New ASW Aircraft Is Revealed

aimarraul

It was rumored that a much-needed ASW variant of Y-8 (Y-8Q/High New 6?) similar to American P-3C has been under development since 2007, but it has yet to enter the service with PLAN. The aircraft is believed to be based on Y-8 Catagory III Platform with a fully pressurized cabin, four 6-blade high efficiency blades and horizontal tailplanes with small vertical stabilizers. It also features a large chin radome housing a surface search radar and a FLIR turret underneath the forward fuselage. A pair of MAWS sensors are installed on both sides of its nose cone. A series of antennas are seen on top of forward fuselage and underneath the rear fuselage for communication and ELINT purpose. Two pairs of RWR antennas are installed at the tip of the vertical tailfin. The most noticeable feature of Y-8Q is a MAD sting on its tail. Its lower fuselage in the mid-section of the aircraft has been modified extensively to house an internal bomb bay for carrying light torpedos even AShMs. Two large windows are seen in the rear fuselage for observation purpose. Currently at least two Y-8Q prototype have been built by SAC.

Last edited:

cir

China's P3-C

Let's have several dozens of these babies for starters.

If my memory serves, one of our Indian friends was wondering why China is NOT focused on ASW...now...:rofl:

Let me repeat: more goodies are in the pipeline. 2012 is gonna be a very interesting year all round and year 2013.....bla bla

cir

i expect to see flying boom refueling system next year8)
If I am allowed to cite just one example, it has to be Y-20, for the workhorse can be put to so many uses.:thumb:

cir

GX (High New)series

GX-1

GX-2

GX-3

GX-4

GX-5

GX-6

GX-7

GX-8

and for completeness sake

Last edited:

cir

Other "rumoured"platforms are for submarine data relay,airborne laser weapons and a new generation electronic intelligence gathering

indian_sukhoi

Normally i try to avoid these kind of arguments, Brings the debate to a Dead End. If you want to talk about JSOW weapons then start a new topic called "China PLA JSOW and other Standoff missiles", but dont keep posting whatever u want to.

Now i ask some few questions over this topic, answer them sensibly and stick to the topic. Lets start again!!

Do you beleive PLA new ASW Aircrafts are completly Indegenious?
Are they anyway related to P-3C?
How do you compare PLA ASW against P-3C and IL-38s?
Do you have any detail info about its ASW sensors?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Several new ASW platforms developed for PLAAN. I wonder when they'll decide for models to continue in new production. But again China has enormous coastline to keep in control so maybe different designs are preferred.

I wait to hear about infrared countermeasures, if any on these new aircrafts.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
[h=1]Hainan Island incident[/h]
On April 1, 2001, a mid-air collision between a United States Navy EP-3E ARIES II signals intelligence aircraft and a People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) J-8II interceptor fighter jet resulted in an international dispute between the United States and thePeople's Republic of China (PRC) called the Hainan Island incident.
The EP-3 was operating about 70 miles (110 km) away from the PRC island province of Hainan, and about 100 miles (160 km) away from the Chinese military installation in the Paracel Islands, when it was intercepted by two J-8 fighters. A collision between the EP-3 and one of the J-8s caused the death of a PRC pilot, while the EP-3 was forced to make an emergency landing on Hainan.

U.S. Navy engineers said the EP-3 could be repaired in 8–12 months,but China refused to allow it to be flown off Hainan island. The disassembled aircraft was released on July 3, 2001, and was returned to the United States

Mission To Keep the Secrets - Military & Aerospace Electronics

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
^^Don't want to rain on your parade here, but isn't this thread about your ASW aircraft?
So far just a couple of posts about it.

A.V.

Curry guy please stay away from posting abuses this is not pakland forums from where you seem to have been bred and grown

All indian posters please dont target China as a country , with your posts because every country is to be respected irrespective of our differences , target the post .

J20!

Country flag
Cir, please stop posting Chinese achievements on an unrelated thread, you're just making all the Indian posters angry, let's stay on topic brother.

ice berg

I wonder how this will affect Vietnam. They just bought 6 kilos from Russia , as I recall.

Last edited:

Pintu

Mod Note:

With deep regret this is to inform that , this thread what was expected to be a hot bed for healthy, knowledgeable discussion, with information, simply turned into garbage of off topic, mud slinging, flame throwing , childish posts. We are astonished to see, that an Administrator's advice got unheeded, where it was suggested to counter post, with logic and argument but not attacking a specific country. It really hurts when senior members fall for the trap of derailment of topic, it really hurts when DFI's motto of friendship gets undermined. This is where the Team has decided to take Mod Action.

Instead of deleting the off topic posts left and right, and going harsher way of moderation, we have moved the Off Topic posts to the respective threads, which already exist.

1. Cir, your update about J-20's including images and test flights have been moved to : http://defenceforumindia.com/china-pakistan/17450-j20-news-updates-146.html , make sure, next time you post it right there.

2. Your post about Chinese launch of 2 satellites moved into: http://defenceforumindia.com/strategic-forces/327-space-talk-52.html, next time post it in there to avoid outright deletion of your posts.

3. The images including J-11 and wind tunnels and helo platforms , varyag moved into : http://defenceforumindia.com/milita...es-republic-china-military-part-1-2-a-94.html, trackwhack , you can find your posts there too. Next time cir, you will post those images right there.

4. Chinese development about Super Computers moved to : http://defenceforumindia.com/members-corner/6430-china-unveils-fastest-supercomputer-tianhe.html , off topic post here and there will be deleted.

5. nimo_cn and Sir W.G. Ewald's posts were moved to: http://defenceforumindia.com/global-defence/7285-story-behind-f-117-shoot-down.html, Sir, Ewald , you can find your post there. nimo, one more advice, leave the issue of importance of this forum to your fellow countrymen.

6. We are shocked to see, the on topic discussion of ASW aircraft had only miniscule no. of posts, and fellow members indulging into discussion, of whether all Chinese products are copy or not, Admin note had already pointed it out, but the members particularly Indian members failed to notice that, majority of the posts I must say overwhelming chunk, has fought for it, with thread veering of as unguided rockets, control of which is lost totally. If you really discuss this topic within the limitation of posting rules, then those posts were moved to: http://defenceforumindia.com/china-pakistan/19558-china-worlds-greatest-copycat-48.html , but with the condition of no mudslinging.

7. There flame posts, what about that, are we really educated enough to post those in net, or public domain which is frequented by thousand posters, what about of DFI, my appeal to both Indian and Chinese members and members irrespective of nationality, this forum belongs to you, and you are the back bone, now don't make this forum ridiculous to the visitors. I am not naming anybody, but what are you doing ? These posts were not upto DFI standards, hence were deleted.

8. To, the members, Cir, in particular, your failure to abide by the forum rules and repeated advice both from fellow Chinese members and Indian members to be on topic, simply distracted the thread, and you have failed to pay attention on Admin note, if this is repeated again, then we are sorry , that it will prompt us for Harsh action next time.

Red dragon, Sashank, defcon, ice berg , KB thanks for your notification.

We , here at the Defence Forum of India, encourage healthy discussion, informative arguments, giving equal value and importance to every member devoid of geo political boundary, sanning colour , cast and creed thus promoting Friendship bondage among the people who visits here, who don't know each, that is the lesson of Humanity which India, taught us for thousands of years, we try to uphold it, there we need your co operation.

Now everybody please back on the topic.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles