New Artificial Intelligence System Beats Human In Aerial Combat Simulation

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Question is who created AI? Its Human mind isnt it? Hasn't the logic been designed by humans?
logic cannot be as powerful as mind

a human has a tendency to go in coma and may return or may not, but AI cannot. That's why it is known as Artificial Intelligence but not Artificial Mind.

Bahamut

I don't see AI able to write poesy, or a Shakespear like theatre.
But a war machine, where speed is of the most importance.... We are smashed i'm afraid.
I see human ultimately became one with invention lyrics where AI will supplement our brain and is completely new body with more ability

Kshatriya87

Country flag
This particular robot we are talking need not do many of the things that humans need to do(example walking). It just needs to replicate the manual functions that a pilot is required to do in the cockpit.

More importantly it need not even look human.

Fundamentally it is required to do the following manual functions:

1) Interpret the multiple cockpit displays for AI to process.
2) Handle the stick
3) Handle foot pedals(if any).

Expectations from AI can be as follows:
1) Understand and implement mission objectives
2) Process visual data and give feedback to manual controls
3) Capability to have multiple redundancies both for logical controls and for continuous operation.
4) Ability to anticipate and react to change in threat perception during the course of the mission.
In that case, you don't need to develop any robot. Just have the provision for a human pilot there and other times let the AI run the aircraft without a robot.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
because human brain has a mind , AI will just have a brain without mind.
Doesn't matter as long as it serves a purpose better than humans.

For e.g. Chess game. The computer beats a human there. The chess game for that purpose doesn't need other aspects of a human brain.

Similarly, different AI can be developed for different purposes and they can beat humans in all of those fields.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
An AI running on a computer is bound by the rules and limitations of computing. Biological brain is not a computer, it has been wired differently and hence is not bound by the limitations of a computing device. Forget about Human, an AI running on a computer cannot even match the brain of a cockroach.

It is almost unlikely that the computers as we know them will ever become conscious because of their inherent limitations. This is another matter that computers can do faster and accurate calculations compared to a Human brain, but then the biological brain isn't designed for this purpose.

To create something which is capable of matching Human Intelligence, we will first need to create something which may mimic a Human Brain.

You reminded me of this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_mind
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_mind_in_animals

Not only the AI but also many animals lack the "mind". Many AI experts have postulated that an AI created by the Human will not be able to grow a mind of it's own.
No, but the mind can be replaced with the concept of collective consciousness as I said in previous post. What the mind does is think, imagine and react accordingly. If we feed the thoughts, life experiences & decisions of some intelligent and good people in the AI, we are virtually giving it a mind of its own.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
So, a computer beats a human in 3D space, while a Tesla in self-driving mode crashed into a truck in 2D space.

I wouldn't be so optimistic, but this article is worth reading.
Fighter was a simulation, Tesla was an on road test. Both can't be compared anyways. There aren't any enemy fighters who are looking to cross your path in a dog-fight.

DingDong

Country flag
No, but the mind can be replaced with the concept of collective consciousness as I said in previous post. What the mind does is think, imagine and react accordingly. If we feed the thoughts, life experiences & decisions of some intelligent and good people in the AI, we are virtually giving it a mind of its own.
You are basically saying that since a single Formula Car cannot fly, let us tie 100 of them together and then they will start flying. Inherent limitations of a model cannot be overcome just by putting more stuff into it or by making it larger and faster. Computers by virtue of their design and working principles have limitations.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
You are basically saying that since a single Formula Car cannot fly, let us tie 100 of them together and then they will start flying. Inherent limitations of a model cannot be overcome just by putting more stuff into it or by making it larger and faster. Computers by virtue of their design and working principles have limitations.
You got it wrong. I'm not talking about mixing it up completely. I'm saying if given a certain situation, what is the best possible reaction to it? Program that in the AI. You want to create the perfect AI? Feed all the right reactions for all possible scenarios that the AI might encounter.

Now these reactions & responses need to come from different people as a single human brain is not the smartest and is bound to make mistakes because of emotions. A human brain might make a person take a wrong step but AI can't.

A human being is he fails in a certain task several times might just commit suicide. But an AI won't do that.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
No one is denying that human body is complex. But we are talking about an AI here. That's just means the brain.

As you said, there are some problems which are not computable. You can teach the AI for that as well and hence make it more intelligent than a single human brain.

Example. An AI can have advanced computing for all computable problems in life. For all non computing problems, the answer is collective consciousness. You can feed in the experiences, decisions, way of thinking and decision making, perspective etc. Aspects of a number of intelligent and good human beings.

Like I can agree that a human cannot build something that is more intelligent than him if he uses only his brain to do it. But what if he uses more? Isn't that why people collaborate to make things?

You can feed collective conciousness of people like Einstein, Stephen hawking, Abdul kalam etc. In the AI and that will make it more intelligent than yourself.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
You are making a basic assumption here which is wrong. You are saying that we put the best minds together and achieve a mind which is better than any one of those minds individually.
However, the most intelligent AI which we are capable of programming (theoretically) will only be as intelligent as the most intelligent human being who ever lived. There is no concept of aggregation in this topic. You cannot have a collective human intelligence. Nothing as such exists. The smartest human who ever lived is the one and only benchmark of human intelligence (and it is highly possible that he was not Albert Einstein)

Kshatriya87

Country flag
You are saying that we put the best minds together and achieve a mind which is better than any one of those minds individually.
No I'm not. I'm saying we can put the best parts of the best minds together. There is a difference.

However, the most intelligent AI which we are capable of programming (theoretically) will only be as intelligent as the most intelligent human being who ever lived.
No. We can build something more intelligent. That's the point I've been trying to make.

There is no concept of aggregation in this topic.
Of course there is. What do you think an AI program is all about?

You cannot have a collective human intelligence. Nothing as such exists.
Yes we can have collective intelligence. No such thing exists because it hasn't been done before.

The smartest human who ever lived is the one and only benchmark of human intelligence (and it is highly possible that he was not Albert Einstein)
Fuck the smartest human being. Why the hell do you want to keep him as a benchmark? You are building an AI, not the smartest human being that you already had in the first place.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
@Kshatriya87 I can understand the point of view you are trying to put forward when you say we will be assembling the best parts of mind. However, human theoretical knowledge at this point of time is simply not advanced enough to do that.
AI/Artifical Intelligence is not what you think it is. It is simply a bunch of smart logic and algorithm put together to solve a generic problem. This is what we as a civilisation have been able to achieve so far.
We have not advanced enough to put 'consciousness' into machines. What you are suggesting, like evolution of intelligence in machines, that is simply not possible with the kind of bland logic we call AI nowadays. In many ways the term AI is highly misleading. I would like to suggest you to go through some books on this topic of AI. Furthermore, investigate Fuzzy logic and Neural networks as well. You shall understand that we still haven't reached that point where a single program can be more intelligent than a living person with the highest IQ on earth.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles