Navy orders 8 tejas fighter jets

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Wiki can be wrong coz in many models and static LCA at aero-India was equipped with 1200 liters on 3,4 & 5 port..

If so, then how can be the total 3500kg ? unless there is an error in the poster.. :)

Wiki says that the capacity of pylon under fuselage is 725 kg.

Defcon 1

Country flag
If it is going for MIG-29K then it may have to be within 1000kg or little more, MK3 will be with smaller warhead and diameter may be somewhat harpoon size..

Must be an error in the poster..
I don't think that the poster is wrong. If your pic was correct, the total external stores capacity of LCA will be 5500 kg, which is equal to the store capacity of Mig29K, which is a much bigger aircraft than LCA. LCA can never carry that much of weight. Mig29K uses two engines, each of which is bigger than GE404.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I dont know MIG-29K nor i am talking about it, Here we are talking about the poster..

----------------------------------------------

This was from Aero-India 2011 also, as i said before 3,4 & 5 are with 1200kg fuel tanks..

------------------------------------------------

Even we exclude the 4th port, still the total payload is over 4000kgs..

I don't think that the poster is wrong. If your pic was correct, the total external stores capacity of LCA will be 5500 kg, which is equal to the store capacity of Mig29K, which is a much bigger aircraft than LCA. LCA can never carry that much of weight. Mig29K uses two engines, each of which is bigger than GE404.

Defcon 1

Country flag
I dont know MIG-29K nor i am talking about it, Here we are talking about the poster..

----------------------------------------------

This was from Aero-India 2011 also, as i said before 3,4 & 5 are with 1200kg fuel tanks..

------------------------------------------------

Even we exclude the 4th port, still the total payload is over 4000kgs..
Are we sure that weights of fuel tanks shown in the are indeed 1200 kg and that the weight of other bomb (I don't know what it is exactly) is 800 kg? It could be lesser.

Anyways, I have one additional question. What is the difference between loaded weight and max takeoff weight? Maybe answer to this question will clear the confusion.

sasi

Don't relate capacity holding of pylons with capacity carrying payload of ac.
~
For example if lca mk1 carries two 900kg missle and one drop tank of 1200kg. Total wt=3000kg.
~Then it has to leave other pylons 2 on each side free without weapons.

SpArK

SORCERER
ADA Wants You To Design A New Radome For The LCA Tejas

The aircraft's nodal development agency is considering delegating the task of designing a radar nose cone to a third-party. But what of the one that was already in use?.

What is important to note here is that ADA is not looking for a consultant to help it design a new Radome, or improve its existing design. Unlike the previous occasion, the nose cone currently used is not of a foreign procurement, that ADA is now trying to indigenise. The aircraft, quite visibly, very much sports a nose, one that the DRDO lab has itself designed & tested. Neither is this an ADA hunt for suitable private company to which it could transfer its own design details, that it could then mass produce for the LCA. Doing either of these would have made great sense, an indication of the smooth flow of development. Clearly, as evident from its announcement, the aim is to secure an all-new Radome design for the Tejas. Its performance characteristics would then be compared with its own design and, then, if the former is found superior, it would be chosen, over its own.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
What i know that the fuel tanks are indeed 1200kg the largest and the bombs are 450kgs but the port 2 & 6 are design to carry 800kg..

In Wiki many of the inputs are wrong, Can you get me true empty weight without fuel and gun + ammo.. ? than i can get that from max takeoff weight..

Are we sure that weights of fuel tanks shown in the are indeed 1200 kg and that the weight of other bomb (I don't know what it is exactly) is 800 kg? It could be lesser.

Anyways, I have one additional question. What is the difference between loaded weight and max takeoff weight? Maybe answer to this question will clear the confusion.

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag

Tejas - Specifications - Leading Particulars and Performance

Loaded weight weight = Empty Weight + Internal Fuel + Ammunition = 9500Kg
Max Take-off weight = Loaded Weight + External Stores (Fuel Tank +/or AAM +/or SOM +/or Bombs ~ 3700Kg)

So external stores on Tejas can weigh max 3.7 tons, but the preferred configuration will (?) be one centerline fuel tank + AAM (Derby + Python)

Last edited:

Defcon 1

Country flag

Tejas - Specifications - Leading Particulars and Performance

Loaded weight weight = Empty Weight + Internal Fuel + Ammunition = 9500Kg
Max Take-off weight = Loaded Weight + External Stores (Fuel Tank +/or AAM +/or SOM +/or Bombs ~ 3700Kg)

So external stores on Tejas can weigh max 3.7 tons, but the preferred configuration will (?) be one centerline fuel tank + AAM (Derby + Python)
I believe that a possibility exists that all pylons are weighted upto 1200 kg/800kg/150kg as said by Kunal, but the total weight carrying capacity is still capped at 3.5-3.7 tonnes. That will mean that Tejas will be unable to utilize the full load carrying capacity of its pylons, but high pylon capacity will give us chance to alter configuration depending on mission.

sasi

I believe that a possibility exists that all pylons are weighted upto 1200 kg/800kg/150kg as said by Kunal, but the total weight carrying capacity is still capped at 3.5-3.7 tonnes. That will mean that Tejas will be unable to utilize the full load carrying capacity of its pylons, but high pylon capacity will give us chance to alter configuration depending on mission.
True. Not only tejas,it applies to all ac. It all depends on mission and weapon of choice(wt).

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Navy LCA is more for air to air or air to ground engagement, it is not for any anti ship role so far.

sasi

All our ashms like Kh-35U,Kh-31 P,Kh-35,Sea Eagle and harpoon are less than 700kg.
LCA can carry 3 of this.
And 4 bvrms. Total wt(approx)=2100+700=2800kg.

Last edited:

Defcon 1

Country flag
All our ashms like Kh-35U,Kh-31 P,Kh-35,Sea Eagle and harpoon are less than 700kg.
LCA can carry 3 of this.
And 4 bvrms. Total wt(approx)=2100+700=2800kg.
Won't be possible. Not enough hardpoints, some will be dedicated for external fuel pods as well.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
One of the problems of deck operations is the landing with assymetrical loads on pylons. LCA with 3.6 tons of fuel in D/Ts and two harpoons and 2 A2AM will have a ROA of nearly 1000Nm in Hi-HI-HI attack mode for striking surface targets at sea. Thats a huge range at sea for any fighter. But for that LCA will need full 120KN thrust from F414EPE. OR it will have to launch with empty D/Ts and than do buddy refueling after launch.
All our ashms like Kh-35U,Kh-31 P,Kh-35,Sea Eagle and harpoon are less than 700kg. LCA can carry 3 of this.And 4 bvrms. Total wt(approx)=2100+700=2800kg.
That is what Decklander Sir have to say..

It can carry two or more as per need..

It can also carry 2 KH-31A and one Harpoon / KH-35 with two fuel tanks and two R-73 / Debry BVR..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles