Mosque at Ground Zero? Plan angers NY

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Building a Mosque on what is called Ground Zero may not be a good idea, given that the Muslims attacked the WTC and hence the US.

The US has never been attacked by an external force overseas and so it was a body blow to the US. It is obvious that the attitude of being invincible has been shaken and reality exposed. Psychologically, it has affected the ego of the US. Hence, they would hardly be in a position to forgive the assault.

Notwithstanding the good faith of those who wish to raise a Mosque at the site, it is as good as showing a red rag to a bull.

These types of acts which refreshes the mind of the madness perpetuated on the WTC is what harden the stance of non Muslims.

It is better not to ignite fading memories.

It would be totally correct to state that "This is not the Moderate Form of Islam, This is the Way Islam really is!!!"

Islam is not monolithic. The fundamentalists are attempting to give it this 'sheen' with all their hogwash. True the adherents of Islam are more fervent in their religious norms, but to feel that they are impervious to the reality of existence would be a trifle way out.

It must be remembered that if it were monolithic, then there would not be so many sects (if it can be termed so) in Islam, nor have one sect baying for the blood of the other.

So, it may be better to judge with a clarity of thought rather than on emotions and paint all with the same brush!

Last edited:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
However I believe the proposal itself was the handiwork of some right wing people who wanted some new controversy and who want this conflict between muslims and christians to continue in some form or other.
This is borderline-conspiracy-theory, but I think the administration in the US wants to achieve two things: appeasement of the middle-east which is a big part of the Obama agenda, and testing exactly how far the public is willing to go in its opposition. Will there be massive protests? riots? if so how effective is the administration against those riots? Slowly it will sink into the public that things such as these are not worth pursuing/protesting. Then with a more indifferent (weaker) public, the administration can try new more audacious things that are against the best interests of the average American, with little or no opposition, because with each new 'event' that the public not willing to pursue democratically, the more indifferent it will become.

In India I have first hand experience of that. I've seen people genuinely concerned about rising food-inflation protesting unreal food prices, and how the administration cleverly bought its way around it by propagandizing "public inconvenience" caused due to protests, a ludicrous notion when it's the same public that's made to pay through its nose for basic food and commodities. So with each passing event that the civil society "keeps quiet" citing "I don't want to contribute to public inconvenience, I'm happy paying more than I should for food" or "I am a secular person", it is gaining indifference. Now that is a dangerous precedent for a democracy.

Events such as these serve as "general anesthesia" to the public. It's up to the public to become numb or oppose.

dulce bellum inexpertis

The US has never been attacked by an external force overseas and so it was a body blow to the US. It is obvious that the attitude of being invincible has been shaken and reality exposed. Psychologically, it has affected the ego of the US. Hence, they would hardly be in a position to forgive the assault.
I wont agree with you that US has had an attitude of being Invincible which was shaken & reality exposed. We have always believed that we are a superpower, not someone who is immune to attacks of any form. US just like any country can be attacked, but to what extent the damage would be and how easy it would be to attack US, makes all the difference. Remember Pearl Harbour.
The thing that was hurt from this attack on American soil was our way of free living, not bending to any restricted or totalitarian regime/form of government.

dulce bellum inexpertis

This is borderline-conspiracy-theory, but I think the administration in the US wants to achieve two things: appeasement of the middle-east which is a big part of the Obama agenda, and testing exactly how far the public is willing to go in its opposition. Will there be massive protests? riots? if so how effective is the administration against those riots? Slowly it will sink into the public that things such as these are not worth pursuing/protesting. Then with a more indifferent (weaker) public, the administration can try new more audacious things that are against the best interests of the average American, with little or no opposition, because with each new 'event' that the public not willing to pursue democratically, the more indifferent it will become.

In India I have first hand experience of that. I've seen people genuinely concerned about rising food-inflation protesting unreal food prices, and how the administration cleverly bought its way around it by propagandizing "public inconvenience" caused due to protests, a ludicrous notion when it's the same public that's made to pay through its nose for basic food and commodities. So with each passing event that the civil society "keeps quiet" citing "I don't want to contribute to public inconvenience, I'm happy paying more than I should for food" or "I am a secular person", it is gaining indifference. Now that is a dangerous precedent for a democracy.

Events such as these serve as "general anesthesia" to the public. It's up to the public to become numb or oppose.

I'd like to quote, one of our founding fathers- Ben Franklin here: Those who can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

dulce bellum inexpertis

This proposal of making a mosque was just a proposal.
It is not going to happen.
There is a lot of opposition to it.
We do not know if it will happen or not. The current administration is extremely liberal, and is manipulating our Constitution. Our Constitution allows freedom of religion, but tolerance of religion is something that has to be practiced by all the citizens regardless of their religion or majority/minority status in the country.

pankaj nema

Country flag

Mr Obama is simply tying himself up in knots He started with many peace overtures to make peace with Islamic world but Ahmedijad in Iran ,ALqaeda and Taliban in Afghanistan and now Yemen ,and Hamas in Gaza will not let any peace between USA and Islamic world.

Iran problem is getting worse.
The west especially Europe also is adding fuel to the fire with the burqa banning legislations.

There is a growing school of thought in Islamic world that USA can be brought down financially and economically with growing Chinese economic might and continous conflict with Islamic world

And in India food prices will remain high till we get a second green revolution.
Population growth too is a factor. People know it in their hearts.

Last edited:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
And in India food prices will remain high till we get a second green revolution.
Population growth too is a factor. People know it in their hearts.
Uh no...a third of our food is hoarded and rotting. It's not like demand shot up in a span of 24 months so high that 200~300% price hikes come about. Unless the government does something about it, there will be a red revolution, not a green one.

Sub-discussion on food-inflation ends here. I was just citing how it's similar in India as far as protests go.

Last edited:

ejazr

Ambassador
How nicely those pursuing the Mosque on Ground Zero use the term "moderate Islam" to their convenience. If they were truly "moderate" then they should not insist on building a mosque on Ground Zero when there's public opposition. They can build it anywhere else in the US.
tarun, how else do you expect the American muslims to counter the fringe fanatics if they are not given the space to explain their point of view to muslims and non-muslims.

And whatever they are doing, they are doing it under the laws of the United States. It is not as if they are illegally building the cultural center. If permission is denied by the NY council, I would agree that then the mosque should not be built. But when the permission is given and everything is done legally, then why is a place of worship being turned into a political symbol?

I don't see why this should be happening as long as everything is done legally. They plans for the cultural centre are publicly availble and the NewYork CityCouncil voted on it after taking all existing rules into account. It will be a thirteen floor structure of which only one or two floors will be the praying area while the rest woudl be swimming pools, audotorium, library e.t.c. all which will be open to the public--muslim and non-muslim.

From what little I could gather from my relatives in New York, the silent majority actually support it and that is why the council was almost unanimous in its approval. But there is a vocal minority opposing it as well but they would probably understand once their concerns are addressed and when they know that the entire initiative is fully homegrown and be as transparent as possible.

ejazr

Ambassador
A symbol of progress in Lower Manhattan - NewsWeek

By Joshua M. Z. Stanton and Zeeshan Suhail

In the rabbinic tradition, it is said that if you bring color to a person's face by upsetting them, it is as though you have physically struck him. If so, the Cordoba House and its leaders have endured a true assault.

This past month has seen a flurry of protests from extreme opponents of the Cordoba House, a proposed community center in Lower Manhattan that would be founded by Muslims but serve all New Yorkers. While dissenters comprise only a small minority of voices, they have drowned out the large and growing number of the center's supporters, as well as those who simply want to learn more about its overarching aims.

Individuals, like tea party leader Mark Williams, have mislabeled the Cordoba House a potential breeding ground for fundamentalism and tried to smear its sponsoring organizations, the American Society for Muslim Advancement and the Cordoba Initiative, both of which have a strong record of promoting interfaith dialogue and improving Muslim-Western relations.

Sadly, these protesters have failed to distinguish between the mainstream Muslim majority and the tiny minority of militant Muslims.

Opponents say that building a Muslim-led community center near Ground Zero, a site of profound American loss and pain, would be a "victory" for militant Muslims and a loss for Americans. In fact, it is the undermining of Cordoba House that would be a true loss for Americans. One need only look as far as its name - inspired by the medieval city in Spain, Cordoba, where Christians, Jews and Muslims co-existed and thrived for 800 years - to realize that these critics are misguided.

In fact, Cordoba House is poised to become a gathering place for the enemies of militant Muslims: mainstream Muslims. It will be a sign of internal resistance to the tyranny that a small group of terrorists has tried to impose on the broader community of Muslim believers, whose ultimate goal is peace.

We, a lay Muslim American and former New Yorker, and a future rabbi and current New Yorker, are proud to stand behind this initiative. It sends a clear and profound global message that Muslims will not tolerate extremism and instead seek to collaborate with followers of other faiths and work for the common good.

Global significance aside, just imagine the local impact of Cordoba House: the community center would provide, in its creators' words, a "cultural nexus" for New Yorkers to come together for education, performances, sports and person-to-person interaction.

New York is one of the most religiously diverse cities in the world. Where better to create a space where Muslim, Jewish, Christian and Hindu New Yorkers, among others, can learn from each other through art classes, poetry readings, film screenings and interfaith dialogue? By investing in the larger New York community, Cordoba House is poised to become an incubator of social progress and haven of tolerance.

In many respects, fringe opponents of the Cordoba House have already failed - even before they rallied in protest against it on June 6. New York's Community Board recently endorsed the community center with a vote of 29 to 1, with 10 abstentions, and New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg expressed his support for its construction.

Yet for Cordoba House to achieve its true potential, particularly in the face of such radical critics, people of all backgrounds must support this initiative and others like it - politically, socially, financially and, most importantly, personally. For it to truly bring together people of all religions and even those of no particular faith, New Yorkers - and indeed all Americans - should voice their support for Cordoba House and speak up about what they would truly like to see within its walls.

By participating in this effort together, New Yorkers can reclaim Cordoba House from its detractors and help it come to fruition as a symbol of progress.

Zeeshan Suhail is a Board Member with the New York City-based Muslim Consultative Network. Joshua M. Z. Stanton is co-editor of the Journal of Inter-Religious Dialogue and a rabbinical student at Hebrew Union College in New York City. This article was written for the Common Ground News Service.

Last edited:

ejazr

Ambassador
Building a Mosque on what is called Ground Zero may not be a good idea, given that the Muslims attacked the WTC and hence the US.

Notwithstanding the good faith of those who wish to raise a Mosque at the site, it is as good as showing a red rag to a bull.

These types of acts which refreshes the mind of the madness perpetuated on the WTC is what harden the stance of non Muslims.

It is better not to ignite fading memories.
And this is exactly the reason why Muslims have to fight and struggle and strive to change this wrong perception.

I think those who raise objection are coming from the perspective that "Muslims attacked the US", which is unfortunate when many Muslims were also the victims of the attack. Muslims also lost their friends and relatives in the WTC towers. But the politics of fear as unfortunately dehumanized the Muslims and treated them as a single monolith all hell bent at destroying the US.

Even though the fringe fanatic ideology has claimed far far more muslim lives and that too in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, this same fringe fanatic ideology is being touted as representing the entire Muslim population.

If Americans think that Muslim have attacked the US, someone has to correct that wrong impression rather than just hiding it away and leaving that underground. The wounds have to be stitched with the truth before they can heal. I can assure you that this cultural center would never be a "sign of victory" that some posters are contemplating. Infact, according to Islamic law it is prohibited to bring down a religious place of worship or to build a mosque over a place that had been a place of worship for other faiths. What some Kings who happened to be Muslim might have done historically does not mean they did it under Islamic law.

I would request you to read through my above two posts as well as an earlier one here on this matter here http://www.defenceforum.in/forum/sh...Plan-angers-NY?p=164488&viewfull=1#post164488

The main point being that those who are running this Cordoba initiative are actually the enemies of the fringe fanatics who attacked on 9/11 but moreover, took and continue to take 1000s of lives of mainstream Muslims around the world.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I Still Feel Quoting long winding Articles about Sermons and Other stuff happening in the Middle East is Off Topic! Why Talk of those Countries when they are as different as Chalk from cheese when compared to USA? I mean, are the Middle Eastern Countries the torch bearers of Islam? Are there not Muslims living elsewhere? If So, Start quoting articles from everywhere and rename the thread! Lastly, the countries you all are mentioning herein dont proclaim to be Secular and what not! So again, No Comparision and no bearing!!! I mean even if some muslims in USA are originally from Middle East, they are Americans now and what happens in their country of birth, has no relevance! Hence, off topic, and not allowed!

Lastly, What about the Mosque that stood at Ground Zero before 9/11???? You mean to say, no new mosques can be built? Is it a Ban on Rebuilding a Mosque??

Last edited:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
tarun, how else do you expect the American muslims to counter the fringe fanatics if they are not given the space to explain their point of view to muslims and non-muslims?
By building the same or even bigger Mosque elsewhere. Building it on Ground Zero won't counter fringe fanatics, it will only make them stronger. There will be even more prejudice against Muslims, of all kinds.

And whatever they are doing, they are doing it under the laws of the United States. It is not as if they are illegally building the cultural center. If permission is denied by the NY council, I would agree that then the mosque should not be built. But when the permission is given and everything is done legally, then why is a place of worship being turned into a political symbol?
I don't have any reservations on the legality of the Mosque. Its construction isn't illegal and its permission isn't denied. But that said, for their own safety Muslims should use commonsense and build it elsewhere. It is the Muslims that are attaching religion to it. My stand is don't build any religious structure there, people won't take kindly to it. And yes, they haven't taken kindly to it. Americans, not as Christians, have deployed several organizations to protest the construction of this mosque. And you think this is promoting secularism in any way? It's only spoiling it.

I don't see why this should be happening as long as everything is done legally.
Because it does not end with legality. There is a strong public sentiment against the construction of the Mosque however legal it is. The public can still litigate against this permission in the courts.

They plans for the cultural centre are publicly availble and the NewYork CityCouncil voted on it after taking all existing rules into account.

It will be a thirteen floor structure of which only one or two floors will be the praying area while the rest woudl be swimming pools, audotorium, library e.t.c. all which will be open to the public--muslim and non-muslim.
That's not what it boils down to. It is a religious structure, period. It is anti-secular. If it creates a rift between people of different religions, it is anti-secular. The rift is there to see.

From what little I could gather from my relatives in New York, the silent majority actually support it and that is why the council was almost unanimous in its approval.
No, there are no figures of that silent majority. If they're silent, it is of no consequence to them if in the end the Mosque is not constructed.

But there is a vocal minority opposing it as well but they would probably understand once their concerns are addressed and when they know that the entire initiative is fully homegrown and be as transparent as possible.
-do-

Last edited:

dulce bellum inexpertis

I Still Feel Quoting long winding Articles about Sermons and Other stuff happening in the Middle East is Off Topic! Why Talk of those Countries when they are as different as Chalk from cheese when compared to USA? I mean, are the Middle Eastern Countries the torch bearers of Islam? Are there not Muslims living elsewhere? If So, Start quoting articles from everywhere and rename the thread! Lastly, the countries you all are mentioning herein dont proclaim to be Secular and what not! So again, No Comparision and no bearing!!! I mean even if some muslims in USA are originally from Middle East, they are Americans now and what happens in their country of birth, has no relevance! Hence, off topic, and not allowed!
Ahmed, if you fail to see the relation between MidEast & the situation in US,even after providing numbers of relevant articles to you, there is nothing I can do or say to you.
MidEast countries are not torch bearers of islam, but sure as hell they preach themselves to be. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with domestic situations in KSA, Egypt, Syria, Iran, to name a few.
My posts have been very much in sync with the soul of the topic, and the articles provided were for members to understand why we have objections.

Lastly, What about the Mosque that stood at Ground Zero before 9/11???? You mean to say, no new mosques can be built? Is it a Ban on Rebuilding a Mosque??
No one is talking about mosque 4 blocs from ground zero prior to 9/11. What was there, and what has happened (9/11)we can do nothing about it. That mosque was not built when religous fundamentalists attacked this secular nation in the name of what is taught or who is prayed to in the mosque.

And yes, we have reservations to "rebuilding" a mosque near ground zero.

It is same like you wouldnt expect someone to build a German Cultural Center near Auschwitz.

Sympathy to a particular religion is encouraged but not at the expense of sacrifices made and neglect to the lives that have been lost by the actions of the extreme fundamentalists of that religion.

S.A.T.A

In the coming clash of civilizations,secularism was most likely to be the first casualty.secularism as a national principle and political compass will be severely stretched and afraid will have to undergo serious reinterpretation if its going to survive as a governing paradigm...........The controversy over the mosque in NY,veils and minarets in Europe tel us the same.Islam and its popular symbols are seen as representatives of civilization,a civilization apparently at clash with their own(i e US).its only natural they will be unwelcome to an idea of a Islamic center at ground zero,this would seem as indignant as Japanese setting up a Shinto shrine at peal harbor in the 40's(even though it might appear are entirely out of context,the fact is they are not)

dulce bellum inexpertis

tarun, how else do you expect the American muslims to counter the fringe fanatics if they are not given the space to explain their point of view to muslims and non-muslims.

And whatever they are doing, they are doing it under the laws of the United States.

Absolutely correct. Legally, any religious body is free to contruct a place a worship anywhere on civilian land in this free secular nation.
Here, we are discussing about ethical & moral objections people have against such a place of worship near this location. It is responsibility of all citizens to show tolerance towards each other.

From what little I could gather from my relatives in New York, the silent majority actually support it and that is why the council was almost unanimous in its approval. But there is a vocal minority opposing it as well but they would probably understand once their concerns are addressed and when they know that the entire initiative is fully homegrown and be as transparent as possible.
The political & legal council has approved, as they have to abide by our constitution.

the silent majority actually support it
Not true.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Dulce, If I Proclaim Myself to be the Torchbearer of Democracy in India, Will I be the Torchbearer? Anyone or Any Country can say what they want to! But they wont be so!!! Understand that!!

You Should Remember, that if the Mosque that stood there was a victim of the terror attack itself, isnt it hypocricy that you wont allow another mosque to be accommodated?

Thank God, narrow minded people who call for Nuking Mecca are in a Minority and Have not much say when it comes to such stuff, atleast for now!

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
You Should Remember, that if the Mosque that stood there was a victim of the terror attack itself, isnt it hypocricy that you wont allow another mosque to be accommodated?
But that mosque was not a "14-storeyed structure that doubles up as a cultural center". The proposed Mosque is of a bigger footprint, almost monumental.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Though the noble idea of constructing Mosque at the Ground Zero should be lauded but I'm afraid this will serve as a propaganda tool for the Islamic extremists. The propaganda by the extremists will be - "not only we have destroyed twin towers but we also constructed mosque at the same place" and will be declared as a victory of Islam. This kind of propaganda will embolden extremists to attack more western targets. I think construction of mosque should be viewed with this perspective as well, in addition to what Tarun has pointed out.

ejazr

Ambassador
Politicians Rally Against Tea Party Bashing of World Trade Center Mosque

LOWER MANHATTAN — New York politicians gathered Thursday afternoon to denounce Tea Party leader Mark Williams and support a mosque and community center planned near ground zero. The politicians were responding to Williams' blog rant against the mosque Wednesday, in which he said Muslims worshipped a "monkey god."

"His spewing of racial hatred reminds me"¦of Adolph Hitler," Borough President Scott Stringer said at Thursday's press conference. "We reject him. We reject his bigotry."

Stringer and other politicians stood together outside the former Burlington Coat Factory building on Park Place, where the Cordoba Initiative hopes to build a $100 million, 13-story community center with Islamic, interfaith and secular programming, similar to the 92nd Street Y. While the Cordoba House's location just two blocks north of the World Trade Center has sparked protests from some 9/11 family members and many others, the local politicians said Thursday that the location was fitting.

"This is precisely where this kind of center for peace and place of worship should rise up," City Comptroller John Liu said.

In addition to Liu and Stringer, State Sen. Daniel Squadron, City Councilwoman Margaret Chin and Councilman Robert Jackson, the Council's sole Muslim, all spoke in favor of the plans.

Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, a leader of the Cordoba Initiative, said he has been surprised by the vitriolic debate, since he has led his congregation ten blocks north of the World Trade Center for the past 27 years. His mosque lost several members on 9/11 and distributed bottled water to firefighters afterward. Rauf said he plans to meet with the 9/11 family members who do not support the Cordoba House.

"I understand their concerns and I understand their fear," Rauf said. "But fear is addressed by ministering to the pain and that is what we intend to do."

Rauf said emphatically that the center was "not a mosque. Though it will contain space for up to 2,000 Muslims to pray, it will also host many athletic and cultural events, possibly including the Tribeca Film Festival, he said. The Cordoba House may also include a memorial to those killed on 9/11.

"We want to rebuild this community," Rauf said. "This is about the vast majority of moderate Muslims who want to be part of the solution."

Rauf said he was not worried that the potential landmarking of the Burlington Coat Factory building at 45 Park Place would get in the way of his plans. Stringer said the city would work with the Cordoba Initiative to ensure the new building could rise.

The Cordoba Initiative will present their plans to Community Board 1 Tuesday night.

The board's Financial District Committee unanimously supported the Cordoba House earlier this month. If the full board decides to weigh in, the resolution would only refer to the community aspects of the center, not the religious pieces, said Julie Menin, chairwoman of the board. Menin attended Thursday's press conference but did not speak, saying afterward that she was waiting for the board's vote before she expressed her view.

Last edited:

ejazr

Ambassador
Here is an OpEd from the local downtown Manhattan newspaper.

A Tradition of Tolerance: Welcoming Cordoba House

By Jean Bergantini Grillo and Paul Newell

Speaking at last week's Community Board 1 meeting on Cordoba House was both distressing and heartening. Distressing because too many voices were raised in anger, too many names were called. Heartening because our community ultimately embraced tolerance over division and neighborliness over exclusion.

No one in this community has any illusions about the dangers we face in this world. We lived through the attacks of 9/11 and years of rebuilding. Many of us responded that day and afterwards – including dozens of members of Imam Rauf's congregation. Our neighbors at Sufi Books (now Dergah Al-Farah), which has been on West Broadway since 1983, responded immediately and passionately in our neighborhood's and our country's defense – by helping to save lives at the site of the attack and by immediately condemning the terrorists and their cause. Rauf recently described his mission as to "embolden the vast majority of Muslims who hate terrorism to stand up to the radical rhetoric" and to "interweave America's Muslim population into the mainstream society."

When Ms. Grillo leads tours as a docent for the 9/11 Tribute Center, she asks visitors from all over the world to focus on the word "tolerance." What better place to teach tolerance than near the site where hate tried to kill it?

Lower Manhattan has always thrived precisely because we are a tolerant, welcoming community. It is no coincidence that the World Trade Center was built here - nor that extremists attacked this symbol of globalism and pluralism. It would be a danger to our economic and cultural future if we were to reject thoroughly legal projects based on faith. When the 92nd Street Y was looking for a downtown home, no one asked if Jewish prayer services were to be held there. We embraced the investment in our community. Indeed, after eight years of growth and recovery, now is no time to turn away such a project. Like the 92nd Street Y, Cordoba House will bring jobs, money and services our community desperately needs.

A thousand years ago, Cordoba was one of the most dynamic cities on earth. It housed the world's largest library. The great Jewish philosopher Moses Maimonides called the city home. It was a global center of trade and culture where Muslims, Christians and Jews lived in prosperous harmony. Eleventh century Cordoba's modern counterpart is New York City. We embrace that legacy and our neighborhood's future. We welcome Cordoba House to Lower Manhattan.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles