Muhammad Ali, boxing legend and cultural icon, dies

Zulfiqar Khan

Is it right then to generalise all Jews? Is it right to blame all black problems on whites? So all blacks are innocent?

He wasn't perfect. Neither were his boxing skills. I repeat, he was overrated.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Well; first off - the source you provided was a tweet from a random Indian person.

No he was not perfect, his boxing skills however were the best.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I grew up when Ali was still a present tense in the boxing World. He's left jab while going backwards is very effective paired with his immortal footwork. Of course there are better boxers than Ali but what he really shines at is his out-sized persona, his penchant for theatrics, his genuine political stands and of course his playful language. There is no other sportsman since and now that can equal Ali's appeal, not even Michael Jordan. In this respect, he is truly the "Greatest."

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Well; first off - the source you provided was a tweet from a random Indian person.

No he was not perfect, his boxing skills however were the best.
If only you ever actually followed him, you would know that its true.

Also, no he was not perfect. And NO, his boxing skills were not the best.

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
If only you ever actually followed him, you would know that its true.

Also, no he was not perfect. And NO, his boxing skills were not the best.
Who according to you was greatest..Mike Tyson? Throughout his career, Ali many times successfully fought off bigger and younger opponents.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Who according to you was greatest..Mike Tyson? Throughout his career, Ali many times successfully fought off bigger and younger opponents.
JOE LOUIS - Hands Down. No doubt about it. (An argument can be made for Sugar Ray Robinson though)

You think of Ali as greatest because he was in your own words - "many times successfully fought off bigger and younger opponents". In this case I can give you dozens of examples of boxers who have done that.

Secondly, do think about media hype. In boxing world, everything depends upon the publicity. More publicity, more money. More money, more fame. Hence the result. Ali doesn't deserve half the attention he got when compared to Joe.

E.g. F1. Everyone keeps chanting Schumacher Schumacher. Do you think he is the greatest racer? Nope.

Moto GP. Rossi Rossi. Do you think he is the greatest biker? Nope.

Its all because of the media attention he got.

I would like to repeat, Ali was a really good fighter. But definitely overrated and definitely not the best in that century.

Bharat Ek Khoj

Why so much obsession over him ? Hardly anyone watches boxing in india. If you like the boxing pay the respect, else forget it.
And at the time of Muhammad ali ?? I wonder how many people even had TV.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Why so much obsession over him ? Hardly anyone watches boxing in india. If you like the boxing pay the respect, else forget it.
And at the time of Muhammad ali ?? I wonder how many people even had TV.
I did pay respects. Didn't you check my first comment?

Actually, a lot of people had TV at the time of Ali. Whereas at the time of Joe. Nobody did. To add over it, blacks were completely hated and refused entry in any kind of sports in America. But Joe struggled and became a true champion.

Bharat Ek Khoj

I did pay respects. Didn't you check my first comment?

Actually, a lot of people had TV at the time of Ali. Whereas at the time of Joe. Nobody did. To add over it, blacks were completely hated and refused entry in any kind of sports in America. But Joe struggled and became a true champion.
I replied after you doesn't mean I was pointing at you. I was talking about the people querying over his personal life.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
I replied after you doesn't mean I was pointing at you. I was talking about the people querying over his personal life.
Ok. I didn't read what others mostly said. I just put in my views and posted. Also, my comments were not about his personal life. It was just one statement saying he was overrated.

Vishwarupa

Country flag
Conversation with a confused friend

Friend: Dude, why have you been trying to highlight the positives of Asaram Bapu instead of disowning him? He is a "blot on our nation".

Me: Why do you hate Asaram so much?

Friend: Because he is accused of some misdoings.

Me: Have they been proven in court?

Friend: Not yet. But you know Nithyananda was caught in the act & we had all seen it on TV which you cannot deny anyway.
Asaram is no different.

Me: Wait wait, hold on. Don't you know Nithyananda was framed? That video was morphed. It was proven in court, not just in Indian court but even in USA as well. All the TV channels which had broadcast that video were ordered to apologize.
Check this:
http://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...ise-to-Ranjitha/2013/09/03/article1765099.ece

Friend: Whatever!! But you know Asaram has made some unwanted irresponsible statements.

Me: Wait for a sec. I will come to it later. By the way, I saw your recent post glorifying Muhammad Ali. Do you know what statements he had made?

Friend: Ali was a legend, my role model. Now I am curious. What statements he had made?

Me: He had always reiterated his anti-women stand by stating "Women are inferior to men". He had said "Males are made to rule females, a women possibly cant be man's equal". He gave talaaq to his first wife just because the length of her gown was less. He was a racist & said jews are devils.

Friend: Dude, stop it. Why do you want to look at all such negative sides of the legend? So what he has said women are inferior to men? That's just a statement. It might be his personal opinion. Why don't you look at his achievements. Doesn't he deserve appreciation for his accomplishments? He has won 40 medals in boxing.

Me: Exactly. That's what even I have been saying in the case of Asaram Bapu. Look at his contributions to the society. He has built 400 ashrams & 40 gurukuls.

Friend: But, but.. What about his statements?

Me: No but, no gut. You agree that Muhammad Ali made irresponsible statements and still want to glorify him because you want to look at the positive side that he won 40 medals for himself. Whereas in the case of Asaram Bapu, you don't want to appreciate him for building 400 ashrams & 40 gurukuls (not for himself but for citizens). Why this double standards? Either praise both Muhammad Ali & Asaram Bapu for their accomplishments while ignoring their statements, or criticize/disown both for their statements & ignore their accomplishments. But this selective appraisal of Muhammad Ali & selective defamation of Asaram just shows your confusion & vulnerability. Why this hypocrisy? Have you fallen for the secular media propaganda?

<5 mins>
Me: Why no reply yet? Are you there?

<Your message could not be delivered because you are blocked by the remote user>

PS:
What I have mentioned in this post is just the tip of the iceberg. He had made much more inflammatory & controversial statements.
Surprisingly the same liberals who disown Asaram Bapu for just 1 controversial statement, are trying to lecture us to be a bit liberal towards Muhammad Ali & respect him for his achievements. Here is one such recent piece:
http://www.firstpost.com/world/muha...-why-do-we-need-to-whitewash-him-2818956.html

In this interview excerpt, you can hear it directly from the horse's mouth, insulting women who wear short dresses & implying that every sane woman should cover up fully including hijab:

Racism controversy:
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/213354#.V1bZG3F97nA

However, I am not asking anybody to disrespect Muhammad Ali. I also respect him for his achievements & I know he is a role model for many. Having said that, all that I am asking is for some consistency in logic. If you want to respect Muhammad Ali for his accomplishments despite his controversies, then you must apply the same logic to Asaram Bapu as well. Or if you want to reject Asaram Bapu due to his controversy, then you must reject Muhammad Ali as well. i.e It does not matter whom you respect or whom you disown, but all that I am asking is some consistency. Is it too much to ask for?

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Conversation with a confused friend

Friend: Dude, why have you been trying to highlight the positives of Asaram Bapu instead of disowning him? He is a "blot on our nation".

Me: Why do you hate Asaram so much?

Friend: Because he is accused of some misdoings.

Me: Have they been proven in court?

Friend: Not yet. But you know Nithyananda was caught in the act & we had all seen it on TV which you cannot deny anyway.
Asaram is no different.

Me: Wait wait, hold on. Don't you know Nithyananda was framed? That video was morphed. It was proven in court, not just in Indian court but even in USA as well. All the TV channels which had broadcast that video were ordered to apologize.
Check this:
http://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...ise-to-Ranjitha/2013/09/03/article1765099.ece

Friend: Whatever!! But you know Asaram has made some unwanted irresponsible statements.

Me: Wait for a sec. I will come to it later. By the way, I saw your recent post glorifying Muhammad Ali. Do you know what statements he had made?

Friend: Ali was a legend, my role model. Now I am curious. What statements he had made?

Me: He had always reiterated his anti-women stand by stating "Women are inferior to men". He had said "Males are made to rule females, a women possibly cant be man's equal". He gave talaaq to his first wife just because the length of her gown was less. He was a racist & said jews are devils.

Friend: Dude, stop it. Why do you want to look at all such negative sides of the legend? So what he has said women are inferior to men? That's just a statement. It might be his personal opinion. Why don't you look at his achievements. Doesn't he deserve appreciation for his accomplishments? He has won 40 medals in boxing.

Me: Exactly. That's what even I have been saying in the case of Asaram Bapu. Look at his contributions to the society. He has built 400 ashrams & 40 gurukuls.

Friend: But, but.. What about his statements?

Me: No but, no gut. You agree that Muhammad Ali made irresponsible statements and still want to glorify him because you want to look at the positive side that he won 40 medals for himself. Whereas in the case of Asaram Bapu, you don't want to appreciate him for building 400 ashrams & 40 gurukuls (not for himself but for citizens). Why this double standards? Either praise both Muhammad Ali & Asaram Bapu for their accomplishments while ignoring their statements, or criticize/disown both for their statements & ignore their accomplishments. But this selective appraisal of Muhammad Ali & selective defamation of Asaram just shows your confusion & vulnerability. Why this hypocrisy? Have you fallen for the secular media propaganda?

<5 mins>
Me: Why no reply yet? Are you there?

<Your message could not be delivered because you are blocked by the remote user>

PS:
What I have mentioned in this post is just the tip of the iceberg. He had made much more inflammatory & controversial statements.
Surprisingly the same liberals who disown Asaram Bapu for just 1 controversial statement, are trying to lecture us to be a bit liberal towards Muhammad Ali & respect him for his achievements. Here is one such recent piece:
http://www.firstpost.com/world/muha...-why-do-we-need-to-whitewash-him-2818956.html

In this interview excerpt, you can hear it directly from the horse's mouth, insulting women who wear short dresses & implying that every sane woman should cover up fully including hijab:

Racism controversy:
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/213354#.V1bZG3F97nA

However, I am not asking anybody to disrespect Muhammad Ali. I also respect him for his achievements & I know he is a role model for many. Having said that, all that I am asking is for some consistency in logic. If you want to respect Muhammad Ali for his accomplishments despite his controversies, then you must apply the same logic to Asaram Bapu as well. Or if you want to reject Asaram Bapu due to his controversy, then you must reject Muhammad Ali as well. i.e It does not matter whom you respect or whom you disown, but all that I am asking is some consistency. Is it too much to ask for?
Wonderful argument. I have my reason to not like asaram Bapu, but this conversation tackles the hypocrites effectively.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles