New DRDO projects

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag

Scrutator

If it eats more than it gives, it won't be used as weapon.

KALI itself isn't a weapon, India needs and studying weapon a weapon as powerful as KALI which isn't bulky, won't require such high cooling & maintenance & can be mounted on ships.

What will be the advantage of KALI it takes hours after firing ones? If it can't be easily transported. Military needs mobility man! That's why they don't ask for PSLV but Agni 5.

I just say it isn't KALI. A 1,000kW directed energy weapon.
You, you just want it in military ignoring every serious limitation.
I am not married to any name either! I am interested in EMP/uWave like technology. KALI is just a predecessor to what could/will come. I am not naive to suggest that it should be deployed in its current form (not sure why you keep bringing its teething problems!!). When Tejas was first unveiled (did not even fly but just taxied) everyone said it's a dud!!! That doesn't mean that the concept of fighter aircraft is obsolete or irrelevant!

Much beyond that you think. If US can beat lasers, not necessary that every country will. Posted about bigger ones on thread, besides Dazzler & Aditya, next one is 100kW.

India is going to start inducting them from 2024-25.
Ever heard of Durga?
Sure, they can dazzle the rowdy crowds during riots; look cute!!
I can see how you're excited about the razzle-dazzle. But serious weaponry is not coming out of the laser stable.

Have you even contemplated how a laser beam can be steadily focussed on the same spot (literally a spot of about few inches) for several seconds when the object is moving at hypersonic speeds??
Even US realized the impossibility of this and thought the best attack time would be the boost phase. So they mounted it on a 747 to seer the missile's fuel container just after its launch when the speed is minimal - and they still failed miserably!!

Completely civil project and that even "discussing". I know about a few more reactor programs.
Well, what was I saying then? Civil projects get discussed, defense projects don't. If Parrikar is reticent then there's a non-civil purpose!!!

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Well, what was I saying then? Civil projects get discussed, defense projects don't. If Parrikar is reticent then there's a non-civil purpose!!!
I meant by totally civil factor.
Details for AHWR or FBRs are usually kept behind curtain.

Scrutator

High level designs are discussed and papers presented! Of course, the detailed designs are a secret.

All I am saying is if someone is the government was asked if Cryogenic engine would be used in a missile, they would just say that it's for civilian space exploration purpose and no 'national security' clause would have been invoked. The time this kind of 'shield' was used was for ATV (a la Arihant). Further, the question probably would not have been even raised in the parliament if there weren't an inkling that it could be!

piKacHHu

Country flag
Well, there's a 'nuclear' option for everything - it would be wise not to use it though!!!
You cannot build a faraday cage around the entire aircraft/missile!! They'll need an outward looking radar/seeker/antenna at the minimum - which cannot be behind a Faraday cage (as you probably already learnt in your elementary school). That's how you attack them!
Every piece of technology starts out as something benign before it's weaponized (nuclear bomb being an exception!!)
Not sure how you fared on math in your last attended school (elementary that is); but a kiloton of nuclear explosion will not knock out the electronics of the entire country.
I fared much better dude not only in school but in engineering entrance and in college as well that's why I have seen KALI so many times IN REAL and I know people who work with it... so don't be a smartass as you are pretending .... The things you are saying are notional and fanboy imagination at best. It seems your logical reasoning has gone for toss when you thought I was suggesting building Faraday's cage around a missile/aircraft. Faraday's cage is used to protect electronic circuits crucial for control not the whole body. Based on your comments I think you had taken Matrix Trilogy too seriously and began to feel your expertise on EMP subject matter. I would suggest to go through some REAL literature (I mean Journals not wikipedia) and do some analysis that why EMP is not weaponized even though it was discovered much earlier than the LASER technology? Why the directed energy weapon program uses laser in most of the projects rather than EMP based systems? And to quote you specifically, how to knock out electronics of the entire country with EMP or any fancy weapon other than Nuclear explosion?

piKacHHu

Country flag
These are civil nuclear projects; most of the information is in public domain as these projects go through AERB approval process.. Radiation Impact assessment on public has to be done for them so they ought to churn out enough information for that projects. You may even find loads of information on the IAEA website through their tech docs.

Scrutator

I fared much better dude not only in school but in engineering entrance and in college as well that's why I have seen KALI so many times IN REAL and I know people who work with it...
I get it, you're an expert by association! You get to condescend on others because you have 'seen' things and 'know' people! Classic BS of worthless people!!

so don't be a smartass as you are pretending .... The things you are saying are notional and fanboy imagination at best. It seems your logical reasoning has gone for toss when you thought I was suggesting building Faraday's cage around a missile/aircraft.
The topic being discussed was air defense et al. And you suggested that DEW weapon employed can be defeated by Faraday cage. What gives?

Why the directed energy weapon program uses laser in most of the projects rather than EMP based systems? And to quote you specifically, how to knock out electronics of the entire country with EMP or any fancy weapon other than Nuclear explosion?
We'll try to put some samples of the newer development in technology on your drive to work, so you can claim to have 'seen' them. For you seeing is believing - who cares about knowing or worse understanding?

Perhaps with your divine power to 'see' and comprehend things, you could also add the skill to read. I have never stated any fancy idea about knocking out a country by EMP - it was your wild ass idea to explode a nuclear device above enemy territory to knock out their electronics! The topic of discussion was again air defense in which the required weapon will knock out a specific incoming aircraft/missile.

Even in fiction, there's never been the crazy idea of attacking an entire country with DEW - well, maybe I don't read your favorite comics!

Last edited:

piKacHHu

Country flag
We'll try to put some samples of the newer development in technology on your drive to work, so you can claim to have 'seen' them. For you seeing is believing - who cares about knowing or worse understanding?

Perhaps with your divine power to 'see' and comprehend things, you could also add the skill to read. I have never stated any fancy idea about knocking out a country by EMP - it was your wild ass idea to explode a nuclear device above enemy territory to knock out their electronics! The topic of discussion was again air defense in which the required weapon will knock out a specific incoming aircraft/missile.

Even in fiction, there's never been the crazy idea of attacking an entire country with DEW - well, maybe I don't read your favorite comics!
I appreciate your enthusiasm regarding EMP and I hope you can enlighten us more if you pursue this subject seriously rather than throwing insults, mud slinging, non technical crap et.al.. Now to restore decorum in the debate you need to put forward your arguments you feel compelling about EMP but before that these are the following facts about EMP and its weaponisation efforts:

An Electromagnetic Pulse is a broad term that can cover both natural and man-made events that would cause a burst of electromagnetic energy, but for the purposes of this article, we will be looking at the most dangerous types of EMPs, nuclear electromagnetic pulses (NEMP) and high altitude nuclear EMPs (HEMP).

A nuclear electromagnetic pulse attack is a burst of Electromagnetic radiation that occurs following the detonation of a nuclear weapon. While this type of attack would cause serious trouble for any country targeted by this kind of weaponry, in the classical sense of an EMP attack we are not talking about the stereotypical imagery of a mushroom cloud followed by a wave of destruction. No, an EMP attack doesn’t target a landmass but instead targets the air over a country.
http://offgridsurvival.com/emppreparedness/

The real danger comes from a nuclear weapon known as a high-altitude electromagnetic pulse (HEMP) device. Depending on the location of the detonation, and how powerful the device is, the effects of a HEMP would cause catastrophic damage to a country’s power grid and communications infrastructure.

So here is the argument in support of "the wild ass idea" which I was talking about. Believe it or not Nuclear EMPs are the most powerful EMPs. Apart from that, if you talk about other EMPs like high power microwave or burst X-rays, they need a huge set-up to generate a small pulse to be effective. Weaponisation is a Big issue that's why the argument of using a small nuclear device which can cause more damage as compared to Marx generator based DEWs (I hope you know some basic about Beam generator and Linear Accelerators) gained much credence in Pulse & Accelerator Technology. However it is not completely useless as this setup KALI is used to test device protection devices used against EMPs... Still a long way to go till we get a matured EMP based DEWs.

Scrutator

I appreciate your enthusiasm regarding EMP and I hope you can enlighten us more if you pursue this subject seriously rather than throwing insults, mud slinging, non technical crap et.al.. Now to restore decorum in the debate you need to put forward your arguments you feel compelling about EMP but before that these are the following facts about EMP and its weaponisation efforts:

An Electromagnetic Pulse is a broad term that can cover both natural and man-made events that would cause a burst of electromagnetic energy, but for the purposes of this article, we will be looking at the most dangerous types of EMPs, nuclear electromagnetic pulses (NEMP) and high altitude nuclear EMPs (HEMP).

A nuclear electromagnetic pulse attack is a burst of Electromagnetic radiation that occurs following the detonation of a nuclear weapon. While this type of attack would cause serious trouble for any country targeted by this kind of weaponry, in the classical sense of an EMP attack we are not talking about the stereotypical imagery of a mushroom cloud followed by a wave of destruction. No, an EMP attack doesn’t target a landmass but instead targets the air over a country.
http://offgridsurvival.com/emppreparedness/

The real danger comes from a nuclear weapon known as a high-altitude electromagnetic pulse (HEMP) device. Depending on the location of the detonation, and how powerful the device is, the effects of a HEMP would cause catastrophic damage to a country’s power grid and communications infrastructure.

So here is the argument in support of "the wild ass idea" which I was talking about. Believe it or not Nuclear EMPs are the most powerful EMPs. Apart from that, if you talk about other EMPs like high power microwave or burst X-rays, they need a huge set-up to generate a small pulse to be effective. Weaponisation is a Big issue that's why the argument of using a small nuclear device which can cause more damage as compared to Marx generator based DEWs (I hope you know some basic about Beam generator and Linear Accelerators) gained much credence in Pulse & Accelerator Technology. However it is not completely useless as this setup KALI is used to test device protection devices used against EMPs... Still a long way to go till we get a matured EMP based DEWs.
Ok, Dr.Strangelove!!! We're going in different tangents; not sure there's confluence!

I am talking about DIRECTED energy weapons (more specifically particle beams and possibly EMPs) for air/ballistic defense, and you're focused on offensive non-directed nuclear explosions. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it's wise to do!

I think we both agree on one thing that it's a long way to go before directed energy weapons are weaponized in any serious fashion. KALI is just one learning/stepping stone!

Shadow

Country flag
@DRDO_India's Rudra M-II is a new air to surface missile under development at a cost of just under Rs 500 crores since 2016.

source:indiandefencereview.com

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles