Naval Blockade in Bay of Bengal

pashya001

if any one have information about blocked of Bay of Bengal please share.

Mod Edit:Please check the spelling while you are posting a thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

venkat

please take care of spellings at least for the thread heading!!!naval and navel are different. navel means "A scar where the umbilical cord was attached " as per dictionary.naval blockade by whom?

p2prada

Never happened AFAIK. Why would anybody blockade a sea where a massive amount of trade passes through?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
India did blockade the BoB during the 71 war. Cut off west and east Pakistan completely.

Probably the reason why USS Enterprise was moved into BoB, to ease the blockade.

p2prada

We placed a blockade on their ports, mainly Karachi. An entire sea would be impossible. The 7th fleet was for political purposes.

Blackwater

I have heard from my friend who's father is group captain. He told me that in 1971 USA indeed send its aircraft carrier to counter India in bay of bengal but Russia destroyer's blocked there way.

we must thank Russia for that..

Country flag
I have heard from my friend who's father is group captain. He told me that in 1971 USA indeed send its aircraft carrier to counter India in bay of bengal but Russia destroyer's blocked there way.

It was a Russian submarine. A Russian military member here claimed it was routinely shadowing the carrier.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!

indira ghandi had plans to further divide pakistan after bangladesh was created but the yanks were having none of it.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
It was a Russian submarine. A Russian military member here claimed it was routinely shadowing the carrier.
Here's a video on the topic:

This is what the Russian admiral is saying:

"I received the order from the Chief Commander 'To deny access of the American Navy to the Indian military objects'".

"We encircled them and I targeted the 'Enterprise' by missiles. I blocked them and didn't allow enclosing to Karachi, nor to Chittagong or Dhaka".

"The Chief Commander ordered me: 'Lift the subs when they (the Americans) appear!' It was done to demonstrate, there are all the needed in Indian Ocean, including the nuclear submarines. I lifted them, and they recognized it. Then, we intercepted the American communication. The commander of the Carrier Battle Group was then the counter-admiral Dimon Gordon. He sent the report to the 7th American Fleet Commander: 'Sir, we are too late. There are the Russian nuclear submarines here, and a big collection of battleships'.

Last edited by a moderator:

SADAKHUSH

Country flag

Russians not only helped with their navy they also helped us in J & K sector in the carpet bombing. Besides this IAF had their planes ready for "Kamakazi" style attack from the Vishakhapatnam. My father was based in the Southern AIr Command Area.

We can not sit back and wait help from foreign powers. It is imperative for the Indian Industry to play leading role in the R & D for the self reliance in the defence sector. The Government should take the initiative with subsidies for the R&D and production of necessary armament with the latest electronic system embedded into it. Besides that we should identify Indians who are playing leading role in the foreign land to bring them back to India to do the same development of techonology for India.

I hope some of you might want to expand on this idea. It is time for result oriented action by the present Government or get out of the way for the new administration to take over and provide help required by private industry.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Kash asa hota, we can see Independent Republic of Baluchistan
We should stop wishing but plan aggressive strategy regardless of what China and the rest of the Westren Alliance thinks. It is time take the advantage of the situation in Baluchistan and as well as Afgahnistan developing situation with regard to shelling by both sides. Pakistan refuses to wake up to reality on the ground, it is being repeated in Baluchistan by their Army with backing of China.

By the time they realise it might be too late to stop the independence movement in Baluchistan. It remains to be seen as to how much of the moral and material support is given to Baluchistan LAberation Army by USA and westren alliance to counter China's acts in the region.

pmaitra

Actually it was the 7th Fleet that was headed towards the BoB and thier primary targets were Calcutta and Vishakhapatnam. The Soviet Navy, as per Indo-Soviet Mutual Defense Agreement, dispatched their own fleet from Vladivostok and the US, sensing potential conflict, withdrew.

US Aircraft Carriers don't sail alone, but as part of the flotilla.

OT: Changed your avatar buddy? :)

Country flag
Many people feel this was the catalyst for the smiling Buddha in 1974. At that point in history USA was and still is the only country to use atomic weapons in human history,this and the daily images from the Vietnam war had many nations especially in Asia terrified of USA.

sandeepdg

I believe it was the presence of the Soviet Navy n-subs and ships in IOR and Bay of Bengal that prevented the Americans from carrying out any sort of misadventures on our military facilities on the East Coast. We are thankful to the Russians for that gesture.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I really doubt they would have attacked India. It was more of an intimidation tactic than actually threatening. Their move was inconsequential as by that time 11th of December 1971, the war was already going our way. But it could be debated though as a lot happened behind the scenes including a possible Chinese involvement in the war at the behest of Nixon. That was taken care by the Soviets amassing 40 divisions on the Chinese border.

Blackwater

Actually it was the 7th Fleet that was headed towards the BoB and thier primary targets were Calcutta and Vishakhapatnam. The Soviet Navy, as per Indo-Soviet Mutual Defense Agreement, dispatched their own fleet from Vladivostok and the US, sensing potential conflict, withdrew.

US Aircraft Carriers don't sail alone, but as part of the flotilla.

OT: Changed your avatar buddy? :)

kya hua pasand nahi aya any suggestions??

pmaitra

kya hua pasand nahi aya any suggestions??
Actually I liked the previous one better because it had the human touch while this one is like an animal's footprint, but then that's just me. I like this one too. This is very subjective and varies from person to person, but keep it for some time and then you can get another one. :)

Blackwater

I really doubt they would have attacked India. It was more of an intimidation tactic than actually threatening. Their move was inconsequential as by that time 11th of December 1971, the war was already going our way. But it could be debated though as a lot happened behind the scenes including a possible Chinese involvement in the war at the behest of Nixon. That was taken care by the Soviets amassing 40 divisions on the Chinese border.

Ameerica should thank India. Otherwise today ammerica would have fighting War on terror on two fronts. East and west pakistan:becky::becky::becky::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles