Most muslims across the world want sharia law---PEW study

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Do you wish to live as per laws of Quran ? I can have my own interpretations. My belief is that the interpretation varies and is not absolute and can adapt to the time.

My problem is with the extremist view of shariah which is not consistent with modern age. In fact shariah according to me is flexible and adaptable to the time and not stuck in 7th century.
Not a Yes or No Answer. See this is the problem.
You in effect said Yes, which could in my book translates to you supporting Sharia, because all Islamic schools are united on the fact that Sharia derives from Quran (besides other texts etc where there is a difference).

My larger point was not to put you at a spot, but it was to argue that one's interpretation of such surveys should be made keeping in mid the way questions were framed.

Please refer to my original point also.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is like asking an otherwise religious Sikh who has cut his beard, if you believe in Sikhism!

What would be his Yes or No answer?

In life there is nothing that is black or white, but various shades of grey!

I am not a Muslim, but I have read about it.

I follow many issues of Islam and I am not ashamed to say so, especially on the issue of personal hygiene!

That apart, there are many issues of Islam that are very scientific and logical that even a non Muslim could adopt for a better lifestyle.

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
It is like asking an otherwise religious Sikh who has cut his beard, if you believe in Sikhism!

What would be his Yes or No answer?

In life there is nothing that is black or white, but various shades of grey!
As a corollary, what is various shades of grey should not be seen as black or white. In the same vein, the survey which asks questions in yes or no, shouldn't be interpreted keeping in mind that things are not in black or white.

Which was my original point.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Such survey are malicious and intended to give wrong messages!

They are as bogus as the survey we see on our TVs.

One should not be gullible, but if raised, then one should discuss with reasoning!

Imagine a survey asking - are you proud to be an Indian?

Any damn fool would say -yes.

However, the reservations to being proud is conveniently missed out so as to present the view the survey wants to convey based on their agenda!

Who is fit to be India's PM?

Another bogus survey you see in the TV.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Not a Yes or No Answer. See this is the problem.
You in effect said Yes, which could in my book translates to you supporting Sharia, because all Islamic schools are united on the fact that Sharia derives from Quran (besides other texts etc where there is a difference).

My larger point was not to put you at a spot, but it was to argue that one's interpretation of such surveys should be made keeping in mid the way questions were framed.

Please refer to my original point also.
Yes and no answers usually don't get the right replies.

Answer yes or no

do your parents know you are crazy ?

See??

Following the Quran and making national laws based on it which will be based on someone's interpretation of it is something I will not agree to.

Take the marriage for example. Hindus have the "saat pheras", Muslims have the Nikah. Nothing wrong there. In fact nothing wrong with having separate civil laws like we have but it should be enforced only by national judicial system not left to shariah courts and mullahs who can be influenced, who can play to the gallery and twist the meaning of Quran or Shariah and set a bad precedent.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@Singh,

Could you give me a link where the Sharia courts have been given legal status?

Googling has failed!

Last edited by a moderator:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
do your parents know you are gay?

See??
See what ?

I am straight and am quite happy. I and my family have nothing against Homosexuals.

And its sad that you treat homosexuals with such ridicule.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Take the marriage for example. Hindus have the "saat pheras", Muslims have the Nikah. Nothing wrong there. In fact nothing wrong with having separate civil laws like we have but it should be enforced only by national judicial system not left to shariah courts and mullahs who can be influenced, who can play to the gallery and twist the meaning of Quran or Shariah and set a bad precedent.
Well said.

The priest can do great harm.

I am aware (through the media) of so many bogus marriages at temples conducted with the priest present and some friends, and then the so called husband vanishing into thin air!

There are so many so called 'rich' NRI who 'marry' in India through priests and not register their marriage and then vanish into thin air!

Hindu religion does not require registration unlike Muslim marriages.

So, if religion is the sole way to life, the modern complexities will make an ass out of religion!

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
See what ?

I am straight and am quite happy. I and my family have nothing against Homosexuals.

No answer a yes or no.

And no I didn't mean to demean gays

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
See what ?

Can one blame if one find homosexuality a wee bit over the top.

I thought you said religion is uber alles in India.

I take it that no religion advocates unnatural sex!

So, do you hold it against one who toes his religious beliefs?

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Do you wish to live as per laws of Quran ? I can have my own interpretations. My belief is that the interpretation varies and is not absolute and can adapt to the time.

My problem is with the extremist view of shariah which is not consistent with modern age. In fact shariah according to me is flexible and adaptable to the time and not stuck in 7th century.
Nothing wrong there. In fact nothing wrong with having separate civil laws like we have but it should be enforced only by national judicial system not left to shariah courts and mullahs who can be influenced, who can play to the gallery and twist the meaning of Quran or Shariah and set a bad precedent.
That's a Yes. You wish to live as per the "correct" interpretation of the Quran

But since no interpretation is absolute, you can't say that one interpretation is false/twisted and the other true.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
That's a Yes. You wish to live as per the "correct" interpretation of the Quran

But since no interpretation is absolute, you can't say that one interpretation is false/twisted and the other true.
Depends on the context. Off course I got married by Nikah ceremony. No harm in that.

It depends on what level are you taking. I am totally opposed to shariah courts especially the criminal courts.

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag
Give them every aspect of Sharia and they will soon realise!

I would love every Muslim fornicator stoned!

Every Muslim thief having their hands cut off!
@Singh, any opinion?
If a Muslim Woman is Raped, she has to bring 4 non-toxicated adult males as witness and if she fails to meet the criteria, she would be guilty of adultery and be liable to get 100 lashes or stoned to death depending on the shura's decision.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If a Muslim Woman is Raped, she has to bring 4 non-toxicated adult males as witness and if she fails to meet the criteria, she would be guilty of adultery and be liable to get 100 lashes or stoned to death depending on the shura's decision.
I don't think that they are thinking of bringing in criminal offences.

You can add that they have to be pious Muslim to be witnesses!

I would go on to add regarding the interpretation of the law. Even common courts have different interpretations and that is why one court's verdict can be challenged and the higher court gives a different verdict.

It is all subjective and depending on who is interpreting.

Last edited:

Waffen SS

Fanatics in Muslim society are too many than any other community.Sadly it is true.:sad:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
:facepalm:

Darul Qaza (Sharia Court) has no legal authority. It is a mediation body. If you are not satisfied, goto the court.
For eg. you and I have a dispute, We ask @Ray to mediate, if we are both happy with his judgement then no need to goto court. If either one of us is not, then we fight it out in the courts.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@Singh,

Could you give me a link where the Sharia courts have been given legal status?

Googling has failed!
Shariat Courts don't have a legal authority. Muslim Personal Law Act, (Qazi Act?), Article 25 and 26 etc. can be employed to defend their existence.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Can one blame if one find homosexuality a wee bit over the top.

I thought you said religion is uber alles in India.

I take it that no religion advocates unnatural sex!

So, do you hold it against one who toes his religious beliefs?
Religion is indeed quite important to Indians. And neither does any religion explicitly condone "unnatural" sex.
However, Religious beliefs cannot be imposed on those who don't wish to ascribe to them.
Hence, if someone does wish to indulge in unnatural sex may do so, in a few States of India, whose Governments don't view it as an aberration or a criminal offense. It is, however, still illegal in most states afaik.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Religion is indeed quite important to Indians. And neither does any religion explicitly condone "unnatural" sex.
However, Religious beliefs cannot be imposed on those who don't wish to ascribe to them.
Hence, if someone does wish to indulge in unnatural sex may do so, in a few States of India, whose Governments don't view it as an aberration or a criminal offense. It is, however, still illegal in most states afaik.
When I was in the field area, we used to have these cultural troupes sponsored by the Govt which came to entertain troops.

There was this Punjabi comedian, who was explaining what is the meaning of a glass being half full or half empty.

He took a cup and placed it sidewise.

And then said - Ai bhi wah wah, tan bhi wah wah!

He brought the house down with laughter!

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
I agree. In fact a simple case of libertarianism, is being interpreted as an assault on secularism and equality.
Sorry for digress, Just nitpicking.

Libertarian-ism demands an etiquette which should really (mansa, vacha, karmana) originates form ethics like equality. People understand very well when you use libertarian-ism with a tone of appeasement for vote banks. The problem is with the method.

Please continue with your discussion.

Thanks

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles