New Assault Rifles for Indian Army

Which Contender`s Rifle has more chances of winning than others?

• Total voters

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
I think Insas MK 1C rifle will be given non-infantry units while imported rifle will be given infantry units deployed at LOC.
no I think ofb...7.62*51 will be given..to non infantry units(it I will pass test)... otherwise mk1c..till of 7.62*51 ..qualifies

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
If army is buying 7.62x51mm assault rifles....then why do we need the Designated marksmen rifle?
We should replace it with 300 win mag.
And 338 and 50 bmg for long range sniping.

rkhanna

Country flag
If army is buying 7.62x51mm assault rifles....then why do we need the Designated marksmen rifle?
We should replace it with 300 win mag.
And 338 and 50 bmg for long range sniping.
A Battle Rifle , Designated Marksmen Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Long Range Sniper Rifle, Anti Material Rifle are all completely different from the ground up. The bullet calibre is only part of the equation.

Flame Thrower

A Battle Rifle , Designated Marksmen Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Long Range Sniper Rifle, Anti Material Rifle are all completely different from the ground up. The bullet calibre is only part of the equation.
Sirji totally agree on that, except Marksman rifle.

Marksman rifle needs 1-2 MOA, if I remember correctly then Dragunov has 1.2 MOA.

In some instances, we have used modified INSAS as DMRs. What stops us in doing same MODs to 7.62*51 rifles.

I'd add MMGs to what @tharun had said.

If 7.62*51 will become standard rifle, then Marksman and LMG/MMG will be out of the picture.

I am more worried about the weight of ammo and the gun.

For 100 rounds, the 7.62*51 ammo weighs nearly a 1kg more.

rkhanna

Country flag
Marksman rifle needs 1-2 MOA, if I remember correctly then Dragunov has 1.2 MOA.

In some instances, we have used modified INSAS as DMRs. What stops us in doing same MODs to 7.62*51 rifles.
Okay Agree. But my point is that the mod's are however are critical and for a DMR you are essentially rebuilding the rifle from the ground up. It needs to have the right barrel AND specialized ammo to make it a DMR. With diffferent ammo and a heavier barrel alot of things internal to the guns also change. Read the evolution of the SCAR Heavy to the SCAR DMR and/or the TAVOR STAR to the Regular TAR

ALso AFAIK it was the Insas LMG that was turned into a DMR and not the AR. - Lastly i dont know if it was sucessfully because it never got traction -

devhensh

Very True ....But with advancing Technology the lines between all these platforms are becoming increasingly blurred.....

For example a modular weapons platform like SCAR H can serve as a DMR, Battle Rifle & Assault Rifle (with slight modifications).... For DMR it would need a heavy barrel and specialized optics & ammo, for the rest of the two the standard pencil profile barrel will suffice ....All these changes can be done at user level and not armourer level..

Also, SCAR H can be easily converted to a very very high class multicaliber platform (7.62x39, .300 blackout, 5.56x45) , which can satisfy all the requirements of country like India.
http://www.defensereview.com/handl-...62x39mm-russian-ak-47akm-300-blackout-300blk/

I consider the INSAS LMG closer in concept and execution to the Marine Corp M27 IAR(Infantry Auto Rifle), than as a DMR as mentioned by somebody.....depends on use and perspective ...

I don't believe that the LMGs or MMGs
won't be required just because of 7.62x51 rifle adoption. The purpose of these is suppression and very high rates of fire, for which you need a Quick Change Barrel and belt feed or 100 round or more Pouch magzines...which is not possible with the standard rifle.....

SNIPER RIFLES -
I believe in two categories of sniper rifles (both in Bolt Action Only).....The Long Range Sniper rifle should be in .336 Lapua Magnum or Norma Magnum.....

The Short Range Sniper can be in 7.62x51 , with specialized ammo, optics and bolt action (although calibers which can fit in same magwell size like 6.5 Creedmore and specially 6.5 PRC beat the 7.62x51 in both range and ballistics by a long way).....

Last edited:

Vayuputra

Country flag
Kulgam Encounter update; at least two militants came out of Encounter site alive & escaped while firing several aerial shots .. no body retrieved from debris .. sources to @news24tvchannel

Prashant12

Country flag
OFB's R-2 7.62 x 51 mm rifle has demonstrated a satisfactory stoppage rate. (2400 rounds with 3 carbon cleanings, each after 600 rounds).

Galil ACE 52 is the rifle to watch out for as far as the fast track 7.62 x 51 mm procurement for the Army is concerned.

Twinblade

Country flag

Another contender for the 7.62*52 tender
Does LMT in this JV stand for lewis machine tools ? If yes then this is a solid offering. LMT makes some good marksman rifles already in service in UK. They have been selected for NZ defence forces as well. However one of the criteria in the RFI is compatibility with ARDE UBGL, which is incompatible with AR-10/AR-15 derivatives.

Pandora

Country flag
Does LMT in this JV stand for lewis machine tools ? If yes then this is a solid offering. LMT makes some good marksman rifles already in service in UK. They have been selected for NZ defence forces as well. However one of the criteria in the RFI is compatibility with ARDE UBGL, which is incompatible with AR-10/AR-15 derivatives.
LMT is solid gun in terms of reliablity too.The best thing is modular design,you can change barrel,butt stock etc etc with ease.IA must look this rifile closely.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles