New ASW Aircraft Is Revealed

SHASH2K2

I wonder how this will affect Vietnam. They just bought 6 kilos from Russia , as I recall.
If I know well kilos are not that noisy platforms . I would really like to know the capability of ASW plane. upto what depth it can detect the subs and how much ammunition it can carry ? I am really waiting for an article that talks about real capability rather than singing praises. Hope I get one with at least basic specifications .

cir

The Y-8 Category III is a temporary platform for the ASW craft, which will be replaced by a special version of the C919 when it is ready after 2016....the way Boeing 737 is used for P8 to replace the P3C...:rofl:

J20!

Country flag

That radar under the nose is MASSIVE. If its an AESA, it's bound to have a tremendous 360 degree range... Awesome!

J20!

Country flag
And to all those saying this is a P3C orion copy, I think you'll agree it's a closer match to this airframe:

1. The tail structure matches
2. The wings are mounted high on the airframe

As opposed to this:

1. Its wings are mounted low on the fuselage.
2. The tail form is not similar
3. The nose structure is completely disimilar, even if the large radar is accounted for.

The Orion and this Chisese MPA are not related, even though they share the same configuration.

And even accounting for the Hainan Island incedent, Pakistan operates the P3C, dont you think we could have had access to it if we wanted to reverse engineer it? Not even accounting for the fact that the P3C is a 70's platform?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
And to all those saying this is a P3C orion copy, I think you'll agree it's a closer match to this airframe:

1. The tail structure matches
2. The wings are mounted high on the airframe

As opposed to this:

1. Its wings are mounted low on the fuselage.
2. The tail form is not similar
3. The nose structure is completely disimilar, even if the large radar is accounted for.

The Orion and this Chisese MPA are not related, even though they share the same configuration.

And even accounting for the Hainan Island incedent, Pakistan operates the P3C, dont you think we could have had access to it if we wanted to reverse engineer it? Not even accounting for the fact that the P3C is a 70's platform?
J20,
This pic is posted here in this thread only, It sad to see you are still trying to cover up yet another copy by your country or you are making a simple error ?

Compare with this now..

Why compare with Y-9 transport aircraft pic, Y-9 air frame in your country is used for many system and sub-system like AWACS and others, It is known that China did disassemble the captured aircraft and studied it, Your new ASW Aircraft sensor suit is very similar and updated as per available tech to what ever to 80`s P-3 Spy Version, Its not even close to recent IL-38SD ( The Electronic sensor over the aircraft ), Beside that radar below the aircraft is not large actually similar or smaller to IL-38`s, If a AESA equipped with your ASW aircraft its going to be large as smaller AESA is not good enough for C4I network hence no use..

Let me tell , You cannot take sensitive info from US manufactured aircraft, Most country who buy US hardware are not allowed to know deep technical knowledge abt its aircraft, US have software in every Aircraft which keep records and these records are latter inspected by US officials on regular basis, US don't allow modification in their aircraft too, If Pakistan wanted to give you the info abt their P-3 Orions data structure and its sub systems or F-16 block 60 the US will Ban sales on them so does the help ( As for Pakistan China is a insurance but that is a OT ), That`s why China don`t have the deep tech access abt US aircrafts in Pakistan..

ice berg

If I know well kilos are not that noisy platforms . I would really like to know the capability of ASW plane. upto what depth it can detect the subs and how much ammunition it can carry ? I am really waiting for an article that talks about real capability rather than singing praises. Hope I get one with at least basic specifications .
I doubt you will get one, any time soon. Not state of the art, but enough to get the job done.

J20!

Country flag
J20,
This pic is posted here in this thread only, It sad to see you are still trying to cover up yet another copy by your country or you are making a simple error ?

Compare with this now..

Why compare with Y-9 transport aircraft pic, Y-9 air frame in your country is used for many system and sub-system like AWACS and others, It is known that China did disassemble the captured aircraft and studied it, Your new ASW Aircraft sensor suit is very similar and updated as per available tech to what ever to 80`s P-3 Spy Version, Its not even close to recent IL-38SD ( The Electronic sensor over the aircraft ), Beside that radar below the aircraft is not large actually similar or smaller to IL-38`s, If a AESA equipped with your ASW aircraft its going to be large as smaller AESA is not good enough for C4I network hence no use..

Let me tell , You cannot take sensitive info from US manufactured aircraft, Most country who buy US hardware are not allowed to know deep technical knowledge abt its aircraft, US have software in every Aircraft which keep records and these records are latter inspected by US officials on regular basis, US don't allow modification in their aircraft too, If Pakistan wanted to give you the info abt their P-3 Orions data structure and its sub systems or F-16 block 60 the US will Ban sales on them so does the help ( As for Pakistan China is a insurance but that is a OT ), That`s why China don`t have the deep tech access abt US aircrafts in Pakistan..
This is an AVIC (Aviation Industry Corporation of China) model for their Y9 transport:

This, is a pic of the Y9 transport prototype:

This is a pic of Y9 based AWACS prototypes:

This, is a pic of the Y9 based ASW prototype, which we have been discussing:

Now if you keep insisting that this ASW airframe is a copy of this airframe, despite their very obvious differences, then either the Chinese are really terrible at reverse engineering, or you're being deliberately argumentative and ignoring authentic proof:

And if this MPA is a P3C Orion copy, as you say, then the Y9 transport is a P3C copy, because they share a basic airframe, you can even see that the MPA's rear section was designed to accomodate a loading ramp, but has been modified to accomodate an MAD.

And how exactly do you know what this PROTOTYPES sensor suite is? How do you know it is based on a P3C Orion's? How do you know what the purpose of disassembling the spy plane was? How do you know it wasn't an attempt to find whatever intel the Americans had gathered(that by the way the crew tried to destroy before they were forced to land on Hainan)? How do you know it doesn't match or exceed the performance IL-38SD's sensor suite?

The answer is you DO NOT AND CANNOT KNOW the answer to any of these questions, you're only saying what you wish were true. No one knows the answers to those questions except the plane's developers and its future customers.

We on forums can only speculate, and I'm sorry, but saying that HUGE radar under the nose is useless is just not true. The surface surch radar on an f18C/D has a range of over 200km when targeting surface vessels and it isn't even an AESA. The MONSTER on this ASW MPA, is bound to have a range much, much larger than that, especially if its an AESA, admit it, you know its true.

And by the way, this is where that diagram you posted was derived:

Last edited:

shiphone

Country flag
Y-8Q / High Tech-6 project has been commissioned for quite a while ...recently the defense magazine <Naval and Merchant Ships> revealed the image of the plane with the standard Gray Blue coating in PLAN service for the first time ever to confirm this officially...

shot by civilians ...

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles