NDAA takes away more freedom from usa citizens

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
The Military Can Now Arrest Citizens Without Trial

Unless you've been on the front page of Reddit or some of the more obscure political watchdog sites in the past few days, the odds that you've heard or read about the "National Defense Authorization Act" are slim. The mainstream news media is apparently busy with other stuff, such as Donald Trump's GOP debate. So we here at NYU Local would like to take a minute out of your day to let you know that as a nation, we've officially come to the end of the road.

The National Defense Authorization Act, or S. 1867, isn't a slap in the face to our Constitution – it's the killing blow.

The bill's text, in its infinite vagaries and self-contradictions, subtly allows the government to arrest American citizens on American soil and hold them indefinitely and without trial or any form of due process – all on the pretense of being an amorphously-defined "enemy combatant". Authored by Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz) and Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich), the bill was passed in the Senate 93-7 on Dec. 1st without amendment.

Just in case the sheer magnitude of this bill hasn't sunk in yet, understand that its provisions allow the government to define anybody as a terrorist, and have them locked up for the rest of their lives without any charge or trial from an independent judge. And "anybody" means anybody – a political dissident, a journalist, a protestor – even you.

Also keep in mind that our government's track record for dealing with "undesirables" isn't exactly spotless. In the past two months alone, thousands of protestors have been arrested all over the country for peacefully exercising their constitutional rights, while hundreds more have been grievously assaulted by police officers who attack with utter impunity.

While many are clamoring that "indefinite detention" for American citizens is never explicitly stated in the text of S. 1867 itself, the implicitness of a law is often far more draconian than its ink. From the ACLU (emphasis added):

"There is an exemption for American citizens from the mandatory detention requirement (section 1032 of the bill), but no exemption for American citizens from the authorization to use the military to indefinitely detain people without charge or trial (section 1031 of the bill). So, the result is that, under the bill, the military has the power to indefinitely imprison American citizens, but it does not have to use its power unless ordered to do so."

The only hope for this bill to not become the firm law of the land is the sworn threat of executive veto from Obama. But don't start cheering for the guy yet – the only reason he wants to stop the bill is because it undermines his exclusive ability to collect intelligence from citizens.

However, those same citizens have risen up in bi-partisan rage against the NDAA. Tea Partiers and Occupy Wall Street protesters alike have denounced S. 1867, and hundreds of petitions have been drafted in the past few days that have collectively attained hundreds of thousands of signatures in opposition to the bill.

Our only chance of retaining our right to due process lies in the pressure we exert on our elected officials. But then again, perhaps it's time to start thinking twice before putting your name on anything that might make you an enemy combatant in the eyes of our representatives.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

~ Benjamin Franklin

The Military Can Now Arrest Citizens Without Trial? Oh, We Call That Tuesday. · NYU Local
Suffice it to say i hope it passes :namaste:

Last edited:

agentperry

today americans will be annoyed if un peacekeepers march into LA, tomorrow they will thank them

trackwhack

This pretty much kills the Sixth Amendment. The War on terror has already moved the US out of Secular territory and for all purposes branded it a Christian nation. Slowly, the very values on which this nation was built is being chopped off one by one. Does not matter if it is Democrats or Republicans in Washington, there are no libertarians in this country for sure. And if you think about it, the founding fathers were all that and wrote the constitution with that in mind.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
This pretty much kills the Sixth Amendment. The War on terror has already moved the US out of Secular territory and for all purposes branded it a Christian nation. Slowly, the very values on which this nation was built is being chopped off one by one. Does not matter if it is Democrats or Republicans in Washington, there are no libertarians in this country for sure. And if you think about it, the founding fathers were all that and wrote the constitution with that in mind.
Well we can see that from outside but the american citizens cant because they believe every word that is spoken in the mainstream media and the same media is in the pockets of corporations or are one themselves.

The founding fathers would be rolling in there graves right now.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
On the other hand:

Lawmakers Blast Administration For Calling Fort Hood Massacre 'Workplace Violence' | Fox News

Oops, that was Fox News. Never mind.

Seriously, the Obama administration denies the use of term islamic terrorism and TSA is undressing old white ladies at airports. At the same time it wants the power to arrest enemy combatants who are US citizens. The number of people in that category? One, maybe two in recent history. But with NDAA in place, the number could increase.

The founding fathers would be rolling in their graves right now

Yeah, well those founding fathers were contemporaries and from the same country as those rotters who did bad stuff to India.

Last edited:

charlyondfi

Yeah, well those founding fathers were contemporaries and from the same country as those rotters who did bad stuff to India.
i believe you mean they are contempt of the GB empire, and a good history common between US and India, right? both ruled by and finally get rid of. Despite all the legacies such as democracy, no one really yearn for it...

W.G.Ewald

Professional
today americans will be annoyed if un peacekeepers march into LA, tomorrow they will thank them
Barack and Hillary would like it today, I believe. They want the USA subordinate to the UN; that is their plan.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
i believe you mean they are contempt of the GB empire, and a good history common between US and India, right? both ruled by and finally get rid of. Despite all the legacies such as democracy, no one really yearn for it...
Really, I meant that the concern about the founding fathers of the USA seems incredible coming from anti-US people on DFI.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Really, I meant that the concern about the founding fathers of the USA seems incredible coming from anti-US people on DFI.
What makes you say that ?

what i have read about the founding fathers i have liked and what usa today is far different from what the founding fathers envisioned. maybe im talking crap because im not a yank so you can correct me since you are one.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
What makes you say that ?

what i have read about the founding fathers i have liked and what usa today is far different from what the founding fathers envisioned.
There we agree.

maybe im talking crap because im not a yank so you can correct me since you are one.
The words of Ben Franklin, et al., belong to everyone.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
There we agree.

The words of Ben Franklin, et al., belong to everyone.
What i write on this forum regarding usa is solely towards the usa govt and its not aimed towards the avg yank.

I know the avg yank is a decent person, my relatives stay in usa and there american friends have stayed in my house when they visited India.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Its amazing what shows up in DFI......

The bill will never become law. The military in the US stays in the barracks.
The Police and FBI are responsible for internal security.

You will never find the US Military policing its civilian citizens in any state, in any corner of the USA, from Alaska to Key West.
Like India, you will always have politicians who overreact by trying to pass useless bills. That doesnt mean it will ever become law.

BTW: In case you forgot - Its India that currently uses the Military to keep the peace within the country - not the US, at least not yet.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
The issue is complicated.

It was established by the Supreme Court two years after the hanging of Mary Suratt, a Lincoln assassination conspirator, that civilians could not be tried by the military. Will NDAA undo that precedent?

W.G.Ewald

Professional
BTW: In case you forgot - Its India that currently uses the Military to keep the peace within the country - not the US, at least not yet.
Exceptions include using federalized National Guard troops to integrate schools.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
What's so great about the founding fathers anyway? Most were just aristocratic, power-hungry hypocrites. Many were slave-owners too (including Thomas Jefferson, who wrote the highly ironic words 'All men are created equal').

Ben Franklin and George Washington both have my respect, but the others are over-hyped and were nowhere as majestic as history books portray them to be.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Exceptions include using federalized National Guard troops to integrate schools.
but that was in the sixties and those troops were there to protect a handful of black students from being lynced by a white mob.
to make matters worse, the local police couldnt be trusted to do their jobs impartially......so it was truly an exceptional case and probably a rare case of right use of the military in protecting civilians.

I would argue that the Vietnam war era Kent State incident is one of the few examples of military overeach.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles