NCTC: National Counterterrorism Center

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The biggest terror strikes in the history of the country happened in state ruled by the same party that was in power at the centre after 2004._ MH.

LOL! POTA was a failure but most of its features were incorporated in UAPA by the UPA1 Govt.

MACOCA is a wonderful law in a Cong ruled state.
But then GUJCOC does not get enough support from the center.

Unnecessary politicization. The need of te hour is coordinated effort to tackle terror.

Terror attacks have taken place all over the country including states no ruled by the party in center. Mumbai is an easy target and will be a target in the future too for the enemies regardless of who is in power.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
The protests of CMs is not about terror or federal structure, they are worried about NCTC unearthing their shoddy business which can be used against them by Central Govt.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Unnecessary politicization. The need of te hour is coordinated effort to tackle terror.

Terror attacks have taken place all over the country including states no ruled by the party in center. Mumbai is an easy target and will be a target in the future too for the enemies regardless of who is in power.
Sir are you in favor or not.... ?????

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
The protests of CMs is not about terror or federal structure, they are worried about NCTC unearthing their shoddy business which can be used against them by Central Govt.
Which wont be bad but " Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I think some people in the Congress Govt and in the Congress party are bent on embarrassing Manmohan Singh and make him look a fool and an incompetent chap.
Sir ji, do you still think that MMS is even in the show, let alone running it? It is that Italian woman who calls the shots in this country. He is a nobody and a former minister of finance in our country. Period.

Is it that they are organising a passive coup that MMS, in sheer disgust, quits and the heir apparent is 'reluctantly' throned?
Passive?! This government is hell bent on eliminating freedom in the country! Look at Sibal's plans, look at MOD's plans of weakening military top brass, look at the constant state-center bickering this government has created in the last 2 years!

Do you still think it is passive?

I think this is along the lines of what Indira did in 70s.

And to believe Chidambaram, who is responsible for Terrorist nabbing, is a person who is supposed to be intelligent not to make himself appear a fool and at loggerheads with the States!
Chidu is a joke. He was a good finance minister but internal affairs is so not his cup of tea.

I cannot believe that a triumphant UPA I emerge winners hands down in the last election go down the tube in such a disgracefully incompetent and confused manner day by day and appear to be a Govt that is seized with political masochism!

Distributing blankets for vote, buying cash for vote and communalizing after every poll can only get you this far; after that, it is the integrity that speaks. UPA was evil since our independence, UPA is evil and there is not going to be any "will" for this party at all so we can all look forward to happy days in future.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Sir are you in favor or not.... ?????
Yes I am in favor of national anti terror mechanisms that can better secure the country. We need mechanisms to prevent terror attacks than have draconian laws to punish those after it. we know prosecution in India is slow and even a Kasab can live for years after blatant proofs. But then te idea is to have mechanisms that stop a 26/11. We have not seen another 9/11 in the US. We should not see another terror attack in India.

Param

Manik Sarkar joins other CMs to oppose NCTC - The Times of India

AGARTALA: The Left Front government in Tripura joined other non-Congress states on Saturday demanding withdrawal of the National Counter Terrorism Centre proposal issued by the ministry of home affairs as it would "violate the basic federal structure of the country and spirit of the Constitution".
Many also pointed out that since the proposed NCTC would become operational from March 1, it would be a part of IB as the director, IB, would act as the designated authority.

"As such the NCTC would not be an independent body like the NCTC in the US. It would be a part of the IB and no perfect democratic society would allow an intelligence agency to have the powers to arrest any suspect as there would be chances to misuse of the power," pointed out a senior official.

Param

Chidambaram has to explain his position on NCTC to CMs: NC - India - DNA
With Chief Ministers of non-Congress ruled states raising a banner of revolt against the Centre's proposal to set up an apex counter-terror organisation, the National Conference on Saturday said nothing should be done that would infringe on the country's federal structure.

"In that (matters related to security of the country) nothing should be done which will infringe on the federal structure," NC President and Union Minister Farooq Abdullah told reporters in Jammu.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
I was happy when i heard about NCTC and thought at least now a hard step on anti-terror mission, but now i think that it would be another tool for UPA govt. to play politics against non-congress state governments., yet NCTC should be enforced with some appropriate amendments adding provisions of faster approval of processes under NCTC from state governments. But i don't have any hope from UPA govt. as IMO they are vote bank politicians, what would be the benefit of NCTC when central govt. doesn't have guts and wish to arrest and prosecute Muslim jihadi terrorists ?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I think the reason why te opposition to such an idea is because state intel is usually employed not to fight the enemy of the state but the enemies of the rulin party. Not that the central govt does not use it, but we have seen that at the state level the policing standards are pathetic. Police is nothing but poodles of politicians. We need dedicated guys who have no sucking up to do and concentrate on fighting terror.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I have no doubt in my mind that if this was introduced by NDA in 2014 I would have been called brilliant and people would have told see what NDA is doing and the spineless UPA did nothing. Quite fashionable to attack the government for anything including FDI just to score political points. Shamelessness at display. Fvcking politicians damn them.

parijataka

Country flag
I have no doubt in my mind that if this was introduced by NDA in 2014 I would have been called brilliant and people would have told see what NDA is doing and the spineless UPA did nothing. Quite fashionable to attack the government for anything including FDI just to score political points. Shamelessness at display. Fvcking politicians damn them.
The credibility of UPA and Chidambaram is so low currently that even if they want to do something good they will be suspect.

NCTC will create a KGB in India, it must be reviewed
By B Raman

Of all the chief ministers who have protested against the proposed creation of the National Counter-Terrorism Centre (NCTC) in the Intelligence Bureau (IB) without consulting the state governments, only Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has got it right.

She has made it clear that her objection is not to the creation of the NCTC to strengthen our counter-terrorism capability. Nor is her objection based on fears of dilution of the principle of federalism.

Her objections are to two features of the proposed NCTC mechanism: the powers of arrests and searches sought to be given to the NCTC, which will be a division of the IB, a clandestine intelligence organisation, and the provision for the setting-up of inter-State intelligence teams by the NCTC.

The practice of giving powers of arrest to the intelligence agencies was started by Lenin and Stalin when they set up the KGB, the all-powerful Soviet intelligence agency. She has reportedly described these provisions as highly objectionable and said that the powers of arrest and searches given to the IB through the mechanism of the NCTC under Section 2 (e) of the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act of 1967 "can be misused to suit ends that are motivated by reasons other than fighting terrorism. Moreover, setting up of inter-state intelligence teams by the NCTC is tantamount to usurping the legitimate rights of the States."

I would not agree with her fears regarding the proposed inter-State intelligence teams. Such teams may be necessary to deal with pan-Indian terrorist groups such as the Indian Mujahideen which have their sleeper cells right across India in many States.

But I do share her fears about the possible misuse of the powers of arrest and searches by the NCTC Division of the IB against political opponents by branding them as associated with terrorism. During the Emergency of 1975-77, Indira Gandhi had many of her political opponents arrested by having them branded as threats to national security.In the future, a government with authoritarian reflexes may be tempted to misuse the powers of arrest given to the IB through the NCTC and have political opponents arrested by having them branded as associated with terrorism.

The IB is a secret intelligence organisation. It has no accountability to Parliament in respect of its work. We do not have a system of parliamentary intelligence oversight committees. We depend on the executive without any checks and balances to ensure that the IB functions according to the law of the land.

The British, during their colonial rule, did not consider it necessary or wise to give the powers of arrest and searches to the IB for any purpose. They observed the sacred principle that a clandestine intelligence collection agency should not have the powers of arrest. None of the governments that had held office in New Delhi since our independence had considered it necessary or wise to give such powers to the IB.

The practice of giving powers of arrest to the intelligence agencies was started by Lenin and Stalin when they set up the KGB, the all-powerful Soviet intelligence agency, in order to enable it to deal with so-called counter-revolutionaries. Many other authoritarian countries have since given these powers to their intelligence agencies.

The IB has till now not had these powers. In spite of that, during the Emergency there were serious allegations of misuse of the IB and the CBI by the Indira Gandhi Government to harass opponents of the Emergency. Instances of such misuse were documented by the Shah Commission and the LP Singh Committee set up by the Morarji Desai Government to enquire into them.If there could be such gross misdeeds when the IB did not have any powers of arrest, imagine how much more could there be when a clandestine organisation, not accountable to Parliament, is given such powers on the ground that those powers would be required to deal with terrorism.

Congress spokesmen who are defending the NCTC mechanism have sought to ridicule those criticising the objectionable provisions of the NCTC as being opposed to strengthening our counter-terrorism capability. Nothing can be farther from the truth. The opposition is not to the NCTC as such, but to some objectionable features of it.

Instead of standing on false prestige, the central government should have a relook at some of the worrisome features of the NCTC mechanism in consultation with other political parties and State governments. It is not just a question of respecting the principles of federalism. It is a question of adhering to the principles of a genuine democracy.

B Raman is Additional Secretary (Retired) in the Cabinet Secretariat, Government of India. He is currently Director of the Institute for Topical Studies, Chennai; and Associate of the Chennai Centre for China Studies. Republished with permission from the Chennai Centre for China Studies.

Last edited:

A chauhan

Country flag
If NCTC were being introduced by NDA then all the Cong state govt. have opposed it, so it's not surprising at all, it's politics. But one thing is sure "Terrorism" is a universal headache and we need a specially empowered institution for it like NCTC and so i am in favor of NCTC with provisions of faster state approval.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
If NCTC were being introduced by NDA then all the Cong state govt. have opposed it, so it's not surprising at all, it's politics. But one thing is sure "Terrorism" is a universal headache and we need a specially empowered institution for it like NCTC and so i am in favor of NCTC with provisions of faster state approval.
So you wish Chidamabaram to know which politician is getting how much from village level to national ? And also MHA goons to be given powers to arrest them.

That will lead to dictatorship of likes of Chidamabaram !

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I expect a complete policy paralysis in the future as any policies introduced by NDA will be opposed by congress. Just like how BJP turned its back on fdi congress will do the exact thing.

A chauhan

Country flag
So you wish Chidamabaram to know which politician is getting how much from village level to national ? And also MHA goons to be given powers to arrest them.

That will lead to dictatorship of likes of Chidamabaram !
Naah ! if i am not wrong it's a specific center for Terrorism alone, so no worries regarding corruption.Yet there would be always a suspicion of it's misuse by UPA govt.But the provision of state approval will help state governments to stop central govt.'s unnecessary interferences.

ejazr

Ambassador
It is shocking that BJP that calls itself strong on security can't see the importance of having a central co-ordinates policy on tackling terrorism. It is anti-national stances like these that make BJP open to the charge of being a pseudo-nationalist.

You have the recent case of Mumbai ATS arresting an informant and wrongly accusing him of being a terrorist a botching up a sting operation by the Delhi police. Its things like these that the NIA and the NCTC is suppose to avoid.

If you have concerns with specific provisions of the NCTC, you bring up those points without kicking the whole thing out. And what is laughable if it wasn't so serious is that BJP is the same party that brought POTA which had the same powers and even more draconian than the NCTC. It had provisions like confessions in police custody to be acceptable as court evidence and arbitrary arrest without charge. And now when we are getting a semblance of nationally connected grid of terrorism intelligence, it has been dubbed draconian.

Mamta Banerjee, Jayalalitha opposing I can understand. They have no concern for national interests and are willing to even destroy national interests to protect their political interests. But this was not expected from the BJP, at least I didn't expect it.

The NCTC is basically based on the US agency of the same name and has been on the table since atleast 2009 post-Mumbai attacks. The US agency has the responsibility focus sole on CT issues at a national level and has powers across states as well. And this is despite US being much more Federalist in nature than India. Each state has its own flag and emblem as well. But the NCTC was considered important enough and necessary enough to have these powers.

Last edited:

Param

The credibility of UPA and Chidambaram is so low currently that even if they want to do something good they will be suspect.

NCTC will create a KGB in India, it must be reviewed
By B Raman

Of all the chief ministers who have protested against the proposed creation of the National Counter-Terrorism Centre (NCTC) in the Intelligence Bureau (IB) without consulting the state governments, only Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has got it right.

She has made it clear that her objection is not to the creation of the NCTC to strengthen our counter-terrorism capability. Nor is her objection based on fears of dilution of the principle of federalism.

Her objections are to two features of the proposed NCTC mechanism: the powers of arrests and searches sought to be given to the NCTC, which will be a division of the IB, a clandestine intelligence organisation, and the provision for the setting-up of inter-State intelligence teams by the NCTC.

The practice of giving powers of arrest to the intelligence agencies was started by Lenin and Stalin when they set up the KGB, the all-powerful Soviet intelligence agency. She has reportedly described these provisions as highly objectionable and said that the powers of arrest and searches given to the IB through the mechanism of the NCTC under Section 2 (e) of the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act of 1967 "can be misused to suit ends that are motivated by reasons other than fighting terrorism. Moreover, setting up of inter-state intelligence teams by the NCTC is tantamount to usurping the legitimate rights of the States."

I would not agree with her fears regarding the proposed inter-State intelligence teams. Such teams may be necessary to deal with pan-Indian terrorist groups such as the Indian Mujahideen which have their sleeper cells right across India in many States.

But I do share her fears about the possible misuse of the powers of arrest and searches by the NCTC Division of the IB against political opponents by branding them as associated with terrorism. During the Emergency of 1975-77, Indira Gandhi had many of her political opponents arrested by having them branded as threats to national security.In the future, a government with authoritarian reflexes may be tempted to misuse the powers of arrest given to the IB through the NCTC and have political opponents arrested by having them branded as associated with terrorism.

The IB is a secret intelligence organisation. It has no accountability to Parliament in respect of its work. We do not have a system of parliamentary intelligence oversight committees. We depend on the executive without any checks and balances to ensure that the IB functions according to the law of the land.

The British, during their colonial rule, did not consider it necessary or wise to give the powers of arrest and searches to the IB for any purpose. They observed the sacred principle that a clandestine intelligence collection agency should not have the powers of arrest. None of the governments that had held office in New Delhi since our independence had considered it necessary or wise to give such powers to the IB.

The practice of giving powers of arrest to the intelligence agencies was started by Lenin and Stalin when they set up the KGB, the all-powerful Soviet intelligence agency, in order to enable it to deal with so-called counter-revolutionaries. Many other authoritarian countries have since given these powers to their intelligence agencies.

The IB has till now not had these powers. In spite of that, during the Emergency there were serious allegations of misuse of the IB and the CBI by the Indira Gandhi Government to harass opponents of the Emergency. Instances of such misuse were documented by the Shah Commission and the LP Singh Committee set up by the Morarji Desai Government to enquire into them.If there could be such gross misdeeds when the IB did not have any powers of arrest, imagine how much more could there be when a clandestine organisation, not accountable to Parliament, is given such powers on the ground that those powers would be required to deal with terrorism.

Congress spokesmen who are defending the NCTC mechanism have sought to ridicule those criticising the objectionable provisions of the NCTC as being opposed to strengthening our counter-terrorism capability. Nothing can be farther from the truth. The opposition is not to the NCTC as such, but to some objectionable features of it.

Instead of standing on false prestige, the central government should have a relook at some of the worrisome features of the NCTC mechanism in consultation with other political parties and State governments. It is not just a question of respecting the principles of federalism. It is a question of adhering to the principles of a genuine democracy.

B Raman is Additional Secretary (Retired) in the Cabinet Secretariat, Government of India. He is currently Director of the Institute for Topical Studies, Chennai; and Associate of the Chennai Centre for China Studies. Republished with permission from the Chennai Centre for China Studies.
Kudos to B.Raman.

This article comes from an intelligence expert and not an arm chair general.

The underlined paragraphs are the most important.

Last edited:

Param

Naah ! if i am not wrong it's a specific center for Terrorism alone, so no worries regarding corruption.Yet there would be always a suspicion of it's misuse by UPA govt.But the provision of state approval will help state governments to stop central govt.'s unnecessary interferences.
State approval? LOL

Even the notification on Feb 3 did not come after consultation with the states!

The centre is just bulldozing it's way.

I am not a BJP supporter & I did not like POTA. But now I think they were far better.

Like the article by Mr.Raman says even the British did not give the IB power to arrest. No govt since Independence gave the Intelligence oraganisation power to search and arrest.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
instead of creating another organization mainly to extend the authoritarian rule of rajmata in non cong states in the name of combating terrorism the wise thing to do is to strengthen existing agencies.the nia formed after 26/11 is yet to catch a single culprit in 6-7 bomb blast that have occured since.their supposed big catch swami assemand regularly confesses and retracts.also no news regarding natgrid?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles