So, just 7% are registered & the rest illegal Indian migrants ? As you said 10 lakhs Punjabi & I am assuming as many non-Punjabi Indians. So, just 1.4 lakhs out of 20 lakhs have registered ?

Last edited:

Blackwater

TrueSpirit1;840986[B said:
]Ok, maybe. But, it was not visible in the few cities I visited in Italy (I missed Sicily island, though). I even had to vomit there a few times as I had to survive on pasta & Pizza (plus, I am a veggie). Even if it was hidden somewhere, Indian restaurants were nowhere to be seen. [/B]

One of my lady colleague even lost her handbag in daylight snatching & the cops refused to logde a complaint. We did not pursue it & left it at that. So, I had somewhat hard time in Italy.

Indians are certainly more visible in UK & even in Russia with reasonably enough Indian delicacies on platter.

So, just 7% are registered & the rest illegal Indian migrants ? As you said 10 lakhs Punjabi & I am assuming as many non-Punjabi Indians.

So, just 1.4 lakhs out of 20 lakhs have registered ?
i been to Italy and Spain myself. saw only 2 Indians. most of Indian are in agriculture not visible in cities. yes u can see few in Indian restaurants.

i think 99% are of punjabi origin

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned

i been to Italy and Spain myself. saw only 2 Indians. most of Indian are in agriculture not visible in cities. yes u can see few in Indian restaurants.

i think 99% are of punjabi origin
Agriculture......growing Pomodoro ?.... interesting. I have no idea.

Blackwater

Agriculture......growing Pomodoro ?.... interesting. I have no idea.
true most punjabis are uneducated or less educated can not do white color jobs. some working on goras farm,some manage to sell their land in punjab and bought land in italy

SPIEZ

Country flag

true most punjabis are uneducated or less educated can not do white color jobs. some working on goras farm,some manage to sell their land in punjab and bought land in italy
Dafaq!

Land prices so cheap in Italy?

Btw, you must be aware that many have started farming/agriculture in Australia

Blackwater

Dafaq!

Land prices so cheap in Italy?

Btw, you must be aware that many have started farming/agriculture in Australia
agri-land prices are cheap in italy as compare to punjab. today even third class location fetch around 30 to 40 lakh/acre in punjab.

rojesh

we do have lot of Italy based products. Anyhow bygone is bygone.They cant bring back the lives of the fishermen!!! Italian Govt should be asked to pay compensation directly to the fishermen families!!!! Death sentence will definitely make matters worse for India!!!

They were offered huge amount of money but the fisherman family did not accept. I think politics played the game there. I have worked with Italians and I know their work culture. They committed crime, thinking they can get away very easy. They were onboard for a mission Anti piracy, incident happened in International waters. They should be punished but not a death sentence.

nirranj

Country flag

They will rot in Indian prison.They will wish for death than be in indian prison.That too in tamilnadu prison.
The incident happened off Kerala coast and the fishermen belong to Kerala. The court proceedings too happen in Kerala. So The Marines will be locked in a prison in Kerala. You need to get your facts right.

If they were to be locked in TN, then they will be locked in Puzhal Central Prison, which is modern and has better accomodations compared to anyother Indian prison. You need to get your facts right.

The Telegraph - Calcutta : Nation

Puzhal Central Prison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I dont think You would want them to live in comfort here in Puzhal.

I would suggest to lock them in Tihar.

EXPERT

Consequences will not let free your guys . And if Italy didnt came on track than we start sending more Punjabis to Italy along with Biharies .

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
Italy to seek int'l help over trial of marines in India

Italy will take up at the "international level" the trial of two marines in India for the killing of two Indian fishermen, Premier Enrico Letta has said.

Speaking days before India's Supreme Court takes up Italy's challenge to the invocation of an anti-terrorism law against the marines, Letta said his government "plans to send an Italian House delegation to New Delhi" over the issue.

The Italian Prime Minister vowed to move at an "international level" on the issue of Marines Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, Italian news agency ANSA reported. He did not give details of the actions his government intends to take.

In a statement issued after Letta held a meeting on Friday with Foreign Minister Emma Bonino and Defence Minister Mario Mauro, the government reiterated its "firm expectation that the Indian government would keep its assurances"¦that the case in question does not fall under anti-piracy norms (that include capital punishment as a possible sentence)".

Letta also said he "was happy with the solidarity expressed by the European Union".

The marines allegedly shot dead two fishermen off the Kerala coast in February 2012, sparking diplomatic tensions between India and Italy. Both men could face the death penalty if convicted.

Italy approached the Indian Supreme Court on January 15 amid fears that the National Investigation Agency intends to prosecute the marines under the anti-terror Suppression of Unlawful Acts against safety of Maritime Navigation And Fixed Platforms on Continental Shelf Act, which carries the death penalty.

On Monday, the apex court will hear the petition, including a demand for the marines to be allowed to return to Italy till proceedings begin against them.

An Italian parliamentary delegation also plans to travel to India to lend support to the marines, ANSA reported.

In December, President Giorgio Napolitano said the trial of the marines had run into "difficulty" because of upcoming general elections in India.

The marines, deployed on the Italian-flagged oil tanker MT Enrica Lexie, have said they mistook the fishermen for pirates. They are now staying in the Italian embassy in New Delhi awaiting trial.

Rome wants the marines to be tried in Italy, claiming the incident took place in international waters. However, New Delhi said it has the right to try the Italian personnel as the victims were Indian on board an Indian fishing boat.

Italy to seek int’l help over trial of marines in India | The Indian Express

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Re: Italy to seek int'l help over trial of marines in India

Take help from US, they have influence in India, specially after DK case.

Meriv90

I don't want to judge nor to say my opinion since there is still the principle "Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat " even if by the wrong court.

Just wanted to correct the article from the times of india since it says exactly the contrary of what you hear here in europe.

<Letta also said he "was happy with the solidarity expressed by the European Union"> this translates in puting a veto and frezze the negotiations of the commercial treaty beetween UE and India to wake up UE on the matter.

P.S. Just wanted to confirm, never saw an indian white collar worker in italy not even in the IT field, that is normaly your market even if we have a lack workers in that sector.
Also I never heard of indian and in general, foreign people, buying land to cultivate it, being land in italy really really expensive (just take a look at a natural map and you will see that we got almost no flatland to cultivate). The one sector where you have a massive presence is the milk sector but as blue collar.

pmaitra

I don't want to judge nor to say my opinion since there is still the principle "Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat " even if by the wrong court.

Just wanted to correct the article from the times of india since it says exactly the contrary of what you hear here in europe.

<Letta also said he "was happy with the solidarity expressed by the European Union"> this translates in puting a veto and frezze the negotiations of the commercial treaty beetween UE and India to wake up UE on the matter.

P.S. Just wanted to confirm, never saw an indian white collar worker in italy not even in the IT field, that is normaly your market even if we have a lack workers in that sector.
Also I never heard of indian and in general, foreign people, buying land to cultivate it, being land in italy really really expensive (just take a look at a natural map and you will see that we got almost no flatland to cultivate). The one sector where you have a massive presence is the milk sector but as blue collar.
I doubt there will be a death sentence. Most Indians will be against death sentence anyway. So, I would not worry about it, and neither should Italy. What is necessary, however, is to send out a message, not just to Italy, but to everyone, to be careful, avoid being trigger happy, and not hurt Indian fishermen.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Their wont be death sentance as they didnt have enemity with fishermen. But those trigger happy marines acted in stupidity. If law provide then weapon they tend to use itwith responsibility. Just because they dont case for human lives of foreigners( asians) in this case does not mean they shoot innocent unarmed fishermen without any provocation.

I think they will get 10 years in jail or something like that.

ladder

Country flag
Marines to face tough law

In a strange turn of events, the Centre has opted to give the National Investigation Agency (NIA) permission to prosecute Italian marines -"‘ Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone -- accused of killing to two Kerala fishermen in the Indian high seas, under the tough provisions of Suppression of Unlawful Acts Against Safety of Maritime Navigation and Fixed Platforms on Continental Shelf Act (SUA Act).

Section 3 (g) (i) of the SU Act, under which the Italian marines have been booked, prescribes death penalty as it clearly states that in connection with a ship"¦ "Whoever unlawfully and intentionally"¦ causes death to any person shall be punished with death."

Caught in a dilemma after the European Union countries stepped up the pressure and under a veiled warning that "they are carefully assessing the Italian marines case" even threatened to stop Free Trade Agreement (FTA) negotiations with India, the three ministries of the central government – home, external affairs and law – were trying to find ways to find a solution to the vexed issue.

Going a step further, the home ministry, through sources, had even blamed the former union home secretary R K Singh for going overboard and taking a unilateral decision to handover the case to the NIA under provisions of the SUA Act.

Speaking to the dna, RK Singh who is a BJP leader now, said that union ministry under Sushilkumar Shinde was trying to spread a canard against him.

"I knew this was not the truth, as the decision was not taken by me alone but was a well thought out collective decision taken by the Attorney General of India and ministries of external affairs and law. It is not easy to go back on such a decision," R K Singh told dna.

While sources did not spell out the exact reason for giving prosecution sanction to the NIA, they hinted that it was difficult for the NIA to wriggle out of the case and drop the charges as the case was handed over to it because of specific provisions of the SUA Act.

Sources said now it will be prerogative of the special NIA court to take cognisance of the matter and see if tough section 3 (g) (i) of the SUA Act applies to the Italian marines.

The Centre can approach the court to be lenient against the Italian marines to honour the promise, a kind of sovereign guarantee, it gave to the Italian government that the two marines will not be tried for death penalty, sources said.
Marines to face tough law - India - DNA

ladder

Country flag
Speaking days before India's Supreme Court takes up Italy's challenge to the invocation of an anti-terrorism law against the marines, Letta said his government "plans to send an Italian House delegation to New Delhi" over the issue.
If they send the other marines who were on board the ship during the attack to testify, instead of sending a house delegation, they would do a greater service to these two marines.

feathers

Tihar Jail
Banned
Italian marines case may impact ties with India: EU - The Hindu

Brussels, January 30, 2014
Updated: January 30, 2014 10:03 IST

The president of the European Commission has said the issue of the Italian marines in India may have an "impact" on the European Union-India relations and "will be assessed carefully".

Jose Manuel Barroso, the president of the European Commission, met Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta in Brussels Wednesday and discussed the case of the two Italian marines who are being held in India.

"A point that Prime Minister Letta has raised with me and on which we have been in close contact with the Italian authorities is the issue of the Italian marines in India. The European Union (EU) continues to follow the situation very closely," Barroso told a joint press conference with Letta afer the meeting.

"Any decision on the case may have an impact on the overall European Union-India relations and will be assessed carefully. The European Union encourages India to find, as a matter of urgency, a mutually satisfactory solution to the longstanding case of the Italian marines arrested in February 2012, in accordance with international law and the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea," he said.

Barroso said "this issue has also a bearing on the global fight against piracy, to which the European Union is strongly committed".

He said "the European Union is opposed to the use of the death penalty in all cases and under any circumstances". The European Commission is the executive body of the 28-member European Union.

The two Italian marines — Salvatore Girone and Massimiliano Latorre — are facing trial for murder in India. The two were detained in February 2012 when they shot dead two Indian fishermen while guarding an Italian oil tanker off Kerala, mistaking the fishermen for pirates.

The Italian prime minister had sought European states' help to find a positive solution to the case.

"We want the marines case to finish soon, as soon as possible," Xinhua quoted Letta as saying following talks with President of the European Council Herman Van Rompuy and Barroso.

Italian government's envoy Staffan De Mistura is set to head for New Delhi Thursday, while reports said a representative of the Italian government could meet the new Russian ambassador to Rome next week, asking him to intercede with Indian authorities in the case.

Earlier, a 16-member Italian parliamentary delegation arrived in India on a two-day visit (Jan 27-28) to express support and solidarity with the two marines.

"The death penalty would be an attack on Italy," Fabrizio Cicchitto, a delegate member and chairman of the parliament's lower house foreign affairs committee, said.

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
Earlier, a 16-member Italian parliamentary delegation arrived in India on a two-day visit (Jan 27-28) to express support and solidarity with the two marines.

"The death penalty would be an attack on Italy," Fabrizio Cicchitto, a delegate member and chairman of the parliament's lower house foreign affairs committee, said.
"The death penalty would be an attack on Italy" :rotfl:

So, what would Italy do ? What is it capable of ? What retribution can it offer ? Pomodoros ..? :lol:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles