Myth of Vegetarianism in Ancient india

Maharaj

Its true that Hindu, Jain and Buddhist scholars of ancient and
medieval India did not eat meat.
But Hindu kings and warriors ate meat in the past.
Hindu kings and soldiers who were expected
to excel as hunters and warriors and to deal decisively with the burdens of government relied on
a meaty diet. A high place in the caste system was not always based on a vegetarian diet.
The medieval Italian traveler Pietro della Valle noticed that the Rajputs, the ruling warrior caste
of Rajasthan ate meat. The south Indian king Somesvara of the Western Chalukya Dynasty
who ruled in the 12th century wrote the famous text Manasollasa. Somesvara noted that
a king needed to eat a suitable, healthy and hygienic diet. This included fatty pork fried with cardamoms
and roast rump steak. Some of king Somesvaras other favorite dishes were fried tortoise and roasted
black rat. Five centuries later the habit of eating fabulous meats was still being kept alive by the
rulers of the Vijayanagar Empire. Alongside mutton, pork, sparrows and rats could all be found on sale
in the markets of the Vijayanagara Empire.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
You mean Brahmin kings used to eat non-veg products?:confused:

They ate meat because non-veg foods are a rich source of proteins which are needed for building up our body. But due to advancements in science & technology we now know that there are specific vegetarian foods which are rich in proteins such as Pulses, Cheese, nuts, chick peas etc......

Nowadays people are buying protein rich ready-made food products such as soyabean or mealmaker since meat and other non-veg products are becoming more expensive.

parijataka

Country flag
Its true that Hindu, Jain and Buddhist scholars of ancient and
medieval India did not eat meat.

But Hindu kings and warriors ate meat in the past.
Hindu kings and soldiers who were expected
to excel as hunters and warriors and to deal decisively with the burdens of government relied on
a meaty diet. A high place in the caste system was not always based on a vegetarian diet.
The medieval Italian traveler Pietro della Valle noticed that the Rajputs, the ruling warrior caste
of Rajasthan ate meat. The south Indian king Somesvara of the Western Chalukya Dynasty
who ruled in the 12th century wrote the famous text Manasollasa. Somesvara noted that
a king needed to eat a suitable, healthy and hygienic diet. This included fatty pork fried with cardamoms
and roast rump steak. Some of king Somesvaras other favorite dishes were fried tortoise and roasted
black rat. Five centuries later the habit of eating fabulous meats was still being kept alive by the
rulers of the Vijayanagar Empire. Alongside mutton, pork, sparrows and rats could all be found on sale
in the markets of the Vijayanagara Empire.
Confused much ? Meat eating was forbidden only to the priestly class i.e. Brahmins AFAIK.

Rest of society could happily gorge on goat, deer, pig, fish, etc etc.

Tolaha

Meat eating was forbidden only to the priestly class i.e. Brahmins AFAIK.
And that too wasn't universal. Exceptions include Gouda Saraswath Brahmans, Bengali Brahmins and Kashmiri Pandits that I'm aware of!

parijataka

Country flag
And that too wasn't universal. Exceptions include Gouda Saraswath Brahmans, Bengali Brahmins and Kashmiri Pandits that I'm aware of!
@Tolaha - curious to know what Jain kings did. Were they vegetarian and how did they reconcile the principle of `ahimsa` with carrying out wars and other violent activities required of a king?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tolaha

@Tolaha - curious to know what Jain kings did. Were they vegetarian and how did they reconcile the principle of `ahimsa` with carrying out wars and other violent activities required of a king?
Kinds who claimed themselves as Jains were vegetarians probably.

As for wars, while they are not supposed to attack, they could defend their kingdom. I'm sure numerous kings might have stolen Krishna's line in Bhagavadgeetha regarding the fence wherein it might hurt the cattle but its just doing its duty, as a justification. But ofcourse, kings would be more politicians than religious bent of mind and could always claim that even their attacks on neighboring kingdoms were "defensive attacks"! ;-) And then there were some famous generals who were Jains, obvious misfit with profession and conscious there. But we do need to keep in mind that in India, or ancient India to be more specific, religion was personal while profession was not. Golden days they were! :)

Maharaj

Kumarapala was a Jain king who ruled the Solanki/Chalukya kingdom of Gujarat in 12th century. He
banned animal slaughter in his kingdom after converting to Jainism.

dhananjay1

Only a number of Brahmin sects and ascetics were strictly vegetarian among Hindus. All the classical Ayurvedic literature provides guidelines about what sort of meat to it and when to eat. Only beef was largely forbidden during the classical times.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Only modern confused Hindutvadis believe in the myth that ancient Indians were vegetarians.

On the other thread I opened, there even some Hindus claiming that Vedas were against meat-eating. :scared2:

parijataka

Country flag
Only modern confused Hindutvadis believe in the myth that ancient Indians were vegetarians.

On the other thread I opened, there even some Hindus claiming that Vedas were against meat-eating. :scared2:
You got it wrong this time - people with book knowledge of Hinduism would talk about vegetarianism.

Hindutvawadis do have a better sense of Hinduism than academics.

drkrn

they are self made exceptions.a brahmin is forbid to eat any sort of non-vegetarian

drkrn

non vegetarian is very much normal practice in india from past.it is said only after entering of kaliyuga the practice of offering non vegetarian to fathers during their shraddha karma(yaerly ritual)was banned,and also animal sacrifices at many temples

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
You got it wrong this time - people with book knowledge of Hinduism would talk about vegetarianism.

Hindutvawadis do have a better sense of Hinduism than academics.
Actually, Hindutvadis are so confused that they cannot even agree among themselves whether or not ancient Indians were vegetarians or ate beef. But most of the Hindutvadis and "Neo-Hindus" seem to agree that ancient Indians were against meat-eating.

Strangely, they also worship Vivekananda who was a champion of beef-eating.

pmaitra

If I may add, meat eating is mandatory for a Brahmin who performs rituals for Shaktya deities, such as Durga or Kali.

After animal sacrifice, the carcass is offered to the godess, and then, to the Priest, and finally distributed to the devotees. A vegetarian Brahmin would be automatically disqualified from performing such rituals.

LalTopi

What is their justification for saying that Vedas was against meat eating?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles