Nag anti-tank Missile

Enquirer

NAMICA perhaps in basically meant to equip Recce and Support battalions which are a very few battalions meant for specific and special anti tank roles. They have more predominant defensive roles and tasks but useful for offensive roles too. In offensive operations they can provide a potent anti tank screen and bolster anti tank fire power.

Considering the range profile of NAG as against the terrain profiles, it would be more suitable for desert sectors rather than for limited range profile terrain available astride Punjab.

The biggest shortcoming of the missile is its minimum range as also its LOBL guidance technology. A minimum range of (700, 500 or 400 m - claimed as per convenience) makes the system unsuitable for cluttered up built up areas of Punjab where one may get ranges around 700m and below most of the time. The missile, therefore, will be unusable in attacks and defensive operations in such a terrain in Punjab and semi desert terrains. Same reason would make it unsuitable for LOC.

LOBL guidance system means the missile can not be directed on a target visible to others than missile pilots such as by posts located higher, ahead of the launcher, forward elements, attacking soldiers , visible from platforms such as helicopters / UAV etc.

Third shortcoming lies in removal of BMP turret from NAMICA which makes it bereft of potent gun / canon firing platform.

The Challenges ahead for our DODOs are :

* Make NAG a LOAL missile to be able to be directed on targets by multiple agencies.
* Minimum range to be not more than 100 meters.
* Make NAMICA with turret of BMP -2 intact.
* Mount NAG on other vehicle platforms including SUVs, BMP and tanks.
This guy is the joker/faker of the century!
When I tried to educate him on the specific role and requirement of Nag/Namica few months back, he attacked me viciously (as all ignoramuses do).
Now the joker/faker is spreading the exact same stuff that I told him as his own gyan!!!!
:)

Enquirer

In all probability NAG's future is UAV, LCH and Rudra... Maybe even from LCA if DRDO can make have an extended range version of NAG.. for Anti-personnel role similar to hellfire...
Not NAG per se....but the Helina variant.
Helina has longer range than Nag & has LOAL capability.
Unfortunately Helina is still stuck in design/development stages. Last year Army chief said that they identified the 'issues' and DRDO was supposed to come back to them in "3-5 months" time with a "estimate" on how long it would take to fix the issues!! So, it was clearly a year two year project from there on.....and then of course the rituals of testing upside down, firing during a solar eclipse etc.....

Enquirer

Not NAG per se....but the Helina variant.
Helina has longer range than Nag & has LOAL capability.
Unfortunately Helina is still stuck in design/development stages. Last year Army chief said that they identified the 'issues' and DRDO was supposed to come back to them in "3-5 months" time with a "estimate" on how long it would take to fix the issues!! So, it was clearly a year two year project from there on.....and then of course the rituals of testing upside down, firing during a solar eclipse etc.....
CONFIRMED: The Helina redesign includes introduction of thrust vectoring via Jet-Vanes. This is quite a big design change....thankfully DRDO does have expertise in this area....but not sure how well they'll fare in miniaturizing it for the size of Helina!!!

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Enquirer

Yes. They've used it extensively in AAD/PDV missiles.
The question would be how effectively they can miniaturize it.
All in all a BIG DESIGN CHANGE for Helina...not sure how long it would take to run all the tests AFTER perfecting the engineering.

I had mentioned several times before that the Nag's side thrusters act as 'control' elements.....even though most folks on several forums only harped that they're only 'boosters'. Helina having gotten rid of the side-thrusters seems to have had 'control' issues. That explains why they're putting in thrust vectoring via jet-vanes!

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
This guy is the joker/faker of the century!
When I tried to educate him on the specific role and requirement of Nag/Namica few months back, he attacked me viciously (as all ignoramuses do).
Now the joker/faker is spreading the exact same stuff that I told him as his own gyan!!!!
:)
Perhaps you wish that the exact words of wisdom you wrote be reproduced... or just reproduced that muck...

Chalo ..... get aside. At least you can not remain quite without someone kicking your aft...

Enquirer

Perhaps you wish that the exact words of wisdom you wrote be reproduced... or just reproduced that muck...

Chalo ..... get aside. At least you can not remain quite without someone kicking your aft...
Lot of interesting info coming in today....lot to assimilate and discuss!
Can your ass itch hold for a little while? I'll come back later to give you the much yearned ass kicking!

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Can your ass itch hold for a little while? I'll come back later to give you the much yearned ass kicking!
you invited that kick.... and I promise that I am not going to spit on your favorite dream organ which the the only english word you seem to know...

Enquirer

CONFIRMED: The Helina redesign includes introduction of thrust vectoring via Jet-Vanes. This is quite a big design change....thankfully DRDO does have expertise in this area....but not sure how well they'll fare in miniaturizing it for the size of Helina!!!
Very surprising that no one on Twitter, BharatRakshak etc are talking about such a big change in Helina design!!!

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Ah ! Like you were propagating on this forum that NAG was designed to and meant for Engineers to cross the canal..The TCV will improve the capability of NAG to cross the canal......:pound::pound::pound:

Enquirer

Ah ! Like you were propagating on this forum that NAG was designed to and meant for Engineers to cross the canal..The TCV will improve the capability of NAG to cross the canal......:pound::pound::pound:
Which 'Support battalion' will go into enemy territory before the offensive formation gets there? The bridge laying unit!!!
Why would a 'support battalion' need ATGMs if it's supporting from behind?
Pig vomit doesn't have a brain!!!!

shiphone

Country flag
I had mentioned several times before that the Nag's side thrusters act as 'control' elements.....even though most folks on several forums only harped that they're only 'boosters'. Helina having gotten rid of the side-thrusters seems to have had 'control' issues. That explains why they're putting in thrust vectoring via jet-vanes!
these Oblique engines works only 3-4 seconds. they are boosters... lol... dear, the rocket engines on missles don't work all the time of the flight. most just seconds. so called TVC works only when the rocket is on.

what you need is just some introduction textbook about missile design basic of Freshman year ...

the fifth small 'flame' is the sustainer engine which will work a little longer.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
* Make NAMICA with turret of BMP -2 intact.
* Mount NAG on other vehicle platforms including SUVs, BMP and tanks.
1) I would beg to differ.
1.1) The BMP-2 based NAMICA is meant to replace BRDM-2. BRDM-2 did not have any weapon of the 30 mm caliber. Which means its employment doctrine does not call for such a capability. Maybe they retained an HMG for anti-infantry.
1.2) Equivalent role in British Army is performed by the Jackal-Scimitar combo. Scimitar is analogous to NAMICA/BRDM-2 and Jackal is analogous to TATA LSV/Windy. I was wondering if you could give an opinion on why NAMICA and BRDM-2 chose ATGM-only loadout whereas the Scimitar chose a cannon only loadout? Does it have to do with employment of attack helicopters in Britsh Army whereas absence of such assets (till now) in Indian Army?​

2) I would beg to differ yet again.
2.1) SUV like TATA LSV are already set to complement NAMICA in its role in R&S battalions. It can't hold the massive NAG missile. It will likely be equipped with a CLGM derivative or maybe even the MPATGM.
2.2) BMP is already equipped with a lighter ATGM. Nag is just too large to fit on Mech Inf's Sarath.
2.3) Tanks already can fire ATGM from main barrel. So no need for NAG again.
3) I hope that they make a new NAG missile carrier based on the FICV family of vehicles. BMP will be out by mid-2030s.

4) I wonder if BFSR are also used by R&S Battalions.

Which 'Support battalion' will go into enemy territory before the offensive formation gets there? The bridge laying unit!!!
Why would a 'support battalion' need ATGMs if it's supporting from behind?
Not quite. Bridgeheads are established and secured before the engineers get to work laying the bridge. Or else bridging ops will be impossible because Engineers, like Armoured Recovery Vehicles, are prime targets for the enemy. Details follow:-
  1. The Engineers and Armoured formation will move together towards the home bank of the water obstacle.
  2. Armour secures home bank meanwhile Infantry assaults across obstacle to secure a lodgement on far bank.
  3. Lodgement is reinforced with armour to establish a bridgehead. Armour arrives on ferries set up by engineers or by fording or flotation.
  4. Engineers set to work modifying the gradient of the banks. Armoured Amphibous Dozer wades across to modify far bank.
  5. Bridge is launched (in case of BLT or Sarvatra) and assembled (in case of pontoon).
In river crossings, the first few pontoons are lowered into the river and connected to form a ferry. The tank climbs on it and this ferry is pushed across the river by two motorboats to secure the far bank first.This happens after some Infantry has made it across the river via helicopter insertion or boat assault and secured a lodgement. After the tank gets to the far bank, the ferry returns and becomes a part of the pontoon bridge being laid. For canal crossing ops, a few BMP are also used to float across and secure the far bank but not sure if it happens in large river crossings as well. Hopefully in the near future, helicopter gunships will also get integrated into providing fire support to the secure the lodgement at the far bank. Also hope that the DRDO makes that MLC 70 Amphibious Floating Bridge and Ferry System soon. Till now, they have only built this AFFS of MLC 30 class:-

^ Without upgrading this, we are forced to depend on old pontoon bridges that take an unacceptable 5 hours to bridge a 200 meter water obstacle. Hope DRDO hurries up.

Here is a good video about Indian Army crossing shallow water obstacles-

But I don't understand how the gradient at the banks was modified at the far bank. They did not show the Armoured Amphibous dozer at work. Maybe because it was a demonstration, not an actual exercise.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

NAMICA is meant for Recce and Support Battalions whose job is to scout. They are not meant to engage enemy is frontal assault even though the heavy loadout of the NAMICA suggests so. NAMICA and the TATA LSV that will complement it will primarily be tasked with "Recce by fire" missions. This is my understanding of the doctrine of employment of NAMICA in offensive role. In the defensive role, its role should be similar to the employment of the Jeep-mounted recoil-less rifles in the Battle of Asal Uttar.

these Oblique engines works only 3-4 seconds. they are boosters... lol... dear, the rocket engines on missles don't work all the time of the flight. most just seconds. so called TVC works only when the rocket is on.

what you need is just some introduction textbook about missile design basic of Freshman year ...

the fifth small 'flame' is the sustainer engine which will work a little longer.

My dear sir, he said that these were "not only boosters but control elements as well". You mistook it as him stating that the ATGM is powered throughout the flight by those control elements.

He did not say those are "not boosters but control elements"
He said those are "not only boosters but also control elements"

Hope you get it right this time.

Last edited:

shiphone

Country flag
LOL.. ...funny indeed.

'control'? how?.....by the thrust size? by the thrust direction?...lol...that's a simple solid rocket motor. again, it works just for seconds.

-------------
lol...

Last edited:

shiphone

Country flag
LOL... pathetic...

PS. this is old helina layout closer to NAG via adding the RF data link .
helina launcher 2.jpg

even on the new layout.... the sustainer(so called side-thrusters ) is still there very possibly
the rear rocket motor becomes the launch/main engine and two 'small' side thrust engines act as sustainer.

HELINA anti-armour guided-missile.jpg

Enquirer

LOL... pathetic...

PS. this is old helina layout closer to NAG via adding the RF data link .
View attachment 36414

even on the new layout.... the sustainer(so called side-thrusters ) is still there very possibly
the rear rocket motor becomes the launch/main engine and two 'small' side thrust engines act as sustainer.

View attachment 36415
Do you understand English directly or do you use a translation app back-n-forth to read-n-write?

I am just trying to guess if there could be a legit/innocent reason for the colossal stupidity that’s reflecting from your posts!

Perhaps you should also read some basic physics before crawling onto ‘missile textbooks’

Global Defence

New threads

Articles