MX-4 in service with BSF!!!

bhramos

Country flag

I never knew it before, first time seeing a MX-4 in Indian Service....

sorry if repost...

Snuggy321

They have been in BSF service for more than a year or so to replace the WW2 era sterlings

AshutoshNSingh

I never knew it before, first time seeing a MX-4 in Indian Service....

sorry if repost...
which weapon is the jawan third in line carrying? Looks like X 95. BSF has got a variety of carbines.

Last edited:

JBH22

Can someone explain to me why give a carbine to BSF instead of assault rifle.

I thought that AK-103 would be best for them how effective is it to patrol border areas with this weapon?

bhramos

Country flag

I thought that AK-103 would be best for them how effective is it to patrol border areas with this weapon?
this carbine is to replacegood old british Sterlings carbine...

bhramos

Country flag

Source @Neil

Kunal: With no Body Armour and tin bucket helmet but with a beratta 9MM auto..

Last edited by a moderator:

JBH22

this carbine is to replacegood old british Sterlings carbine...
Replace yes but is it effective to patrol borders with such weapon I thought that this might be more useful for policing duties.

correct me if i'm wrong

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Courtesy Col. Bhupinder Singh"Tusky",three years from proposal to execution i must say the man has a knack to push things through the MOD fast.

Tusky and Udai Singh were the only arms agents present on all four days of the Border Security Force (BSF)'s weapon trials held between May 17 and 20 at their facility in Bhondsi, Uttar Pradesh. Officials present at the trials remember Bhupinder plying BSF officials with beer and soft drinks during the trials. On February 14, 2011, Delhi's defence circles sat up and took notice of him. Beretta signed the mha contract worth over Rs.200 crore for 34,377 carbines. Tusky was now in the big league of arms dealers such as Suresh Nanda, named by CBI as an agent in the Barak missile deal, and Mohinder Singh Sahni, also named by CBI as the agent in the Krasnopol guided munitions case.
The contract surprised everyone for the speed of its execution. It had taken less than three years from contract to delivery, unusual for India's lethargic bureaucracy. The National Security Guard (NSG), for instance, is yet to get helmets or bulletproof jackets it has tendered for after the Mumbai attack. The contract saw multiple controversies and complaints from rivals, saying they had been unfairly ejected from the trials. The bsf went ahead with the order despite detecting defects in 2,374 carbines of the entire order in February this year.
Read more at: ndian Army at the mercy of shadowy arms dealers, lobbyists : The Big Story - India Today

JBH22

IF they are eating and on top of that giving jawans third rate equipment then this is a bigger sin.

AshutoshNSingh

ONLY LOGIC: The Beretta guys must be paying much higher kickbacks than Izhmash so MHA under Chidu compromised BSF's needs to procure defective and little effective submachine guns.

AshutoshNSingh

Aman Ki Asha initiative by MHA: In case of retaliating ceasefire violations by Pakistan, the 9mm rounds of BSF's MX 4s will lose their energy during the journey across the border before causing any harm to the Pak side.

WMD

Mx4 has a 9mm ammo, its good for close quarter combats but not in the open.
i don't understand why they r ordering it for the BSF, while patrolling the border BSF guys need ARs not a carbine.
even our old INSAS would do a better job than these for BSF..:confused2:

Manas7

It seems PC made his percents in the fast signing of the contract and delivery. Bastards.

SilentKiller

Country flag
i don't understand why they r ordering it for the BSF, while patrolling the border BSF guys need ARs not a carbine.
A squad needs to have multiple types of weapons like Submachine guns, rifles, sniper etc...if u check in details the patrol is in typical combination.
what i would have expected or recommend is bullet proof vests and helmets along with good sights for guns and Infra red and night goggles for all patrols...

DivineHeretic

Country flag
You are right about the MX4 being a CQB weapon. But there is a requirement for SMGs in every force, the requirement for the BSF handled until recently by the sterlings. Btw The whole force is not going to convert to SMGs en masse. These CQB weapons have a lower recoil, lesser Jamming and hence are far more effective in close engagements. A patrol team of BSF in any part of the country will have a few guys with SMGs beside the ARs, to ensure that in case of close in combat, especially in semi built up areas, they can quickly gain the upper hand. And by the way, the BSF is involved in policing duties at times. Not to mention that every BSF base has guards who are much better off weilding a SMG than a AR which could kill someone 1000m away courtesy stray bullets.

DivineHeretic

Country flag

Source @Neil

Kunal: With no Body Armour and tin bucket helmet but with a beratta 9MM auto..
Good find. This apathy to protection runs deep within our mindset. It is likely that he was issued a body armor but decided to take it off, coz it is too heavy and/or hot. I've seen even female CRPF wearing BJs so there is no reason he wouldn't have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles