News and Events - AUGUST 2009

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
NYC mom accused of burning girl, 6, in voodoo act

NYC mom accused of burning girl, 6, in voodoo act

2009-06-19 06:16:10 GMT2009-06-19 14:16:10 (Beijing Time) SINA.com

A New York City woman has been accused of burning her 6-year-old daughter during a voodoo ritual and then ignoring her cries for help and sending her to bed.

Prosecutors say Marie Lauradin poured a flammable liquid over her daughter during a Haitian practice known as Loa and made her stand naked in a ring of fire, engulfing her in flames.

Queens District Attorney Richard Brown says Lauradin and the girl's grandmother washed her and put her to bed despite life-threatening burns over 25 percent of her body. He says another relative found her the next day.

Lauradin was ordered held on $50,000 bail at Thursday's arraignment on assault and child endangerment charges related to the February 4 incident.
Defense attorney Jeff Cohen says she denies the allegations.

The grandmother faces a later arraignment.

The girl went into foster care
NYC mom accused of burning girl, 6, in voodoo act - World News - SINA English

some are really sick ..

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Tibetan Women Film Wins Emmy

Tibetan Women Film Wins Emmy

WASHINGTON—Tibetan women, once among the leaders of a national uprising against Chinese rule in Tibet, are now preserving Tibetan culture as refugees in India and other countries, according to a new documentary by British filmmaker Rosemary Rawcliffe.

“Women of Tibet: A Quiet Revolution,” produced by Frame of Mind Films, is the second film in a planned trilogy on the lives of Tibetan women.
It was awarded the 2009 Emmy in the historical/cultural special feature category in a May 16 ceremony in Northern California.

The first film in the trilogy, "Women of Tibet: Gyalyum Chemo, the Great Mother," focuses on the life of the mother of Tibet's exiled spiritual leader the Dalai Lama. A third film is in production.

“As a woman, I’ve been interested in women’s issues for as long as I can remember, [and] in particular the Tibetan issue,” Rawcliffe, a veteran independent filmmaker, said in an interview.

“I had semi-retired from making films,” Rawcliffe said. “What drew me in was the fact that there was a really strong story, an untold story, to tell.”
'Middle generation'

Combining archival footage with contemporary interviews, “A Quiet Revolution” first tells the story of the women—called “heroines” by the Dalai Lama in the film—whose March 1959 demonstration in the Tibetan capital, Lhasa, sparked an uprising against China’s occupation of Tibet.

It then moves on to look at the lives of what Rawcliffe called a “middle generation, who came of age rebuilding the community in exile.”

Some helped to found the Tibetan Children’s Village schools in India, where they worked to provide a modern education still rooted in Tibetan culture.
Others, after careers in teaching, went into politics.

Eleven out of 46 members of the parliament and cabinet in Tibet’s Dharamsala, India-based government in exile are now women, the film points out.

Rawcliffe said that there is now a third generation of younger Tibetan women “who have never been to Tibet, who know Tibet only through their parents or grandparents.”

“And they’ll never know Tibet as it used to be, of course, but are expected in some way to carry the cultural legacy.”

Rawcliffe said the women profiled in the film “carry the model forward of being very strong while still maintaining their compassion and their ability to be women.”

This is a “great lesson” for the West, she said.

Speaking in an interview, Kesang Wangdu—president of the Regional Tibetan Women’s Association in Minnesota—praised Rawcliffe’s film, saying, “It really tells the story from the beginning to the end.”

Wangdu saw the film first at a meeting of Tibetan women in Dharamsala, India, she said. She then brought a copy back to Minnesota, where she showed it to the local Tibetan community.

“They really liked it,” Wangdu said.
A leading role

Women play important roles in the preservation of any culture, said Wangdu, who came to the United States about 12 years ago from Nepal, where she was born to parents who had escaped from Tibet.

“In Tibetan culture, as a woman, you teach your children to respect the family, and to respect elders and cultural dress,” she said.
Wangdu said that there are now teachers of Tibetan dance, as well as classes for the study of traditional music, in her area.

She added that the local Tibetan community—with 3,000 members, the second-largest in the United States after New York—continues to observe traditional holidays.

Women play “a leading role” in these observances, she said.
Rawcliffe noted that the 2009 Emmy awarded to “Women of Tibet: A Quiet Revolution” comes in the year marking the 50th anniversary of the Lhasa uprising.

“And it reminds Tibetans, as well as informs Westerners, that Tibet is alive and working towards its self-determination, and reminds Tibetans inside Tibet that they’re not forgotten.”

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Spanish humanist who worked with India's poor dies

Spanish humanist who worked with India's poor dies

MADRID (AP) Vicente Ferrer, a revered Spanish humanist who founded a vast network of schools, clinics and other programs to help destitute people in India, died on Friday. He was 89.

Ferrer's foundation says the former Jesuit died in Anantapur, the Indian city where he had lived for the past 40 years.

Ferrer suffered a blood clot on the brain in March, had been ill ever since and died of cardio-respiratory failure, the Fundacion Vicente Ferrer.

Ferrer and his Rural Development Trust operated in the southeastern Indian state of Andrah Pradesh, and he was seen as practically a messiah by poor people and Dalits, or ``untouchables,'' in the underdeveloped, drought-prone Antantapur district.

The trust ran development projects that focused on education, housing, women, health, agriculture and people with disabilities. The network is now spread over nearly 2,300 towns and benefits 2.5 million people of the Dalit community and other people at the lowest rungs of the Hindu caste system, the foundation said.

``He was a saintly figure who adopted the most backward part of the state for welfare and development work. He will be remembered forever by the people of Anantapur,'' said N.K. Singh, the Anantapur district police chief.

T. Chiranjeevulu, head of the district administration, said ``his work benefited not less than 700,000 families over the last 50 years.''

Ferrer was also a living legend in his native Spain. Madrid and other cities have streets named after him, and this year the government gave Ferrer one of its highest honors, the Grand Cross of Civil Merit.

He was known popularly as San Vicente Ferrer, ``San'' meaning saint.

``I am convinced that not a single good action is lost in this world. Some place it will remain forever,'' Ferrer once said, according to the foundation's Web site.

Ferrer is survived by three children and British-born widow Anne Ferrer, and will be buried Monday in Anantapur in the courtyard of a hospital his foundation built.

The Hindu News Update Service

RIP

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Govt. officer thrashed by Akali workers

Govt. officer thrashed by Akali workers

Ludhiana (PTI) A Government officer was attacked allegedly by a group of Akali workers armed with swords, sticks and base bat here on Friday.

Ludhiana Sub Registrar Revenue (central) G S Benipal who received several serious injuries was immediately taken to a hospital.

According to eye witness account the attackers attached to a group of the ruling Akali party led by Simarjit Singh Bains, president of the Ludhiana district Youth Akali Dal not only reportedly physically assaulted the officer who is a retired Major from the Army, but also stripped him stark naked.

He had to be covered with a cloth sheet provided by a tea stall owner inside the premises of the Tehsil situated on the Ludhiana-Malerkotla road near village Gill.

According to another eye witness, the mob left the officer only after they thought that he was dead. Not a single part of his body has been left untouched and he was bruised from head to toe.

Matters took an ugly turn when after the departure of Jail Minister Hira Singh Gabria from his office another Akali worker belonging to a camp opposed to Mr. Gabria came out with an allegation that he had been insulted and addressed by his caste by the Sub Registrar and caused a hurt to his sentiments.

He also summoned his friends to reach the Sub Registrar Office immediately.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
he was ex jesuit .. who are basically Roman catholics ..

He arrived in India in 1952 as a jesuit missionary and was expelled in 1968 by the Indian authorities who were suspicious of his activities.

When he returned a year later, however, the then prime minister, Indira Gandhi, granted his a visa so that he could continue his philanthropic work in the poverty-stricken state of Andhra.

He really did lot of good work and people from all religions have benefitted by that ..

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
militants behead afgan students

Militants behead Afghan university student

2009-06-19 13:17:26 GMT2009-06-19 21:17:26 (Beijing Time) xinhuanet

KABUL, June 19 (Xinhua) -- Several armed militants entered the compound of Kandahar University in south Afghanistan Friday and after beheading a student took away another.

"The gruesome incident occurred at 11:00 a.m. local time when several unknown armed militants entered the compound while students were enjoying weekly holiday (Friday) in the garden of university and horribly beheaded Mushtaq Ahmad and took away another," Ahmad Shah a student of the university told Xinhua.

The terrified Shah added that Mushtaq was a student of grade fourth of medical faculty of Kandahar university.

This is the first time that militants attack higher educational institutions in the country.

Police officials at the site did not put finger at any particular groups, saying the enemies of peace a term used against Taliban militants are behind such barbaric acts.

Taliban fighters who have vowed to intensify activities this year in Afghanistan have not made comment so far.

Militants behead Afghan university student - World News - SINA English

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Russian teen father kills four-month-old baby for crying

Russian teen father kills four-month-old baby for crying
20:3819/06/2009

MOSCOW, July 19 (RIA Novosti) - An 18-year-old man from near Moscow has been charged with killing his four-month-old son for crying too much, the Rosbalt news agency said.

According to preliminary information, the father, from the town of Pushkino, severely beat the baby over its constant crying. The baby was taken to hospital on June 7 and died two days later.

Almost 2,000 children met violent deaths at the hands of adults in Russia in 2008.

In addition, almost 50% of all sexual crimes in Russia were committed against children and every third victim of rape was a minor.

Russian teen father kills four-month-old baby for crying | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
French mother jailed for 8 years in 'case of frozen babies'

French mother jailed for 8 years in 'case of frozen babies'
www.holamun2.com12:0919/06/2009

PARIS, June 19 (RIA Novosti) - A French court has sentenced a woman to eight years in jail for killing three babies she gave birth to in secret, hiding two of the bodies in the freezer of her family home, local media said.

The court in Tours, central France, found Veronique Courjault, 41, guilty of burning the body of a child born in France in 1999 and strangling two other children born in 2002 and 2003 while the family lived in South Korea.

The woman hid two bodies in the freezer in their family home in Seoul. Her husband, Jean-Louis, found the bodies in July 2006 while Veronique and the couple's two children, now aged 12 and 14, were on vacation in France.

The father informed South Korean police of the chilling discovery and was allowed to join his family after giving DNA evidence to investigators.

The couple initially insisted that bodies were not their own children, but Veronique later confessed in court that she had been pregnant three times without her husband's knowledge and hid the fact behind flowing clothes.

Prosecutors sought a 10-year sentence but the court announced an eight-year jail term on Thursday as experts said Veronique suffered from the syndrome of denial of pregnancy.

The woman will spend only five years in jail as she had been in custody for three years during the investigation.

The husband endorsed the light sentence saying that it "will allow us to rebuild, to make out the light at the end of the tunnel."

"It's clear that Veronique's actions were absolutely not calculated. For me, she's ill," he added.

French mother jailed for 8 years in 'case of frozen babies' | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire

J

JattDaDanda

My sympathies to the families of the 2 students. This is very shameful act commited by the savages. I hope the savages who commited this crime get killed in firefight or get a JDAM up in there ARSE.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Thirty-two killed in eastern Congo clashes

Thirty-two killed in eastern Congo clashes
Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:59am EDT

KINSHASA (Reuters) - Thirty-two people have been killed in three days of fighting in eastern Congo between government soldiers and Rwandan Hutu rebels backed by Congolese militia allies, a top army officer said on Friday.

Clashes broke out late on Wednesday when gunmen overran army positions near the town of Nyabiondo, around 110 km (70 miles) northwest of Goma, the provincial capital of North Kivu, in Democratic Republic of Congo's volatile eastern borderlands.

Government troops, who with United Nations backing are waging an offensive against the Rwandan rebel Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), retook the positions during an early morning counter-attack on Friday.

"There were 27 dead on the enemy side ... These were FDLR and their allies, according to our information," Colonel Bobo Kakudji, the army's operations commander for North Kivu, told Reuters, adding that five government soldiers were also killed.

Congo's U.N. peacekeeping mission, MONUC, could not confirm the death toll given by the army.

A military spokesman for the peacekeepers said they believed Wednesday's attack was led by a 1,000-strong Congolese militia, dissatisfied that it had not yet been integrated into the army following a January peace deal.

That agreement is under strain because of the failure of the latest efforts to bring rival factions into a united army.

The Hutu rebels, some of whom orchestrated Rwanda's 1994 genocide in which some 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus were killed, are seen as a root cause of over a decade of violence in eastern Congo that has left an estimated 5.4 million dead.

Anti-rebel operations began after a deal between Congo and Rwanda, but they have had little impact on the FDLR's estimated 6,000-strong fighting force.
Thirty-two killed in eastern Congo clashes | International | Reuters

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Obama wants men to be better fathers than his own

Obama wants men to be better fathers than his own

WASHINGTON (AP): Barack Obama got a basketball, his first name and ambition from his father. Little else.

The son gave back more than he received: a lifetime of ruminations about the man who abandoned the family, a memoir named ``Dreams from My Father,'' and endless reflections on his own successes and shortcomings as a parent of Sasha, 8, and Malia, 10.

As a candidate and now president, he's been telling men what sort of father they should be. It's become his Father's Day ritual and he's not shy about it.

He's asking American men to be better fathers than his own.

The president showcased fatherhood in a series of events and a magazine article in advance of Father's Day. He said he came to understand the importance of fatherhood from its absence in his childhood homes _ just as an estimated 24 million Americans today are growing up without a dad.

Fathers run deep in the political culture as they do everywhere else, for better and worse. Michelle Obama has said many times how her late dad, Fraser, is her reference point and rock _ she checks in with him, in her mind, routinely, and at important moments.

Obama's presidential rival, John McCain, called his own memoirs ``Faith of My Fathers,'' tracing generations of high-achieving scamps. The father-son presidencies of the George Bushes were bookends on Bill Clinton, whose father drowned in a ditch before he was born and whose stepfather was an abusive alcoholic nicknamed Dude.

A Kenyan goatherder-turned-intellectual who clawed his way to scholarships and Harvard, Barack Hussein Obama Sr. left a family behind to get his schooling in the U.S.. He started another family here, then left his second wife and 2-year-old Barack Jr. to return to Africa with another woman.

His promise flamed out in Africa after stints working for an oil company and the government; he fell into drink and died in a car crash when his son was 21, a student at Columbia University.

``I don't want to be the kind of father I had,'' the president is quoted as telling a friend in a new book about him.

His half-sister, Maya, called his memoirs ``part of the process of excavating his father.''

Obama now cajoles men to be better fathers _ not the kind who must be unearthed in the soul.

His finger-wagging is most pointed when addressing other black men, reflecting years of worry about the fabric of black families and single mothers, but it applies to everyone.

Father's Day 2007: ``Let's admit to ourselves that there are a lot of men out there that need to stop acting like boys; who need to realize that responsibility does not end at conception; who need to know that what makes you a man is not the ability to have a child but the courage to raise a child.''

Father's Day 2008: ``Any fool can have a child. That doesn't make you a father. It's the courage to raise a child that makes you a father.''

Father's Day 2009: ``We need to step out of our own heads and tune in. We need to turn off the television and start talking with our kids, and listening to them, and understanding what's going on in their lives.''

He doesn't hold himself out as the ideal dad. No driven politician can.

``I know I have been an imperfect father,'' he writes in Sunday's Parade magazine. ``I know I have made mistakes. I have lost count of all the times, over the years, when the demands of work have taken me from the duties of fatherhood.''

He volunteered for those demands, as all people do when they want power. His years as a community organizer, Illinois lawmaker, U.S. senator and presidential candidate often kept him apart from family.

At the same time, he went to great lengths in the 2008 campaign to find time with his girls and wife, and now considers the routine family time one of the joys of living and working in the White House.

The new book ``Renegade'' by Richard Wolffe recounts strains in the marriage early this decade, arising from his absences and from what Michelle Obama apparently considered his selfish careerism at the time. The author interviewed the Obamas, friends and associates.

Obama himself attributed his ``fierce ambitions'' to his dad while crediting his mother _ a loving but frequently absent figure _ with giving him the means to pursue them.

``Someone once said that every man is trying to either live up to his father's expectations or make up for his father's mistakes,'' he once wrote, ``and I suppose that may explain my particular malady as well as anything else.'' By malady, he meant the will to achieve.

Obama was a schoolboy in Hawaii when his father came back to visit. He gave his dad a tie. His father gave him a basketball and African figurines and came to his class to speak about Kenya. He was an impressive, mysterious figure whom Obama found compelling, volatile and vaguely threatening.

The visit took a sour turn when Obama went to watch ``How the Grinch Stole Christmas'' and his father made him shut off the TV, saying he watched too much. Obama slammed the bedroom door; a loud argument ensued among grown-ups.

Not the quality time Obama has in mind in asking dads to turn off the TV now.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
8-yr-old booked under goonda Act

8-yr-old booked under goonda Act
21 Jun 2009, 0130 hrs IST, AGENCIES

LUCKNOW: An eight-year-old boy has been booked under the Goonda Act -- a tough anti-gangster law -- in Uttar Pradesh. The police on Saturday
promised an inquiry into the matter.

Jagannath, a resident of Baghauli village in Hardoi district, was booked under the law about four months ago after his family was involved in a row with a neighbour. The Goonda Act provides for preventive detention up to three months and imposes stringent conditions for bail.

"I want the police and district administration to take up the case at the earliest so that my son gets justice," Jagannath's father Rajju said after submitting an application for revoking of the order at the office of the sub divisional magistrate (SDM) in Hardoi, about 110 km from here.

When contacted, Additional Superintendent of Police Govind Agarwal expressed surprise over the incident.

"An immediate inquiry will be conducted in this matter and action would be taken against the erring policemen," Agarwal said.

8-yr-old booked under goonda Act - India - The Times of India

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Real life ‘Bunty Aur Babli’ couple held for cheating Archies

Real life ‘Bunty Aur Babli’ couple held for cheating Archies

June 21st, 2009 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS -

New Delhi, June 21 (IANS) A Darjeeling-based couple did a “Bunty Aur Babli” on two Archies outlets in the capital, conning them in the style of the hit Bollywood movie. The accused couple has been arrested, police said Sunday.

Sushant Dhillon, 38, and his wife Kajal, 28, were arrested Saturday for allegedly cheating Archies galleries in Connaught Place and Jwala Heri markets.

They were arrested after a complaint by Sumit Pal Soni, who runs the Archies Gallery in Connaught Place, in central Delhi.

Police said Sushant last month approached Soni as a manufacturer of plastic photo frames and offered an attractive price of Rs.18 per piece.

“Two days later, Kajal with an intention to cheat Soni went to the shop as a prospective buyer from Darjeeling. She showed interest in photo frames and ordered 2,000 photo frames at the rate of Rs.34 per piece. Kajal paid an advance of Rs.5,000,” said a police officer.

Lured by heavy profit, the shop owner ordered photo frames from Sushant and also paid him Rs.31,000 in advance for the supply.

“On Sushant’s demand, Soni paid him Rs.31,000 for the supply. But Kajal did not turn up to buy the goods ordered,” the officer said.

The accused in their interrogation confessed having used the same modus operandi a few months ago to dupe Manoj Malik, who runs Archies Gallery in Jwala Heri market of west Delhi.

youngindian

Country flag
Germany funds €15 million project in Tripura

News : Germany funds €15 million project in Tripura

June 18, 2009

Germany has decided to provide €15 million for a project in India’s north eastern state of Tripura. The project is aimed at socio-economic development of tribals and conservation of natural resources in the state.

For the project, the German Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) has committed €12 million for financial cooperation and up to €3 million for technical cooperation. The six-year long project titled ‘Participatory Natural Resources Management in Tripura’ was flagged off by Tripura’s Chief Minister Manik Sarkar June 12 at Ambassa, 110 kilometres north of the state capital Agartala. The Acting German Ambassador to India, Christian Matthias Schlaga was the chief guest at the event.
The aim of the project is to improve the natural resource conditions supporting livelihoods of primarily forest dependent communities. The project will be cover 343,100 hectares in 100 villages in the Dhalai and North Tripura districts.

The German government has charged development bank, KFW, with the financial cooperation of the project and the technical assistance will be provided by the German Technical Cooperation (GTZ). Government of Tripura will act as Project Executing Agency and carry out implementation.

The project took shape with the Government of Tripura approaching the German Government with a proposal in 2003. The financing agreement was signed at New Delhi on May 21, 2008 between the KFW and the Government of India.

In October 2008, India and Germany celebrated 50 years of development cooperation. On the occasion, the German Development Minister Heidemarie Wieczorek-Zeul and then Indian Finance Minister P. Chidambaram released the strategy framework for Indo-German development cooperation. The paper outlined the guiding principles and priority areas of bilateral cooperation between the two countries in the coming years.

The strategic framework acknowledged India’s growing economic and geopolitical importance and its crucial role in the solution of global structural problems. It stated that Indian and Germany will further enhance the scope of their partnership based on shared principles and common interests. The two sides shortlisted three priority areas of energy, environment and sustainable economic development for cooperation.

Indo-German development co-operation started in 1958 with two of India’s most important technology initiatives – setting up the Rourkela steel plant and the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras. Since 1958, cooperation has diversified into longstanding and fruitful partnership in important sectors, such as health, infrastructure development, rural development, poverty alleviation, economic reforms, consumer protection, environmental protection, small industries development and others.

Indo-German development cooperation today focuses on three priority areas: Energy, environment and sustainable economic development. Development cooperation activities range from supporting cooperative banking reform and introducing social security schemes to projects on energy efficiency. Beyond the importance of funding, innovative ideas, know-how and capacity building play a key role today. After negotiations in 2008, Germany committed a total of €364 million for projects in energy, environment protection and microfinance.

NikSha

HIV+ woman paraded in Jamnagar govt hospital

FFS :sad:

TOI

RAJKOT: An HIV positive woman was branded as one at a government hospital in Jamnagar on Saturday and paraded through the wards to warn other patients about her status.

Nurses at the Guru Govind Singh Hospital stuck a label that read 'HIV Serum positive' on her forehead. Labels are pasted on foreheads of dead bodies after post-mortem examination.

For the woman in her mid-20s, who is a resident of Jamnagar, the trauma came immediately after the shock of getting to know that she is HIV positive and then going through an abortion so that her baby is not born with the deadly virus.
The woman had come to the gynaecology department for a check-up on Wednesday. Tests confirmed that she was HIV positive and doctors advised her to terminate the pregnancy, which was done.

On Saturday, she met the gynaecology department head Dr Nalini Anand. After going through her reports, the doctor told her to stay away from other patients and told the nurses about her health condition.

The nurses pasted the label on her forehead and took her around the hospital campus. It was mid-way through the parade that volunteers of 'Jamnagar District Network of People Living With HIV' noticed her. They immediately took up the matter with hospital superintendent Dr Arun Vyas.

Expressing shock over the incident, health minister Jay Narayan Vyas told TOI that he had instituted an inquiry and asked two doctors and a nurse to proceed on leave till completion of the inquiry.

TOI has learnt that the two doctors under scrutiny are Nalini Anand and Dipti Joshi and the nurse is Prafula Parmar.

The NGO took the victim out of the hospital and she is at present with her husband, who is also HIV positive. “She is traumatised and told us she does not want to live any more now that everyone knows the truth,” said the NGO's head Preeti Chavda.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Crocodile causes helicopter crash

Crocodile causes helicopter crash

The pilot took drastic action after realising help was a long way away
A helicopter pilot in Australia became so excited when he spotted a crocodile that he flew in for a closer look - and crashed into mudflats.

He suffered minor injuries, but his passenger was seriously hurt in the crash near the northern city of Darwin.

Concerned that his friend could catch hypothermia, the pilot buried him in sand before raising the alarm.

Medical officials said doctors thought the man was dead - until they saw his head moving in the sand.

Air-ambulance operator Careflight said in a statement that the pilot had been flying along the Dundee Beach, 60km (37 miles) from Darwin, when he tried to turn to look at a crocodile.

"The pilot said after starting the turn the next thing he remembered was being upside down in the mud," the statement said.

"The pilot dragged his passenger to the safety of the shore, away from crocodiles, then buried the man in the sand up to his neck in an attempt to prevent his companion from developing hypothermia."

The pilot then used his satellite phone to alert emergency services.
Ian Badham, director of Careflight, said the case was "bizarre".

"A doctor thought initially the passenger was dead as he was buried in sand," Mr Badham said.

"It turned out that the pilot had realised it might take rescue services until daylight to actually get there."

Mr Badham said the passenger was being treated in hospital for head, chest and arm injuries.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles