Neerja Bhanot: A Real Heroine of India

bhramos

Country flag

Neerja Bhanot, was a flight attendant for Pan Am, based in Bombay, India, who died while saving passengers from terrorists on board the hijacked Pan Am Flight 73 on September 5, 1986, she went on to become the youngest recipient of India's highest civilian award for bravery, the Ashok Chakra.

Neerja Bhanot was the senior flight purser on the ill-fated Pan Am Flight 73, hijacked by four heavily armed terrorists after it landed at Karachi at 5 am from Mumbai. PA 73 was en route to Frankfurt and onward to New York City. Neerja alerted the cockpit crew about the hijack and, as the plane was on the tarmac, the three-member cockpit crew of pilot, co-pilot and the flight engineer were able to flee from the aircraft. Neerja, being the most senior cabin crew member on board, took charge.

The hijackers immediately shot dead a passenger who identified himself to the terrorists as being an American. The terrorists then instructed Neerja to get the passports collected of all the passengers, so that they could identify the Americans. Neerja, and the other attendants under her charge, hid the passports of the 19 (18 passengers + 1 crew) Americans on board - some under a seat and the rest down a rubbish chute.

After 17 hours, the hijackers opened fire and set off explosives. Neerja opened the emergency door and helped a number of passengers escape. She did not herself escape, and became a martyr while shielding 3 children from a hail of bullets. Neerja was recognised internationally as "the heroine of the hijack" and is the youngest recipient of the Ashoka Chakra, India's highest civilian award for bravery.

After death:
For her bravery the Government of India posthumously awarded her the Ashoka Chakra (India's highest gallantry award for bravery in the face of the enemy, during peace time), being its youngest recipient. In 2004 the Indian Postal Service released a stamp commemorating her.

Story Suggested by: Haniya Athar

Note: Please be advised that posting any comment which would encourage a flame war would be removed and any person posting a hateful comment would be banned permanently.
----------------
References:
Neerja Bhanot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Image: during her modelling days
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Neerja-Bhanot-Page/109643142413675

British Bengal Tiger

I've just done a review on the movie Neerja. Compare my review to Kamaal R Khan's review.

Please tell me where I am going wrong. Watch my video on Neerja and watch his.

I like constructive criticism so I can do better, what did I do right and what did I do wrong?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles