Myth of Vegetarianism in Ancient india

pkroyal

"Because egg white omelets contain fewer nutrients than regular omelets, they should be slightly easier and quicker to process, taking between 24 and 72 hours for your body to digest". Imagine if some undigested food remains in your small intestine for 72 hours what havoc it is going to create in your system. Animal proteins are more complex, they take far longer to be digested & absorbed by the body.

Our ancestors were not fools who promoted a vegan diet for a healthy life. Incidentally the highest cases of cancer of the colon is in the USA because of excessive red meat consumption, leading to poor digestion.

Eat what you want ! but eat smart that was the message by our ancestors.

pkroyal

constant ingestion of complex proteins = slow digestion = slow absorption = putrefaction in the canal = constipation = problem in defecation = higher risk of colon cancer, period

drkrn

What is king blood line? I collect up genetics papers on the subject and this claim becomes worth looking at only if an academic paper with specific genetic links are discussed in support of this. Otherwise I would dismiss it as yet another fake claim which are a dime a dozen in this subject. "Blood line" is a word that I have never seen in any genetics paper, good or bad and the expression is academically classifiable as nonsense.
blood line:Web definitions
lineage: the descendants of one individual; "his entire lineage has been warriors".
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

kseeker

Retired
Meat eating was forbidden only to the priestly class i.e. Brahmins AFAIK.
parijataka ↑
And that too wasn't universal. Exceptions include Gouda Saraswath Brahmans, Bengali Brahmins and Kashmiri Pandits that I'm aware of!
That is correct. I am a GSB (Gouda Saraswath Brahmans) and I can confirm that, fish eating was allowed in GSBs however, other than fish, rest of the meat were prohibited. Also, not all GSBs eat fish, GSBs who have settled in Coastal regions of MH,Goa, KA and KL generally eat fish. GSBs who take care of temples and perform pooja don't eat even onions and garlic even today !

With the new era things are changing (Since last 15-20 years) ... Now a days, GSBs eat Chicken, Mutton, Pork (rarely, depends on one's taste), again except fish, other meat are not prepared in the kitchen ! Beaf is not preferred at all.

Last edited:

LalTopi

We all know people have migrated out of India, as much as people have migrated into India. The problem I have with Out of India theorists is that they seem rather confident. It is this confidence that I dismiss.

My argument, and if you go back into my past comments, has been that India is too diverse to have had an exclusive Indian origin, and that exclusivity (P(Origin = India) = 1) is what I reject.
The final chapter has not been written yet on the origin of the Aryan languages. If I was a betting man I would say West Persia, Caucases etc. But it may be India, until the Indus Valley languages are deciphered there can be no certainty. In any case the spread of language is not necessarily the spread of race. I definitely do not think an 'Aryan Invasion' took place, and unlikely that any significant migration per AMT took place.

On your other point, I think that somebody already mentioned that ANI and ASI were out of Africa and not out of India. Which also brings to the point that Persians and Afghans and people in the ANI/ ASI migration path out of Africa would also have ANI/ ASI genes, therefore when these people came to India subsequently, should they be considered to be ancestrally completely different?

LalTopi

back to vegetarianism,

In my experience of Indian Vegetarians, as opposed to other nation's vegetarians, is that it is less of a love for animals and more a Caste snobbery issue.

With the exception of the Rajput Kshatriya class, who generally tend to eat meat and don't care what the other castes think, Jatis in the other three Varnas quite often use vegetarianism as a source of caste snobbery, best illustrated through the following YouTube sketch:

The Two Ronnies - Classes Sketch - YouTube

Although I do accept that the fellow at the top had historical religious reasons for vegetarianism.

bennedose

blood line:Web definitions
lineage: the descendants of one individual; "his entire lineage has been warriors".
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
Maybe you blinked and missed it. There is an entire body of study called genetics. I asked for genetics papers that speak of a king blood line. You have quoted a dictionary. You might a well quote your grandfather - but the theory of "king blood line" is complete trash.

pmaitra

The final chapter has not been written yet on the origin of the Aryan languages. If I was a betting man I would say West Persia, Caucases etc. But it may be India, until the Indus Valley languages are deciphered there can be no certainty. In any case the spread of language is not necessarily the spread of race. I definitely do not think an 'Aryan Invasion' took place, and unlikely that any significant migration per AMT took place.

On your other point, I think that somebody already mentioned that ANI and ASI were out of Africa and not out of India. Which also brings to the point that Persians and Afghans and people in the ANI/ ASI migration path out of Africa would also have ANI/ ASI genes, therefore when these people came to India subsequently, should they be considered to be ancestrally completely different?
I have commented on these in the AIT thread. No more here.

Himanshu Pandey

Himanshu - correction.

The word "Hindu" was used by Zorastrians for the area called "Hapta-Hindu" (corresponding to Sapta Sindhu) long before "Persians" appeared on the scene. According to sources (which I can name, quote and link) Zoroastrianism itself is a branch of the Vedic faiths with the Zoroastrian Holy Book the Zend Avesta being the lost Bhargava Arthava veda (the Chhand Upastha). Pre-Persian evidence of Indian links with Iran and Syria are well known. The first unique "Persian" dynasties became known to the Europeans much later after Darius' conquests.
I meant Zoroastrians as both are same.... Persian are old kingdoms and the faith they fallowed is Zoroastrian whom we call parasi today in India.. but I agree with your point

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles