Nepal to deliver constitution on time: PM

sorcerer

Country flag
Nepal's Prime Minister Sushil Koirala on Saturday urged people not to doubt their ability to launch a new constitution, saying Nepal will formulate a new constitution before January 22, 2015.

January 22, 2015 is the deadline set by Nepal's political parties to deliver the new constitution institutionalizing the country as a federal democratic republic country.

While attending the celebration ceremony of the 20th convocation day of Kathmandu University in Dhulikhel, about 30 km east of Nepal's capital Kathmandu, Koirala said his party Nepali Congress (NC) has proposed just seven provinces in the new federal setup considering financial burden to be caused by creation of " too many" provinces.

"We were for even less than seven provinces," he said, "But, we had to settle down on seven in the course of compromising with other political parties."

CPN-UML, Nepal's second largest party, has also agreed on the NC's proposal. But, the UCPN (Maoist), which spearheaded a decade- long war against the state, has stood against the joint proposal by the NC and the CPN-UML. The UCPN (Maoist), which is now leading an alliance of 22 fringe parties, is of the view that there should be more provinces to liberate the oppressed and marginalized communities.

Koirala, also chancellor of Kathmandu University, congratulated fresh graduates of the university and urged them to play constructive role on national development.

"I am not as educated as you. I did not even think I would become prime minister," said Koirala. "But, my 55-year-long commitment to my work helped me become prime minister and stand here among you today. I hope you all will always be committed to your work."

The chancellor conferred degrees to 1,037 fresh graduates of Kathmandu University, including 188 foreign students.

Kathmandu University was founded 20 years ago. It has evolved as one of Nepal's most reputed universities since then
Read more: Nepal to deliver constitution on time: PM - News - Politics - Russian Radio

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles