New DRDO projects

Enquirer

This is the new unidentified launcher system for an unidentified missile which I had alluded to previously.

It has a 4 celled single cannister , which can be reloaded using the same launcher , no need of a additional missile reloading vehicle.
The only 4-celled launcher is Nirbhay.......

porky_kicker

Country flag
What is its cell size?

Please enter a message with at least 30 characters.
Size don't know , all I know is that the total payload weight is around 4 tons. So each missile < 1 ton.

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
Seems like a centre line single hydraulic lift system. And 4 Nirbhay would mean around 6 tons. But this is a 5 ton system if I am right.
If you look closely , you will see 2 hydraulic arms at either sides.

The interesting thing about this launcher system is - it can traverse from 90 degree to 0 degree so that individual missile cannisters can be pushed into the 4 cells of the launch container from ground horizontally. This eliminates the use of a hydraulic crane and makes reloading much easier.

Reactions: Kay

porky_kicker

Country flag
maybe for shorad's or any in the works SAM (like SFDR )?
In the pics it is not shown , but there is a telescopic mast with microwave communication antenna just like in Brahmos TEL.

Interestingly VL MICA has a somewhat similar looking launcher. Maybe Maitri ? But QRSAM eliminated the need of Maitri and the project was cancelled AFAIK. Or possibly drdo was inspired from the same.

I don't know for sure , only time will tell.

Chinmoy

Country flag
In the pics it is not shown , but there is a telescopic mast with microwave communication antenna just like in Brahmos TEL.

Interestingly VL MICA has a somewhat similar looking launcher. Maybe Maitri ? But QRSAM eliminated the need of Maitri and the project was cancelled AFAIK. Or possibly drdo was inspired from the same.

I don't know for sure , only time will tell.
In all probability, this is QRSAM launcher. The QRSAM config is similar to that of SPYDER, 4 missile arrangement. This along with the quick field replenishment fits into QRSAM profile.

qrsam2_medium.jpg

porky_kicker

Country flag
In all probability, this is QRSAM launcher. The QRSAM config is similar to that of SPYDER, 4 missile arrangement. This along with the quick field replenishment fits into QRSAM profile.

View attachment 34415
I doubt it because , QRSAM is not a vertical launch system ( 90 degree vertical launch angle ). It is basically a point and shoot launcher to cut down time to attack hostiles.

7265184_qr3_jpegbbd85900d4389f1609a25c2f901b2d95.jpeg

7265176_qr7_jpeg21d805d1bdf83fd9a15ab99d4f061e5c.jpeg

7265177_qr6_jpeg0a5b2b4fe4cdf8ba3942ba0ed314355f.jpeg

QRSAM launches in a inclined angle < 90 degrees ( variable firing angle within a given firing arc )

While the firing position of the unidentified launcher is 90 degree ( vertical launch ) only. For reloading only it is inclined to 0 degree.

Anyways let's see , I prefer to keep all options open.

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
Yes... A Desi Spyder launcher is a possibility.
Just for the sake of conversation , I will bet on a surface to surface veriant of either SANT or RUDRAM. Maybe a extended version of the same with a booster for long range kill of hostile armour , bunkers etc like spike ER on steroids.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles